036 - Upgrade a Joomla! 1.0 component to work in Joomla! 1.5 natively

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

036 - Upgrade a Joomla! 1.0 component to work in Joomla! 1.5 natively

Post by jbelani1 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:44 pm

Hi all!
My name is Josh, and I'm a junior in high school in New York.  I've been coding for several years now, and I have experience in a multitude of programming languages, including php.  This is really my first time contributing to the open source community and I am very excited!

Here is the description of my task:
Upgrade a Joomla! 1.0 component to work in Joomla! 1.5 natively.
Description

Select a GNU/GPL Joomla! component that works in 1.0 but for which there is
no 1.5 compatible version available. Upgrade it so it works in Joomla! 1.5
without requiring legacy mode. For each change you make document what the
change is and why it is required.

It is advisable to select a fairly small component for this task. It is not
necessary to completely refactor the component, for example, into an MVC
architecture.
Skills Needed

* Knowledge of PHP

Difficulty

Advanced.
Work Product

* Upgraded component code.
    * Document as described above.

Licensing

All code must be created using the GNU General Public License version 2.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-license ... .html#SEC4

Documentation written for this task must be made available under the
Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.
Extra Credit (optional)

Contact the original author(s) of the component and talk to them about what
you are doing. Report back on the response you received.
Time Limit

4 weeks.
I'm really looking forward to working on this.  I just have one question: is there any component in particular that anyone would like to see upgraded, or one that anyone would recommend?  Thanks!

-Josh

Claimed: Nov 28 Due: Dec 26

Google Task
[me=AmyStephen]Changed subject slightly for sorting all threads to match against Google resource  :)[/me]
Last edited by AmyStephen on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 36 - Upgrade a Joomla! 1.0 component to work in Joomla! 1.5 natively

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:02 pm

Josh -

Welcome to Joomla! Thanks you so very much for joining the GHOP contest. Your work will be useful for many all over the world.  We are looking for someone to help mentor this task. Soon, they will respond in this thread, introducing themselves to you.

If you have questions or need assistance, do not hesitate to ask. Have fun and good luck in the contest!
Amy :)

Schlu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Schlu » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:30 pm

Hi Josh,

I'm one of the people Amy mentioned :) I upgraded EventList to run native with Joomla 1.5 so maybe I could help you out if needed and answer questions you may have during your work in the contest. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Christoph

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:44 am

There are so many useful 1.0 components ...

What I would do is look through the tracker for gpl'ed components and then visit their homepages and see if there is anyone actively working on a 1.5 version. If not, you can volunteer or if the project seems dead, you can just do it.

Does that make sense?

I know one component that a lot of us use is mamblog and it does not work in 1.5 even in legacy mode and doesn't seem to be that active.
(actually their site seems to be gone).
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:34 am

Christoph -

Nice to meet you!  I'm sure I will have questions some time during this task so I really appreciate the help.

mcsmom -

Awesome!  I'll check out some of those components, and I'll also take a look at mamblog.  It does seem like their site is gone so maybe I'll send an email to the developer and see if a 1.5 version is in the making.  Thanks for the info!

-Josh

Schlu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Schlu » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:47 pm

Hi Josh,

did you have more luck than me to find a download resource of Mamblog (mcsmom's suggestion)? What I found are old references that this component wasn't updated since 2004 which isn't very promising. But I hadn't any chance to look at the code yet. Maybe that doesn't matter much. I will PM you my Skype/ICQ details so you can contact me directly if you need to.

Christoph

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: 036 - Upgrade a Joomla! 1.0 component to work in Joomla! 1.5 natively

Post by mcsmom » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:43 am

Hi Schlu,

I really don't know if it is do-able, but here is the most recent  file  I have for mamblog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:52 am

Nope I haven't found a download resource yet, but the download that mcsmom attached looks good.  It seems like Mamblog may be a bit too large of a component for me to migrate in 4 weeks(considering school work and such), however I will give it a try.  Worst case I guess is that I have to switch to migrating a smaller component.  I received your pm Christoph, but it doesn't seem like I can send private messages so I'll send you an email with my details.

