DISCUSSION - How to set up/install Joomla on Win XP for local testing

Discuss the FAQ's here, and get in touch with the FAQ Team.
raegan001
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

DISCUSSION - How to set up/install Joomla on Win XP for local testing

Post by raegan001 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:57 am

MOD NOTE: This is the discussion topic for the FAQ located here: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,25954.0.html

Excellent mini tutorial!
I have successfully done all of your steps (except I used myJSAS)

Q1:  How do I copy my site that I have already created on the internet to my laptop so that I can edit, test, etc.?    (I didn't set up the site, I added all the content to the site after it was already installed our our Intranet server at my company)

All the documentation I find talks about what you need to do to set up a local copy of joomla, but doesn't really get into newbie step-by-step details on how to copy your already existing site.

Q1:  Assuming I have figured out Q1 (hopefully with your help), how (step-by-step) do I then copy my site back up to the server?

Note: I understand the process of ftp'ing.  That's not where I'm hung up.  I'm hung up on the actual steps that I need to take in order to get my now edited site back up to the server.  Things like, when viewing your server side site in an ftp manager, where do I navigate and what folders and files to I transfer.

I'm so paranoid that I'm going to goof something up and then re-upload my site and mess everything up!  I have to feel 100% confident that I understand this process before I do it.  The site that I am referring to is my company's Intranet.  I'll be looking for a new job if I accidently corrupted or deleted our Intranet.  I have researched this for 5 days and I'm simply out of time and have to get this figured out.   :'(  ???  :-[

:::begging::: for help before I throw myself off a cliff in desparation,

Raegan :-)  :P
Last edited by Geoff on Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

FAQ - How to set up/install Joomla on Win XP for local testing

Post by Jenny » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:07 pm

I am also looking for how to transfer and existing internet site to a local machine and then using JSAS or XAMPP and then be able to sync up the site on a regular basis.

Is this possible?  I had heard that Joomlasolutions is working on a something called Jsync which I think is something along these lines, but until then does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks in advance  :)
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

wolfieCK
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wolfieCK » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:43 pm

Question, If I install Wamp5 on XP OS, can I still run IIS?
Thanks

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:26 am

Excellent mini tutorial!
Thanks Raegan :) I've never written a tutorial before so I'd hoped that the steps would be clear enough for non-techieslike myself to understand. I'm glad I was able to help at least one person - makes the whole process worthwhile :D
raegan001 wrote: Q1:  How do I copy my site that I have already created on the internet to my laptop so that I can edit, test, etc.?    (I didn't set up the site, I added all the content to the site after it was already installed our our Intranet server at my company)

All the documentation I find talks about what you need to do to set up a local copy of joomla, but doesn't really get into newbie step-by-step details on how to copy your already existing site.
Step 1
Using your favourite ftp suite (I use wsftp) copy all files/folders from your intranet server to your laptop. [ie. C:\wamp\www\intranet_joomla].

Step 2
If you have access to phpmyAdmin for your company's intranet then you need to export the database for the intranet version.

database export steps using phpmyadmin
  • First fire up phpmyadmin
  • Select the database that you want to export
  • In the horizontal menu in the main frame selct "Export"
  • Click on Select All
  • Make sure that "structure" is ticked
  • Tick all of: add DROP TABLE, add IF NOT EXISTS, add AUTO_INCREMENT value, Enclose table and field names with backquotes
  • Leave all other settings as default
  • Click on "Go"
  • Right click and "select all" on the resulting sql txt
  • Open your favourite text editor and paste from the clipboard, then save this files as intranet_joomla.sql
Step 3
Importing the database to your wamp install

database import steps using phpmyadmin within wamp
  • Fire up wamp and make sure that all services have started
  • click the little wamp icon in the system tray
  • go to phpmyadmin
  • in the text box for "create new database" enter "intranet_joomla" - without the quotes obviously :)
  • then click on "SQL" in the main frame
  • now you have two options, you can either right click and paste the sql straight from the clipboard into the text area, or you can select the location of the intranet_joomla.sql file we created earlier. Either way leave all other settings as default and click on the appropriate "Go" button
  • You can now close down this browser
Step 4
Configuring the intranet_joomla folder in wamp with the intranet_joomla db in wamp
  • fire up your favourite text editor and open the following file: C:\wamp\www\intranet_joomla\configuration.php
  • change the following values:
  • "$mosConfig_absolute_path" to "C:/wamp/www/intranet_joomla"
  • "$mosConfig_cachepath" to "C:/wamp/www/intranet_joomla/cache"
  • "$mosConfig_live_site" to "http://localhost/intranet_joomla"
  • "$mosConfig_db" to "intranet_joomla"
  • "$mosConfig_password" to blank (remove everything between the quotes ['] and [']
  • "$mosConfig_user" to "root"
  • save file
Now with wamp fired up in your browser go to http://localhost/intranet_joomla and you should see you company's intranet joomla backed up on your hard drive.
Q1:  Assuming I have figured out Q1 (hopefully with your help), how (step-by-step) do I then copy my site back up to the server?

