040 - Creating a Template that is Kid-Friendly

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
ibnhafsun
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: 040 - Creating a Template that is Kid-Friendly

Post by ibnhafsun » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:14 am

Yep, it sounds reasonable. Focus your efforts on what you have to do just right now.

The backend template would have an easier approach using a conditional with one of the current administrator templates modifyed (ie. user type).

PS: I am sure you will find a lot of help once you have finished, posting on the Template Board.
Last edited by ibnhafsun on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
...nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, panem et circenses...
http://www.todosjuntos.org
http://inmo-e.com

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:45 pm

Conditional.... Hmmm.... I can probably still do that - it doesn't seem to hard to splice it up. Especially considering that my theme is just an "uber-modified" khepri. I'll post up what I have once I finish the icons, etc.

Thanks,

Shantanu
Last edited by shantanubala on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jkids/ Joomla! Kids - the Project aimed at making Joomla! more kid friendly!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 pm

HarryB has a good "get right to the point" Template resource. There is a section called the jdoc:include statement and conditionals sections will likely be very helpful.

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:06 am

Ok! That is just what I needed - thanks!  :)

So during setup, the administrator of the site (super administrator) controls more complex things such as templates, databases, menus, and components. The kids will be part of the "authors" member group.

I'll try to combine the two themes (khepri and jKids) to allow any user group to get the default backend, and "authors" (kids) to see the special simplified backend.

*EDIT* - After editing the source of the template for a few times I keep getting a "parse error, unexpected T_IF"

I combined the two files into one and then used the if then statement for each chunk. For some reason, it doesn't like to parse it. I'll see if I can figure out what is wrong.
Last edited by shantanubala on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/jkids/ Joomla! Kids - the Project aimed at making Joomla! more kid friendly!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:38 am

If you need help figuring it out, share the template file so we can take a look.

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:42 am

I actually decided to scrap the idea - I realized that restricting what backend usergroup uses the template may cause conflicts with permissions and what a person intends to use Joomla for. I realized that that would make the template more complicated to set up that I had originally intended. If Joomla's developers can try making it so administrators can assign certain templates to certain usergroups without the need of coding with restrictive conditionals, it may make things easier for everyone on both the frontend and backend.

A question I have - Is it ok to license the template under a MIT License?

I'm almost done, and I will definately have it posted up here tomorrow. :)

Thanks,
Shantanu

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:58 am

Shantanu -

Just an idea - but, you could create a NEW backend that is really just the frontend with one menu - the big buttons on your designwith a limited number of options.

On the default Joomla! install, after logging on in the frontend, the User menu is presented. When I looked at that, I realized that is essentially what you are offering as a backend. 1. Submit an article, 2. Submit a Web Link 3. Your Details. The only thing you would have to add is a list of articles (Manage Posts) that could be clicked, and then edited.

If you restrict your "kid's" posts to a single category, you could very easily create a little module that, when clicked, would present the edit window for that article.

Then, your REAL backend could still be reserved for the Super Administrator and you could avoid trying to mess with that template.

Regarding the licenses, all work submitted for the GHOP must be GPL'ed (unless it documentation).

Amy :)

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:40 am

Awesome! And then I could also use template overrides.

Then, I'd also be able to release two versions of J!Kids - one affecting the backend, and one affecting the frontend.

Since I made a TinyMCE theme which has a lot less clutter, it'd work out well. I'll start compiling what I have and see if I can go somewhere with it. It shouldn't be too hard, since the frontend has plenty of tutorials and resources.

Since I have the design and CSS as well as the help screen and Mootools effects coded, I simply need to dissect the different pieces and put it together for the frontend.

I'll still post the backend template tomorrow since the frontend template will be based off of it anyways. It's getting late (almost 11) and I have to be ready to wake up at 6:00 for the bus (ugh).

Thanks!
Shantanu

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Hope you caught the bus!  ;)

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:01 pm

Lol, I made it on time :D

But, without further ado, here's Joomla! Kids. I'm almost done documenting the source files and I'm also writing up installation instructions - just in case someone needs help, they don't need to look further than README.txt.