-Josh

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:58 am

Josh -

How are you doing? Is there anything we can do to help? It would be helpful to hear from each of the contestants every few days, if at all possible. Look forward to hearing from you soon. We are here to help you be successful with your task. Do not hesitate to ask for assistance, if desired.

Thanks!

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:40 am

Hi all,

I'm sorry for the hiatus of posts, but you can expect to hear from me every few days now.  I've selected the component Vemod News Mailer to work with for this task.  This seems like a good choice because it is a medium sized component, and is well structured.  I checked their homepage and it doesn't seem like there is a Joomla! 1.5. version being worked on at the minute.  I also sent an email to the developer a couple of days ago just to be sure, however I haven't received a reply yet.  I'm making great progress with Vemod so far, however I just have a few questions and I would really appreciate if you can answer them.

I'm having a hard time finding the Joomla! 1.5 equivalent for the configuration variable $mosConfig_live_site.  I browsed through the Joomla! documentation and the forums but I haven't found a solution.  For the other configuration variables I've been using $mainframe->getCfg('variable'), but it seems that I cannot use this for the live site variable.

I've been documenting my progress as I make changes to the code.  I've been simply making sections in the documentation for each file in the component, and listing the changes I've made there.  However, I'm not sure if this is the typical way to make a documentation like this.  So I'm wondering, is there any preferred way to organize a code change documentation?

Thank you all in advance  :).

-Josh

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:37 am

Hey all,

Just a quick update.  I wrote a blog post about GHOP and my task on a blog that a friend and I share called http://www.cantheworldhearme.com.  It's pretty short but you can expect more posts about GHOP to come.

I'm making good progress on Vemod so far, and I expect to have a working version out by early next week.  I would appreciate if other people could try testing it along with me to make sure there aren't any bugs or mistakes.  I've found the Joomla! 1.5 equivalent for $mosConfig_live_site so there isn't any need to answer that question anymore  :).  However, I would be grateful if someone could give me a quick guideline for how the documentation should be organized, or if the way I'm organizing it is fine.

Finally, I was thinking of creating a post in the Joomla! 1.5 extensions forum listing all the variable and function changes I came across when upgrading Vemod to 1.5.  Of course I would allow other people to add their findings when upgrading components too.  The end result, I hope, would be a unified reference list for upgrading components to work in Joomla 1.5.  A list located in one place like this would be much more helpful and easier to use than hunting for the new variables in the legacy plugin code, Joomla 1.5 api, and forum posts.  I'm pretty sure there isn't anything like this yet, and I think it would be very helpful for the community.

-Josh

Schlu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Schlu » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:05 pm

Hi Josh,

seems I missed the last "new post" notification. Feel free to send me your work and I will help to test. I think your idea to collect all the needed changes is a very good one and it should also be a part of your documentation. For a documentation guideline I will ping Amy to this post. No idea if some special rules and guidelines for ghop development issues apply.

Christoph

edit:
Maybe it is a good idea to attach your work here so anybody can help testing.
Last edited by Schlu on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:16 pm

Josh -

I wanted to point out for you a resource on the Developer's Wiki for migrating 1.0 extensions to 1.5. I think it's a bit dated, but it will give you an idea of the types of information that would be helpful, if you are taking notes as you perform your work.

Ian and Chris, who are in charge of Joomla! documentation, are also GHOP judges. If you simply attach your notes, when complete, they can get them published to the right place. Plus, I recommend including those notes in your GHOP final entry at Google (attach them there, as well.) Certainly this type of "add on" qualifies as extra credit. It will be much appreciated.

Keep blogging, too! That's way-cool.

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:41 am

Hi all!

