Inline styles - important issue or not?

Discuss Search Engine Optimization in relation to Joomla!. This forum will also have discussions on SEF/SEO Joomla! extensions.
Joomlada
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Inline styles - important issue or not?

Post by Joomlada » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:44 am

I have checked my Joomla site with a seo score tool and it says that there are Inline Styles which should be gathered in a seperate file; this would promote re-use and makes the page smaller.

I'm not a complete newbie but have some questions regarding this;
These inline styles are for example <b>, <i> etc.?
Should inline styles be used with a css file, so instead of <b> a class is called like <p class="bold"></p>
Without manually re-programming there's no way of getting rid of these inline styles right?

Final question: from a SEO point-of-view: how important is this inline styles problem?

Any views are appreciated.
Joomla 1.5.7

PavlovaPete
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Inline styles - important issue or not?

Post by PavlovaPete » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:50 am

Hi Joomlada,
from a SEO point-of-view: how important is this inline styles problem?
IMHO not much. Unless you are in an ultra-competitive space trying to get that elusive page one result against your multi-national, well funded, phd-driven competitor with every single bit of juice you can muster I would not worry about it.

AFAIK inline style refers to the use of a style tag on the page. The idea would be to gather the definitions up and put them in a separate file. There is also the inline that you allude to - style definitions in the tag (think MS FrontPage)

The common tags such as b and i still need to be styled somewhere. So you could still use a <b> tag but in your style file you would make it font-size:60px and font-color:black.

Caveat: site speed might be a ranking factor.

HTH

Cheers
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=428&t=272481 Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool when you post.
Signature rules - Literal URLs Only.

Joomlada
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Joomlada » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:00 am

Thanks for the insight! I also doubt how serious one should take this; according to the mentioned seo tool my score is 90 out 100 (the 10 lacking is due to inline styles, fwiw) but I figure that's sufficiant considering that other more popular sites have a worse score than me ... I know not only seo makes a site score but nevertheless it is nice to have things 'prepared'. :)
Joomla 1.5.7

guruananthe
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by guruananthe » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:27 am

u can develop your own tool for this using some simple script
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

Return to “Search Engine Optimization (Joomla! SEO) in Joomla! 1.5”