Discussion of Windows IIS Web Server Installation Assistance

This forum is for issues with installing Joomla! on IIS webservers.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
agriffit
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Discussion of Windows IIS Web Server Installation Assistance

Post by agriffit » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:00 am

Mod Note this is a discussion document in respect of the stickied post http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=429&t=223146

Hi

I am a newbie to Joomla and IIS, but not networking in general.

I have Joomla working with IIS and all is working when I am running IE6 on the server, to connect to the site. I can access the Administrator section and all is fine.

However, when I move to another machine and try to connect I can log in to the Administrator section but can do little, as the menus seem to be disabled. I get a “ “Done, but errors on page”.

I tries an installation from this machine too and all worked perfectly until I restarted IE6 and logged into the Administrator section again.

I had the same problem with Apache and seem to think that it may be permissions but I have tried everything I know including the suggestion in the forum.

Some help would be appreciated…

Regards
Alex

Thanks

Andy
[/quote]

spikestik
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Windows IIS Web Server Installation Assistance

Post by spikestik » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:21 am

Alex ...

I have installed Joomla 1.5 on many IIS installs and I know that it works .... so do not fret. You are on the right track ... permissions.
You may want to make sure that Internet Guest Account had permissions to the Site....R&W.

There is a great tutorial on the entire process at:

http://www.videotutorialzone.com/video-tutorials/

These will take you though the PHP / MYSql / IIS and the Joomla install/configuration.

hvanleeuwen
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by hvanleeuwen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:46 am

Did you try this with another browser (version) besides IE6 ? I'm running J1.5 on IIS and so far have no problems like this with IE7, FF, Opera or Safari. From personal experience I know IE6 can be 'a treat' sometimes.
agriffit wrote: Hi

I am a newbie to Joomla and IIS, but not networking in general.

I have Joomla working with IIS and all is working when I am running IE6 on the server, to connect to the site. I can access the Administrator section and all is fine.

However, when I move to another machine and try to connect I can log in to the Administrator section but can do little, as the menus seem to be disabled. I get a “ “Done, but errors on page”.

I tries an installation from this machine too and all worked perfectly until I restarted IE6 and logged into the Administrator section again.

I had the same problem with Apache and seem to think that it may be permissions but I have tried everything I know including the suggestion in the forum.

Some help would be appreciated…

Regards
Alex

Thanks

Andy

agriffit
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by agriffit » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:51 am

Hi Andy

I have tried everything and my brain is now fried...

To recap:

On entering Admin, when prompted at the end of a clean Joomla 1.5 install, all things are good in the world.

On subsequent login to administrator the menus do not work. This is from any workstation with either IE6 or FireFox.

In IE6 I get “Done, but with errors on page”

In FireFox I get an error even before I login:
Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'display'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.innergy.co.za/Administrator/ ... eneral.css
Line: 441

After login I get the following errors:
Error: window.addEvent is not a function
Source File: http://www.innergy.co.za/Administrator/
Line: 14

Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'display'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.innergy.co.za/Administrator/ ... eneral.css
Line: 441

Error: Class is not defined
Source File: http://www.innergy.co.za/Administrator/ ... js/menu.js
Line: 20

Error: window.addEvent is not a function
Source File: http://www.innergy.co.za/Administrator/ ... s/index.js
Line: 27

I am running on
Windows 2003 Server Std Edition
IIS 6.0
PHP 5.2.5
MySQL 5.0.51a

I have tried using Wamp
I have tried installing on XP as an alternative
I have tried the zip and tar packages
I have given the IIS Guest Account Full access to the site
I have followed as many of the install procedures as I could find
I have completely reinstalled the server for a “clean” install
I have written and tested PHP scripts and they work
I have downloaded and installed the latest Java
I have also banged my head against the wall

Nothing has helped…

The Windows platform is the clients preferred O/S and as we cannot stay logged in for eternity after installation this is a showstopper for the Joomla project.

I now do not think that it is permissions, I think that there is a code issue, but I do not know where.

Anyone had the same problem?

Alex

agriffit
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by agriffit » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:05 pm

I have been having problems with Joomla on Microsoft Windows 2003 Sever Standard Edition, with IIS 6, PHP and MySQL.

The menus for the administrator would disappear after installation, rendering the whole thing useless.

As a number have people have indicated that they have had success with this combination I decided to try from scratch and also attempt to clear up some of the issues with a PHP 5.2.5 install that makes it so messy. I wanted PHP running from one directory with as few complications as possible.