Note: I understand the process of ftp'ing.  That's not where I'm hung up.  I'm hung up on the actual steps that I need to take in order to get my now edited site back up to the server.  Things like, when viewing your server side site in an ftp manager, where do I navigate and what folders and files to I transfer.
It's pretty much a case of the reverse of what we did in the above example but I'll go through it step by step just to help :)

Step 1
ftp the files/folders (EXCEPT the configuration.php file) from your wamp copy to your intranet server, just overwrite the existing files - at this point I'll make a timely reminder MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG!! DO YOUR SELF A FAVOUR AND STOP TAKE A BREATHER CHECK THAT YOU HAVE A COPY OF THE FILES/FOLDERS AND THE .SQL FILE CONTAINING THE DATABASE TABLES - Sorry to shout but I can't stress this strongly enough I messed things up as a noobie once and had a hell off a mess on my hands  :-[

Step 2
Upload the database from your laptop to your intranet server
  • Open phpmyadmin in your wamp and select the databse intranet_joomla
  • click on "export" and use the same settings as above to export your databse (again use the same process as above to save this sql text)
  • Open phpmyadmin in your intranet server and select the databse intranet_joomla
  • This time click on "SQL" and use the same process as above to import the new databse
I'm so paranoid that I'm going to goof something up and then re-upload my site and mess everything up!  I have to feel 100% confident that I understand this process before I do it.  The site that I am referring to is my company's Intranet.  I'll be looking for a new job if I accidently corrupted or deleted our Intranet.  I have researched this for 5 days and I'm simply out of time and have to get this figured out.    :'(  ???  :-[

:::begging::: for help before I throw myself off a cliff in desparation,

Raegan :-)  :P
Once this is done your intranet joomla has been updated by your local version. - Remember you can always test this process by ftp'ing the files/folders from your local version to a test folder on your intranet server, making sure that you change the configuration.php file properly. It'll help in building up your confidence before overwriting anything on the company's intranet - End result? You get to add a new tool to the box and see how easy joomla is to transfer from server to server. An extra plus is that the boss KNOWS that you KNOW what you're doing, and you get to shine your fingernails ;)
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.bulletprooftemplates.com/ - Joomla Templates and Consultancy

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:30 am

MMMedia wrote: I am also looking for how to transfer and existing internet site to a local machine and then using JSAS or XAMPP and then be able to sync up the site on a regular basis.

Is this possible?  I had heard that Joomlasolutions is working on a something called Jsync which I think is something along these lines, but until then does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks in advance   :)
Not too sure about this to be honest, I just use the above process on a regular basis (I'm not a techie I'm afraid  :-[), Once you get used to it it only takes about 5 or 10 minutes

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:32 am

wolfieCK wrote: Question, If I install Wamp5 on XP OS, can I still run IIS?
Thanks
As mentioned in previous reply I'm no techie. I've never actully used IIS but I wouold assume that the answer to this question is yes as you only ever fire up wamp when you need it and you don't need to change any settings in windows

guilliam
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by guilliam » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:32 am

in addition, check: http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,5703.0.html

its a thorough step by step walkthru in moving a MYSQL dump to another box.

well done @haaris!!

- g
"I was one of those who wondered why people would pay so much $$$$ to do something that was so much fun!" -R. Harkrider, Fortran Code Engr.

http://www.joomlaconsultancy.net

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:27 pm

Haaris all I can say is WELL DONE!

This step by step should be triple stickied, and added to the help files.  Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.  :-*

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by kenmcd » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:43 pm

haaris wrote:
wolfieCK wrote: Question, If I install Wamp5 on XP OS, can I still run IIS?
Thanks
As mentioned in previous reply I'm no techie. I've never actully used IIS but I wouold assume that the answer to this question is yes as you only ever fire up wamp when you need it and you don't need to change any settings in windows
You can do it but it takes some tweaks because of how IIS binds itself to all IP addresses.
See the fixes here:
http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic ... #msg139262

The easy way - delete IIS and be done with it.
:)
██ LibreTraining

thpublic
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by thpublic » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:11 am

Just discovered joomla, tried the online demo but couldn't login, so I found this local install thread.  I'm reporting my findings and solutions in case someone else has the same problem.

