yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by yvolk » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:44 am

leszekj wrote: I installed the extension and I had two problems:
1. while trying to post a message as a guest, I saw the message: "Guest user account is not set. Please set 'Username of Guest' option." I could not get rid of it in any way.
Please, read information on the Homepage. There is description of these options there.
leszekj wrote: 2. Captcha is extremely hard to recognize, so this plugin with this kind of captcha cannot be used on a webpage.
Having these problems, I allowed only registered users to post comments and turned off the captcha.
I think that after changing this horrible captcha the extension will be great!
Yes, we discussed this problem many times, as you may see  :). Please, try Bigo Captcha instead, and tell us: does it work for you (I didn't test it yet...)?
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

leszekj
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by leszekj » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:07 am

No, Bigo does not work for me. I only activated Bigo captcha and deactivated the previous system captcha. I am not sure whether I should do something more.
I did not expect that the Guest account must be created separately, that is why I had problems with what I described in point 1. Now it works ok.
So I returned to the previous captcha (the "horrible" one to recognise letters), enabled it but used the dictionary. Now the words seem simplier to be recognised. And here I have the question: Where (in which file - because I did not find it in the database) is this dictionary stored? I think if I could set a list of shorter and simplier words, it would work quite ok.
Another thing which I would like to do is not to mix capital and lower case letters, and leave only one type, let's say capital letters. In this captcha mechanism when a capital letter is displayed, you may put a lower case letter and it is accepted! How can I restrict the set of letters to only one case: lower or upper (capital)?
Thank you for your help.
- OK, I managed to change the list of words, changed some parameters in the the captcha.php files and everything seems to work ok, the only problem that remained is with the lower- and uppercase letters. It is annoying because "D" is very similar to "o", so it causes difficulties. Is there a simple way to restrict the set of letters to lowercase only?
Last edited by leszekj on Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:58 pm

leszekj wrote: No, Bigo does not work for me. I only activated Bigo captcha and deactivated the previous system captcha.
Neither for me  :(
I'll send bug report to the author... (plugin freezes...)

Edited: Bigodines is unreachable: couldn't send no PM, nor message from his site  :(
Hey, Bigodines!  :D How can we contact you regarding your new plugin? (This thread is for other extension...)

What's about OSTCaptcha: I didn't dig into its code yet. I'm still hoping someone else will take that project and continue the work of CoolAcid...
Last edited by yvolk on Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:37 pm

I'm here.

just released another version. Please try with the new version and report problems here:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,234509.new.html

:D

idealdigital
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by idealdigital » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:33 am

I get the same error, GUEST_USER_ACCOUNT_ERROR, and I've set the guest name in the configuration for the plugin. I can't understand why this doesn't go away. Thanks.  ???

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:05 pm

idealdigital wrote: I get the same error, GUEST_USER_ACCOUNT_ERROR, and I've set the guest name in the configuration for the plugin. I can't understand why this doesn't go away. Thanks.   ???
Hi! There is this information on the Homepage of yvComment:
If you enabled guests to add comments:
1. Specify "Username of Guest". This user, (specified by his Username), will become Author of all comments, created by guests. Joomla! doesn't have built-in Guest user account, so you have to create such user yourself. Guest account has to be in Author group and may be disabled (to prevent logging on with this account). Setting this option is required for consistency with "general Articles" of Joomla! ...
This is not clear  ???

idealdigital
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by idealdigital » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:37 pm

Yes it is, Sorry I missed it!!! I went through it too fast!! THANKS!!!  ;D

alittle116
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by alittle116 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:40 am

Hello, I have just installed yvCommentPlugin on the latest version of Joomla1.5. When i click Post or Preview after filling out the comment form on an article, I get a 500 error staying Layout 'Blog' Not Found

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:27 am

alittle116 wrote: Hello, I have just installed yvCommentPlugin on the latest version of Joomla1.5. When i click Post or Preview after filling out the comment form on an article, I get a 500 error staying Layout 'Blog' Not Found

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?
Please install the latest Nightly build of Joomla!

bigodines
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by bigodines » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:37 pm

yuri, I would like to make a suggestion.

