Upload failed as /media directory is not writable.

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
augleovirgo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by augleovirgo » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:16 am

Install new Template [ Site ]

Upload template - Upload Error

media/ Unwriteable
administrator/templates/ Unwriteable
templates/ Unwriteable
images/stories/ Writeable

I do understand that I need to set the zip file to CHMOD to 755 on my Filezilla FTP but it does not work at all.  Am I supposed to unzip the zip files first then set all of the files to CHMOD 755?

I am running 1and1 Linux web hosting and I just plugged the Joomla into the server. I noticed that the version of that Joomla is 1.0.  It must be very old.  I am trying to download a template that is version 1.5.  Do I need to download the templates that are version 1.0x to work with the current Joomla?

This is my first time using Joomla so I am trying to understand how it works.  Is there a better instruction or tutorial to help me to understand how to set up a Joomla template?

It is now SOLVED! It turned out that if you set up Joomla from 1and1 "click n build" method via the control panel then you are not allowed to change the set permission at all and must use one of their website templates.

TIA!
Last edited by augleovirgo on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dam-man
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Upload failed as /media directory is not writable.

Post by dam-man » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:43 am

Go with Filezilla to the folders that are not writable and click with your richt mouse button.
Set folder permissions to 755 and try to upload again by using the administrator interface of Joomla!
Robert Dam - Joomla Forum Moderator
Dutch Boards | Joomla Coding Boards | English Support Boards

applestone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by applestone » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:45 pm

I haver a similar issue except that my files are writable. I tried to load a component using Installers >> Component and received the above error. However, my permissions are fine.

On another issue - when I entered the component installer it was corrupted i.e. the page was corrupted with a domit error. This is reported elsewhere. You can still upload and install components but because of the error, the component list has gone and this means you cannot uninstall.

Has anyone see this problem before or know of a fix. I am running 1.13 and am tempted to do an overwrite but I do not want to screw up my database or lose my existing component functionality. Can I do an overwrite of 1.13?

Any advice welcome.
Dave

augleovirgo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by augleovirgo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:19 am

Thanks for the response.  The instruction is pretty simple.  It just won't let me to change the CHMOD at all.  Is there another way around to it?  Can I put Joomla template version 1.5 on Joomla 1.011 on the web hosting?  I am wondering if it is the problem.

Here what I did, I uploaded the .zip file at Installers -> Template [ Site ] -> Upload File & Install. Is this the correct way to do it?
Last edited by augleovirgo on Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

dam-man
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by dam-man » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:25 pm

augleovirgo wrote: Thanks for the response.  The instruction is pretty simple.  It just won't let me to change the CHMOD at all.  Is there another way around to it? 
Sometimes you can change permission by using the control panel of your host.
Here what I did, I uploaded the .zip file at Installers -> Template [ Site ] -> Upload File & Install. Is this the correct way to do it?
This is the right way to do it.

augleovirgo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by augleovirgo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:27 pm

I right clicked on media folder and got the message that says "550 CHMOD 555 media: Operation not permitted.” It is the same thing for administrator/templates, and templates.  Do you think 1and1 web hosting is blocking it?  Do I need to do in the control panel instead?  Do you happen to know where to change the CHMOD in the control panel?

dam-man
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by dam-man » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:14 pm

You can try it with your control panel..
Wich control panel do you use ?

Hails2007
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Hails2007 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:39 am

Hi TIA
SO if you say you used the click n build with 1and1 and it restricted, and now you say it is resolved - did you uninstall the click n build and installed joomla a different way?
I too installed through click n build, and bought a template but the media directory is unwriteable etc. and I too am hosted at 1and1.
I also was hoping to use the Joomla 1.5 not the 1.0 on 1and1.
Help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Hails2007
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Hails2007 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:33 am

I've used smartftp to get to the folders that are unwriteable. The 550 error comes up and the operation error.
I went into my control panel at 1and1 and when I upload from the administrator/templates folder is says parent folder is read only.
I'm not too sure what else to do.
I changed using smart ftp to 755.
and no luck
any suggestions.

dam-man
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by dam-man » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:40 am

You could also try to set the permission by Joomla.
In the back-end go to: Global Configuration > Tab Server > Directory Permissions

RaduCo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RaduCo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:25 pm

An Error Has Occurred! Unable to open config file to write!

RaduCo
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by RaduCo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:27 pm

How can I change the file/folder permissions using the control panel of my host? I mean, where can i find them?
I`m using cPanel.

VickyAustin
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by VickyAustin » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Just got off the phone with 1and1 customer support and wanted to pass along my findings regarding Joomla install using their click and build app.

If you use the Click n Build application provided in their 1and1 control panel to effortlessly install Joomla on your site, it will be seamless and effortless...BUT, alas, everything will be locked down tight! And I tried everything to unlock the directories.

You cannot change permissions on any of the directories necessary to install a template of your own choosing. You can only install their templates.

I couldn't believe it. So, they do you this huge favor by installing and configuring Joomla, but it's unusable for anyone with their own Joomla templates.

UGH. I will be writing a complaint - [email protected] -- please join me if you have a few minutes to spare and are an unfortunate 1and1 customer.

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”