Internet Explorer Error when Site Closes

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
janeinpa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Internet Explorer Error when Site Closes

Postby janeinpa » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:23 pm

I just made a few changes to my site and now when I close it in Internet Explorer I get this error:

Line: 6
Char; 6250
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
Code: 0

What is this about? How do I fix it? The only thing I did was to change some articles from "registered" to "public". I made editorial changes elsewhere, but that shouldn't cause this.

Here's the site: www.rebeccadengler.com

Thanks!

GameDaddy
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Internet Explorer Error when Site Closes

Postby GameDaddy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:11 pm

When you speak of closing your site, do you mean closing the Internet Explorer Window? Which version of IE are you using?

Reason I'm asking is because I viewed a number of pages with IE7 and they are rendered perfectly. In addition, I'm not getting an error when I close the IE Window. Do I need to login and logout?

I also had a look at this with Chrome and I'm getting a minor formatting error here. Are there any Firefox users present that can confirm this?

Image1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

janeinpa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Postby janeinpa » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:34 pm

I just discovered that it is coming from the "utiliclock" module on the front page. If I disable that I don't get the error anymore. Is it possible it is just on my own computer -- I recently installed some anti-spyware and virus software. I disabled it for now. Maybe there is a better clock extension I can try.

janeinpa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Postby janeinpa » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:35 pm

I see the formatting problem in Firefox also.

GameDaddy
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Postby GameDaddy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:33 pm

There we go, looks great now!

Cheers! :)

janeinpa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Postby janeinpa » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:12 am

Thank you so much for catching that problem in Firefox! I think I'll try un-installing the clock and re-installing it to see if that fixes things. Could it be just my computer?

GameDaddy
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Postby GameDaddy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:04 am

janeinpa wrote:Thank you so much for catching that problem in Firefox! I think I'll try un-installing the clock and re-installing it to see if that fixes things. Could it be just my computer?

Entirely possible and very likely. With Windows plenty of the libraries used for individual applications conflict in their interaction with the Windows API and their combinations produce unpredictable crashes in the various interfaces and programs used. If that's the case then it is only affecting your computer, the one you are using to view pages with.

You'll be happy to know that Joomla! is far more resilient and robust, and for the most part renders extremely well across a wide variety of systems using a wide variety of operating systems and libraries.

For the most part, you only have to worry about getting the css styles adjusted for browsers for your visitors. 2008 browser stats from W3c schools for December showed the following browsers being most commonly used:

IE6 - 19.6%
IE7 - 26.1%
Chrome - 3.6%
Firefox - 44.4%
Mozilla - 0.4%
Safari - 2.7%
Opera - 2.4%

Chrome, Firefox, and Mozilla render using a common engine that uses a css standard, so it is extremely rare there is a difference in how they render pages, however a difference does happen from time-to-time because of how they choose to implement the CSS.

IE6 is phasing out, and every month now, I'm seeing a decline in the use of that browser.

IE7 is the most common Microsoft browser used, However IE8 has been released in a Beta already.

The good news is IE8 uses a common engine that was designed originally by Mozilla that uses the same standard css rendering that the Mozilla and Chrome browsers use so life will get much easier for webpage designers when Microsoft releases IE8 provided they don't alter the existing IE8 Beta too much.

Safari and Opera Browsers are used by MAC users and Linux/Unix purists. They use the strictest interpretation of CSS and have the fewest problems in rendering the International w3c standards, however designing pages that look great in Safari and Opera will absolutely break when viewed with an IE6 browser, and very often with an IE7 browser, and infrequently with Firefox/Chrome/Mozilla.

It's an absolute trade off of time spent versus diminishing returns, however if your pages are designed with CSS included for IE6, IE7, Firefox, and Opera 96.1% of your visitors will see your web pages exactly how you intend them to.

To get a look at how your pages look using different browsers you can check out this site:
http://browsershots.org/

Cheers!

janeinpa
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Postby janeinpa » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:22 am

Thank you again! I'm really surprised by that percentage of Firefox users!

ScubaBadger
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby ScubaBadger » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi

I've got a simlar problem when my site closes and I can't sus it out.

The error message I get is:

Line: 1
Character: 1
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method

The site is http://www.spainalive.tv

If anyone can identify what we have done wrong it would be great,
Thanks in anticipation.

zappaes
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby zappaes » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:31 am

Hi All,

A possible solution (hopefully for most). I built the site in the above post, spainalive.tv and have managed to fix simply by replacing the mootools.js script that ships with joomla1.5 with a more recent version. (site at time of writing is J! 1.5.9)

I'm guessing it may be a script conflict as opposed to anything actually wrong with joomla or the 1-11 version of mootools but it did the trick for us.

go to
media/system/js and replace mootools.js (which is 1.11) with mootools.js (v 1.2) which you can get from http://mootools.net (i downloaded the YUI compressor version, i guess hosting type may influence choice????)

I have not tested beyond the issues for the above site so cannot guarantee it's a 100% problem solver but it certainly worked for us.

Chances are 1.2 will be packaged with future versions of joomla 1.5 so i would check the version first.

Hope this helps!

ScubaBadger
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby ScubaBadger » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:04 am

Zappaes zapped the problem...
Cheers zapps - very well spotted...
Hearty thanks... ScubaBadger

zappaes wrote:Hi All,

A possible solution (hopefully for most). I built the site in the above post, spainalive.tv and have managed to fix simply by replacing the mootools.js script that ships with joomla1.5 with a more recent version. (site at time of writing is J! 1.5.9)

I'm guessing it may be a script conflict as opposed to anything actually wrong with joomla or the 1-11 version of mootools but it did the trick for us.

go to
media/system/js and replace mootools.js (which is 1.11) with mootools.js (v 1.2) which you can get from http://mootools.net (i downloaded the YUI compressor version, i guess hosting type may influence choice????)

I have not tested beyond the issues for the above site so cannot guarantee it's a 100% problem solver but it certainly worked for us.

Chances are 1.2 will be packaged with future versions of joomla 1.5 so i would check the version first.

Hope this helps!

zappaes
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby zappaes » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:17 am

it's not all good news :( the admin functionality appears to be effected by the change in mootools script unfortunatly) I'll continue to look at this and see if there is a consistent fix for both. I'll also report to Joomla team as a possible bug.

For me, the main thing is getting the front end user experience right, i can work around admin issues. Ideally it would be seamless between the two but in the short term it's the front end is the business facing aspect of the site and that's what matters most.

Of course any other solutions are most welcome.

ScubaBadger
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby ScubaBadger » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:37 am

Interesting that after my visit, instead of the java message saying thhe page would not close, I hhad a rapid succession of new instances of IE open that were difficult to stop (again in IE). I managed to stop them in the end by using the task manager and closing the processes that were opened (3 or 4) and that was of THIS JOOMLA forum page !

kirk71
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Postby kirk71 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:03 am

This error is due to the 'onunload' function in the javascript of mootools 1.1 The problem arrises when external javascript elements are loaded into the page such as embeded video media etc. Upon closing the page the script tries to unload the objects but is unable to
To eliminate the problem you will need to edit the mootools.js file located in media > system > js

remove the following code from line 43 of the javascript:

Code: Select all

window.addListener('beforeunload',function(){window.addListener('unload',Garbage.empty);if(window.ie)window.addListener('unload',CollectGarbage);})

This should fix the problem

randycedeno
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Postby randycedeno » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:43 pm

None of these solution work for me! my site is www.visitadoramedicos.com any help on that?

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”