Extension installation

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
AcLime
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Extension installation

Post by AcLime » Fri May 30, 2008 8:27 pm

Hello guys!

I can't to install joomla extension "JoomSEO".

When I try to upload file and install:

* Warning! - Failed to move file
* JFolder::create: Could not create directory
* Unable to create destination
When I try to install from directory:
Please enter a package directory
When I try to install from url:

* Remote Server connection failed, failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
* Invalid URL
So how I can install damn extension? Please help me!!! :'( :'( :'(

My site is: http://www.docs.crt.lt

Jooming
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: Extension installation

Post by Jooming » Sat May 31, 2008 12:26 am

Hello AcLime,

I wish I had an answer for you, but I have the same problem you have. If you follow the links below, you will see that LOTS of people have the same problem! I have been searching for an answer for over a week with no success whatsoever. Others have been searching for months!! :o

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=470&t=294163

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=470&t=215729

Or, do a search using the following keywords under "extensions" : "installing extensions". There are pages and pages of the same at the end of this search.

Please let me know if you find something.

Good Luck!
Bill
Jooming (Bill) :)

de4d
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by de4d » Sat May 31, 2008 5:56 pm

Same here I been looking for answer for weeks and weeks now but joomla forum doesn't fking care about it at all, instead mod delete my thread about these problem before..its really frustrating

If any 1 already found the answer let us know.

Thanks

AcLime
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AcLime » Sat May 31, 2008 6:29 pm

Yeah!!! Help us please! :'(

naturestemp
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by naturestemp » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:29 am

Same here. It's weird an answer never pops up. Maybe it's a conspiracy? I'm beginning to wonder if my host isn't screwing it up somehow with a timeout for installations that take past a certain time. As to install from url or directory I've tried that every which way but loose without luck. I wish I knew how because I go through the same thing with most modules. :(
John Wade the Dog Trainer
http://www.johnwade.ca

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Pinc » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:00 am

Check out this post and see if the solution works for you:

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=470&t=294163

;)
”Character isn't how you act when every one is watching; character is how you act when no one is watching.” ~ Anonymous
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Pinc » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:55 am

Also try this website:
http://www.joomseo.com/
;)
”Character isn't how you act when every one is watching; character is how you act when no one is watching.” ~ Anonymous
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

de4d
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by de4d » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:02 am

Thanks for your reply but searching for nothing is not what we are looking for. If there was a place to search by our self we would have done that to find the problem. Its obvious that we have looked all over the joomla.org. Please do not link us to search engine or google. When we are so frustrated to solve the problem from weeks and weeks.

Jooming
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Jooming » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:49 pm

de4d,

I feel your pain! I was experiencing this for almost two weeks as well. Just so you know, there is no solution for this, not if you are going to use either 1.5.3 OR 1.5.2.

I solved the problem by backing up my files, deleting Joomla!, deleting the database, deleting my clients account.

Then, creating a new account, a new database, performing a fresh install of Joomla 1.5.1, reinstalling my template and files.

Problem solved!!

Bill

PS: If you have been all over Joomla in the past few weeks, undoubtedly, you came across dozens of individuals with the same problem. Many of them are still looking for an answer. We found ours! You can keep on beating your heads against the wall trying to make 1.5.2 or 1.5.3 work, or you can simply install 1.5.1. Your choice! Good luck!!
Jooming (Bill) :)

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Pinc » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:32 am

de4d wrote:Thanks for your reply but searching for nothing is not what we are looking for. If there was a place to search by our self we would have done that to find the problem. Its obvious that we have looked all over the joomla.org. Please do not link us to search engine or google. When we are so frustrated to solve the problem from weeks and weeks.
Just trying to help, don't know what you have tried or not and after years of being with the forum, I find most people don't actually look so I tried to suggest something simple first. Don't ask for help if you don't want it. No need to be ugly.
Really wasn't trying to send you on any "wild goose" chase. ;)
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

de4d
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by de4d » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:40 am

Pinc wrote:
de4d wrote:Thanks for your reply but searching for nothing is not what we are looking for. If there was a place to search by our self we would have done that to find the problem. Its obvious that we have looked all over the joomla.org. Please do not link us to search engine or google. When we are so frustrated to solve the problem from weeks and weeks.
Just trying to help, don't know what you have tried or not and after years of being with the forum, I find most people don't actually look so I tried to suggest something simple first. Don't ask for help if you don't want it. No need to be ugly.
Really wasn't trying to send you on any "wild goose" chase. ;)
My apologies for my rudeness, without understanding other side of the matter. Yeah I agree with you many people never search for their problem by themselves and if you have noticed i posted here (http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=470&t=294163) long time a go as well. Any way I been looking for the problem solving since it happen yet still i have not find any happy result.

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Pinc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:51 am

Working on tryinmg to get you all some help with this. Be patient. Thanks. ;)
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

kcpopps
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kcpopps » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:23 am

Same problem here. Add me to the list of those anxiously looking for some solution....

BTW --- I can upload media --- but when I try to install a module, the same thing exactly as what the original post described...