BIG HUGE FAT NOTE! I am no expert with any of this software. This exercise was born out of frustration and a desire to learn Joomla and on a platform that many of my clients are familiar with. It is therefore not fully tested and I am sure that there will be some tweaks that people can make. I really welcome all responses to this, but request that any suggested changes come with an explanation of why, so I can understand…

This exercise was done with a completely fresh installation of Windows 2003 Server. DHCP and DNS were also required and were specified at install time along with IIS6.

Copy I386 from the CD to C:\Dist to eliminate disk swapping. Download Service Pack 2 to C:\Dist\WIN2003_SP2 and apply it. This must be done AFTER ALL components have been installed. DHCP and DNS can then be configured.

Copy an index.htm file to the C:\inetpub\wwwroot directory that contains the string Working! Run up IE6, put in the URL of the server and check the page comes up as expected. No configuration of IIS has been done up till this point.

Download php-5.2.5-Win32.zip to C:\Dist\Joomla and the unzip the php-5.2.5-Win32.zip to C:\PHP. Go to Control Panel / System / Advanced / Environment Variables and add C:\PHP; to the BEGINNING of the “PATH” system variable. Create a new system variable called “PHPRC” and make this C:\PHP.

In IIS6 Manager navigate to Web Sites / Properties / Home Directory /
Enter Configuration / Mappings add .php and point to C:\PHP\php5isapi.dll.
Set for check read and set execute permissions to Scripts only.

Navigate to Web Sites / Properties / Documents and add index.php and make it the top of the list.

Navigate to Web Service Extensions and add PHP and point to C:\PHP\ php5isapi.dll making sure that the allow switch is set.

Reboot server!

Create an index.php file in the C:\inetpub\wwwroot directory that contains the following:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

Close it and IE6 to your server URL. The PHP information page should now appear.

BIG FAT NOTE: No php.ini configuration file has yet been setup and this still works!

Download mysql-essential-5.0.51a-win32.msi and mysql-gui-tools-5.0-r12-win32.msi to C:\Dist\Joomla and click on the to allow the Windows installer to do its work. These, unlike the Windows PHP installers, work fine. When installing mysql-essential-5.0.51a-win32.msi make sure to put in a password for your SQL server and also set the switch to include the bin directory in the directory path. For ease of backing up also set the table space to C: \MySQL Data Files. All other install options were left as vanilla.

When both are installed run MySQL Administrator and check you can connect to the database server locally. This proves thet MySQL is operating.

Copy C:\PHP\php.ini-recommended to C:\PHP\php.ini open the file and uncomment:

extension=php_mysql.dll
extension=php_mysqli.dll

Set the variable magic_quotes_gpc = on

Set the variable extensions_dir = “C:\PHP.ext”

Restart IIS and test the install with the browser set to the server URL. The PHP test page should now appear with MySQL support.

Give the Internet Guest Account “modify” rights to C:\inetpub\wwwroot and unzip the Joomla package there.

The rest of the install is as per normal.

The installation is now “clean” no PHP files contaminating the C:\Windows or System32 directories. Everything is neat and tidy. For now…

Alex Griffiths

SailOn
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by SailOn » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:54 am

You may want to make sure that Internet Guest Account had permissions to the Site....R&W.

There is a great tutorial on the entire process at:

http://www.videotutorialzone.com/video-tutorials/

The above got me over the hump. WinXP Pro is somewhat different, but setting permissions to my Joomla directory fixed my problem of not writing out the configure.php file.

Thanks all!

DaveC

piotrwoj
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by piotrwoj » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:00 pm

working fine in nt4 terminal server with iis 4.0 sp6a!!!
Thanx
Only exact URLs allowed. See Forum Rules.

scribas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

MySQL problems

Post by scribas » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:27 am

Hi

I am trying to install Joomla 1.5 on an IIS server. I got the system admin to install php-5.2.5-win32-installer.msi. No problems. Then he also installed mysql-4.1.22 win32 Setup.exe.

I can start the Joomla installation, but when I hit page 2, the Pre-Installation Check complains that there is no MySQL support. The sys admin comfirmed that MySQL is running. I also asked him to check out the following article, and he reckons that all of this was checked and sorted:
http://www.design-ireland.net/alpha/con ... dows%20IIS

Don't know what else to do? Help, please! ???