Feel free to browse through the source and tell me what you think. I also included the TinyMCE mod, which is a LOT more awesome than I thought it would be.

The language pack is on hiatus for now, and I'll probably wait till after the competition to work on that (especially since I want to focus on the template for the deadline).

Feel free to install the different parts in. To install the TinyMCE mod, you have to go to "your joomla install/plugins/editors/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/themes/" and upload/overwrite the "advanced" theme. I included the original version if you want to revert back.

*EDIT
Oh, wait, the combined package exceeds the attachment limit..... I'll upload it to my not-so-much-used box.net account.....

Download Joomla! Kids

PS - On the CPanel, click on the "what do you want to do? Do you need help" and you'll see my rendition of a Mootoolsifyed, ten-second rundown of the template overall. For now, to uninstall the template, simply delete the template directory and Joomla will revert to Khepri I'll see if I can include the template manager in a little bit.

Thanks,
Shantanu
Last edited by shantanubala on Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ibnhafsun
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ibnhafsun » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:25 pm

Well, I am going to take a look at it. My niece is sleeping (it's 0:30 here) but I am very inmature, so it should work.
...nam qui dabat olim imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, panem et circenses...

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:42 pm

ibnhafsun wrote: I am very inmature, so it should work.
Ain't that the truth!  ;)  ....downloading!  8)

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:58 pm

Thanks beforehand for any advice!

One issue that I just saw that I shall fix right now is the menu items in the toolbar - they're slightly squished together on the content/links pages. Other than that, tell me if there's anything I should change.

-Shantanu

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:16 am

OK - Shantanu - I'm going to need some help.

Can you tell me - step by step by step - what I should do with the contents of the zip file?

This is some fancy stuff and I have to admit - I don't know what to do!  :-[

Thanks,

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:46 am

Oh, gosh... I really messed that one up...

I may have to switch compression algorithms since I'm using 7zip.... I'll reupload so it'll work on any .zip extractor.

If it didn't extract properly, this should work - Download.

Now for the steps:

For the template, using Joomla's template manager, just install the "jKids.zip" file located in the zip folder you downloaded.

For the TinyMCE mod, use FTP and go to the folder "your joomla install/plugins/editors/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/themes/" and overwrite the "advanced" folder with the modified version included.

I'll try and figure out a more automated install for the TinyMCE mod.

The language pack for now is on hiatus, so feel free to browse the source and suggest changes, but it's not completely ready for use yet.

-Shantanu

P.S. - It's pretty complicated, so I understand your confusion, especially since it's just a bunch of files with no instructions.

Sorry for the confusion, and I really need to figure a more automated method....

*EDIT (instead of double posting)
I figure if I created a whole plugin for TinyMCE it would work a little easier for installation. I'll do that right now.
Last edited by shantanubala on Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:56 am

Rafa (ibnhafsun) and I are talking about your FABULOUS FABULOUS FABULOUS environment.

We will have a few comments when we are done being shocked and amazed!

You rock!  8)

ibnhafsun
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ibnhafsun » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:23 am

Wait, wait...

Your work has a lot of potential, shantanubalal. I'll did a quick and dirty install and I love some ideas. There are some work to do but you are going in the right direction, IMVHO.

The shortcuts and the moo help it's great. Keep on the nice work but...  be advised: I am going to test it tomorrow with my niece!

PS: I am sure she will ask for bigger icons. If she doesn't she won't have presents anymore.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:30 am

Wow!  :P There are so many thoughts going on in my head, I hardly know where to begin.

I think I'll start letting you know where I am coming from. I have my own way of looking at Joomla! and thinking about what it can be. I recognize my view of Joomla! has become kind of narrow - especially from helping people in the forums - where most people are basically trying to bang out a standard website. So, you stretch all of that thinking with your innovations.

I think the best thing we can do to help you is to avoid telling you "how it is supposed to be done." I think you have a great vision in your head about how to reach kids. You are simplifying. Bringing a youthful and fresh, playful feel into the environment. Making it theirs. It's something for me to see this.

Everything you have done, I love. It's all so well considered. The editor is so very nice - I think half of our adult end users would prefer it to the Swiss Army Knife of editor choices they face that intimidate them. ;)

The template is beautiful.

