Joomla V 1.5.0 - I can not install ANY extensions

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
SaikoMan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla V 1.5.0 - I can not install ANY extensions

Post by SaikoMan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:16 pm

same problem here also...

The hosting company have "Safemode ON". And that cannot be change ...

What to do ?

libby
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by libby » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:21 pm

Safemode is off on my server and I have still having the problem

Silvija
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Silvija » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:33 pm

Just go to plugin manager and find System - Legacy plugin. Enable it.
It should help.

SaikoMan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SaikoMan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Silvija - This has nothing to do with the "System - Legacy". I the plugins, compenens, are all made for 1.5

Silvija
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Silvija » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:10 pm

I had a problem with this one: http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

The same problem, same errors, I have done everything from this topic and that with legacy helped. So I post it. Maybe it has nothing to do with it, but it can't hurt to try. Right?

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:30 pm

SaikoMan wrote: same problem here also...

The hosting company have "Safemode ON". And that cannot be change ...

What to do ?
Well there is two solutions.

Move to a web hosting company that have safe mode off.

Or that Joomla community solved this problem so Joomla 1.5 can be used on web hosting companies that have Safe mode off. Mostly have so this is a problem.

And I have not seen any solution to this and its very annoying when this cant be solved during long time now...

beadsboy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by beadsboy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:05 pm

SOLUTION : (below worked for me)

1.) Make all directories 777

2.) Disable ftp. In my host i cannot write anything to configuration.php from with joomla. (even if it is 777) So i open my online filemanage and edit the config file. var $ftp_enable = '0';

Thats it,
everything started ..

Thankyou,

Bye

SaikoMan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SaikoMan » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:47 pm

Glad it worked for you beadsboy ...

In Joomla I already disable the ftp. And did make all directories 777 ... nothing happen. Still having the same problems.

The I went to check my configuration.php via ftp server, to see if "var $ftp_enable = '0';" was set. And it was, too bad :(

beadsboy ... When you say you edit the config file. Then you mean the configuration.php, right ??

Silvija
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Silvija » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:00 pm

SaikoMan, try to enable ftp... it seems that it has to be diferent than it is original on/off, whatever  ???

SaikoMan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SaikoMan » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:12 pm

Silvija - thx for feedback! =)

I did try to do what you set. Enable in Joomla, and then manually set it to OFF (0) ind the  configuration.php. BUT no  >:(

I thought about enable the ftp... but im not sure which information to apply. Can someone help?

--------
Enable FTP    No  Yes!
FTP Host ftp.blodprop.com ??? <-- is that right??
FTP Port 21
FTP Username XXXXXXX
FTP Password XXXXXXX
FTP Root Blank.. Don't know what to write here
---------

beadsboy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by beadsboy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:18 am

helo saikoman,

yes it is same config file.

ftp host : put ip number
ftp port : 21
ft root : web/  (put something dont keep blank .. i am not sure what is correct to be entered here try and experiment with different paths you see in errors.. )

try to chmod all directories and files with online ftp manager of your webhost.

Thankyou,

beadsboy

oldgeek
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by oldgeek » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:18 pm

:pop

As I set here, reviewing this thread, seeing folks touting making all of their directories and files 777 on a unix/linux/etc. server - thus making them world writeable --- to say the least I am amazed.  Within weeks those who have followed this ill advice will be in other threads crying "I'VE BEEN HACKED" and wondering why....  Changing all of your permissions to enable world write on a linux server is the Internet equivalent of dropping your trousers/panties and walking backwards saying "do me, do me".  Undoubtedly someone will eventually accommodate that request.  Although I have seen it recommended by the ignorant, the ill-advised and the evil many times on the Internet - that one is still somewhat shocking to see in a CMS forum.  Doing so proves nothing, fixes nothing and opens you up to a ton of unrelated, (and possibly well-deserved), headaches.

Ah well - I'm retired and shouldn't be concerned with this kind of thing any more - but I will recommend that those of you who are new to running a CMS on a linux-based host spend some time looking into security.  There is a great section for both Joomla! 1.0 and another for 1.5 here on this board..  Obviously the contributors in those threads aren't spending any time in this one - or maybe they are and are just shaking their heads, laughing, and moving on.

