Can you use a plugin in a module

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
jrosenbomb
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can you use a plugin in a module

Post by jrosenbomb » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:01 pm

I am using a simple html module for my Joomla 1.5 site. I wanted to use a plugin, for instance xtypo. But it doesn't work. I've had this issue with video or other stuff.

What do I have to do to make plugins work in a module?

troberts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Can you use a plugin in a module

Post by troberts » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:42 pm

I've got the same problem/question.

Seems no matter what I do, I can't get a plugin to work if it's in a module. Never had any trouble getting this to work with J1.0, anyone know how to do it in J1.5? I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall here.

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:06 pm

Hi. It might help if you could give a specific example of what you did in 1.0 and what you are trying to do in 1.5. Hope this helps. Mark
Mark Dexter
"Well...how did I get here?"

troberts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by troberts » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:38 pm

OK, an example:

In J1.0, I could create a .flv file and use the AllVideo mambot to to display the file in a module position simply by creating a User module and and calling the bot (e.g. {flv}video{/flv}). This would work fine. Just about any bot I tried, I could call right in a User module.

In J1.5, I create a custom module. In the HTML, I follow the same steps. I call {flv}video{/flv}. Then I test it. The site displays text only which, of course, reads {flv}video{/flv}. It doesn't use/activate the plugin, as though it's not even accessing the content plugins. Yet if I use that same code in a content item, character-for-character, it works just fine. But then it's not where I want it in the site.

I tried the customcontent module and tried to use it to call the article I created that contains the plugin, and still the module only displays {flv}video{/flv} instead of the video.

So, any suggestions?

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi. It sounds like this is a question for the AllVideo developers (since this is their plugin and not a Joomla! core plugin). Have you tried asking them? Hope this helps. Mark
Mark Dexter

troberts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by troberts » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:57 pm

It's not just their plugin. It's any plugin I try to use, whether it be AllVideos, FacileForms/BreezingForms, GoogleMap, etc etc.

Like I said, it's as though modules can't access content plugins in J1.5.

troberts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by troberts » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Anyone else or any other suggestions?

ahparrish
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ahparrish » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:01 pm

Try putting it in a div enclosure (i.e. <div>{flv}video{/flv}</div>).

See if that works.
Last edited by ahparrish on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oceanwatcher
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Oceanwatcher » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:17 pm

Seems like Joomla see the text and not the code where you want it to show.

When you set up a custom module, you get the WYSIWYG editor. You could try clicking on the HTML button, enter your code there and save. Somehow you have to get away from the WYSIWYG editor.

Another way around it would be to go to your user setup, change what editor to use, go back and edit the module and then go to the user setup to change back the editor again.

Somewhere in the back of my head there is something ringing about a plugin for using code in Joomla. Do a search for it and you might find something.
Regards,

Svein, aka. Oceanwatcher
My pictures: http://www.oceanwatcher.com/
Google+ profile: https://plus.google.com/107257551033066634962

ahparrish
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ahparrish » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:34 pm

That would most likely work. If you enter the code directly into the text editor it will show as text only. I had assumed (bad thing to do...) that he was already entering the code in the HTML code editor. A good habit to make it to always enter HTML code using the HTML code editor. I have done it often and it works great. Sorry for the confusion!

troberts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by troberts » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:41 pm

No confusion. I've been entering it in the HTML code editor, not using the WYSIWYG editor. Although I have also tried using the WYSIWYG editor to see if it made a difference. Doesn't seem to matter how it's done, still doesn't work.

troberts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by troberts » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:51 pm

ahparrish wrote:Try putting it in a div enclosure (i.e. <div>{flv}video{/flv}</div>).

See if that works.
Tried this also, still no luck

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi. Evidently, a change was made in 1.5 where Joomla! no longer parses Custom HTML modules for plugins. However, there are extensions that let you embed content inside modules, so, using one of these extensions, you can run plugins from modules (because the modules contain content, which then runs the plugin).

Here is one that works: http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

There are other available that probably work as well: http://extensions.joomla.org/component/ ... Itemid,35/

Hope this helps. Mark
Mark Dexter

troberts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by troberts » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:17 pm

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear any of them work.

These are plugins. To use them you must use the code (using the one you said works as an example) {insert_content_item xx}.

That just fails. Now, the Insert Content Items also provides a module you can use. I installed that, and in the parameters told it what content item to use. In that content item, I just used the code for the GoogleMaps plugin to show ( {mosmap width='500'|height='400'|lat='52.052312'|lon='4.447141'|zoom='3'|zoomType='Large'|zoomNew='0'|mapType='Satellite'|showMaptype='1'|overview='0'|text='sv DWO'|tooltip='DWO'|marker='1'|align='center'} ) and I linked that page to the menu and viewed it to verify it was working. It is. Map shows up just like it should. I set the module to display on the same page as the article's link. I then view that page. I get, well, this:

http://www.wedoitforyouwebsites.com/sta ... &Itemid=29

You can see, I've tried it several different ways. The code works fine in the actual article, but the modules refuse to run the plugin, no matter if it's entered directly as custom HTML or if it's being called in through a content item.

This is just one example of the behavior. It doesn't seem to matter what plugin is used. I've tried AllVideos, Facile Forms (BreezingForms), GoogleMaps, Insert Content Item, EMBED.

So, does anyone know a way around this?

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Hi. With a lot of help from a Joomla! pro (Jenny), I got this to work using the "Include Content Item Module" and "Include Content Item Plugin". There are two tricks. (1) You must use the "No editor" option to paste in the plugin code (which you also have to do for using the plugin in an article). (2) In the Plugin Manager, the "Include Content Item" plugin must be before the other plugins (in my case the Google Maps plugin). I think you can just put it first on the list.

With these tricks, I've got a google map showing inside a "mod_includecontentitem" module. You can either just put the Google code right in the module or you can put it in an article and then use the include article command to include the content in the module. Both seem to work.

For example, the contents of my mod_includecontentitem is as follows:

Code: Select all

{mosmap lat='52.052312'|lon='4.447141'|zoom='3'|text='sv DWO'|tooltip='DWO'|marker='1'}
Hope this helps. And thanks, Jenny!

Hope this helps. Mark
Mark Dexter

jroakes
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jroakes » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:12 am

JMAP (Plugin) works fine if you put the {jmap} tag into content parameter field of the mod_includecontentitem module by kksou.

tlacaelelrl
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tlacaelelrl » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:56 pm

This is actually a matter of developers adding the appropriate options in a module to parse the content using the plugins or not.

Triggering content plugins in your extension
You can view my free Joomla! extensions and templates at:http://www.tlacaelelrl.com/

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”