Wamp 5.160 looked like it installed properly, but one of the two services were not running.  I figured out from the help file that Apache and mysql are the two services and the control panel > admin tools > services revealed Apache wasn't in the list - it didn't install.  I couldn't install Apache from the wamp control panel because it was grayed out, but the program properties showed me it was being installed through a batch file in the wamp folder, so I opened them with a text editor and copy/pasted the command lines into the command prompt.  They are both installed and running now.

anshell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by anshell » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:56 pm

Dear Haaris,
I was trying to install Joomla on my WinXp and I'm new at this. I was following your instructions in thread http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/topic,25954.0.html (Mini Tutorial for Noobies) and I got stuck at the step "open a browser window and go to http://localhost/joomla" - this page does not open. Please help me!
Sincerely,
anshell
A.N. Shell Real Estate Group in New York City

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:51 am

Have you checked to make sure apache and mysql are running when you then try to open your site locally?

anshell
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by anshell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:35 am

I stopped IIS and now it works ;D. It took me 5 hours and many forums. Found on WAMP5 forum from Romain.
A.N. Shell Real Estate Group in New York City

Manuel70
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Manuel70 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:23 am

What is IIS?

I've tried JoomlaLite, JSAS, WAMP5, XAMPP and I'm starting to think that something's rotten on my computer.

I can see the W unit, all the folders and the JSAS menu but Joomla & Joomla Admin doesn't start.

I've disabled the firewall and even closed the internet connection.

What can I do?

Thank you,

DrSchubert
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by DrSchubert » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:02 am

Manuel70...IIS is "Internet Information Services" from Microsoft. It is their idea of a personal server. I used to use it years ago before I discovered WAMP5. I am notorious for scrambling computer hard drives (without trying mind you), but WAMP5 installed perfectly the first time. Just wanted to share my opinion with you. DrSchubert
DrSchubert

normdouglas
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by normdouglas » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:53 pm

Being an IT professional, you can imagine my frustration at spending the past 4 days trying to get LAMP and Joomla working on my very first Linux (Ubuntu) Box.  I did this because i just HAD to get Joomla working.

Then I discovered this post...

Went back to my familar environment and had the thing setup and ready for building in about 3 mins.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. :-*
Step1. Read the instructions. Step2. Refer to step 1. Step 3. Backup

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:45 pm

normdouglas wrote: Being an IT professional, you can imagine my frustration at spending the past 4 days trying to get LAMP and Joomla working on my very first Linux (Ubuntu) Box.  I did this because i just HAD to get Joomla working.

Then I discovered this post...

Went back to my familar environment and had the thing setup and ready for building in about 3 mins.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. :-*
You're very much welcome Norm :) I'm just chuffed to bits to see that it's still helping people

Rana
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Rana » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:32 pm

Hello

I would like to thank you for that clear and simple tutorial.
Also, all the messages in this subject was really helpful for me thank you all.

Rana

muse-ic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by muse-ic » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:46 pm

thanks for this - it is very clear and excellent!  :D

another question: (i too am a newbie at all this) after i have effectively built a site on my hard drive, am i able to then put it up online? how do i go about doing this?

thanks

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:22 pm

Hi muse-ic,

In answer to your questions:
am i able to then put it up online?
Yes :)
how do i go about doing this?
Here's my step by step guide:

Preparing your webserver for the migration

1) Install Joomla on your webserver (either by using fantastico or by uploading & extracting the contents of the zip). Remember to use the SAME admin user name and password that you used for your local joomla installation (This can be changed later but is ABSOLUTELY necessary for this to work)

2) Copy all of the files [EXCEPT configuration.php!!!!!] from your local (wamp/www/joomla in this case) joomla folder to your joomla folder on your webserver.

Preparing the database to be migrated

3) Start your wamp and click on the icon in your taskbar.

4) In the wamp5 menu click on phpMyAdmin.

5) In the resulting browser window selct your (local) joomla database from the drop down menu on the left.

6) On the horizontal menu in the main window select "Export".

7) Select "Select All" from the options in the main window under "export" (You will see that all the joomla tables will be highlighted when you do this).

8 ) In the box for "Structure" check the boxes for "Add DROP TABLE" AND "Add IF NOT EXISTS".

9) Click on "Go"

10) Click anywhere in the main window and either right-click "select all" or ctrl+a to selct all and copy the sql output.

11) Open notepad or any other text editor

12) Paste the contents of the clipboard and save this file as localjoomla.sql

Migrating the database

13) In your webserver's phpMyAdmin select the database which our online joomla uses.

