yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Floddy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: yvComment - Comments extension for Joomla! 1.5

Post by Floddy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:18 am

Hi again!

Is there a way to determine if you're in category view or article view, from the listofcomments view?

Thanks,
Floddy

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

yvComment - How to determine view of component

Post by yvolk » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:19 pm

Floddy wrote:Hi again!
Is there a way to determine if you're in category view or article view, from the listofcomments view?
Your question may be formulated as "How to determine view of component?"

The answer is: Yes, from any yvComment's view.
Look at these arrays:
$yvComment->_DisplayTo[] and
$yvComment->_ParentView[]
You have to:
1) find index ($ind) of $yvComment->_IndPrev[] array element, for which
$yvComment->_IndPrev[$ind] < 0
2) Sought view = $yvComment->_ParentView[$ind];
(by the way, you will have also _ParentOption and _ParentLayout of the component)

(Instruction corrected, see later messages for more info...)
Last edited by yvolk on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:02 pm

Hi

I have been experiencing some issues with the two yvComment add-ons - yvBBcode and yvSmiley.

There appears to be some conflict with the BBcode plugin and the ninjaXplorer extension. When the plugin is installed, attempts to use ninjaXplorer results in the following PHP error:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare _pear_call_destructors() (previously declared in ../libraries/pear/PEAR.php:765) in ../administrator/components/com_ninjaxplorer/libraries/PEAR.php on line 692
When yvBBcode is disabled, ninjaXplorer works fine.

In the case of the yvSmilies plugin, the following is generated when I attempt to use the "Custom Smiley set file in aMSN skin" format.

* XML Parsing Error at 5:31. Error 9: Invalid character
* "smileys" element not found in aMSN SmileSet file ?? Maybe this is wrong XML file?
Smiley set file="../templates/yvsmilies/amsn/settings.xml"
          -- 
yvSmiley extension, version="1.03.0"
Two separate skin packages were tested in a attempt to guard against skin-specific issues. I can confirm that both smiley skins were uploaded cleanly and the paths to the sets files were enterred correctly.

I have tried both the bbcode and smiley plugins on two different servers and the results have been identical. Just thought I would mention this in case anyone who has experienced this has any solutions.

Regards

Joomla! 1.5.7
PHP 5.2.6
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

Floddy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: yvComment - How to determine view of component

Post by Floddy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:15 pm

yvolk wrote:Your question may be formulated as "How to determine view of component?"

Look at these arrays:
You have to:
1) find index ($ind) of $yvComment->_DisplayTo[] array element, which value = 'component'
(by the way, you will have also _ParentOption and _ParentLayout of the component)
Hi,

If I understand it right:
For example, if $yvComment->_DisplayTo[123] = 'component', I would check $yvComment->_ParentView[123], which would give me the current component view?

To check things out, I did some print_r of the arrays, and every value in $yvComment->DisplayTo is 'plugin'?

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Floddy

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:00 pm

Floddy wrote:
yvolk wrote:Your question may be formulated as "How to determine view of component?"

Look at these arrays:
You have to:
1) find index ($ind) of $yvComment->_DisplayTo[] array element, which value = 'component'
Hi,

If I understand it right:
For example, if $yvComment->_DisplayTo[123] = 'component', I would check $yvComment->_ParentView[123], which would give me the current component view?

To check things out, I did some print_r of the arrays, and every value in $yvComment->DisplayTo is 'plugin'?
You're right, I was too fast to answer :)

Step 1 should be:

To be more precise:

$ind = $yvComment->_Ind;
while ($yvComment->_IndPrev[$ind] >= 0 && $yvComment->_DisplayTo[$ind] != 'component') {
  $ind = $yvComment->_IndPrev[$ind];
}
$ComponentView = $yvComment->_ParentView[$ind];
Last edited by yvolk on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:26 pm

dizzi wrote:Hi
I have been experiencing some issues with the two yvComment add-ons - yvBBcode and yvSmiley...
Hi, please see answers to both problems and post questions to yvBBCode and yvSmiley threads of the forum.
In short:
1) It looks like ninjaXplorer incorrectly includes PEAR library (or you use old version of yvBBCode)
2) Some aMSN xml files are indeed not valid XML files (hence parse error...) and they need to be fixed...

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi, Yuri thanks for the quick response. I was not aware that these two extensions had their own forum :). Thanks once again for the links, I will check them out.

