Strip part of content in Joomla Wrapper

For Joomla! 1.0 Coding related discussions.
sinclone
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Strip part of content in Joomla Wrapper

Post by sinclone » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi all,

I am a newbie to Joomla and I have a problem here. I have a wrapper to a 3rd party website, however i only need a portion of information from this 3rd party website (I don't want to show the whole 3rd party website). Is there a way that joomla wrapper can strip off part of the 3rd party website to show only what i want? Or is there any plugin or module that does that?

Thanks
Regards
Jerry

dfelton
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Strip part of content in Joomla Wrapper

Post by dfelton » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Hello, I also am new to Joolma and am attempting to achieve the same thing you are currently working on.

Does the site your trying to pull from use frames? if so it is possible to pull the data from just a specific frame. I have been successful with that strategy. However I get stuck once again when trying to pull only a partial amount of a page that DOESN"T use frames.

Have you had any luck yet?

dam-man
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by dam-man » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi Guys,

Welcome to the forum both of you!

If your databases are on the same server you can show information from it. PHP will connect the DB, and the wrapper will show your page. If you want this inside Joomla! The story will be diffrent. You'll have to make a component.
Or use a module/plugin to show data inside a content page of Joomla!
Robert Dam - Joomla Forum Moderator
Dutch Boards | Joomla Coding Boards | English Support Boards

dfelton
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dfelton » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:13 pm

The data that I was trying to pull from wasn't located in a database. It was a portion of a page hard-coded on the page of another website.

See I'm creating a new website for the City of New Ulm, MN. And we wanted some of the content from the old site (which isn't managed by us). Since the content I wanted to pull from was all located inside a div tag, with an id assigned to the div...I was hoping there was a way for the wrapper link to pull only the content inside that particular div tag.

This isn't an issue for me anymore, since the content was all static and we decided to just copy paste all of it into our new site. However it would still be interesting to know if Joomla! has those capabilities. That and I think the original poster of this thread is trying to accomplish something very similar to what I was trying at the time.

Thanks!

bmose14
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bmose14 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:36 pm

I'm having the same problem. I want to display a part of our old site, but don't have access to it. You can modify the wrapper settings to only show a % of the page, but unfortunately it's only from the top left corner.
I haven't been able to figure out how to display something in the middle of the page.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
-Brian

RAGEDBULL
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by RAGEDBULL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:04 am

I am not an expert on how wrappers work, but if the div or other element has a specific id or can be identified by name, you can use Javascript to rewrite it. Also, at some point in the wrapper you are probably reading in the stream from the other site, break out the regex and filter the page down to what you want. You would probably have to write a simple component/module to be the wrapper application, I do not know if the current wrapper apps out there will do this.

So, you should probably be able to edit the data either with javascript once the browser renders it, or if you are reading in the html output through php the read in data can be manipulated with regex.

It sounds like a huge pain, and probably is, this is how we used to do it when I wrote AIM bots that pulled in weather an horoscopes from other websites (perl, but same idea).

bmose14
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bmose14 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:40 pm

RagedBull,
Thanks for the heads up. I have been doing some research on the matter and have pretty much come to that exact same conclusion.
Either some javascript or Ajax code is where my solution will reside.
Here is the location of the div in terms of css:
iFrame Wrapper HELP!.png
and attached is the complete <div> code.

Any idea what the javascript or ajax might look like?

All the best,
-Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

knigh7
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by knigh7 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:33 am

an extension with a start and end tag would be a great idea, have you guys come across any solutions?

TheMick07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TheMick07 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:34 pm

i tried writing a script for a toolbar like the one above and i too cant get it quite right, if someone could give a brief step by step of the javascript or Ajax?

sn00ze
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by sn00ze » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:23 pm

any progress on this one?

fronsky
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by fronsky » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:16 pm

could use some help on this one also :-)
Rgds,
Fronsky

HarryMatter
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by HarryMatter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi - please can anyone expand on what dam-man said about using a module/plugin for this? I want to pull content from a component into an article.

jemmerp
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jemmerp » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:40 am

how to show only part of the 3rd party?

jappie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jappie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:49 pm

I would like to achieve the same as above. To be more specific I want to show/embed PART from an external webpage into my joomla website. I would like to show only the content of the <div id="calendars"> within my joomla article from this webpage: http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental ... tion-avail

Anybody any solutions out there yet...we are getting close to 2011.

Merry X and splendid 2011 to ya all!

Return to “Joomla! 1.0 Coding”