027 - Create a unit test plan for the Menu Manager

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
EliteLegend
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

027 - Create a unit test plan for the Menu Manager

Post by EliteLegend » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:45 am

Alright I've read the rules but just in case I'm posting here to let you know my choice. I've written "I claim this Task" yesterday so I'm not expecting replies until a few more days. But, just in case, if someone knows what unit test plan for the Menu Manager is, I'd be really thankful if they can share it with me... I know its a couple of tests, but can someone give me one example?

Task claimed: Dec 5 Due: Dec 19

Google Task

[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]
Last edited by AmyStephen on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: 027 - Create a unit test plan for the Menu Manager

Post by jlleblanc » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:19 am

Welcome to the contest! I've marked your task as claimed on the issue tracker. For a better idea of what we're looking for, here's an example I gave about another unit test: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... msg1103280

Let us know if you need any direction.
Joseph L. LeBlanc: http://www.jlleblanc.com
Frontend components start here: /components/com_[name]/[name].php
Backend components start here: /administrator/components/com_[name]/admin.[name].php

EliteLegend
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by EliteLegend » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:24 am

Great! Thanks a lot... I will start my work then. In case I have some doubts about it, I'll get back to trouble you again :) Thanks again...

EliteLegend
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by EliteLegend » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:50 am

Hi,

I think I'm done with my part. Here's the statistics from my unit test plan document(I have described what each of the words - Actions, Sub Actions, Child Actions, Sub Child Actions in my design document):

Number of Actions described : 14
Number of Sub Actions described: 29
Number of Child Actions described: 12
Number of Sub Child Actions described: 5
Total Actions described in this document: 60

And yeah, I really didn't look at the numbers when I was writing this document. So I'm really not particular about whether I crossed the extra credit mark or not because I'm a big Joomla fan and have done this out of my personal interest. So, give me the extra credits only if you like my work and if you did like my work, let me know because it means a lot to me :) Also, I've tried my best to keep the document as clean as possible so kindly let me know if you feel something is missing or something has to be updated.

By the way, Thanks for giving me the opportunity... When this task is over, I'll take another unit test plan :) Its so much fun... Never thought my Joomla experience would help me this way...

Design Document(I could not upload it as it is big so I uploaded to my own server):
http://enigmaportal.com/Joomla%20Unit%2 ... on%201.pdf

EliteLegend
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by EliteLegend » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:56 pm

Forgot to change the Message Icon... Sorry about that... Also updated the design document further :)

Thanks...

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:54 am

WOWIE!  8)

That is excellent work! I honestly have no critique to offer. It is very precise. An action - expected reaction. It could be used to help facilitate a manual testing process. Or, hopefully better still, be the beginning of automating some testing.

Very, very, very good! You went well beyond the requirements.

We need to get some developer perspective on this. I'll try to get someone to review, ASAP.

Thanks!
Amy :)

EliteLegend
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by EliteLegend » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:28 pm

Oh... Thank you so^(the largest number one can think of at the moment) much... Your words mean a lot to me...

I shall be waiting eagerly for the developer's perspective... I just hope it turns out to be positive :)

jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jlleblanc » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:39 am

Looks good to me!
Joseph L. LeBlanc: http://www.jlleblanc.com
Frontend components start here: /components/com_[name]/[name].php
Backend components start here: /administrator/components/com_[name]/admin.[name].php

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:10 am

Unfortunately, this entry will not qualify because of the contestant's age. It's very unfortunate because I don't think i have seen a better Unit Testing Framework. I hope we can enlist EliteLegend in our community to help us get Unit Testing rolling. This is a very talented individual.

Give some thought to working on Unit Testing with us. Perhaps after the holiday season, you might decide you'd like to pursue that. If you do, Wilco Jansen is the Development Coordinator. He'd be a good one to contact. Or, you can contact me and I'll try to connect you with Wilco. I will make certain he is aware of your work. At the moment, they are very busy getting RC4 ready.

Thank you for your contributions to the Joomla! community.
Amy :)

EliteLegend
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by EliteLegend » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:51 am

That would be awesome... Thank you for considering me. I guess I will contact you after the holiday season :) Thank you once again...

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:41 am

Testing tasks using this plan have been created at Google, issues 165 and 166.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:32 pm

The link to the document isn't working any more. :( Can you check it and give a new link?

Thanks

Update:

The document is now available on the code.google.com siite attached to the task description.
Last edited by mcsmom on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”