The choices are simple - easy to understand.

When you add (if you add) the language pack - again, just making it easier to use. Wonderful.

Things to consider:

- There will be an adult involved. This might be a parent. This might be a teacher. They will need to access the full backend power. Consider that.

-- It might be a good idea to think (even briefly) about a classroom (or family) website. How could it be easier still?

----- What if the username - and the article category - and the link category - and the frontend submenu were all the same value? How could removing those selections for the student simplify the interface?

------ What kind of extension would be needed to make it easy for the administrator (parent or teacher) to quickly setup the web (family or classroom) Setting up an ID could create an article category, a main menu link, a link manager category

-- What kind of information would you want to keep for a kid (profile) Kevin Devine has a UserMeta System Plugin  http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/usermeta/ that would allow you to create a nice Joomla! Kid Profile page where you could add data for kids (ex. favorite subject, sport, pet, picture, gender, pet, a little about me, facebook URL, whatever) to create a little social networking effect easily.

------- Again, the adult (parent, teacher) could easily modify the choices with Kevin's extension.

If there are extensions that would help you reach out to children, we might be able to create GHOP tasks that could be integrated into this solution. I want you to consider that, too.

Keep dreaming, Shantanu. Keep visioning where you are going. If we can possibly help, we will try. You are teaching us and I very much appreciate the opportunity to work with you.

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:59 am

Thanks for the suggestions! My ideas are also taking shape, and I think I made a great decision by working on Joomla and taking this task specifically.

The frontend idea you gave me was brilliant, because it allows an adult to control the site through a powerful backend, and allows the child to control through a simplistic frontend. I plan on using template overrides since the whole point of using that option was to seperate the two interfaces. This seems to be the only major issue with making a single backend template - sacrificing usability for power and features, or sacrificing power for usability. Why not have both running in conjunction?

If I can use khepri for the adults (since as you said, it is preferred to have a certain level of power and control) and jKids for the kids - running both templates in conjunction is the issue. The adults can accomplish the complicated tasks, and if need be, come to the forums and documentations here for help. The kids are hard to cater to, because unlike adults, they cannot go on the forums or read documentation.

In my opinion, a CMS shouldn't need an instruction manual, and that's what I'm setting out to do. (Who reads manuals anyways?)

As cheesy as it sounds, the possibilities seem endless when thinking about classrooms, families, and different scenarios.

I'll try my hardest to chug out what I can, and if I need help, I'll be sure to ask. So far you two have been giving a ton of valuable advice, and I don't know how good this would've gotten without it.

I'll let you know about any changes and updates, and yes, Rafa, I'll take a look at some new icons ;)

-Shantanu

*EDIT

Rafa, check out these icons and tell me what you think - would they work? They match the theme's goal, style, and color almost too perfectly.
Noia

http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/497

and
Gartoon
http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/1001

I'll have to look up the license though. Hopefully they're CC or GPL based. They are on the GNOME site, so it should be open, but better not to make assumptions.  8)
Last edited by shantanubala on Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ibnhafsun
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ibnhafsun » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:37 pm

Don't let me stop you: it was just a suggestion. Take it like a note I put on the boss' desk while he was working (and usually my boss not even look at my notes :P).

Gartoon is GPLed. I was not able to find the license for Noia, but I guess it is LGPLed:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/No ... ntent=3883

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:07 pm

It's not stopping me, rather, the suggestion helps. Thanks for all the time you guys are spending helping me out on this!

BTW - What did your niece think?

*EDIT

Gartoon is licensed under the Design Science License

I belive that is GPL based and allows derivative/reproduction works.

Gartoon actually looks better than FamFamFam icons because of the audience (kids) would love them.
Last edited by shantanubala on Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ibnhafsun
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by ibnhafsun » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:06 pm

It's GPLed: that's what the gnome site says and, if you download the package, you will see a GPL.txt

A quote from the README.txt
F.A.Q:

Q: What's Gartoon License?
A: Starting 0.5 Gartoon lincensed under GPL (read GPL.txt)
My niece haven't tried it... yet. She will do tomorrow. She is always asking about Joomla! (she said the first time she used his own account: "Hey, I don't have Joomla! like you!).

