141 - Implement Private Messaging as a Joomla! v 1.5 extension(s) (Advanced)

Google's Highly Open Participation Program tries to get young students into Open Source and Joomla! specifically. Everyone is welcome, there are not limits. You can be a coder, documenter, tester, translator to help out. Jump in and start helping!
clem75
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: 141 - Implement Private Messaging as a Joomla! v 1.5 extension(s) (Advanced)

Post by clem75 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:18 am

version 1 of uddeim is joomla 1.5 compatible (since v0.9 actually) - i'm using it on my site without any trouble. it works well and integrates with fireboard and community builder. it may not be a native 1.5 plugin, however (i don't know).

have you had a look at joomunity? it's like community builder but looks a lot nicer. maybe you could integrate your plugin with their extension? and if you could also integrate it with phpbb (through jfusion) - your extension would be a real winner.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Re: 141 - Implement Private Messaging as a Joomla! v 1.5 extension(s) (Advanced)

Post by AmyStephen » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:52 pm

clem75 wrote: your extension would be a real winner.
Actually, he is integration with Kevin Devine's UserMeta plugin. It's going to be the new wave of group sites. And, certainly a winner!

Amy :)

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:53 am

OK, Sander.

You started with a bogus task - JWChat and had to think quickly about how to make this work.

You have a PM system where members can message one another on a Joomla! website.

You have integrated this with Kevin Devine's UserMeta.

You have offered all the nice bells and whistles with lookups that include the username, the name, allow for multiple sending - even with the lookup. If someone forgets to add a user or incorrectly types it in, you return their work to them, instead of make them cry.

You created an easy to use mailbox system where messages can be reviewed, retained or deleted.

All of this is in the MVC architecture. So, I can make my own template overrides if I want it to look differently.

You have included tokens, and thus helped to ward off CSRF.

You have implemented the router and can thus offer SEF URLs of all three flavors or regular URLs.

I'm sorry - I know I am missing something.

This extension is certainly going to be one of the more popular extensions around. People will use it. Since it is native v 1.5 and built like it should be built, it's going to wear well. It is also a good example for people to tear apart when they have to learn MVC, too.

Excellent work! High quality work! Get ready for a positive relationship with the Joomla! community. (And, yes, there will be some who are not as positive - we are here for you if you need something.)

When you are ready to submit it, I accept it as complete. I am proud of this one - it's another wonderful example of the GHOP program.

Thanks!

SanderKromwijk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SanderKromwijk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:02 pm

Thanks for your compliments!

I have made a little addition. I added a reply button in the message viewer. The rest is unchanged. I wish to submit the program. Should I upload it on the Google Code.

Sander
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simple and elegant messaging. Download the Messaging extension for Joomla! See http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/4026/details

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:11 pm

Yes, please. It is fantastic work. Do you have it on JED yet?

When it's uploaded, I will finalize the task.

Thanks so much, Sander. I hope we see you around in the future, too!

SanderKromwijk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SanderKromwijk » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi,

I uploaded it on google code and I put it on JED

Sander Kromwijk
Simple and elegant messaging. Download the Messaging extension for Joomla! See http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/4026/details

matthewengland
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by matthewengland » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:02 pm

Sander,

Just a small suggestion for an improvement:

views -messages - tmpl - default.php (line 84, 85)

I have changed my code to the following:

$getSuffix .= '&to='.$tempuser->username;
$getSuffix .= '&subject=re:' . htmlspecialchars($row->subject, ENT_QUOTES) . '';

So as to place the username rather than the name into the reply 'To:' field, and to place the subject of the original message prefixed by 're:' in a standard email style.

Also, we are experiencing some Javascript problems on our Windows XP IE7 machine. The error we get is on the following line:

document.getElementById('message'.innerhtml) = text;

Before we spend time we havent got on debugging could you suggest anything?

Many thanks.

SanderKromwijk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SanderKromwijk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi,

I'm going to add the reply part in the subject, so thanks for the tip!

I'll look at the javascript problem as soon as I have downloaded IE7 (I don't have it yet).

Sander

SanderKromwijk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SanderKromwijk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi,

I haven't found any problem when using IE7. Could you send a screenshot of the error?

Sander

matthewengland
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by matthewengland » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:27 pm

EDIT: See my post below.
Last edited by matthewengland on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SanderKromwijk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SanderKromwijk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:19 pm

Hi,

I see you've been costumizing the interface. Are you sure you let the id='message' part in the box where the message should come? Is this site online? If it is, can you send the url?

Sander

matthewengland
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by matthewengland » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:34 pm

EDIT: Apologies.

It seems its something i've done to the code thats made it not work, as I've installed on another Joomla1 site and its fine. When I find the solution I will post it here if it will help anyone.

thanks!
Last edited by matthewengland on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:45 pm

Matthew -

This is not a support site. Sander is a pre-university student who is in competing in the Google Highly Open Participation Contest.

It appears you have development experience and are benefiting from his work. What better way to show your appreciation than to contribute towards it, yourself. If you are able to debug and resolve a problem that you find, it's okay to share improvements in this thread, but I thank you for not using this thread as a support forum.

All the best,

slabbi
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: 141 - Implement Private Messaging as a Joomla! v 1.5 extensi

Post by slabbi » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:02 am

SanderKromwijk wrote:I've looked at uddeIM, but the problem is it is made for Joomla 1.0. Even the newest version isn't 1.5 compatible.
This is completely nonsense.

uddeIM does not run on Joomla 1.5 in native mode, but it runs fine in Joomla 1.5 lagacy mode. So the expression "isn't compatible" is wrong.

SanderKromwijk
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by SanderKromwijk » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry. I hadn't thought of using the legacy plugin :-[ .

Sander Kromwijk

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:29 pm

slabbi wrote:
SanderKromwijk wrote:I've looked at uddeIM, but the problem is it is made for Joomla 1.0. Even the newest version isn't 1.5 compatible.
This is completely nonsense.

uddeIM does not run on Joomla 1.5 in native mode, but it runs fine in Joomla 1.5 lagacy mode. So the expression "isn't compatible" is wrong.
Slabbi -

You are posting in an area for the Google Highly Open Participation Contest. Further, your tone is rude.

I assume uddeIM is your extension? Let it be known that it runs with the legacy mode enabled. This extension is written for native Joomla! v 1.5. In time, you will likely want to do the same since eventually legacy mode will be removed.

Thank you for correcting any misunderstanding.

Amy

Edit - It appears you are the uddeIM developer, instead of seeking help.

Return to “Google's Highly Open Participation Contest”