Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
MMCritter
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Installation Manual for Joomla! on GoDaddy servers

Post by MMCritter » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:15 pm

k4lch, THANK YOU ;D  I can't believe I didn't realize debug was turned on! :-[ 

After turning it off, JEvents now works fine too - DUH!

Now... if only I can figure out how to make the site go live...

I've changed the htaccess.txt file to .htaccess and my config file looks like this any more suggestions?:
<?php
if(!defined('RG_EMULATION')) { define( 'RG_EMULATION', 0 ); }
$mosConfig_MetaAuthor = '1';
$mosConfig_MetaDesc = 'Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic School, Jeffersonville, Indiana';
-------------------------------------

I APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS!!! ???
Last edited by MMCritter on Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:35 pm

the site is live just looked at it you are using solarflare II template.
you should create a new database and user, password export your current one then import into the new one
you listed database name and password in the configuration.php you posted for security reasons
Loyd Headrick
http://wx4lh.info

MMCritter
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MMCritter » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:46 pm

duh again... I guess sleep deprivation is NOT A GOOD THING!  CONSIDER IT CHANGED.!

mac1985
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mac1985 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:41 pm

I finally got  the nerve to try to fix my /joomla problem and now my site has disappeared!! I used smart ftp to move everything from /joomla into the root and it seemed to be working fine...a lot of time it would say (this file already exists would you like to overwrite & I clicked yes) I had 2 joomlas on my site before I think...godaddys fault and mine....now my site isnt showing up!!

Any ideas as to what I did wrong? When I ammend the config.php is that the only file that needs ammended? Do I amend the one in the root and the /joomla folder????? Do I need to delete any fils after all this is resolved? Any ideas as to what I did wrong are greatly appreciated. thanks
Last edited by mac1985 on Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MMCritter
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MMCritter » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:35 pm

k4lch wrote: the site is live just looked at it you are using solarflare II template.
you should create a new database and user, password export your current one then import into the new one
you listed database name and password in the configuration.php you posted for security reasons
Kl4sh, 
I've a new question for you... after deleting/rebuilding because of a database issue, I'm back to square one.  The backend (admin) is working fine... however, the live site is not functioning properly.  None of the menu links are working - sample this problem at sacredheartschool.us/_index.php - click any of the links and you'll get a GoDaddy "Oops, page not found" error.  And, in my limited joomla experience (I've built three other joomla sites), I think it has something to do with the config file, but I'm not sure where to begin. 

The reason I think that is that when you click a link, you're directed to a path that looks like this:
http://sacredheartschool.us/component/o ... Itemid,23/

Most joomla paths I've seen have paths that look more like this:
http://XXXXXXXXXXX.com/index.php?option ... e&Itemid=1

Any suggestions on this one?

Thanks! ;)

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:20 pm

check your .htacces to see if the rewrite conditions are uncommented
remove the # from in front of them. also if using one of the sef components purge the sef urls and rebuild them.

I have a included a copy of the htaccess file that works
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Loyd Headrick

MMCritter
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by MMCritter » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:28 pm

k4lch wrote: check your .htacces to see if the rewrite conditions are uncommented
remove the # from in front of them. also if using one of the sef components purge the sef urls and rebuild them.

I have a included a copy of the htaccess file that works
Thanks K4lch... You're a great help!  Just to verify, I can replace my .htaccess file with the one you attached?  Because I tried that and the paths are still "screwy".  But... I read somewhere that even with FTP, the .htaccess file changes on godaddy can take up to an hour to "take affect" - do you know if this is correct? 

Again - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! ;D

mac1985
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mac1985 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:52 pm

Hey k4 thanks from me too for all your help. This guy is a joomla hero for sure!

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:53 am

the changes can take up to an hour Godaddy restarts it tomcat servers every night changes will occur then if not already changed
Loyd Headrick

Mooyab
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Mooyab » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:45 pm

Nice it works fine now.
[img]http://www.imageshack.us.images.myminic ... hing24.jpg[[/img]

rtrieb12762
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rtrieb12762 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:58 pm

I just started a godaddy account and can't get it installed. If anyone is willing to help me install joomla you can email me at sales@dakotalaser .com
Been at this for two days and nothing. Please help.
Thanks
Reggie
Last edited by rtrieb12762 on Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gallitin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gallitin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:05 pm

Damn, what a life saver, worked perfectly the first time and I know little about cms.  Thanks!

technutz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by technutz » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:58 pm

Wow, very cool. This worked! There were a few minor differences with the screens as of this date, but I still got it. Thanks a lot for this doc.

itgl72
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by itgl72 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:09 pm

Great resource - and great effort. Thank you.

Not to get too far off course and hope I didnt skip over if it was discussed but, Godaddy offers virtual dedicated server accounts for high traffic websites. They start at 29.99 a month or so. Are any of you using this? Does it seem expensive? We currently run a site with over 300 users on the $7 or $8 a month plan. You get what you pay for I know, but our forums and website are getting very slow lately and we are looking to upgrade.

pciibiz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pciibiz » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:07 pm

What can I say...Genius. Wish I had this four months earlier but I am sure it will come in handy. Now let me go review this manual.