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:38 pm

Alright! With a little bit of editing and reworking, I currently have a blank frontend template to work with. I just need to modify and rework the CSS as well as the html/php to work with the frontend, use template overrides, and hope for the best ;)

I'm going to be out of town for a few days, but I will work on the project. I'll try and keep you updated!

Hopefully I can get things finished before the deadline.

Thanks,
Shantanu

thomasfedb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thomasfedb » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:56 am

shantanubala wrote:

*EDIT* - After editing the source of the template for a few times I keep getting a "parse error, unexpected T_IF"

I combined the two files into one and then used the if then statement for each chunk. For some reason, it doesn't like to parse it. I'll see if I can figure out what is wrong.
T_IF occurs when a statment before dosn't have a ';' after it eg:

Code: Select all

$a = 55
if ($a == 55) {
echo 'Hello!'
}
needs to be:

Code: Select all

$a = 55;
if ($a == 55) {
echo 'Hello!'
}
the ; is VERY important

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:24 am

Oh! Wow... I didn't realize it was something that simple and stupid...

Thanks!

thomasfedb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thomasfedb » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:31 am

shantanubala wrote: Oh! Wow... I didn't realize it was something that simple and stupid...

Thanks!
hey don't worry... i learnt a LOT while doing task 128
~300 lines of php...

btw this is GREAT, i'm going a way till the 2nd but if you create a joomla code and use svn or someting so others can contribute then i would be happy to, i'm pretty good with css, html, php etc...

Thomas...

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:39 pm

I'm thinking of setting up mediawiki or another piece of web software on my current site to serve as a host for the project. Once I have the first piece of code set up I'll put it up on my site. Bear with me, however, I still need to get the first version done.

Then, people can help me sqaush bugs, add features, and even add installation and documentation instructions.

Thanks for the offer! the Joomla community is awesome at helping out!

-Shantanu

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:48 pm

Ok, oddly enough, a filter was added to the internet here (I'm on vacation right now) blocking this site >.> took a while to figure that out....

Alright, I've been working on the template overrides and have created the main template. I came up with a great idea for the CPanel interface through the frontend.

Using Mootools cookies, I'll store "CPanel sessions" which allow authenticated users with permissions higher than a normal user (author, editor, etc.) to switch between the normal web page and the CPanel spontaneously through AJAX requests. If a person goes to CPanel and exits the page, the cookie remembers whether they were in the CPanel or normal page and returns them to the previous state.

I'll try and keep you updated, sorry for the lack of posts...

-Shantanu

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:41 pm

Thanks for your updates, Shantanu! Can't wait to see more of your fabulous Joomla!Kids environment.  :-*

shantanubala
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by shantanubala » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:09 am

Ok! I'm almost finished and hopefully I'll have this finished by tomorrow. I'll try my best to have it done on time. I'm also writing up some documentation/installation instructions and a good roadmap and project page for it.

The AJAX may or may not work as well as planned, but I'm trying out the cookies right now (they seem to hold some promise).

The CPanel will anyway be foolproofed using Joomla's session through the PHP IF statements.

Template parameters that I've currently included are (so an administrator who wants to change the template without modifying code):

*Note, thesse are entirely CSS based, an idea I got from browsing the source code of rhuk_Milkyway

Whether or not to show the CPanel AJAX link to administrators viewing the frontend
Whether or not to show the "Add a post" link in the CPanel
Whether or not to show the "Add a link" link in the CPanel

I'll try and add in the future (again, I'll write up a roadmap and plan for the project)
Template parameters for color schemes, turning AJAX on or off, changing the layout, changing the display of the sidebar, and whatever else I can cook up.

After the interest shown in the project by a peer (fellow GHOP contestant) I'm thinking of writing up a few tasks and was wondering if you could add them into the GHOP task list. My plan is to take my code and use it as sort of a backbone to add on the various things other GHOP contestants make.

Some GHOP task ideas include:
A Joomla! based icon set with an attractive appearance for people of all ages

Actually..... That's all I could think of for now.... I'll get back to you once I think of some more ideas for tasks.

Thanks!
-Shantanu

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”