For those who are trying to install/run a php/MySQL CMS for the first time - I can give a bit of advice... Windows and Linux file systems are very, very different...  If you are a windows user, but your "Host" for your web site is providing the service on a Unix/Linux server, there are some "gotchas" involving "permissions" - additionally, linux is a "case sensitive" file system. (PHP.ini, php.INI, Php.ini and php.ini will all be considered different, and perfectly legal file names on linux).  If you are attempting to run your CMS on windows, make changes to files, then upload them to a linux server, you need to be aware of the file-system differences... (There are more).

My single best advice is DO NOT attempt to skip any steps in the installation process.  Follow the "Installation Manual" verbatim and read every note/item in there. 

http://help.joomla.org/content/category/48/268/302/
(You are aware that help.jooma.org exists right?  :))

If you have done so - look at it again to make absolutely certain you noted every item, including the system requirements - pre-installation procedures/notes, etc.  If you try to skim over everything - you will be short-changing yourself.  In my experience, most post installation problems occur either because YOU fouled up the installation, or because you have problems induced by your Host and his/her configurations. 

If you are doing a "web browser installation", pay particular attention to the part of the installation process involving the "Pre-Installation Check" page - here is a direct quote from the documentation:
If any of the responses in the first section are set to No (with the exception of the configuration.php being writable) you should rectify the situation before attempting to continue with the process as these represent the essential requirements for the installation. Failure to do this may cause your Joomla! Web site to function incorrectly, or require you to carry out additional procedures at the end of the standard browser installation.

The most common error that Users encounter is that the configuration.php file is not writable. See the section on Error Handling for details on how to correct this issue later in the guide.

The second block of settings indicate certain specific variables within the PHP code base configuration. Whilst these are recommended, Joomla! will still install but there will be more to do later on and there is a risk that your Web site would be open to malicious assault if you did not rectify them These settings may be adjusted at any time. The first column shows the recommended settings and the second those that are identified within your server.
If you are sure you have followed "everything" - then it might be time to have a look in the "Common Issues & Error Handling" section of the Installation Manual, (see link above). Hint - issues involving PHP.ini are covered in there already.  ;)

Everything I've read in this entire thread has probably already been recognized - 90% is probably either an installation or host issue - NOT an issue with extensions but showing up when you try to install/manipulate components/modules/plugins... (That means either you shot yourself in the foot, or your host is doing so).  Have a peek at the 1.5 installation thread - I have and there is some good stuff in there.  When you find yourself not able to install or play with ANY module, I rather doubt the problem is with the extensions - rather it is with your site or your host.  If you have a problem with a single extension only, and it is from a 3rd party developer, I suggest going to the source author and being patient waiting for his/her responses, particularly if it is GPL and being offered to you free.

Finally, regarding the "FTP Layer":
It is not generally necessary to worry about the FTP Configuration page for a localhost installation of Joomla! , although the exception to this might be on a local network.
Personally, I would recommend any questions/responses involving stuff like the FTP Layer should be discussed in the Installation area. (I'm sure the Forum Mods will correct me if I am off-target on that). :D
Last edited by oldgeek on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So many toys.... So little time...

szonkie
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by szonkie » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:55 pm

I've had it up to here with Joomla wht dont we all just write our own sites in Dreamweaver and use ASP for out scripts, I got 1.5 installed and cant upload a thing...right waste of time... >:(

dimsum
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dimsum » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:12 pm

:o we're losing a loyal member guys.. just be patient. even a company as huge as apple always release a new product with a lots and lots of bugs and defects. i think we all just need to relax and wait patiently for the joomla team to solve the problem :D

rustutzman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla V 1.5.0 - I can not install ANY extensions - Possible Solution

Post by rustutzman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:05 pm

I found the solution for my site that wouldn't allow me to install any extensions. Everything gave the "Error! Could not find an XML setup file in the package."

The solution for me was in the configuration.php file. The line "var $tmp_path =" wasn't set correctly Once I corrected the path everything was fine. I hope this helps some people out.

Russ

labp
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by labp » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi!

Well, I'm with the "Unable to find install package" problem, with FTP layer on and working ( I can upload images by media manager).

I solved the problem turning the FTP layer off and making the folders to my extension 777, it works...