Cheers
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

Floddy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Floddy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:31 am

yvolk wrote:You're right, I was too fast to answer :)

Step 1 should be:

To be more precise:

$ind = $yvComment->_Ind;
while ($yvComment->_IndPrev[$ind] >= 0 && $yvComment->_DisplayTo[$ind] != 'component') {
  $ind = $yvComment->_IndPrev[$ind];
}
$ComponentView = $yvComment->_ParentView[$ind];
Seems to be working fine, thanks!

Out of curiosity, when is $yvComment->_DisplayTo anything else than 'plugin', and how comes the $yvComment->_ParentView array holds 'category, comment, category, comment' in category view, and not just 'category, comment'? Just curious, I don't really have to know why. :)

Another question: Is it allowed to change the "yvComments" link text in any way? Perhaps adding 'modified' or something to it, so that people doesn't wonder why it looks different. :)

Again, Thanks!
Floddy

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:04 am

Floddy wrote:Out of curiosity, when is $yvComment->_DisplayTo anything else than 'plugin'
The same code is used:
- in plugin (you saw this),
- in yvComment component (so you will see 'component'), e.g. when editing comment or in menu item with 'List of comments' type,
- and in yvComment module (so you will see 'module' also).
By the way, comments of the article (in 'article' view) may be shown not only in plugin, but in the module also (see details on the homepage...)
Floddy wrote:...and how comes the $yvComment->_ParentView array holds 'category, comment, category, comment' in category view, and not just 'category, comment'? Just curious, I don't really have to know why. :)
This is because yvComment creates new 'instance' (new set of parameters in arrays...) for each article in your 'Category blog view'. See yvCommentHelper::BeginInstance function.
When yvComment instance ends, this array index is not reused (so this parameters may be used (referred...) by other instances later on the same page...)
Floddy wrote:Another question: Is it allowed to change the "yvComments" link text in any way? Perhaps adding 'modified' or something to it, so that people doesn't wonder why it looks different. :)
I think, that ADDITION of any custom text (or even addition of another link to the Homepage of modified version...) to the yvComment's 'logo' is Ok.
By the way, when (if) you feel your mod is worth to be included in main yvComment package, just let me know: we'll do this...
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

christopherrobin
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by christopherrobin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:36 pm

I've been using yvcomment for about a month and I am pleased with it. Yesterday, I realized that there is an error when my users try to post a comment. I can't think of what it is that started the problem to occur. The comment is submitted to the database, but It appears to the user that their comment was not able to go through because of the error. The error they receive is this:

500 - Layout "blog" not found

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
   2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
   3. a mistyped address
   4. you have no access to this page
   5. The requested resource was not found.
   6. An error has occurred while processing your request.

Please try one of the following pages:

* Home Page

If difficulties persist, please contact the System Administrator of this site.

Layout "blog" not found
Has this been encountered before by anyone?

I've also had a problem before with too many comments on one page. Too many comments (I'd guess about 150) on one page caused the page to not load. All that happened was I got a white screen. This is a separate problem though, and I worked around it by pruning old comments regularly.

zoransoko
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zoransoko » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi Yuri,

First of all I want to say thanks for such a wonderful comments extension. I love it!

I sent you The Serbian translation of the yvComment the day before yesterday. I hope it didn't get into junk email folder :)

But I wanted to ask you something else about your extension.

Is there a different way to manage Preview of written comment before posting. When I say a different way, I mean on a Preview to open in a popup window or in the same page where the article, which is commented, is.

I really don't like returning to the frontpage every time I preview a comment I wrote. This is because I have some other modules before the part of my page where Preview of the comment appears and I need to scroll down to spot the Preview of my comment :(

Am I missing some setting for this or simply it is the solution for Previewing the comment before posting?

Thanks and again very vary good commenting system. ;)

Zoran

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:21 am

christopherrobin wrote:I've been using yvcomment for about a month and I am pleased with it. Yesterday, I realized that there is an error when my users try to post a comment. I can't think of what it is that started the problem to occur. The comment is submitted to the database, but It appears to the user that their comment was not able to go through because of the error.
The error they receive is this: "500 - Layout "blog" not found..."
What is version of yvComment/Joomla? Are comments being published immediately? What is exact URL of that error page?... too many questions to guess...
I've fixed some similar problem in v.1.19.3, that will be published soon...
My advice is to create test copy of the site and move it to the newest versions of yvComment and Joomla! ... and give us access to that site to see ourselves...
christopherrobin wrote:I've also had a problem before with too many comments on one page. Too many comments (I'd guess about 150) on one page caused the page to not load. All that happened was I got a white screen. This is a separate problem though, and I worked around it by pruning old comments regularly.
This may be caused by memory shortage (in PHP configuration... see some reports above...).
Did you try to turn yvComment pagination on?
Text of all my messages is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:37 am

