ArtCats 1.5.2 Module (Show Article/Category List Auto.)

Do you have an Open Source Product available for Joomla!? Let everyone know here.
dbjoom
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: ArtCats 1.5.2 Module (Show Article/Category List Auto.)

Post by dbjoom » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:10 pm

Ok, thanks for the feedback and advice.

tservers
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tservers » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:22 pm

Thanks orware!... it works like a charm. I've been trying to list my articles like the ArtCats does in the modules as of today. I'm glad that this wasn't hard to find at all. Version 1.5.2 wouldn't install, but as I read the other threads, I saw you updated to v1.5.4. I tried that one and it went flawlessly. :p

Now I can list my articles in the side bars now with no problems.

This is right on time!

Thanks

tservers

orware
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by orware » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:51 pm

Great to hear tservers!

I've been working on an update to ArtCats and my subcategories patches, but have had to delay completion for weeks now. I'm hoping that during the holidays I'll have enough free time to put together a real website demonstrating the module and all of it's features :-). (I got quite a few new additions I'm adding into it).

tservers
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tservers » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:38 am

orware wrote:Great to hear tservers!

I've been working on an update to ArtCats and my subcategories patches, but have had to delay completion for weeks now. I'm hoping that during the holidays I'll have enough free time to put together a real website demonstrating the module and all of it's features :-). (I got quite a few new additions I'm adding into it).
Hi orware,
This addon has saved me valuable time on my web sites. I've already placed ArtCats in my collection of "MUST HAVE" Joomla! extensions. I will be keeping up with ArtCats for sure.

Keep up the great work!!!

tservers

tservers
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by tservers » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:47 am

Hi orware,

I had to get me some sleepy-sleep.. :eek:

anyway, I was just testing out the ArtCats and everything seems to be working as module says. But I am not seeing the module on any of the article titles page.

For example: I have a category called Games and when you go to that category you can see the ArtCat module to the right with all of the articles listed. All is good up to this point.

If I click on a title that's listed in the module, it'll take me to that page, but the ArtCat module isn't on that page.

I guess what I'm saying is ... is it possible to have the ArtCat on the right hand side of all the pages that are in the Games category? ... yeah, that's what the question is. It lists the articles perfectly.. now if I can get that module to list in all of the pages of that category.

I'll play around with it some more and see what I can turn up. This extension has empowered me to move ahead with some other project needs. Even if it couldn't do what I would want, it is still something I'll always use anyway. There is a need for this... at least for me it is.

Thanks again for such a great extension and a contributor to the Joomla! community.

tservers

[Side Note to Moderators]
I notice that the time of this post and my last post are approximately 2 hours apart, according to the time index. The real fact is that right now from the time I posted that one that has the time of 9:28pm.. It was approximately 2:00pm my time.. CST... it's now 10:52pm CST. .... so.... the time is wrong for my post before this one. My timezone is set correctly here and elsewhere. That's at least an 8 hour time squeeze. I've been asleep for about 7 hours.

just thought you should know

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:19 pm

orware wrote:Great to hear tservers!

Looking forward to this demo and upgrade! Happy Holidays too!

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:29 am

Hi Orware any updates about this important improvment for Joomla core?

Maybe you should join the core team working with them to implement this into the J 1.6 core with subcategory project too? you have the skill I can believe...? ;)

what you think? :pop

best regards!

ColinF
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ColinF » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:29 am

Hi, this module is great. It's exactly what I need for making the blog section of my site act and feel more like a WordPress blog (because those have that Category menu on the right side). I've noticed some discussion about where and when this module will display what each individual needs for their site. In my case, I want something different too.

Basically, like I mentioned, I want it to act like a WordPress blog. In other words, when you are in the blog page of my site, I want it to display all categories from the blog section. If you click on a category on the module, I want it to still display all categories so you can quickly and easily switch to a different category. It would also be nice for it to display the same thing when you are in a specific article. The other thing about that is that when you click on a category or an article, the module position stays open, but nothing is displayed and that just looks bad. I would want the module to continue to display all categories.

Btw, I downloaded the 154 update that is in this thread. I thought it changed something about that... but I guess not.

So is there a way to get what I'm looking for? Would it be too difficult? I know a lot of people want different things, so could it be a parameter option (that's probably even more complicated?)

Thanks for the module!

