NB 5.12.07 - External Link missing title parameter

This forum is for reporting bugs in Joomla!. Please don't report problems with extensions in here.
Forum rules
Forum Rules
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
1nf1n17yLOVE
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

NB 5.12.07 - External Link missing title parameter

Post by 1nf1n17yLOVE » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:46 pm

Please include a title parameter (show/hide), for external menu item links.

Thanks,

Laura

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: NB 5.12.07 - External Link missing title parameter

Post by infograf768 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:24 am

Why would that be implemented?
The external link opens an external site as the function explains.
The title of the menu item is just what is needed to display it in the menu.

If you don't need anymore that menu tem, just unpublish it.
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

1nf1n17yLOVE
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by 1nf1n17yLOVE » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:43 am

This is Importend for design/layout matters.
You want every page appear in the same design, and therfor you want for every page the same look.

The external menu item is not only used for external links, often you have this for a workaround, or you have a real external link, but want a same look - and here would the header part importend.

Cheers,
Laura

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:10 am

Could you please give an example of a workaround?
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf · http://www.info-graf.fr
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

1nf1n17yLOVE
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by 1nf1n17yLOVE » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:54 pm

Todays exampe would be, that menu item links want work with certain components, in the frontend (Without SEF enabled and or mod_rewrite).
So i needed to use external links, to fix this temporarly.

Or a few weeks ago docman component, would not generate the correct system link (with SEF), so i used a custom with external.

On the bottom line what is so bad about this option, it just gives the user more flexibility, because even when j!1.5 is stable there will be other problems - think about 1.0  legacy implementations.

Laura

jerzy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jerzy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to get this done too. I want some of my sponsors to appear in a menu (with the surrounding edges) just by using a picture of them. For instance, i want Powerbar to be in the list, but i want the company logo to be the link to the external site.

I hope you can sort this out, or is there perhaps some other way of getting this problem fixed?

Cheers Jerzy

jerzy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jerzy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:40 am

I got the problem solved. Make a custom_module, at the bottom you can place your images with links if you like without any text. Place this module where every you like on your site and you are done.

The only problem i have is some missing lines from the surrounding table. Perhaps one of you can inform me how to solve this?! I tried to get the pictures centrated, but somehow this did not work properly. Now I just put some spaces before every picture (so no central placement) and that works, but there must be some other way.....

Jerzy

marilah
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by marilah » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:41 am

I am looking for this option too. I want my main menu to have a consistent "descrption". For my template I can choose to disable or enable the menu descriptions and I choose to enable it because the menus in the header become more descriptive and nicer looking.

Is there a workaround?

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:16 pm

An External Link menu type does not create a "location" in Joomla!.

Typically, an External URL Menu Type is used to link to an external resource.

This menu type can also be used to guard against user generated duplicate content within a Joomla! Web site. To do this, one would create the URLs (and locations) with a normal Joomla! menu type, for example, an Article Category Blog. That menu type would create URLs (locations) for the blog page and for each article belonging to that category.

If a site developer wanted to create a menu item that points directly to one of those articles, she might use an external URL menu type and the existing article URL to create that link. HOWEVER, the visitor would be directed to the EXISTING location in Joomla! upon clicking the link.

If the External URL menu type created a location in Joomla!, it would also have to create a URL. If Joomla! did that, then this useful tool for guarding against user generated duplicate content would be gone.

If you want to create a location in Joomla! (along with page title, bread crumbs, current menu item, selected modules), then you must use a menu item type that creates URLs. The External URL menu type does not do that and should never do that. It is working exactly as intended and as needed.

Thanks,
Amy :)

andrevorster
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andrevorster » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:27 am

Hi there
I am looking for a solution to this problem.
I need to use the external link as a separator but i leave the link url input blank works like a charm the only problem i have is the menu title comes up in the content area twice to be exact.

If i use a separator link type it does the same.

http://www.tca.me/index.php/Hotel.html

I need to know what calls the menu title so i can take it out of the code itself. Or if there is some way around this.

Please help.
Thanks
Andre

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:50 pm

Oh my goodness, don't send us to loud pages :).

The title parameter is in the sliders on the right. You should set it not to show page title.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

eliotondo
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eliotondo » Sun May 31, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi,

sorry for posting under an old thread and somewhat off-topic, but I needed a special feature for the External URL menu type and I did not find a way to obtain it, so I did a one-line mod on the PHP code and it works; I'd like to know if this mod can be interesting enough to be included in future releases. If this is not the right forum, please tell me where to post.

I need to have two different External URL menu items, configured as "new window without navigation" (so opening a new window), but each one in a different window, not going to the same window as the current code does (it always uses the name "targetWindow" for the new window).

I did this modification on line 355 of modules/mod_mainmenu/helper.php (version 10812 2008-08-26 19:36:10Z):

- $data = '<a href="'.$link.'" onclick="window.open(this.href,\'targetWindow\',\''.$attribs.'\');return false;">'.$image.$tmp->name.'</a>';
+ $data = '<a href="'.$link.'" onclick="window.open(this.href,\''.$item->alias.'\',\''.$attribs.'\');return false;">'.$image.$tmp->name.'</a>';

(I replaced the fixed window name with the content of the "alias" configuration field).

It would be useful also to have the possibility to configure the contents of the "$attribs" variable (specifically for adding parameters like width and height); could a new parameter be added to the configuration interface of this menu item, containing by default the current value of the attributes for the new window: toolbar=no,location=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes ?

Thanks
Elio

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 Bug Reporting”