zoransoko wrote:I sent you The Serbian translation of the yvComment the day before yesterday. I hope it didn't get into junk email folder :)
Hi, Zoran!
Yes, I've received your translation, but I didn't have time yet to check it... sorry.
zoransoko wrote:Is there a different way to manage Preview of written comment before posting. When I say a different way, I mean on a Preview to open in a popup window or in the same page where the article, which is commented, is.
I really don't like returning to the frontpage every time I preview a comment I wrote...
Comments will be previewed on the same page, as commented Article, again, in v.1.19.3
(This was so in v.1.18.4 ... but it appeared, that I need to invent new approach for this...)
Maybe, I will add an option to designate special page for comment editing/preview?! (Menu Item, that you may configure to have no modules...):
----
"Page for comment editing" option, with two values: "Page of the commented article" and "Custom page for comment editing". If you selected second option, you have to set value of the "Custom page for comment editing" (Select corresponding Menu Item to act as "Custom page for comment editing").
----
?

g0ldstein
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by g0ldstein » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi, I also got this problem: The comment was not found.: ArticleID=0; (Child ArticleID=11)

My Section, category are set.

I just reinstalled everything, changed only that 2 values to figure out if something else was involved in this problem, but I still get the same. (And Use Content Table is set to Yes)

I hope you can do something for me ;)
By the way if it's ever getting working, thanks a lot, That's the only Commenting free & good component available for J1.5 ! And you seem to give a good support too, that's really kind from you
Blog about graphic design, Web marketing & SEO [en] | Annuaire design, directory (Joomla! SOBI2) for graphic design & webdesign agencies [fr]

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:41 pm

g0ldstein wrote:Hi, I also got this problem: The comment was not found.: ArticleID=0; (Child ArticleID=11)
...(And Use Content Table is set to Yes)
And What is Acticle with ID=11 ? (See in Article Manager) What is the Section of that Article?

g0ldstein
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by g0ldstein » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:53 pm

Hi, thx for your quick answer!

Article with ID 11 is called "autre nouvelle" (it was the same article displayed when I got the error) and its section is called "nouvelles" (id=2)
Blog about graphic design, Web marketing & SEO [en] | Annuaire design, directory (Joomla! SOBI2) for graphic design & webdesign agencies [fr]

zoransoko
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by zoransoko » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:59 pm

yvolk wrote:Yes, I've received your translation, but I didn't have time yet to check it... sorry.
No problem. I made some small changes in translation after testing it and sent you in another email.
yvolk wrote:Maybe, I will add an option to designate special page for comment editing/preview?! (Menu Item, that you may configure to have no modules...):
----
"Page for comment editing" option, with two values: "Page of the commented article" and "Custom page for comment editing". If you selected second option, you have to set value of the "Custom page for comment editing" (Select corresponding Menu Item to act as "Custom page for comment editing").
:) :) :) This would be great. Excellent idea!

I'm waiting in anticipation for this feature. Thanks!

Will you make a post in this forum after yvComment v.1.19.3 is being launched?

Zoran

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:26 pm

g0ldstein wrote:Hi, thx for your quick answer!

Article with ID 11 is called "autre nouvelle" (it was the same article displayed when I got the error) and its section is called "nouvelles" (id=2)
Is this section: "nouvelles" - the same as you configured as "Section for comments"?

sudie97
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Where do the Emails go?

Post by sudie97 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:11 pm

YVComment is GREAT! Thanks!

One question: When a guest enters their email address, is it stored anywhere?

Thanks,
Susan

CybSBoss
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by CybSBoss » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:23 pm

Great extension, Yuri. It installs and performs flawlessly :) .

I have a couple of suggestions for future versions:

1) Can you introduce an option or two so that comment author links are formatted with the rel="nofollow" specification as part of the link. e.g.

<a rel="nofollow" href="comment_author's_domain">

This is becoming widely used in all comment systems to reduce link spam in comments. The link is still active at the top of the comment, but bots (particularly Google's bots) don't follow the link when ranking pages. SEO experts claim this is the best way to keep good rankings for blog and forum sites that have lots of comments.

2) It would also be nice if you could introduce an option to add a couple of lines of text or a link (along with target text) below the box where users enter comments. Many sites use one of these mechanisms to give comment writers more information about site policies for required information, email privacy, options for using html, tags, etc. in comments.

