Printing 1.5 Help Screens

clearnetmedia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Printing 1.5 Help Screens

Post by clearnetmedia » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:04 am

I'm new to Joomla and am building a complicated site and would like to be able to print off the 1.5 Help Screens so I don't have to go back and forth. When I try to print them, many say I don't have access and need to log in.

Is there a way that I can simply print them all off? I'm more comfortable when I have the documentation beside me rather than saving and searching all the time.

Thanks.

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Printing 1.5 Help Screens

Post by dextercowley » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:14 am

Hi. What exactly are the steps you are following? I just tried a few articles and they seemed to work. Here is what I did.

1. Navigated to 1.5 Help Screens here: http://help.joomla.org/content/section/42/278/.
2. Selected an article.
3. Pressed the Print button in upper right.
4. Printed.

Did you try it this way? If so, which articles are not working for you? Thanks. Mark
Mark Dexter
"Well...how did I get here?"

clearnetmedia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by clearnetmedia » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:35 am

Mark hi. Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes I navigated to the 1.5 Help Screens at help.joomla.org. Some of the articles print, some do not. For example, when I select J!1.5_HS_Content and then select Content Category Manager, the article appears. When I select the Print button, a pop up window appears with the article and I am able to print.

However when I select other articles, for example, when I select "Content Category Manager - New/Edit", "Article Manager", "Article Manager - New/Edit" or "Front Page Manager", and then select the Print button, the pop-up window tells me "You are not authorized to view this resource. You need to login."

These are just some of the examples. Some are printable and some are not. I'd like to know beforehand that I am able to print ALL the articles, not just some or most of them.

Am I missing something? I can't see why I would be allowed to print off some articles and not others.

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:17 pm

Hi. What browser are you using? I just tried these in Firefox 3 and in Internet Explorer 7 and the articles you list printed fine for me. I wonder what is different?

A work-around for you might be to print the help articles from the Wiki instead of the help site. They have exactly the same content. The link to the Wiki help page is http://docs.joomla.org/Help_screens.

Hope this helps. Mark
Mark Dexter

clearnetmedia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by clearnetmedia » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:27 pm

I don't get it. I too use FF3. I also tried the Wiki page.

Do you know how I might go about downloading a whole copy of the current 1.5 help? Somewhere, someone has to have all the docs in one file?

Doug

2ninerniner2
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by 2ninerniner2 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:35 pm

Bonjour,

Not sure about who has all the docs, but have you tried printing from the Help in the admin area of one of your installs?

Cheers!
Lyle
@snifflevalve

clearnetmedia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by clearnetmedia » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:51 pm

Sorry, of course I can print from the Wiki page, but I'm not sure that the HS's are the same. I assume they are.

But now this is bugging me. Why you can print these selected articles and I cannot.

Hmmm.

clearnetmedia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by clearnetmedia » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:56 pm

Bonjour Lyle.

Yes, I've tried printing from within the admin area initially, then from help.joomla.org.

Some print and some don't. It's a mystery.

dextercowley
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dextercowley » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi. Just to make it clear, the Wiki files are exactly the same content as the help. In fact, starting with version 1.6, the Joomla! help will only be in the Wiki. I don't know of any way to download all of the help files at one time. Mark
Mark Dexter

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”