Joomla V 1.5.0 - I can not install ANY extensions

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
gspark
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Joomla V 1.5.0 - I can not install ANY extensions

Post by gspark » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:21 pm

well I'm no dev and not even a computer geek but I do know that for everything to work most of the dir in joomla have to be chmod to 777 otherwise they just won't work, call me crazy but i know the difference between working and not working, i'm comfortable moving around the files and such, almost every other bit of instructions say to chmod to 777 this is maddness  :laugh:

all dir should be 755 and files 644 everything should work with these settings but they don't, go figure

worcester4x4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by worcester4x4 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:35 pm

I've chmoded everything to 777 and it still won't work!

I'm about to install a clean install onto a new (shared) test server. When I have time, probably Thursday now I'm going to work through the install and then do nothing but get uploading and installing working. I'll play with every setting I can find and hopefully I'll stumble across something that will work; knowing me I'll find the Grail and then not be able to remember how I got there  :D, we'll see.

Pete
In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.

worcester4x4
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by worcester4x4 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:34 pm

Update.

Just installed RC3 on the new server and managed to get the FTP installation step to verify (eventually)! Yippee.

I thought I'd cracked it but no, any attempt to upload results in a "JFTP mkdir Bad Respose, unable to create destination"

So according to Global Config the FTP is fine but no uploads will work, I've tried several extensions and templates.

One step forward and one back again........

Pete
In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move.

ozarts
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ozarts » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:45 pm

Hi All,

I encountered this problem as well right after I upgraded FireFox.
I then switched to IE and it all seems to work fine. So if you're using Firefox, try IE.

Hope this helps.

OZ
http://ozarts.com

Cathus
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cathus » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:17 pm

I had this problem too.

RC3 worked fine on my home Xamp Windows PC but when I transferred it to my web server I couldn't install anything extra.

I thought I had all the folders requiring 777 access set up OK, still wouldn't install any extras. I then realised I'd forgotten to CHMOD the /tmp folder to 777, when I changed that it worked OK.

mariusvr
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by mariusvr » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:12 pm

If installed properly you do not need to chmod 777 all of your files/directories! There remains a bug in Joomla that makes it incompatible with some sort of PHP settings.

One of my servers can NOT run Joomla 1.5, but can run Joomla 1.0.13 without problems.

I tried to install Joomla 1.5 on a different server that does not run PHP in safemode and everything works great. This problem is not user related, cmod 777 or browser related, but a bug that makes it impossible to run on some servers.

Cheers, Marius
JFusion is a revolutionary new universal user integration tool for Joomla. Visit http://www.jfusion.org for more details.

q_veta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by q_veta » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:36 pm

I'm agree with Marius . I tried all combinations and my online joomla1.5 don't want to work properly , but on the other side on my pc , using xampp is working perfect . I'm confused :( because my web server have all I need and extra than  xampp . It seems joomla 1.5 is not ready to run on all types of complex servers (I have separate IP's for webserver , ftp server , mysql..etc .....in one word I use a  cluster and all my services are on separate servers) . I will try to use a single server for joomla ...but that cost me too much and is not a good business :( to install all services on one server.

newman2009
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by newman2009 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:42 am

hello
i was have this problem but i think i fixed it , just open the config file and searsh about this words

$ftp_enable = '1'; >>>>>>>>>>> change it to zero , save the file and upload it

$gzip = '1; >>> chang it to zero also and uplaod it

now try to install your modules you will finde it working without any problem , i tested it with adsense module , jomseo
working 100 %
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cdkaminsky
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cdkaminsky » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:51 pm

I was getting this error using wamp5 and found this on another thread:

change the memory_limit value in c:\program files\wampserver\apache2\bin\php.ini to something bigger? If the number doesn't change in the error message, it didn't work.

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,225908.0.html

So dont change the php.ini file in the C:\wamp\php but in the one listed above

Worked for me... hope it helps others.

none
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by none » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:21 am

Installation worked fine... but thats all.

I can neither create categories/sections, install components/templates/modules.... etc... thought I was not able to create ategories/sections I wasn't even able to create a single article. The button just refuses to do anything. It just prints a # after the URL... but thats it. Tried with Firefox and Oper.

I had more luck with rc1 and rc2... but rc3 is actually not worth calling it RC cause one can't test anything exept the installation...

joomla 1.0.x works fine.