Bruce

g0ldstein
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by g0ldstein » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:48 pm

yvolk wrote:

Is this section: "nouvelles" - the same as you configured as "Section for comments"?
Yeah, that's exactly the same section (I got only 1). I really don't understand what's wrong

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by yvolk » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:01 am

g0ldstein wrote:
yvolk wrote:

Yeah, that's exactly the same section (I got only 1). I really don't understand what's wrong
You have to create Section (and Category in it) for Comments only! (Please read on the Homepage...).

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Where do the Emails go?

Post by yvolk » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:05 am

sudie97 wrote:One question: When a guest enters their email address, is it stored anywhere?
Hi, Susan!
Guests emails are stored in the matadata field of the Article's record (see more developer info here)

g0ldstein
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by g0ldstein » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:19 pm

yvolk wrote: You have to create Section (and Category in it) for Comments only! (Please read on the Homepage...).
ARG I am so sorry... I wonder why I didn't see this information.. please excuse me :S

thanks again for your wonderful work

lemur1
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Notify by comment an article?

Post by lemur1 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi,
the Thema was discussed in this thread in 2006, but I have not found the result.

In your comment system there is a possibility to notify by answer on comment.

But is there a such possibility for article himself?

I need to send to an author of an article an email informing if he get a comment on his article.

Thank you in advance.

simgia
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by simgia » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:43 am

Yuri,

Thanks so much for a great tool. There is one minor issue we would like to figure out.

Basically, we have a toolbar (AlphaToolbar) with print/email/tag buttons. Well, the toolbar only shows when you expand the comments under an article. We would like to show the toolbar under the article without the need to expand the comments. I tried changing the sorting of the plugins but it did not help. I am pretty sure this is something simple. Do you have any idea of what could be the problem?

_S

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Notify by comment an article?

Post by yvolk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:39 am

lemur1 wrote:Hi,
the Thema was discussed in this thread in 2006, but I have not found the result.

In your comment system there is a possibility to notify by answer on comment.

But is there a such possibility for article himself?

I need to send to an author of an article an email informing if he get a comment on his article.
I don't know about such possibility, I even wrote such request to community in "Your contribution is needed!" section of yvComment's Homepage (no reply yet :( ):
Create content subscription extension for Joomla! (or find existing one...)
There is a need for the option that every user can choose some commented articles where he will be notified if there is a new comment. So the user will be notified only if a favoured article had new comment.
I think, that this should not be "yvComment's feature" and some more general 'Joomla! content subscription extension' should be created (or existing found and adapted...), that would allow user to subscribe to new articles (and updates...) by: Section, Category, relation to specific Article (e.g. 'Subscribe to Comments of this article") etc. I don't know about such extension yet.

yvolk
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: yvComment and AlphaToolbar

Post by yvolk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:46 am

simgia wrote:There is one minor issue we would like to figure out.

Basically, we have a toolbar (AlphaToolbar) with print/email/tag buttons. Well, the toolbar only shows when you expand the comments under an article. We would like to show the toolbar under the article without the need to expand the comments. I tried changing the sorting of the plugins but it did not help. I am pretty sure this is something simple. Do you have any idea of what could be the problem?
I don't think, that your toolbar directly depends on yvComment.
But what you call 'when you expand the comments under an article' may mean 'when you change to the 'article' view of the content (of the article)'. So, this may be your toolbar's restriction (to show toolbar in 'article' view only) and you have to address it to toolbar's creator...

lemur1
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by lemur1 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:21 am

yvolk: I don't know about such possibility
Thank you for the answer.

So I now only two ways:

1. An author make a 1st comment for himself ;) and get notify
2. The author can get the rss feed so he will always see if a new comment is posted. (C: Daniel Dimitrov :-) )

Regards.

Floddy
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Floddy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:47 am

yvolk wrote:The same code is used:
- in plugin (you saw this),
- in yvComment component (so you will see 'component'), e.g. when editing comment or in menu item with 'List of comments' type,
- and in yvComment module (so you will see 'module' also).
By the way, comments of the article (in 'article' view) may be shown not only in plugin, but in the module also (see details on the homepage...)

This is because yvComment creates new 'instance' (new set of parameters in arrays...) for each article in your 'Category blog view'. See yvCommentHelper::BeginInstance function.
When yvComment instance ends, this array index is not reused (so this parameters may be used (referred...) by other instances later on the same page...)

I think, that ADDITION of any custom text (or even addition of another link to the Homepage of modified version...) to the yvComment's 'logo' is Ok.
By the way, when (if) you feel your mod is worth to be included in main yvComment package, just let me know: we'll do this...
Ok, thanks for all the answers, I think I pretty much get the picture now!

I was planning to work on the mod in the past weekend, but I ended up with some other (Joomla! related of course...) stuff.

Thanks,
Floddy

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”