057 - Write a document describing how to use CSS class suffixes in Joomla! 1.5.

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
joanna.szoltysek
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

057 - Write a document describing how to use CSS class suffixes in Joomla! 1.5.

Post by joanna.szoltysek » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:24 pm

Hello  :) I'm working for a task  "57 - Write a document describing how to use CSS class suffixes in Joomla! 1.5".

Here is a description:

Description
The document should describe what class suffixes are and why they can be
useful, giving a simple illustrated example as an introduction. The
document should then go on to list the entities for which suffixes may be
added then describe in detail for each: how to add a suffix, which CSS
classes are affected and how it might be used in practice.

The document should comply with current Joomla! Editorial Style Guidelines
and guidelines for the Template Tutorials Project.

Documentation written for this task must be made available under the
Joomla! Electronic Documentation License.

Skills Needed
Some prior knowledge of CSS would be useful.

Difficulty
Basic.

Work Product
Document as described above.

Extra Credit (optional)

Time Limit
2 weeks.

I'm not sure that I'm anderstand this question. Do i have create a document in Joomla! (something like website) and i write there how to use CSS in Joomla! and put something pictures with use CSS ?  :-[

Google Task

Claimed: Dec 15 Due Dec 29
[me=AmyStephen]added project information[/me]
Last edited by AmyStephen on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

justo.derivera
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: #57 - Write a document describing how to use CSS class suffixes in Joomla! 1.5.

Post by justo.derivera » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:38 pm

joanna.szoltysek wrote: I'm not sure that I'm anderstand this question. Do i have create a document in Joomla! (something like website) and i write there how to use CSS in Joomla! and put something pictures with use CSS ?  :-[
I think that you have to create a normal document (like a word file or a pdf) describing "how to use the CSS class suffixes in joomla! 1.5"

depresz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: #57 - Write a document describing how to use CSS class suffixes in Joomla! 1.5.

Post by depresz » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:44 pm

Hello Joanna (witaj)
I think too that you have to create this in Open Office or something like that ;)
Great Hacking Opportunity Project
numbers? sure! 3d 22h on forum, about 500h of work <- this is real GHOP

Chris Davenport
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: #57 - Write a document describing how to use CSS class suffixes in Joomla!

Post by Chris Davenport » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:09 pm

Just to add the "official" clarification....

What we are looking for is a standalone document, most probably OpenOffice Writer.  Eventually we will probably move the content to MediaWiki to become part of the official template documentation, but for the purposes of this contest OO Writer will be fine.

Good luck with the contest!

Chris.
Chris Davenport

Davenport Technology Services http://www.davenporttechnology.com/
Lion Coppice http://www.lioncoppice.org/

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 057 - Write a document describing how to use CSS class suffixes in Joomla! 1

Post by AmyStephen » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:52 pm

joanna.szoltysek wrote: The document should describe what class suffixes are and why they can be
useful, giving a simple illustrated example as an introduction. The
document should then go on to list the entities for which suffixes may be
added then describe in detail for each: how to add a suffix, which CSS
classes are affected and how it might be used in practice.

I'm not sure that I'm anderstand this question. Do i have create a document in Joomla! (something like website) and i write there how to use CSS in Joomla! and put something pictures with use CSS ?  :-[

This is an image of the mainmenu's module - in the Module Editor. (If you squint  :P), you can see in the Advanced Parameters on the right are a number of ways you can "markup" Joomla!'s output to provide hooks for Styling.

As an example, I defined:
  • Menu Tag ID as MenuTag
  • Menu Class Suffice as menuclass
  • Module Class Suffix as _menu
Your job, in writing this documentation, would be to demonstrate how those module parameter settings impact the xHTML - and how you can use those values within your CSS.

Make sense?

Good luck!
Amy :)

joanna.szoltysek
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: 057 - Write a document describing how to use CSS class suffixes in Joomla! 1

Post by joanna.szoltysek » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:58 am

Thanks everyone :D

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:30 pm

Joanna -

We like to have contestants update us every few days on their progress. Success with this task will require the involvement, review, feedback and direction of members of the community.

Please let us know how you are doing and share any draft you might have. If you have found you are simply too busy this time of year to do this task, please let us know that, as well, so we can offer the task for others.

If we have not heard from you in the next day, or so, we will re-open the task for others.

Thanks!

joanna.szoltysek
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joanna.szoltysek » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:44 am

I do this task but I must have more time :( English is a difficult language for me :(  :-[

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:52 pm

Joanna -

Thanks for reporting back. I am so impressed with those of you who use English as a second language. English is the only language I know and I struggle with it! So, do not be concerned about that. We can help to smooth out rough spots in your documentation.

We also work with students who need more time if they are working with the community and sharing their progress. So, we are more likely to extend your time if you begin sharing what you have accomplished and asking questions on a regular basis. We have not extended time for projects where nothing has been shared, as of yet. That is simply not fair to other contestants.

This is a big project and there is nearly a week left before your deadline. There is time to start interacting with the community by posting your work and asking questions.

We are here to help you be successful with your task. This is a very important task for our community and we appreciate you taking it!

Talk to you later,

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:42 pm

Joanna -

I don't mind the delay - but you need to post what you have for the community to review. Then, we can guide you. I am confident we can be successful if we work together.

Please respond with the work you have complete within a day or two, or we really will have to open the task for others. It is already past due and we have not seen anything that you have accomplished.

Thanks for understanding!

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:54 am

Joanna -

We need to close this, now. I am sorry that it didn't work out. We need to comply with the contest guidelines and the task is past due without any visible results.

We will also look this thread so that there is no confusion for the next person who takes the task. If you have questions, feel free to ask in one of the forum stickies.

Feel free to try the contest in the future! Take care.

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”