Mine is 1.5.3 --- it's a fresh install....

de4d
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by de4d » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:27 am

kcpopps wrote:Same problem here. Add me to the list of those anxiously looking for some solution....

BTW --- I can upload media --- but when I try to install a module, the same thing exactly as what the original post described...

Mine is 1.5.3 --- it's a fresh install....
Hey there for 1.5.3 its easy to fix this problem if your web supports .zip. Any way worth giving a shot.
First you must enable your ftp through your joomla config option and after your enable. You can now go to installation option and then use the first option and brows your .zip moudles.

fireflyz
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by fireflyz » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:40 pm

I've had all kinds of ridiculous problems trying to install components and plug-ins, on my Joomla! 1.5.3 installation. Many of the same problems have been discussed in these forum topics and I believe there are people out there who haven't found a solution yet... so I'm just posting this because maybe it will help. I'm a total Joomla noob, btw... and this is my very first Joomla forum post.

I was experiencing all kinds of exciting error messages, everything from "Please enter a package directory" to "Failed to move file" ... my favorite was, "Remote Server connection failed, failed to open stream: Success" WTF >:(
None of those are very self-explanatory, it would be better if the error message gave a tip on HOW TO FIX what is going wrong.

So anyway, here's what I did...

First, I made sure these directories within the Joomla installation are writable (chmod 777).
(it depends on if you're installing a component, module or plugin... or some combination of these):

administrator/components
administrator/modules
/components
/modules
/plugins

I would suggest changing these permissions first, cus that could be a simple fix.

When I tried the mod installation again, I had no no luck... same BS errors. So, I got frustrated with it and changed ALL the folders to 777. Yeah, I know .. that's not a good idea, but I am modifying a development site with no traffic. If your site is live, travel with caution and only change a few directories. Then, flip those back to 664 or 775 when you're finished. You can use pretty much any FTP program to modify the permissions on folders, try Filezilla... it's free.

This is the only thing that helped me ...

I setup the FTP under "Global Configuration -- Server" and uploaded the compressed package .zip file.
It worked on the first try! Woohoo. Now I'm going back and changing all those permissions that I messed with.

:geek:

Degira
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Solved

Post by Degira » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:46 am

I try to explain how to solve that problem..
Its just about your ftp settings!!

First Step: Go to Admin Panel and Chose System Info under Help Section and check directory permisions..
--Help--Sytem info--Directory Permissions
And make all directories writable which is unwritable.

in example, this is our ftp server: ftp.example.com and your webserver is http://www.example.com
Connect to your ftp server and Open your configuration file..
When you connected ftp server,your files stored under www or public_html folder,so you must chance:

var $ftp_root = 'www'; or var $ftp_root = 'public_html';

It cant be blank,if you dont fill this so everything goes wrong,you cant install anything.

If you installed joomla under subdomain then you should do it like this:

var $ftp_root = 'www/subdomainfolder'; or var $ftp_root = 'public_html/subdomainfolder'; No trailing slash!

for http://www.example.com

var $ftp_host = 'ftp.example.com';
var $ftp_port = '21';
var $ftp_user = 'ftpuser';
var $ftp_pass = 'ftppass';
var $ftp_root = 'www'; or var $ftp_root = 'public_html';
var $ftp_enable = '1';

for http://subdomain.example.com

var $ftp_host = 'ftp.example.com';
var $ftp_port = '21';
var $ftp_user = 'ftpuser';
var $ftp_pass = 'ftppass';
var $ftp_root = 'www/subdomainfolder'; or var $ftp_root = 'public_html/subdomainfolder';
var $ftp_enable = '1';

If your document root is not www or public_html, then check adress bar on your ftp program and see where is your files stored on server(joomla installation)..

After this problem has been fixed:) Its not only for modules plugins or components.
You will never see error message for anything again.
If you have any problem ,just send me PM or email me.. [email protected]

Salam from Turkey..
Last edited by Degira on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Pinc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:43 am

Just a suggestion, but there have been a lot of bug fixes and I would strongly recommend an upgrade to the newest Joomla 1.5.6. See if this helps to alleviate any issues. It is also a security upgrade. ;)
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

Degira
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Degira » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:50 am

Problem is already solved..

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Pinc » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:51 pm

Great! Would you please go back and mark your post "solved" so other may benefit? Thanks!
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

Degira
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Degira » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:50 pm

I dont know how to send new topic.
All errors in admin panel are about errors in cunfiguration file.Just simle changes can make it work perfect.
I hope you have tested it and can tell me its really works.
Thanks..

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Pinc » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:17 pm

go back to the original post and click "modify". Then on the drop down, select "solved". ;)
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

jwensil
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jwensil » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:56 pm

de4d wrote:Same here I been looking for answer for weeks and weeks now but joomla forum doesn't fking care about it at all, instead mod delete my thread about these problem before..its really frustrating

If any 1 already found the answer let us know.