Christoph -

I'm almost done with migrating the component, I only have a few more files to fix.  I'll probably be finished by this Monday coming up so I'll post it here then for everyone to test.

Amy -

Thanks for the migration resource, I'll try and structure my documentation/notes to be similar to it.  It is pretty outdated, and there is a lot more information that could be added.  I guess my notes would help out with that  :).
Keep blogging, too! That's way-cool.
Thanks  :D.  I definitely will!

Thank you all for the information, and stay tuned early next week for a *hopefully* working version of the component :P.

-Josh

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:04 pm

How you doing Josh? If you have a second, I would appreciate a quick status update.

Thanks!

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:22 am

Sure thing  :)

Alrighty I'm am almost done getting this component to work natively under Joomla! 1.5.  I only have to finish the internationalization, and a problem with the logo not showing up.

However, I am in a snag with the component installation.  Joomla! gives me the following error when trying to install the component: "Component Install: SQL error or missing or unreadable SQL file. DB function reports no errors".  After getting this error, I tried manually inputing the installation SQL code into my database, and the SQL code worked fine.  I then removed the installation SQL files from the installation directory and from the xml install file.  After doing this the component installed fine, and worked fine.  Unfortunately I cannot make users manually input installation SQL code, so I have to get this to work  :P.

I thought that maybe someone could test it to see if the error occurs on their installation too.  If it does...then I am stumped.  Any help here would be appreciated.  I attached the component to this post.

I didn't include the documentation yet because I still have to organize my notes and the change log.

Of course if you find any other errors, let me know  :).

-Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Schlu
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Schlu » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:23 am

Hi Josh,

had only a quick look at it this morning (hope I can test your work properly this evening or tomorrow).
Your installation issues are caused because you forgot to add the sql files to the install.xml

Just move the *.sql files into the admin folder of your package and alter your xml as follows:

Code: Select all

[...]
<files folder="admin">
	<filename>admin.vemod_news_mailer.php</filename>
	<filename>toolbar.vemod_news_mailer.php</filename>
	<filename>config.vemod_news_mailer.php</filename>
	<filename>js.vemod_news_mailer.php</filename>
	<filename>install.mysql.utf8.sql</filename>
	<filename>install.mysql.nonutf8.sql</filename>
	<filename>uninstall.mysql.utf8.sql</filename>
	<filename>uninstall.mysql.nonutf8.sql</filename>
</files>
[...]
The same happens with the image. The installer moves it to the frontend components folder but your code expect it to be in the administration components folder.

Hope this help you to continue

Christoph

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:41 pm

Hi Christoph,

Haha that did the trick!  I don't know why I thought that if the sql files were inside the install and uninstall tags they didn't need to be put in the files section  :-[.  Well I followed your advice and now the component installes perfectly, and is running perfectly too.  Thanks!

I still have to do the internationalization which I hope to get done by the weekend.  I also have to finish the documentation, but it really just has to get organized.

I've attached the revised component here.  Let me know if you find any more errors or places for improvement :).

And one more thing, I have some commented code lying around in the component which I am going to remove.  I just have those there for testing purposes.

Thanks again!

-Josh
Last edited by jbelani1 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:26 am

Hi all!

I added another series of changes and now the front end works.  I also added the JText::_() function calls so to finish internationalization I just need to convert all of the language.php files.  I attached the updated version.  Let me know if you encounter any errors and such when running it  :).

Thanks.

-Josh

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:06 am

Hi all!

Just a quick update.  I will have the internationalization done and upload the revised component on Saturday.  Has anyone had the chance to try out the component for themselves?  If so just let me know so I am positive it works  :).  Thanks!