Stefan

askewtos
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by askewtos » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:38 pm

I'm having the exact same issue as scribas... anyone got any ideas?

Thinking maybe it needs some sort of database connector in IIS?

The actual error I get is:
Could not connect to the database. Connector returned number: Unable to connect to the database:The MySQL adapter "mysql" is not available.

Using MySQL 5.0.51, PHP 5.2.5 on Win 2003 Server, IIS v6.

I have already enabled all the correct permissions on the slot (I think) so it should be right in that area...

Previously had it running in a shared hosting environment where I worked so not sure how I got it working last time (though it was v1.0).

Thanks,

Gwen

scribas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by scribas » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi Gwen

I got some answers when I posted the same question in its own topic:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=429&t=272185

The problem lies in the PHP installation. When you get to the third page of the installation, you find a pretty un-user-friendly place to select all the extensions and other extras you can install. If you right-click on the extensions, make sure to choose that all the sub-components must be installed (or manually choose the ones you want). Double-check that all of them have been selected...

This should in theory resolve the problem. Although, after doing this, Joomla still complained that it could not see the mysql extensions (in php, i guess). I have therefore given up on my side and am currently waiting for my sys admin to install linux/apache/php/mysql on another server we managed to organise. IIS seems to be the culprit - obviously not very widely used by the joomla community??

Stefan

askewtos
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by askewtos » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:49 pm

Oooh thanks!

I'll give that a go in the morning...

I actually used to work in shared hosting as a sysadmin for win 2003 servers so I've seen a lot of joomla problems before, just usually permissions issues or mysql connection issues... since everything was already installed (shared servers) never seen a problem like this before...

Thanks again!

scribas
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by scribas » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:16 pm

Well, if my advice does end up helping you, and you have a moment of brightness and figure out what else I could have done wrong (maybe some permission stuff?), please do share!

Stefan

askewtos
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by askewtos » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:09 am

No luck unfortunately.

I have tried reinstalling with all the extensions and still nothing. Seems PHP just can't talk to MySQL.

IIS is not very common to use with MySQL and PHP since they are open source and IIS is part of the Microsoft family, they don't tend to mix :P

Wondering what I should try now, *sigh*.

sudi11
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

After install problem

Post by sudi11 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi,

I have a Windows Server 2003 SP2 IIS6 with MySQL 5 and PHP 5. Joomla 1.0.13 is running on it fine and I tried to install Joomla 1.5 as well. Installation worked just fine but after deleting the installation folder I am not able to view the frontpage. Sometimes it ends with a CGI error message (timed out). The admin page works well, I can write to the configuration.php. As I type the mypage/index2.php it works too.

Has anybody seen something like this yet? What might be the problem?

Thanks,

Andras

nwind
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nwind » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:39 pm

Is index2.php the main page? if so, just rename it to index.php or add index2.php to the documents list in IIS properties for the website.

sudi11
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sudi11 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:03 pm

index.php includes index2.php. So the rename isn't enough. :(
A tried to find a solution and asked it on more forums but no answers yet... A tried to install 1.5.2 too but it doesn't work either. I have to make a webpage on this server and I didn't want to decide upon the old version but it looks like I have no other choices..

nwind
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nwind » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:27 pm

I am running Joomla 1.5.2 on IIS6, php 5.2 and MySql 5.0. I am using the php5isapi.dll module rather than the executable and of course have it mapped to the same .dll in the Web Service Extensions as well as the standard configuration mappings. I also had to create the appropriate temp directory for it and give it write permissions. Would be happy to post or email a copy of my php.ini if you think it could be unhappy with that. I did have Firefox hosed by having an additional mime type mapped so don't recommend any additional ones. It's a pretty plain vanilla IIS6 install and loves php/mysql.

sudi11
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sudi11 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:59 am

I have PHP 5.0.3 on. This might be the problem? I'm not that expert using servers but I could try to upgrade to PHP 5.2. Any suggestion?

nwind
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nwind » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:02 pm

I would doubt that the version of PHP is the issue. It is remarkably flexible from version to version. More than likely there is something in your php.ini that needs to be enabled or disabled. My php.ini is probably a lot larger than it needs to be, but it works. Compare yours to mine and see if you can find the differences. I won't swear that this is optimum, but it works. I had to post an abbreviated version since the whole thing exceeded the character length. *** indicates missing descriptions.
php.ini.txt
[Mod Note removed posted php.ini details and added to notepad attachment to tidy up thread]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by humvee on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: switch quote bbcode to code bbcode

sudi11
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Discussion on Windows IIS Web Server Installation Assistance