Edit: Ah, it sounds like you're working on maybe adding this functionality but haven't completed the update? That's fine... can we get an update on progress? When do you expect the update to be completed? Rough estimate is fine with me.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:26 am

or you can try the new (Wordpress) Jpress here...

http://joomlacode.org/svn/jpress revision 181 today

Just dl Tortoise http://tortoisesvn.net/ create a folder point that url to your folder and dl it.

**** B u t this is dev release but I think they now are a great way on the track. Read more at Jfobar pages

ColinF
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ColinF » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:29 am

Hmm... not sure on that Tortoise deal. Seems like if they wanted people to get their extension they would put in a readily accessible location. Not somewhere that you need a workaround just to download.

Sounds like a good thing to keep my eye open for. I checked out mojoblog which was designed around WordPress and does a pretty good job of emulating it (based on their demo site) but unfortunately it costs money... and I just can't justify spending it on this site at the moment.

Anyways, thanks for the response.

Maxal
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Maxal » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:13 pm

I just dowloaded the module (1.5.2) to be used with a Joomla 1.5.0 site. But after activating the module, my site doesn't show up anything but a blank white page. I badly need this module to work for me. Any idea what is going wrong and where?

Thanx
Max

ashim
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by ashim » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi,
I tried V154 from this forum but it still has the same issue, as soon as you click on the article, the module disappears. It defeats the purpose of the module. Also it would be nice to provide updates in the joomla extensions itself instead of the forum.

kaezr
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kaezr » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi!

First of all, a big big thank you to orware, as i'm using this module combined with subcategories_patches-0.5_J1.5.9 and it rocks! 8)

I'd like ArtCats to show only the categories in the first level of depth in my subcategories tree: for example

Code: Select all

root
|_cat1
|_cat2
| |_cat21
| |_cat22
|    |_cat221
|_cat3
if i click on root, i'd like to see cat1 cat2 cat3
if i click on cat2, i'd like to see cat21 cat22

while at the moment, if i click on cat2 i see cat21 cat22 cat221

how can i do?

EDIT:

i made a first step: to visualize only the first level of subcategories, you just have to add a WHERE clause to the query that fetches the subcategories

. ' AND a.parent_id = ' . $params->get( 'catid', 0 ) .
back to my example, now if i click on root (which is a section) i see cat1 cat2 cat3.
how can i get the same thing when clicking on cat2?
if you need to find me
just go to the end of the longest line

kobryan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kobryan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:12 pm

How can I down load the 1.5.4 version? Love the modules but I really need the article listing to show up when an article is displayed.

Thank you in advance for you assistance.

Kelly

orware
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by orware » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:30 am

Hello everyone!

You can now download the latest version of the ArtCats module (version 2.0.0) at my homepage, along with some demo documents here:
http://orware.net

The latest version of my subcategories patches are also available (with some recent updates!) if anybody is interested in trying them out :-).

Feedback is always welcome!

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:52 am

orware wrote:Hello everyone!

You can now download the latest version of the ArtCats module (version 2.0.0) at my homepage, along with some demo documents here:
http://orware.net

The latest version of my subcategories patches are also available (with some recent updates!) if anybody is interested in trying them out :-).

Feedback is always welcome!
Thanks for this! Hope ArtCat and SubCat could be used in J 1.6 core well too!

But dl link not work...http://orware.net/images/stories/files/ ... -5-9-2.zip

jackyking
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jackyking » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:28 am

Thank you so much, orware

ArtCats module is totally what I want.

but download link of SubCat was broken.

orware
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by orware » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:25 pm

Thanks for your reply jackyking,

I've corrected the SubCats link (small typo in the filename) so that should be working fine now!

orware
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: ArtCats update to v2.0.1

Post by orware » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:51 am

Updated ArtCats to v2.0.1, get the latest version here:
http://orware.net/

I added a fix that a user named kaezr mentioned about my usage of the htmlspecialchars() function (prior to PHP 5.2.3 the 4th parameter I'm using was not available so I needed to add a check for users prior to this version). I also found a few other errors when I ramped up my PHP error notification settings that I incorporated into this version as well.

The main file that needs to be updated is the helper.php file but with this latest release I've added the method="upgrade" attribute within the module's installer file so now you should be able to take the latest version from the website and install it without having to uninstall/reinstall the module (and lose your current setup).