-Josh

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:24 am

After installing, I got a number of errors when I went into the Component in the backend Administrator (content page):
Compiled news mails can not be previewed before the compilation date/time has passed!
Notice: Undefined variable: customrecipients in D:\VirtualWebsites\JoomlaPlace\JoomlaGHOP\administrator\components\com_vemod_news_mailer\admin.vemod_news_mailer.php on line 919

Notice: Undefined variable: frontdescription in D:\VirtualWebsites\JoomlaPlace\JoomlaGHOP\administrator\components\com_vemod_news_mailer\admin.vemod_news_mailer.php on line 920

Notice: Undefined variable: compilationtitle in D:\VirtualWebsites\JoomlaPlace\JoomlaGHOP\administrator\components\com_vemod_news_mailer\admin.vemod_news_mailer.php on line 921

Notice: Undefined variable: compilationintrotext in D:\VirtualWebsites\JoomlaPlace\JoomlaGHOP\administrator\components\com_vemod_news_mailer\admin.vemod_news_mailer.php on line 922

Notice: Undefined variable: newscompileday in D:\VirtualWebsites\JoomlaPlace\JoomlaGHOP\administrator\components\com_vemod_news_mailer\admin.vemod_news_mailer.php on line 923

Notice: Undefined variable: newscompiletime in D:\VirtualWebsites\JoomlaPlace\JoomlaGHOP\administrator\components\com_vemod_news_mailer\admin.vemod_news_mailer.php on line 924
On the Compiled news page, when I click Preview, the image does not show.

I've not worked with this extension before and it certainly appears there are a number of options. Have you made contact with the extension provider? I wonder if that person(s) would be willing to do a review? Would you mind asking and see what they say?

It could be very helpful for us, as judges, to have their perspective. It could be very helpful to them to have this work done.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for your contributions to the Joomla! community - this extension is excellent!

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:50 pm

Hi Amy

Thanks for giving the component a test!  I fixed the problem with the image now.  However, I cannot replicate those series of errors on my Joomla! installation.  I will take a look at it today while I add the language files.  I'll have a revised version of the component up tonight.

I've tried contacting the developers of Vemod a couple of times so far, and after a couple of weeks I still haven't received a reply from them.  I'll keep on trying though, it would definitely be great if they could give me a review.

-Josh

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:30 am

Hi all!

Alright the new version of the component is up.  It now has all of the language files from the original...except one.  The language file I left out for now is germani.php.  I did a lot of searching but I couldn't figure out what language tag this corresponds to.  I think it would be either de-AT or de-CH but I'm not sure.  Any help regarding this would be very appreciated!

I haven't fixed the errors you found yet Amy but I'm working on them.  It's difficult because I cannot see if the error is fixed on my own because I'm not getting them.  Every one of those variables that are said to be undefined is serialized post data.  I'm not sure how to go about fixing this, but I'll get back to you about its progress.

Finally, I have a quick question about the due date for this task.  Does this component have to be submitted at Google by December 26, or do I have to initiate a final review on that date?

Thanks!

-Josh

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:27 am

Hi,

I'm not getting the errors Amy got, so I'm wondering if it is a difference in our php versions or something like that. I am running php 4.4.7 and I know Amy is on a version of 5.

A couple of comments:

The confirmation email sent me to a page which generated a 500 error.

Here's what it said:

JDatabaseMySQL::query: 1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1 SQL=INSERT INTO jos_vemod_news_mailer_subs (userid,catid) VALUES (63,)

Call stack
# Function Location
1 jsite->dispatch() /home/ronnie3/public_html/rc4/index.php:68
2 jcomponenthelper::rendercomponent() /home/ronnie3/public_html/rc4/includes/application.php:124
3 require_once() /home/ronnie3/public_html/rc4/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:157
4 vmn_updatesubs() /home/ronnie3/public_html/rc4/components/com_vemod_news_mailer/vemod_news_mailer.php:556
5 jdatabasemysql->query() /home/ronnie3/public_html/rc4/components/com_vemod_news_mailer/vemod_news_mailer.html.php:765
6 jerror::raiseerror() /home/ronnie3/public_html/rc4/libraries/joomla/database/database/mysql.php:222
7 jerror::raise() /home/ronnie3/public_html/rc4/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:173
8 jexception->jobject() /home/ronnie3/public_html/rc4/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:138
9 call_user_func_array() /home/ronnie3/public_html/rc4/libraries/joomla/base/object.php:49
10 jexception->__construct()

Also on the back end I am getting:

Vemod News Mailer: Config Saved ! Warning: /home/ronnie3/public_html/rc4/modules/mod_latestnews.php does not exist! Warning: /home/ronnie3/public_html/rc4/modules/mod_mostread.php does not exist!

