I can’t login to frontend, (I have php 5.2.6 not 4xx)

Need help with the Administration of your Joomla! 1.5 site? This is the spot for you.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Yasmine
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

I can’t login to frontend, (I have php 5.2.6 not 4xx)

Post by Yasmine » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi,
I tried to install fresh copy of Joomla 1.5 on a server,
Everything went fine, but I can’t login to frontend of my site, all I get is blank page.
At first I thought it must be that some files are missing, and tried to delete and upload again all of the files, and I did same thing several times, but it did not work.
Then I have tested installation on my wamp server and it works.

Now I think that there is something wrong with my server settings, probably file permissions on it. I can’t set public_html folder permissions to 0777 or 0775 or 0757, if I do that I get internal server error 500.

Please help,
Thanks!

PS. everything works ok on another hosting service I rent (and I have used the same installation of Joomla 1.57), so the problem must be to my new server settings!
Last edited by Yasmine on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.

digitall
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: When I try to login to frontend I get only a blank page

Post by digitall » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:18 pm

Sounds like server trouble to me.

Of course you've deleted the installation folder, right?

Try deleting all offline content + browser cache and trying again.

I remember I had this problem when I tried to login with SSL enabled in the user login module.

Goto Modules > User Module

See if SSL is enabled? You will not be able to login if SSL is enabled in your Joomla installation, but not enabled on the server. Therefore when trying tologin, you will experience a server internal error.

So if you see that SSL is enabled, try disabling it and logging in again from the front-end.

Hope this helps ;)

Yasmine
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Yasmine » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:57 pm

digitall wrote:Sounds like server trouble to me.

Of course you've deleted the installation folder, right?
Of course I did.
digitall wrote:Try deleting all offline content + browser cache and trying again.
Tried that, still does not work!
digitall wrote: I remember I had this problem when I tried to login with SSL enabled in the user login module.

Goto Modules > User Module

See if SSL is enabled? You will not be able to login if SSL is enabled in your Joomla installation, but not enabled on the server. Therefore when trying to login, you will experience a server internal error.

So if you see that SSL is enabled, try disabling it and logging in again from the front-end.
SSL was by default set to ignore, I have set it to off, and still nothing.

All I get is blank page, even if I don’t put any password or username or I put wrong ones or of course if I put the right ones.

Kardon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kardon » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:24 pm

I have the same problem, but I doubt is a server thing before I tried using another joomla with the same server before and it did work.

On the back end Module page for the login module. If I select a login/logout redirection page as a page that is in the Menu Trash (weird). Something works. At least I get the framework and a message that says: "User Details: Welcome to the registered user area of our site."

Does the same happen to you?

Yasmine
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Yasmine » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:29 pm

Kardon wrote:I have the same problem, but I doubt is a server thing before I tried using another joomla with the same server before and it did work.
It must be a server thing, because I have a same installation of Joomla at another server with different hosting service and it works just fine.

Kardon
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Kardon » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:06 pm

Yes you are right, it must be a server thing.
Apparently this front end login function on joomla 1.5.7 has a problem when working on a php4 platform. However, it works fine on php 5.

The content on this thread gave me the answer I was looking for:
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 5#p1427610

However, if you want a direct fix to it, and avoid reading the entire thing just go to this link:
http://docs.joomla.org/Why_can%27t_user ... h_php_4%3F

Yasmine
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Yasmine » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:09 pm

Kardon wrote:Yes you are right, it must be a server thing.
Apparently this front end login function on joomla 1.5.7 has a problem when working on a php4 platform. However, it works fine on php 5.
Thanks for your post ;) , but I have php 5.2.6. installed on my server.

Server settings are:

Apache version
1.3.41 (Unix)
MySQL version
4.1.22-standard
PHP version

Someone please help ! :(

ps. I have no plugins installed jet, just a fresh installation of Joomla 1.57

Yasmine
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: I can’t login to frontend, (I have php 5.2.6 not 4xx)

Post by Yasmine » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:23 pm

Even if it was not php4 problem php4 fix for frontend login worked.
So, it is solved ;) :) ;D !

@Kardon Thanks!

rgoins
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by rgoins » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:41 pm

I've tried each of your solutions/ideas but nothing has worked for me. I can access my frontend without any problem but not the backend. When I login to the adminisrtrator page I see the Joomla header but there is no menu, control panel, etc. I have set php to display errors but I get no errors.

Last week someone supposedly hacked into the site and installed some malicious code which placed a pop-up on my home page. My host (hostmonster) removed the malicious code but every since then I have not been able to access the administratior site.

millend
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by millend » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:57 am

rgoins wrote:I've tried each of your solutions/ideas but nothing has worked for me. I can access my frontend without any problem but not the backend. When I login to the adminisrtrator page I see the Joomla header but there is no menu, control panel, etc. I have set php to display errors but I get no errors.

Last week someone supposedly hacked into the site and installed some malicious code which placed a pop-up on my home page. My host (hostmonster) removed the malicious code but every since then I have not been able to access the administratior site.
rgoins

this is due to the fact that you got hacked... you are missing admin modules- copy paste this into your database; (this assumes ofcourse that your Joomla! installation has been set up with the jos_ prefix in the database, it could be anything, but then you will need to change the prefix in the code, so instead of jos_modules you change to yourjoomladatabaseprefix_modules etc.

And yes, there HAS TO BE a table called ***_modules (by default it's jos_modules - hence the code)

INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('2', 'Login', '', '1', 'login', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_login', '0', '0', '1', '', '1', '1', '');
INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('3', 'Popular', '', '3', 'cpanel', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_popular', '0', '2', '1', '', '0', '1', '');
INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('4', 'Recent added Articles', '', '4', 'cpanel', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_latest', '0', '2', '1', 'ordering=c_dsc\nuser_id=0\ncache=0\n\n', '0', '1', '');
INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('5', 'Menu Stats', '', '5', 'cpanel', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_stats', '0', '2', '1', '', '0', '1', '');
INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('6', 'Unread Messages', '', '1', 'header', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_unread', '0', '2', '1', '', '1', '1', '');
INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('7', 'Online Users', '', '2', 'header', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_online', '0', '2', '1', '', '1', '1', '');
INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('8', 'Toolbar', '', '1', 'toolbar', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_toolbar', '0', '2', '1', '', '1', '1', '');
INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('9', 'Quick Icons', '', '1', 'icon', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_quickicon', '0', '2', '1', '', '1', '1', '');
INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('10', 'Logged in Users', '', '2', 'cpanel', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_logged', '0', '2', '1', '', '0', '1', '');
INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('11', 'Footer', '', '0', 'footer', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_footer', '0', '0', '1', '', '1', '1', '');
INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('12', 'Admin Menu', '', '1', 'menu', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_menu', '0', '2', '1', '', '0', '1', '');
INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('13', 'Admin SubMenu', '', '1', 'submenu', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_submenu', '0', '2', '1', '', '0', '1', '');
INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('14', 'User Status', '', '1', 'status', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_status', '0', '2', '1', '', '0', '1', '');
INSERT INTO `jos_modules` VALUES ('15', 'Title', '', '1', 'title', '0', '0000-00-00 00:00:00', '1', 'mod_title', '0', '2', '1', '', '0', '1', '');

Hope this helps...

Return to “Administration 1.5”