I am running apache 2.2.4 with php 5.2.2 on gentoo linux.

regards
none
regards
none

annabelt
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by annabelt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:28 pm

sorry for the double post but this is the trouble I had and I have now been able to install templates and Fireboard, in case it helps someone:
I was also getting this error message when trying to install components:
* JFTP::mkdir: Bad response
        * JFTP::mkdir: Bad response
        * Unable to create destination

Plus, when I edited global configuration, I was always prompted to change my admin password and sometimes couldn't save at all. Also, after going into global configuration or system info I couldn't use any of the top menu options until I logged out and logged back in again via the admin login page (frontend login didn't work either). I installed today's nightly build (4th Nov - originally I installed RC3) but the only difference was that it asked me whose password to change instead of offering to change the admin password.

I've had some progress from going in with Internet Explorer instead of Firefox. I still couldn't install anything, but using IE I was able to edit settings in Global Configuration without the 'Change Admin Password' box popping up, and the settings were saved (going into Global Configuration did cause a javascript runtime error though). I disabled the cache and the FTP layer in global configuration, tried installing a template again and this time I got a PHP memory error, so I uploaded a php.ini file to increase the memory setting. After doing these things I have been able to install templates and extensions in both IE and Firefox. In Firefox I still can't make configuration changes without being asked to change my passwords. However I can now go into global configuration and server info without losing access to all the menu options along the top.
Hope this helps somehow, I take my hat off to anyone who can figure out what's going on there.  ???
Signature rules: Literal URLs only - http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

malcolmlyon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by malcolmlyon » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:32 am

I posted in this thread a while back reporting that I had installed RC2 and couldn't install any extensions, but only got JFTP errors similar to what others were describing. I eventually tried re-installing with the latest version and, as someone else suggested (sorry I forget who!) made sure that the FTP layer was verified during the installation - which involved setting chmod 777 on all the folders specified, and also the root. After that, everything worked fine and I can now install extensions. Of course, its not secure, but you can presumably open up the chmods only when you want to install something, then close them again.

Hope this helps others, because I know I got VERY frustrated trying to find a solution!

DezineJunkie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by DezineJunkie » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:26 am

Like DHTML, LAMP, and SPA, Ajax is not a technology in itself, but a term that refers to the use of a group of technologies.
The "core" and defining element of Ajax is the XMLHttpRequest object, which gives browsers the ability to make dynamic and asynchronous data requests without having to reload a page. And so it eliminates the need for page refreshes.

I am a newbie- is the core difference between 1.0 and 1.5 AJAX?
Could you expand a bit to explain. Doesnt WP use AJAX?

NateKolvek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by NateKolvek » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:55 pm

I suggest upgrading to the nightly build, have had less problems with 1.5 since.

Alex.
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Alex. » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:21 pm

I'm getting this problem too, my error log confirms its to do with the memory limit:

Code: Select all

[Fri Nov 16 20:16:41 2007] [error] [client **.**.**.***] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1508303 bytes) in /var/www/html/libraries/joomla/filesystem/archive/zip.php on line 297, referer: http://www.*********.com/administrator/index.php
I tried to raise the memory limit with an ini set, but it hasn't worked :(
I'm now going to ask my host to raise the limit (somehow I doubt they will be happy :( ), isn't it a bit much for the script to want 15MB of memory?

Ok, I managed to get around this by manually uploading an extracted version of the mod
Its a bit of a faf, but it works...
Last edited by Alex. on Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfarrell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bfarrell » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:48 pm

I have the same problems with uploading extensions. I am using a nightly build from 11-13. I have sef and mod_rewrite set to on with the standard htaccess file. In htaccess I have added a line for enabling php5.2.4. Also ftp layer is set to on.

With the htaccess used I cannot edit settings for seo or ftp. I also cannot upload files getting any of the afore mentioned errors depending on the install.

If I rename the htaccess- remove it, I can install extensions, as well as change ftp and seo settings, with no problems.

BTW, I do not need to turn off ftp layer to install extensions, just htaccess.

Do not know why, hope this helps.

civoc
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by civoc » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:59 am

I had the same problem.

I installed it new and provided ftp info and access for joomla during the configuration process  at the beginning. You'll be asked one more time when going to your cpanel to fill in your ftp access then Works like a charm now.

Hope that helps

whitebirch
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by whitebirch » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:45 pm

I'll chime in now.  I moved my site from a php4 server to a php5 server and not I can't install anything or use any new categories or sections.  I also see writable for all my Joomla files when the fact is I have them at 755 via my ftp client.  Do we have a solution for this?  Seem to be a big one. 

mofodojodino
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mofodojodino » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:31 am

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this will help anyone, but I have had some issues trying to install extensions etc...