Have a good day everyone!

richwest
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: ArtCats update to v2.0.1

Post by richwest » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:40 pm

Omar,
Great Module. I installed it this morning and had the wholw thing functioning and styled properly in less than and hour. Awesome!

But I have one problem. On IE 7 the "plus" and "minus" and "expand all" do not work. If you click them nothing happens. Below is a link to my site.

http://www.orgcom.tv/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=60#

Do you know what the problem could be?

Thanks
Rich

orware
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by orware » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:29 pm

@richwest

I know I remember testing the module in IE7 at home and it working, but I did try out your link and tested in IE7 and I could see that the expandable mode was not working correctly (though there weren't any JavaScript errors either, which isn't helpful for me :-).

I'll be taking a closer look at this to see if I can see the source of the issue (it can be tricky to debug JavaScript issues, especially when something work in Firefox and not IE and I don't have Firebug available :-).

I'll put an update on here when I figure something out for you.

orware
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by orware » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:49 pm

@richwest

I just did some additional investigation and there appears to be a separate JavaScript issue on the site for IE7 that is unrelated to ArtCats, but which appears on the page that ArtCats is on (and on other pages of your site) that I am wondering could be due to the Yoo Effects plugin and/or the overIE.js file added by the template you are using.

It would be worthwhile to try disabling one or both of those and retesting in IE7 just to double-check if they may not be inducing the issue in IE7.

If after you have tested removing both of those and the problem still persists I can look into what else I may be able to think of that could solve the problem (I will also double-check at home in IE7 later on today when I get home).

orware
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by orware » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:59 pm

@richwest

I think I know where the issue may lie:

The overIE.js file located here:
http://www.orgcom.tv/templates/mp_tellix/overIE.js

Contains the following code:

<!--//--><![CDATA[//><!--
sfHover = function()
{
 var sfEls = document.menusan.getElementsByTagName(”LI”);

for (var j=0; j<sfEls.length; j++)
 {
  sfEls[j].onmouseover=function()
  {
   this.className+=” sfhover”;
  }
  sfEls[j].onmouseout=function()
  {
   this.className=this.className.replace(new RegExp(” sfhover\\b”), “”);
  }
 } 
}
if (window.attachEvent) window.attachEvent(”onload”, sfHover);
I'm not a JavaScript expert, but from what I've recently experienced with getting the JavaScript to work with the new Expandable Mode in ArtCats 2.0 is that whenever there is an equal sign and then a function declared you have to have a closing ";" so the code above should probably be written like this:

<!--//--><![CDATA[//><!--
sfHover = function()
{
 var sfEls = document.menusan.getElementsByTagName(”LI”);

for (var j=0; j<sfEls.length; j++)
 {
  sfEls[j].onmouseover=function()
  {
   this.className+=” sfhover”;
  };
  sfEls[j].onmouseout=function()
  {
   this.className=this.className.replace(new RegExp(” sfhover\\b”), “”);
  };
 } 
}
if (window.attachEvent) window.attachEvent(”onload”, sfHover);
(Note the extra semicolons above)

This will probably fix the error I keep on getting in IE, though I am not sure if this would actually fix the ArtCats issue you are experiencing.

orware
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by orware » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:31 pm

@richwest

I've corrected some IE related issues with the JavaScript, thanks for letting me know :-).

function toggle(whichOne, id){
    if (whichOne.getProperty('id') == id + "ExpandAll") {
        var navigation = $(id);
        var navigationULs = navigation.getElements('ul');
        var allImages = navigation.getElements('img');
        for (i = 0; i < navigationULs.length; i++) {
                navigationULs[i].removeClass('expand');
                navigationULs[i].addClass('contract');
                //navigationULs[i].setAttribute('class', 'contract');
                allImages[i].setProperty('src', 'modules/mod_artcats/tmpl/img/contract.gif');
        }
    }
    else if (whichOne.getProperty('id') == id + "CollapseAll"){
        var navigation = $(id);
        var navigationULs = navigation.getElements('ul');
        var allImages = navigation.getElements('img');
            for (i = 0; i < navigationULs.length; i++) {
                navigationULs[i].removeClass('contract');
                navigationULs[i].addClass('expand');
                //navigationULs[i].setAttribute('class', 'expand');
                allImages[i].setProperty('src', 'modules/mod_artcats/tmpl/img/expand.gif');
            }
    }
    else {
        var theParent = whichOne.getParent();
        var theParentULs = theParent.getElements('ul');
        var theParentImage = theParent.getElements('img');