Thanks
I'm sorry... I just had to respond to this post. If Joomla didn't care, there wouldn't be a Joomla to begin with. This is a huge project to work on with TONs of support. Yes, I'm having the same issue as everyone else, but the CMS is free. I can do a little research on my own and if I'm that desperate then I could always go learn how to code it myself, as should you.

Just want to give a HUGE thank you to the Joomla contributors and everyone who posts help in the forums everyday #1 for Joomla to begin with and #2 all of the support that is out there for it.

Considering other software and products that I actually PAID for and have gotten very little support (Comcast, BestBuy, Verizon to name a few big ones), the support for Joomla (which is FREE!!!) is absolutely amazing.

So next time you think about griping about how much Joomla support sucks, or they don't care... Remember... IT'S FREE AND PEOPLE ARE TAKING TIME OUT OF THEIR OWN PERSONAL LIVES TO BRING THIS TO YOU!

*rant off*

jwensil
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jwensil » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:28 pm

I know this topic has been 'solved' but wanted to post what worked for me... From another thread:

Pikselpusher wrote:
I've been using Joomla for a while and just now came across this error after installing ver. 1.5.
According to the different threads in the forums there seem to be a lot of different ways of fixing this problem (with lots of funky results):

Some had to allocate more memory for their PHP
For others it works to chmod all files and folders to 777 (which is a poor solution, security-wise)
Another way, apparently, was to change FTP-settings in Global Configuration to NO.

... and the list goes on.

For me, it worked to go to the server settings in Global Configuration and change Path To Temp-Folder from
/temp

to the more correct

tmp

I hope one of these (odd) workarounds gets it done for you guys

~~~

The bit about changing from the fully qualified temp directory to just tmp worked for me.

Thanks all!

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Pinc » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:52 pm

Just a little elaboration here. First off there is a new 1.5 compatible version available from the makers of JoomSEO.
http://www.joomseo.com/
AND Joomla has also just come out with a 1.5.8 version that needs to be implemented to sites.
Secondly, as for Joomla not caring, Joomla Forum focuses on solving problems to do with their product mainly. As a moderator of another forum, I can't tell you all how many questions we answer during the course of a day, and they all take time, usually there is not a five minute answer.
That said, Joomla Forum probably expects you to seek help from the developers of the extension or the component in question. In this case it is JoomSEO which is not a Joomla.org product.
Just wanted to clarify that for those who are new to Joomla and may not understand how Open Source works. ;)
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

TheMick07
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TheMick07 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:49 pm

Im glad to see this solves the problem, i havent ran into this yet and now that this is up I wont have to, thanks!

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi,

I just installed the latest version of Joomla (1.5.11) 4 times from scratch.

Impossible to set Log & temp folder to writable despite they're effectively 777

Impossible to install anything through tej "Install/Uninstall" menu. Always an error Message.

I'm actually trying to install CCBoard.

If My ftp is OFF in the global settings, I can't upload and install (makes sense). I'm still trying ti figure out how it work for others though....

When it's on I don't have de Jfile error message but this one: "unable to find install package"

And since a few Hours these:

* JFTP::mkdir: Bad response
* JFTP::chmod: Bad response
* JFTP::store: Bad response
* Warning! Failed to move file.

(I haven't changed anything however).

I'ce spend the complete day on many forums trying to find a solution and I'm just fed up with this Joomla crap.

I installed Virtuemart manually because it was of course impossible to perform the Installation through the backend.

If anyone has the answer he/she will literraly save my poor mental sanity! :lol:

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Pinc » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:57 am

Know first, that the latest version of Joomla is now 1.5.12. It is a very important update for security reasons.
Also, who are you hosting with?
I have been about to tear my hair out with a clients Godaddy site. They keep arbitrarily changing the permissions on me!
Also, be sure the upgrade you did last was done correctly. Are you sure you used the correct patch? When you say "from scratch" do you mean an entirely fresh install on a CLEAN site??
;)
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:45 am

Pinc wrote:Know first, that the latest version of Joomla is now 1.5.12. It is a very important update for security reasons.
Also, who are you hosting with?
I have been about to tear my hair out with a clients Godaddy site. They keep arbitrarily changing the permissions on me!
Also, be sure the upgrade you did last was done correctly. Are you sure you used the correct patch? When you say "from scratch" do you mean an entirely fresh install on a CLEAN site??
;)
Yes, it was a fresh install...

I'll try the 1.5.12 patch if I can install it. Hope it won't screw up the work already done :laugh:

I host in Switzerland, KREATIVEMEDIA but I don't think I have any trouble with the permissions. Everything looks OK.

Pinc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Pinc » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:09 am

I was wondering more what the PHP version is for the site.
I think PHP5 is now considered the best.
Patch is simple to do, don't worry.
Just find the version you have now and gt the patch from that to the new version.
Unzip on your local machine and then FTP the files in to the sites public_html folder and allow the overwrite of the files that are being changed.
It will only want to overwrite the files that need changing.
;)
JOOMLA 2.5 AND 3.0

Kotetsu52
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Kotetsu52 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:01 am

Thank you for taking the time to answer me.

I have to confess that I don't know where to find the version of PHP I have now...

I'll try to find out.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”