Post by sudi11 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:36 pm

Thanks, I'll check it.
I found already some differencies but it still doesn't work. I keep on checking.

martinus
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Discussion of Windows IIS Web Server Installation Assistance

Post by martinus » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:12 am

Was reading these postings with great interest. Have a bit of trouble in having a J1.5.3 work as it should....
Installation on a Windows NT server and a Plesk server have been smoothly. Most things works. But a few annoying elements results in Cgi Errors - misbehaving by not returning http-headers....

It's the search-module that doesn't seem to be able to communicate with the server. And when execution polls.. The later will 'thing' for a while and then produce the cgi-error. When you hit the back-key you'll see a long list of repeated statements, that you vote has beeen received.

Is it a safe mode question?

The sites run on php versions 4.4.0 and 5.2.3 - the issues are on both...

Any ideas?

Thanks
Claus

sudi11
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: After install problem

Post by sudi11 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:44 pm

After reading a few comments I tried this:

I disableb all the modules and the frontpage did work! Then I tried all the modules one after one and the main menu module looks to have a problem. As I enable it the whole page stops working. I try to find out why, if anybody has any good idea please help!

Thanks,

Andras

sudi11 wrote:Hi,

I have a Windows Server 2003 SP2 IIS6 with MySQL 5 and PHP 5. Joomla 1.0.13 is running on it fine and I tried to install Joomla 1.5 as well. Installation worked just fine but after deleting the installation folder I am not able to view the frontpage. Sometimes it ends with a CGI error message (timed out). The admin page works well, I can write to the configuration.php. As I type the mypage/index2.php it works too.

Has anybody seen something like this yet? What might be the problem?

Thanks,

Andras

NetoMeter
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by NetoMeter » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:22 pm

I get a lot of questions about installing Joomla 1.5 on IIS7, so I decided to publish a Step-by-Step Screencast:

http://www.netometer.com/video/tutorial ... ql-fastcgi

I am using FastCGI which combines perfomrance and stability forPHP on IIS7. In addition, I am using the non-thread-safe PHP package to squeeze some additional performance.

Dean

graphic3
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by graphic3 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:24 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering besides PHP 5.0 and MySQL what else a person might need to intall j1.5 on IIS?

phpmyadmin?
Signature rules: Literal URLs only - http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65

Anarco
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Anarco » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:01 am

Does anybody know, what's the problem with IIS (I'm using MeSQL 4.3.3)?

nightmooneagle
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by nightmooneagle » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:07 pm

For those having problems with IIS4/IIS5/IIS6 working with PHP/MySQL due to Joomla! not seeing your MySQL installation, this may help you.

put this simple script in your docroot somewhere (i.e. C:\InetPub\wwwroot).

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

call it phpinfo.php and run the script from your browser.

Look at the Environment Path and Configuration File Loaded lines of the page. If you have not got the PHP binaries directory in you environment path, ask for it to be put in (or do it yourself if you have access). If the configuration file is null or "none" you are loading the built-in defaults of your PHP build. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE MySQL!!

To fix this problem, you will need to edit your registry.

start > run > regedit

go to HKey_Local_Machine (HKLM)

head down the tree to Software/PHP/X.Y.Z/

where X.Y.Z. is the version of PHP (I am using 5.2.8 ).

Here right-click on the folder, select new key (or add key depending on your version of regedit).

Type "IniFilePath" as the name of the key (minus the "s)
Type the location of your php.ini file as the value. Again, depending on your version of regedit you may need to double-click the newly created Key. Early versions of regedit gave you the ability to put both keyname and value in the one window.

Reboot server, run phpinfo.php again to make sure your customised php.ini file is being loaded.

Run Joomla! installation.

Nightmoon Eagle

brownpauls
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by brownpauls » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:38 pm

Install MySQL before installing PHP and then make sure to select MySQL and MySQLi in the extras and they should communicate.

I have tested this method several times due to the same issues are reported above and found it works great.

However, I think I am having a permission (cannot write) issue, but am cautious to change anything since I don't want to give too much access. Is there a place to find how and how much permissions to give to the site folders with Joomla and IIS on W2K3 R2?

Return to “Joomla! 1.5 on IIS webserver”