Thanks

dkartuzinski
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dkartuzinski » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi!  As of Jan 14 2008 - there is now an even easier way to get Joomla onto GoDaddy.  BY the way - your instructions are awesome. But if you go to your control panel for your domain.  Then click on the "Content" tab below screen.  (In the Hosting Control Center). Then click on "Godaddy Hosting Connection" on the left next click on "Content Management" and of course next on Joomla.  The instructions are self explanatory after that.  Hope this helps!

Hija
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Hija » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:41 am

hiii all.

Any one can help me because i have down joomla 1.5 and i install to my website by using this ftp client so if i open my website is still writting the page can not found HTTP 404 Not found so what is the problem or what i need to do to solve this problem?

dkartuzinski
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dkartuzinski » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:46 am

Are you using Go DADDY?

k4lch
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by k4lch » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:21 am

Hija
can you provide a link to site and server details?
it will help to provide some directions on troubleshooting your problem
Loyd Headrick

Hija
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Hija » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:41 pm

Yes im using godaddy so i dont know what is the problem or what i need to do to solve this problem so can you help me please?

dkartuzinski
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dkartuzinski » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:34 am

Do you need to use version 1.5? With GoDaddy as of right now they have the prior build.  If you don't mind use the prior (stable) build I will write out the steps and it will take you 5 minutes to be up and running!

Hija
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Hija » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:05 am

ok no problem so can you write down for me please i want to follow that step ok no problem so can you help me evan if i want to design website?ok im still wait your answer.

dkartuzinski
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dkartuzinski » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:41 am

Ok, first you need to have a hosted domain and the hosting under the LINUX hosting plan.  Economy Plan for Linux is OK until you have a need for more and it is then easy to upgrade with GoDaddy.    Once you have this, the steps to install are:

1.  Go to http://www.godaddy.com and log Into your account with Go Daddy.
2.  On the right/middle of screen column click on "My Account". It is blue and underlined.
3.  There is a list of different things, click on "Manage Accounts"
4.  Click on the link to your website
5.  Another screen will show up will a lot of information on your website.    On the top right corner is a link to click for "Manage Hosting Accounts".  Click on it.
6.  This will open a list of your website(s) and you should see near your website name the word "open".  This opens your Control Panel.  Click on this.
7.  This will open another screen or tab, and your will see an Account Summary.  Underneath you will see "Settings" "Content" "Databases".  Click on "Content" to open open this.
8.  On the bottom row of choices you will see "GoDaddy Hosting Connection".  Click on this.
9.  On the right you will see a list starting with "Advertising" "Blogs" "Content Management" etc...  Click on "Content Management".
10.  You will see Joomla as an option of 10 items.  Click on this.
11.  Then in the middle of the screen you will see information on Joomla, click the "Install Now" bottun.
12.  You will now have 4 steps.  1.  Choose your domain.  Do this.  Press Continue on the bottom right of the screen.
                                              2. Choose a Database Name and a password.  You need to do this and write it down.  Press
                                              Next on the bottom right of the screen.
                                              3.  Next it is to name the directory.  You will see your domain name a "/" and "Joomla".  DELETE
                                              "Joomla" to install directly into your Root Directory.  This is what most people recommend to do.
                                              Press Next.

Note:  I did not continue past this point because I did not want to overwrite my directory.  But Just follow the instructions and then you're done.  It may take up to 4 or 5 hours for you to be able to log into Joomla. 

Hope this helps.

Hija
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Hija » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:47 am

ok thanks i read all and im going to do what you say then i have some problem in my hosting accont im using linux if i want to open my account i writting  (Current Hosting Account Status: Pending Account Change )what is the problem and this problem from yesterday night.And then if i want to go to SETTING if i want to open ftp client is coming a white window and red X can you help me what i need to do please?

Hija
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Hija » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:50 am

sorry and then i want to ask because i have deluxe hosting this is not enough or i need to exchange to buy economy?

dkartuzinski
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dkartuzinski » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:58 am

Deluxe Plan is more than enough.  As long as you have Linux Hosting.  Do you have Linux hosting?  If you are not sure, you will need to contact GoDaddy directly  - they will make sure you do.

Hija
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Hija » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:06 am

ok thanks so there is any different of delux and linux?yeah i have a deluxe hosting i have cancel i want to buy ECONOMY HOSTING

dkartuzinski
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dkartuzinski » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:09 am

Go ahead and call GoDaddy. They have 24 hour service.  When you get hosting, you can have a Microsoft Hosting Service - WHICH YOU DO NOT WANT.  You want a LINUX Hosting with Apache..  Good luck!

Hija
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Hija » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:12 am

ok sorry for disturb i want now to buy DELUX PLAN LINUX so this one is ok?

dkartuzinski
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by dkartuzinski » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:18 am

You are not bothering me. :)  You don't need to spend so much right now.  ECONOMY LINUX is OK, as well. 

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”