14) There are two ways of importing the database from our local joomla, I'll go through both:
  • a) From the horizontal menu in the main window of phpMyAdmin select "SQL". In the resulting text-box right-click and paste the contents of your clipboard (assuming you still have the content in it from the export (step 10) above). Click "Go"
  • b) From the horizontal menu in the main window of phpMyAdmin select "Import". Browse to the sql file we created in step 12 (localjoomla.sql). Click "Go"
14.1) If step 14 fails you may have to update your phpMyAdmin version in wamp. If this is the case just go to www.phpmyadmin.net/ and download the latest version - all you have to do is overwrite the files in wamp/www/phpmyadmin with the files from the newer version

Final Checks

15) You should now have copied all of the files except "configuration.php" from your local joomla install to your webserver (Step 2) AND copied your local joomla db to your webserver.

Go to your site and login
- Voila your website should now be uploaded to your webspace :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muse-ic
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by muse-ic » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:10 pm

absolutely grand - it has worked!

thank you so much!

DianeH
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DianeH » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:34 pm

Hi there.

We are looking into a CMS website at work and have been roadtesting the online demo of Joomla. So far it looks OK, except for a frustrating period today where some other tester was causing havoc with the pages.

Because of this, we have followed the instructions in the first post to try it out locally (if that is what it should enable us to do). Unfortunately, we can't get past step 4.

We downloaded Wamp5 1.6.1 and Joomla 1.0.7 and extracted all the files directly into the Wamp www/joomla folder, having first created the joomla folder. This gave us 24 files in the folder - some of which are other zip files. We then open the page http://localhost/joomla but we get no prompts to do anything further, just a directory list.

All the services in Wamp control panel are installed and running, although when we go one level up in the browser to http://localhost and we get the Wamp details page, under Server Configuration nothing is listed in the MySQL section, whereas under Apache and PHP there are some details on the right hand side of the screen.

Where are we going wrong? We are very new to this technology, although both of us have designed websites using Dreamweaver, but we are determined to crack this.

Thanks.

Diane.
Last edited by DianeH on Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diane

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:07 pm

Diane in the zipped folders in your joomla 1.0.7 download do you have:
Joomla_1.0.7-Stable-Full_Package.zip ?

If so, it's this file that you need to unzip to the joomla folder in wamp/www/joomla

DianeH
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DianeH » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:50 am

Thanks for your reply.

We do indeed. It appears that we downloaded the whole selection of files. Not sure how that happened - I wasn't looking at the time.

I also read further on other threads and discovered that MySQL 5 is not supported by the current versions of Joomla and Mambo, so will this be an issue or do we need to download an earlier version of Wamp?
Last edited by DianeH on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diane

DianeH
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by DianeH » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:06 pm

OK, I thought I would try this on my computer this time (the test yesterday was done by my colleague).

Bottom line is - I followed all the steps and it works. I am now in the admin panel. Now I can play without some numpty messing up the site as I'm testing!!

Thanks for a very informative thread and an excellent site. I will be studying all the other information here and coming back if I get any more 'challenges'. Found some excellent links as well.
Diane

helensburgh
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by helensburgh » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:58 pm

First of all I endorse the thanks above. One of the simplest but very effective tutorials I've seen on the forum.

I had loads of trouble getting joomlalite to run on a laptop with xp. This solution suits me just fine.

1 question though, could I dump all of this onto a cd and have it run on another machine. This was why i wanted joomlalite(I can run it from a memory stick)?

Jim
I'm better pleased to make one more than be the death of twenty: Rabbie Burns 1700s

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:32 pm

Jim,

I believe that WAMP is just as simple. It'll run from a data stick no problem what-so-ever.

Just move all your wamp files onto the data stick or whaterver and remember to change the drive letter path in configuration.php to reflect the drive letter of the data stick and you should be jammin ;)

I just checked and I'm afraid that it doesn't work from a data stick :( bummer!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topflat
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by topflat » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:30 pm

thanks for that - you've done a realy good thing for people here

Jim
How do I set my laser printer to stun?

squeal56
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by squeal56 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:15 pm

Can I substitute JSAS and for WAMP?
The fascination of learning a new tongue means...above all, entering its culture. Because culture is where the dictionary ends and where we find real meaning, crossing over into the life and world of another people. -- C.J. Moore, 2005

Waseem Sadiq
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Waseem Sadiq » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:34 pm

squeal56 wrote: Can I substitute JSAS and for WAMP?
I would assume so squeal56,

I've never actually used JSAS as I discovered WAMP around the same time as I discovered mambo (pre-joomla days) and I've never really used anything else on my winxp machines as WAMP was so easy to configure and work with.

Return to “FAQ Discussion Board”