There should be a way to receive an e-mail when a new comment is posted. Most of the comment components have this feature and I think it is very useful :D

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:50 am

bigodines wrote: There should be a way to receive an e-mail when a new comment is posted. Most of the comment components have this feature and I think it is very useful :D
I agree, that this "mail notification of administrator (or, maybe any user, subscribed to content...) about new/changed content" is useful feature. As I know, Joomla! has no such built-in notification feature... Maybe we should think about separate mail notification plugin (that has some sort of subscription to content update, comments are just some sort of content...)?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment - version 1.10 released

Post by yvolk » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:00 pm

What's new in v.1.10.0:

1. Added option 'Immediately publish guest comments' ('No' - by default). If this option is set to 'No':
- Comments, created by guests, are added to the site, but are invisible until being approved (checked) and published by site Publisher or Administrator.
- Just like for general Articles, Publishers and Administrators of the site see unpublished comments in the frontend (in the same list of comments of articles), and they may edit and publish them (or, of cause, they may delete them), so these comments will become visible to other users of the site after 'publishing' (setting 'Published' option of the comment to 'Yes').
- In the backend menu "Components->yvComment->List of Comments" may be filtered now by "State" of comments - again, just like for all articles (including comments...) in menu "Content->Article Manager".

2. Added French translation (Frontend only. Thanks to Florent NOUVELLON).

tjay
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by tjay » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:22 pm

Behind the 8 ball here, I cannot even get it to install. I just saw a new update this morning and tried to install again but no go
I am running RC3 from the trunk October 5th
And the new updated Yvcomment
PHP 5 on the server
This day it is my wish that I helped you to live

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:50 pm

tjay wrote: Behind the 8 ball here, I cannot even get it to install. I just saw a new update this morning and tried to install again but no go
Hi, tjay!
I've just updated Installation section on the yvComment's Homepage. Maybe this is your problem  ???:
It is required to install both "yvComment Component" and "yvComment Plugin". Distribution package (yvComment.zip) contains both Component and Plugin zipped files inside it, so you have to extract yvCommentComponentX.XX.XXX.zip and yvCommentPluginX.XX.XXX.zip from that package and install them one by one.

tjay
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by tjay » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:54 pm

No I unzipped the package and tried loading both seperately
still did not work, cant find the install xml

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:56 pm

tjay -

Try the nightly download; lots of important changes since the first of October.

Amy :)

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:29 pm

AmyStephen wrote: tjay -

You're right, Amy! Joomla! RC3 had some problems with installation...
I've updated documentation to state, that Joomla! build 9213 (some days after RC3) is minimal for yvComment installation...

tjay
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by tjay » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:06 pm

got it, that did the trick
very nice

phreak_02
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by phreak_02 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:21 am

Hello all,

I have the latest Nigtly Build of Joomla 1.5 RC3 running and try do install yvComment. But too bad, i receive following Error Message:
Database errors:
Error message: "You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LIKE jos_content)' at line 1 SQL=CREATE TABLE jos_yvcomment (LIKE jos_content)"
SQL="CREATE TABLE jos_yvcomment (LIKE jos_content)"

Component Install: Custom install routine failure
Does anybody came across this and know how to solve it ?

Thanx for help.

phreak
http://www.cycomsplat.com - I work for you !
http://www.kindaktuell.at - I'm running this !

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:32 am

Database errors:
Error message: "You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'LIKE jos_content)' at line 1 SQL=CREATE TABLE jos_yvcomment (LIKE jos_content)"
SQL="CREATE TABLE jos_yvcomment (LIKE jos_content)"
This error was discussed several times in this thread :). You have to move to the MySQL v.4.1 at least (better go to v.5)

phreak_02
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by phreak_02 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:49 am

Mmh, i'm running 4.1.15 on this server.  ???

Thank you a lot, for your patience and your component.
Last edited by phreak_02 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.cycomsplat.com - I work for you !
http://www.kindaktuell.at - I'm running this !

valraven
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by valraven » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:53 pm

Is there anything special one need to do to install a nightly build? Just download it and write over your existing version? Are any settings lost when this is done?

thanks

Xaverius
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Xaverius » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:42 pm

I also got a problem on my website with yvcomment. The website was an RC3 install and I tried to upgrade the yvcomment when I saw the message that I have to upgrade J! to the nightly build. I copied the files and installed the latest yvcomment and end up with
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class jfilteroutput in /var/www/vhosts/xxxxxxxxxx.nl/httpdocs/libraries/joomla/filter/output.php on line 25
Of course I can install J! again as stated before but isn't it better to find out why this error occurs? My set up is:

Joomla 1.5 rev 9474
php 4.4.2-1build1
mySQL Client API version 5.0.22
yvCommentComponent 1.10.001
yvCommentPlugin1.10.001
Last edited by Xaverius on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crunches for http://www.losalcoholicos.nl and the Dutch Power Cows! Kom eens gezellig langs :)
http://www.hierbenikthuis.nl, my own test site