//Grab just the first UL and the first toggle image so that sub-sub UL navs/image don't expand too
        if (theParentULs[0].hasClass('expand')) {
            theParentULs[0].removeClass('expand');
            theParentULs[0].addClass('contract');
            //theParentULs[0].setAttribute('class', 'contract');
            theParentImage[0].setProperty('src', 'modules/mod_artcats/tmpl/img/contract.gif');
        }
        else {
            theParentULs[0].removeClass('contract');
            theParentULs[0].addClass('expand');
            //theParentULs[0].setAttribute('class', 'expand');
            theParentImage[0].setProperty('src', 'modules/mod_artcats/tmpl/img/expand.gif');
        }
    }
}
The issue was introduced due to my converting the original JavaScript code to use mootools after I had tested it using normal JavaScript. The commented lines above for setting the class attribute does not work correctly in IE7, but after going and looking at the mootools 1.11 docs again I've found the correct methods to use and have corrected the issue (I'll be posting an official update to ArtCats soon, but just thought you might want the corrected code above, just take the above and replace the contents of toggle.js with it).

orware
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by orware » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:48 am

New ArtCats release now available!

Get it here:
http://orware.net/joomla-projects/artca ... lease.html

Thanks to richwest's notifying me of the IE7 issue for the Expandable Mode I have corrected the JavaScript code powering that function and have things now working for Internet Explorer.

That should make Expandable Mode a tad more useful :-).

piotr_cz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by piotr_cz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:57 am

Hi,
I believe that I found a bug in the 2.0.2 and 2.0.0 releases.
In module parameters when I select 'Category View Type: Blog' it applies just to the Category currently selected in the Menu Item Type > Category Blog Layout. Other categories listed trough the module don't get added '&layout=blog' to the hyperlinks.

Kind of woraround for some cases would be to change Menu Item Type into Section Blog Layout but it doesn't apply to my site as there are too many articles within the section and I cannot use pagination as it applies to all categories within the section.

Please get in touch with me by email, I'm catching a deadline :-(

greetings, piotr

richwest
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by richwest » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:45 am

The issue was introduced due to my converting the original JavaScript code to use mootools after I had tested it using normal JavaScript. The commented lines above for setting the class attribute does not work correctly in IE7, but after going and looking at the mootools 1.11 docs again I've found the correct methods to use and have corrected the issue (I'll be posting an official update to ArtCats soon, but just thought you might want the corrected code above, just take the above and replace the contents of toggle.js with it).
Thanks for all your help on this. The new javascript works great.

orware
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

ArtCats 2.0.3 Released

Post by orware » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi everyone, ArtCats 2.0.3 has been released with the following fixes:

2.0.3 2009-04-25 / Omar Ramos
# Fixed Call Time Pass By Reference Issue Being Experienced by a number of users. Thanks to Gaila for the needed changes!
# Fixed getCategoryURL() Issue where URL would not correctly link to the Blog view for items not already in a Menu

Grab the latest version here:
http://orware.net/

An updated version of the Subcats Patches should be released soon as well with changes to support Joomla 1.5.10 (I had actually completed these at work over two weeks ago, but I didn't bring those changes back to my development PC at home where I have the subversion repository).

piotr_cz
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by piotr_cz » Wed May 06, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi.
I have problem with ArtCats 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 when joomla's default SEO settings are enabled.

problem: link on the category name (i.e. id 36) leads to article with the same id when it should lead to category blog layout. If there's no article with specified id I get 404 error.

i.e. site.com/cs/foto-video/36-foto.html
site.com/language/section name/category name.html

issue doesn't occur with sh404sef 15_1.0.19_Beta_build_232 (link is site.com/Foto/) but it has it's own bugs which prevents from using in my site.

I have also installed Joom!Fish 2.0.3 Stable
thanks!

orware
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by orware » Tue May 12, 2009 10:37 pm

Piotr,

I will take a look at this soon, but I wanted to ask everybody if they would like me to add support (either within ArtCats, or as a separate related module) for JoomlaWorks' K2 component, since it is looking to be the most full-featured CCK component (compared to JoomSuite's Resource and Yootheme's Zoo components).

You can find out more information about it here:
http://k2.joomlaworks.gr/
and a demo here:
http://k2.joomlaworks.gr/demo/

Return to “Open Source Products for Joomla!”