But I'm with that old owner problem, sinde there isn't file and dirperms fields in configuration.php the folder created is in 666 so i have to contact my ISP to change the owner...
Last edited by labp on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

szonkie
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by szonkie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Think I'm gonna roll back to 1.4 as this works pretty well...might give it 6 months to a year before I go up. At least this way I can get my sites up and running... :P

shlubberdub
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shlubberdub » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:44 pm

Hey, Joomla team. Are you reading this?

People here are talking about using something else instead. I have several sites in joomla but looking at this and the inacticity of the team to fix a problem that seem to be affecting loads of user, is a massive error. Doesn't the joomla team know that keeping a client/user is cheaper than finding new clients/users?

New people coming to joomla find these threads and will think "nah, I'll use wordpress instead".

I've used Joomla for a year. I've been well happy with 1.0.13. 1.5 looks like a great CMS and has all the promises but won't deliver at the finish line.

So guess what - I'm going to do what most internet mags are recommending. I'm going to have a really serious look at Wordpress. I can't ignore the fact that it is so popular now that mags like MacWorld even in Sweden are running tutorial articles.

So, Joomla team, step up to the plate and fix the problem. It seems to be much bigger than "read the manual" whenpeople who have successfully been using Joomla for 12 months or more, manage several sites built in joomla, just can't get 1.5 working.

Who knows, they might even abandon Joomla for a return of using Mamboo. Now wouldn't that be something?

bob9599
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by bob9599 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:52 am

shlubberdub wrote: Hey, Joomla team. Are you reading this?

People here are talking about using something else instead. I have several sites in joomla but looking at this and the inacticity of the team to fix a problem that seem to be affecting loads of user, is a massive error. Doesn't the joomla team know that keeping a client/user is cheaper than finding new clients/users?

New people coming to joomla find these threads and will think "nah, I'll use wordpress instead".

I've used Joomla for a year. I've been well happy with 1.0.13. 1.5 looks like a great CMS and has all the promises but won't deliver at the finish line.

So guess what - I'm going to do what most internet mags are recommending. I'm going to have a really serious look at Wordpress. I can't ignore the fact that it is so popular now that mags like MacWorld even in Sweden are running tutorial articles.

So, Joomla team, step up to the plate and fix the problem. It seems to be much bigger than "read the manual" whenpeople who have successfully been using Joomla for 12 months or more, manage several sites built in joomla, just can't get 1.5 working.

Who knows, they might even abandon Joomla for a return of using Mamboo. Now wouldn't that be something?

Bravo!  :pop

shikar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shikar » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:22 pm

Hi Guys,

I have been struggling all day to install extension with no success. I tried several tricks seen in this for forum but nothing work. I am using an iMac G5 with Firefox. I tried again using Safari as browser and all went well (with installing extensions that is). I don't know why it doesn't work with Firefox and for now I just switch.

Bohica
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Bohica » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:26 am

Unable to find install package
Just checking.  Are you sure the $ftp_root variable is correct in your configuration.php file?

i.e. if your J! install is in 'public_html'

It should read this:

Code: Select all

var $ftp_root = 'public_html';
if this variable is empty,

Code: Select all

var $ftp_root = '';
  It will produce the error above.

I can't say that solves all instances of this error...

;)

Geert-Jan
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Geert-Jan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:29 am

Same problem here. Installation of extions takes a ridiculous amount of time, playing and tinkering with settings, with partial successes, and never really getting there.

I do notice that there seems to be common problems:
-Turning SEF URL off seems to help in many cases.
-Toggle the FTP layer on/off.
-Check with your provider: Safe Mode changed?
-Check with provider: Do they use mod_rewrite themselves? (seems to cause a lot of problems with my sites)

To Oldgeek: You might be surprised that people are doing strange things to their permissions, I do not, because I have just made these changes myself, AND IT PARTIALLY WORKED! 
I love the basic idea of Joomla: to enable non-geeks to make a good looking website. Quote:"As an application, Joomla! 1.5 boasts remarkable advances over Joomla! 1.0 in the areas of extensibility, usability and internationalization. Building extensions is vastly easier and faster because of the comprehensive new API. The simplified user interface eliminates unnecessary clicks and context changes for site administrators and managers."

To me it seems that Joomla itself is excellent, but the outside world has too many interlocking variables that I just can't understand.

For myself, I have taken your advice: follow the manual rigorously. (and if it doesn't work, just give up and send the good folks who have written the extension a very friendly message with the problems there were encountered.)