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:04 am

Xaverius wrote: I also got a problem on my website with yvcomment. The website was an RC3 install and I tried to upgrade the yvcomment when I saw the message that I have to upgrade J! to the nightly build. I copied the files and installed the latest yvcomment and end up with
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare class jfilteroutput in /var/www/vhosts/xxxxxxxxxx.nl/httpdocs/libraries/joomla/filter/output.php on line 25
Of course I can install J! again as stated before but isn't it better to find out why this error occurs?
Hi!
1. First of all, it is generally not correct to copy New Joomla package over older one, because Joomla is constantly refactored now and sometimes classes are being moved from one file to another. So, if you don't need to move huge amount of Joomla! data from old site to new one, my advice is to reinstall Joomla! and don't waste time, trying to figure out, what causes what errors.
2. Just because Joomla! is constantly changing, I have to change yvComment accordingly. So, it is natural, that one version of yvComment doesn't work with older (or newer) builds of Joomla!. In order to help you to figure out this version incompatibility, I implemented special Joomla! build number check.
3. As you may expect, there is no point (and maybe it's impossible) to make yvComment compatible with different builds of Joomla!, because Joomla! itself is so incompatible between builds (on the level of Joomla! API, that is being used by yvComment)  :)

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:10 am

valraven wrote:

Is there anything special one need to do to install a nightly build? Just download it and write over your existing version? Are any settings lost when this is done?
Hi! I found this topic for you: How do I install a nightly build?. It short: it's not easy, if you want to preserve any settings/data. And it takes two minutes, if clean install is Ok for you.

Xaverius
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Xaverius » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:31 am

yvolk wrote: Hi!
1. First of all, it is generally not correct to copy New Joomla package over older one, because Joomla is constantly refactored now and sometimes classes are being moved from one file to another. So, if you don't need to move huge amount of Joomla! data from old site to new one, my advice is to reinstall Joomla! and don't waste time, trying to figure out, what causes what errors.
2. Just because Joomla! is constantly changing, I have to change yvComment accordingly. So, it is natural, that one version of yvComment doesn't work with older (or newer) builds of Joomla!. In order to help you to figure out this version incompatibility, I implemented special Joomla! build number check.
3. As you may expect, there is no point (and maybe it's impossible) to make yvComment compatible with different builds of Joomla!, because Joomla! itself is so incompatible between builds (on the level of Joomla! API, that is being used by yvComment)  :)
Thanks for the reply.
I wasn't aware that copying a nightly build over a RC3 install could be wrong. I don't have any programmingskills so sometimes it's not obvious why errors occur.

So if I understand you correctly, although my site runs "problem free" without yvcomment it isn't "installed" correctly because I copied the nightly build-files over a RC3 install. Then I'll wait until J! 1.5 is official and make a clean install of Joomla.
Crunches for http://www.losalcoholicos.nl and the Dutch Power Cows! Kom eens gezellig langs :)
http://www.hierbenikthuis.nl, my own test site

Mika3l
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Mika3l » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:24 pm

Hi!
When I've installed V1.10 nothing with yvcomment works. I just get blank pages both backend and frontend. I have the nightly build from the 29th of November.
What to do?

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:30 pm

Mika3l wrote: Hi!
When I've installed V1.10 nothing with yvcomment works. I just get blank pages both backend and frontend. I have the nightly build from the 29th of November.
What to do?
To see the cause of the error, you may see your server log (apache log...) AND php error log (turn on logging to the file...).

In addition, you may manually "unpublish" (disable) plugin, changing information in the database using DB manager, e.g. phpMyAdmin: change to "0" value of the "published" field in the "jos_plugins" table for yvComment or other plugin....
Last edited by yvolk on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devil
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Devil » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:14 pm

Hi yvolk,

when i´m using SEF i get 2 different URLS for one Article if the Article have an readmore!

You can see it on my Site (take a look in my signature)
mfg Devil

http://www.joomla-aktuell.de - Joomla-Aktuell - a German Joomla News Site

fulup
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Anonymous "add comment" button requesting registration ???

Post by fulup » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:24 pm

Use lastest build and worked as described, I only miss one feature a "post comment" for anonymous user that enforce "login"

I don't want anonymous user to comment, nevertheless I would like anonymous user to see the "Add Comment" button, then when clicking on this button it would request for registration. This is a quite typical process in any forum with reading is open to anonymous, but first click on  "Reply" enforce "Login".

Outside of that it does exactly what I need.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”