Also on the backend when saving, I get this message:

Vemod News Mailer: Config Saved ! Warning: /home/ronnie3/public_html/rc4/modules/mod_latestnews.php does not exist! Warning: /home/ronnie3/public_html/rc4/modules/mod_mostread.php does not exist!

THis is going to be a very cool and useful component.
Last edited by mcsmom on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:15 pm

Hi mcsmom!

Thanks for giving the component a test!  Can you post the link URL the confirmation email sent you and the category that you tried to subscribe to?  This would help me diagnose the problem.

I'm using PHP version 5.2.4 on my localhost webserver, and version 5.2.5 on my host.  I'm not getting Amy's error messages in either version.  What version of PHP do you use Amy?

Also on the backend when saving, I get this message:

Vemod by default assumes that you use those two modules.  It can be changed under the News Mails tab in sidebar modules by just removing them from the list.  However I was wondering if I should stop Vemod from automatically assuming that the user has those modules because the modules aren't upgraded to Joomla! 1.5 and they don't come with the component.

Thanks again!

-Josh

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:30 am

Hi all

I think I may have fixed the errors you received Amy.  I'm not positive though because I need you to check it  :).  I've attached the updated component.

In this version I also removed the comments I used for testing.

-Josh

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:46 pm

Here is the link:

http://www.ronnielichtman.com/rc4//inde ... =63&catid=

DatabaseMySQL::query: 1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1 SQL=INSERT INTO jos_vemod_news_mailer_subs (userid,catid) VALUES (63,)

Call stack
# Function Location
1 jsite->dispatch() /home/xxxxx/public_html/rc4/index.php:68
2 jcomponenthelper::rendercomponent() /home/xxxxx/public_html/rc4/includes/application.php:124
3 require_once() /home/xxxxx/public_html/rc4/libraries/joomla/application/component/helper.php:157
4 vmn_updatesubs() /home/xxxxx/public_html/rc4/components/com_vemod_news_mailer/vemod_news_mailer.php:556
5 jdatabasemysql->query() /home/xxxx/public_html/rc4/components/com_vemod_news_mailer/vemod_news_mailer.html.php:765
6 jerror::raiseerror() /home/xxxx/public_html/rc4/libraries/joomla/database/database/mysql.php:222
7 jerror::raise() /home/xxxx/public_html/rc4/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:173
8 jexception->jobject() /home/xxxx/public_html/rc4/libraries/joomla/error/error.php:138
9 call_user_func_array() /home/xxxxx/public_html/rc4/libraries/joomla/base/object.php:49
10 jexception->__construct()

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:40 pm

Hi all

I think I fixed your error mcsmom so give it another try with the updated component.  Amy when you get the chance can you try this revised version and tell me if you still get those errors?  Thanks!  I'm going to get a copy of my documentation up by tonight so stayed tuned  :).

-Josh

jbelani1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jbelani1 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:46 am

Happy Holidays Everyone!

I'm sorry I didn't get a version of the notes up a couple of days ago.  I thought I was going to have more time but we had a surprise visit from family from out of state.  So for the past several days I've been doing stuff with them and have been busy.

I noticed that mcsmom said something about a grace period for people with due dates during the holidays, and I was wondering if I could get another couple of days to work out the rest of the errors and polish up the component?  I would really appreciate it.

If you find anymore errors when running it, just let me know.

Happy Holidays!

-Josh

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”