I will try to install a newsletter in a few months, hopefully following my own advice myself. I've spend too many days trying to get this to work with my limited knowledge.

Keep on typing,

Regards, Geert-Jan

gingibash
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gingibash » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:14 pm

the first time i installed 1.5 stable all worked fine. with the second installation i had this problem, but only when using safari browser. with firefox everything works.

grawsom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grawsom » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:18 pm

I had the same problems after moving to a new ISP (gigahost) one site was just moved, where I had a test site also - and I could not install anything.
But I had also made an new install for a friend - and there it worked.

I found out that the problem for me was the configuration file.. was missing .dk

before
var $log_path = '/home/www/rccar/logs';
var $tmp_path = '/home/www/rccar/tmp';

after
var $log_path = '/home/www/rccar.dk/logs';
var $tmp_path = '/home/www/rccar.dk/tmp';

I only found this because I had something to compare with

Maybe this can help someone

shlubberdub
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shlubberdub » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:18 pm

shikar wrote: Hi Guys,

I have been struggling all day to install extension with no success. I tried several tricks seen in this for forum but nothing work. I am using an iMac G5 with Firefox. I tried again using Safari as browser and all went well (with installing extensions that is). I don't know why it doesn't work with Firefox and for now I just switch.
I've had the complete opposite problem. Even installing Joomla using Safari has failed each and every time. Half the administration in Joomla 1.0.x and 1.5 is not working and therefore have had to use firefox.

I don't think all people here having this problem are mac users and above suggestion would fix the problem. But as for me - I'll give it a shot. I'm installing joomla 1.5 on one of my test domains right now to see if I can get it going, using Safari instead.

shlubberdub
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shlubberdub » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:40 pm

shlubberdub wrote:
shikar wrote: Hi Guys,

I've had the complete opposite problem. Even installing Joomla using Safari has failed each and every time. Half the administration in Joomla 1.0.x and 1.5 is not working and therefore have had to use firefox.

I don't think all people here having this problem are mac users and above suggestion would fix the problem. But as for me - I'll give it a shot. I'm installing joomla 1.5 on one of my test domains right now to see if I can get it going, using Safari instead.
So, tried using Safari instead and no change at all. STill the same issue.

Nimai
I've been banned!

Post by Nimai » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:54 pm

I didn't find this thread before I started a new one on what I believe is the same issue.
My biggest issue with this experience is that Joomla is not providing enough information. I'm simply getting:
* JFolder::create: ??Could not create directory??
* •Warning! - Failed to move file•

Messiah62
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Messiah62 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:22 pm

I am getting the following error... When i first installed

JFTP::login: Unable to login
JFTP::mkdir: Bad response
JFTP::store: Unable to use passive mode
Warning! - Failed to move file

Thanks

flotoonie
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by flotoonie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:04 am

I cannot install any extension either. I am trying to install attachments1.1 and before that joomlafck. I need to allow viewers of my site to download .doc files. Each time I get this error:

'Error! Could not find a Joomla! XML setup file in the package. '

I tried to edit my configaration file in cpanel to change the $ftp_root label from

''
to
'public_html'

but It wouldn't let me. I don't have a lot of knowledge doing that sort of thing anyway.

Are there any other 'simple' work arounds? Is this common problem going to be fixed in the next release?

Thankyou

Nimai
I've been banned!

Post by Nimai » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:16 am

OH MY GOSH!
I got mine to work! For the love of all that's holy! Haha-

OK, I did not have to chmod anything to 777. I agree - that's just whack. Everything is 755.
My problem may not be the same as yours, and I will reiterate that Joomla's errors need to do a better job of pointing us to the problem. Out of curiosity, I added the $path parameter to the raiseWarning call in JFTP::mkdir. The dir that I saw it having trouble making was the root dir I had specified in my configuration.php. For me, I had it set to this:

var $tmp_path = '/mysite.com/joomla/tmp';

I set this value initially because when I connected with my FTP client, this was the path to the tmp directory. I took a look at the FTP configuration page on my web hosting provider. One line-item in the data about my FTP service was something called Home Directory. I thought to add this to the front of my FTP path:

var $tmp_path = '/hsphere/local/home/myusername/mysite.com/joomla/tmp';

That did it. I sincerely hope this helps some one!

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”