So I installed a copy on my local system and had no issues, everything was fine. I then decided to compare my configuration.php files between the 2 systems and found that

Code: Select all

var $legacy = 0;
was missing from the problematic system. Once I added it to my configuration.php I had no issues anymore.

I have a feeling that this was needed a while back before the legacy plugin was available and something must still rely on this config setting.

I hope that this helps some people with issues as this is rather annoying to say the least.

Cheers
Dino

Sundog_AK
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Sundog_AK » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:37 am

mofodojodino...thanks for posting that!  :D

That turned out to be the problem I was having as well.  I had been fiddling around with 1.5 off and on for awhile and had just copied over the configuration file from build to build; obviously, they added that variable at some point after my configuration file was generated.  I could install extensions if I uploaded to site but not zipped from remote.  Odd that missing variable would cause the problem. 

Thanks for the post.
Chris

Jensrsa
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Jensrsa » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:55 am

i was have this problem but i think i fixed it , just open the config file and searsh about this words

$ftp_enable = '1'; >>>>>>>>>>> change it to zero , save the file and upload it

$gzip = '1; >>> chang it to zero also and uplaod it

now try to install your modules you will finde it working without any problem , i tested it with adsense module , jomseo
working 100 %
Don't want to talk to soon but on the site I'm working on this worked. Thanks newman2009

ingdade
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ingdade » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:29 pm

JUST TRY THO CHANGE TEMP DIRECTORY IN "/TEMP"

Remeber to disable ftp!!!
www.digital2b.com
Document managing with digital signature. Web Solution!

psarone
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by psarone » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:49 pm

Hi guys!

My fix to this problem was to set the "Path to Temp-folder" in "Global Configuration", "Server" to "joomla/tmp" without the double quotes.

(I have my Joomla installed in a subdirectory called joomla in my homedirectory on my webserver).''

I don't know but maybe it should be set to just "tmp" if Joomla is installed in the root folder of where you keep your web content on the webserver.

Hope this helps someone!

wene
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by wene » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:33 pm

hi all
i m wrtiting to confirm that the prob still exists for me and the 9600 svn version.

on a local server, i have no problem using J1.5, but its impossible for me to use J1.5 on a mutualist hoster under php 4.43-dev
i have tried theses test using com_hello4.zip from the component tutorial.

im in France and i have tried with

* free.fr hosting service :
- impossible to use the Joomla installer ( blank page after entering mysql parameters )
- after a manual install using phpmyadmin and write the config.php by hands, its impossible to install any component. ( failed to change directory permissions ... )
- i dont have the ability to change the chmod

* ovh hosting service :
- joomla install is ok
- impossible to install any component ( failed to change the directory permissions ... )
- the helloworld4 can be installed but not components with big file list.
- i have set up all the directories to 777 and the problem still exists

impossible to use the ftp layer too

i would like to try to help finding the answers, but im not able to browse the core code ( not enough experimented in dev )
Last edited by wene on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryansdistrict
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ryansdistrict » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:47 am

i got this problem too
please guys also pm or email me if you got a solution :)

ingdade
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ingdade » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:15 am

HI,
usually this problem is due to a wrong teporary path.
Try tto change it to "/temp"

If it deos'nt fix the problem maybe you have the righ path.

If you cant chmod file it means that you are'n the file owner.

Try this tip:

Enter your host panel.
Rename you site directory from the panel and move it to an other location
Copy the changed name directory.
Move it in the original position and re-rename it with the original name.
Deleted the old directory you have renamed and moved

In this way, using the panel, yuo are the owner of your site directory and you have all rigts. Now you can chmod.

This is due to the nobody user running apache, that is a different user from you.
www.digital2b.com

ryansdistrict
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ryansdistrict » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:50 am

aha but i am facing this errors too when installing templates

'

* JFolder::create: Could not create directory
        * Template Install: Failed to create directory "/home/ryan/public_html/about-lebanon/templates/siteground62"

'

Will giving temporary ability to the public to write on these directory solve the problems ?

ingdade
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ingdade » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:15 pm

Go to info system!

What is the situation about your folder permissions?
www.digital2b.com

ryansdistrict
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ryansdistrict » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:30 pm

:S a new error started to appear after i re atempted to install it again
please take a look at http://about-lebanon.com/

ingdade
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ingdade » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:41 pm

link does'n work
www.digital2b.com

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”