how to remove this link

Everything to do with Joomla! 1.5 templates and templating.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
bulkhogan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

how to remove this link

Post by bulkhogan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:21 pm

http://www.thegamebreakers.com

when you mouse over [HOME] a sub menu comes up that says database encyclopedia and I can not find where to remove that anywhere.

It is not listed on the admin under the home link like the 2nd one is under baseball.

Please help

Thanks

SFGolfer
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Re: how to remove this link

Post by SFGolfer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:31 pm

"database encyclopedia" is nowhere in your menu system? This is very odd.

Check the other menus to be sure it's not in ANY of the menus.

I can't imagine that these next two would be the culprit but just the same, also check your template files and css files.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

bulkhogan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bulkhogan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:41 pm

Checked all the menus and the css file. cant find it anywhere.

Here is what my menu links look like

SFGolfer
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SFGolfer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:48 pm

When you say you checked all menus, you did check the other menus other than the Main Menu?

Try disabling all the links except for Home and see what happens.

Then make Baseball your default link and then disable the Home link (you have to have a default link; otherwise, your site will result in a 404 error).

Lets just see if we can isolate the issue.

bulkhogan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bulkhogan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:55 pm

done and with home gone it is gone

bulkhogan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bulkhogan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:56 pm

So i should just create a new home link I guess...

SFGolfer
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SFGolfer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:58 pm

That would be my next suggestion.

Was your site/admin area ever in the control of someone else besides you? I'm a little perplexed that a phantom link would appear in your menu system.

Do you have any connection with that linked page (your site is hosted with them)?

bulkhogan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bulkhogan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:04 pm

I think its from the template I downloaded

http://demo15.joomlatp.com/index.php?te ... mza_j15_23

Its in there too....

layman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by layman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:32 am

I just had a similar problem with my themza template too. Home link has a low cost hosting submenu open up that is not in the menu structure and that I couldn't get rid of. I thought it might be a security issue, but whatever it is I couldn't get rid of it, so I deleted and recreated the Home link to Front Page.

Now all my modules (except one) are missing from the Front Page when I open the site or link to it with the Home link. Can someone tell me how to get them back? Thanks

SFGolfer
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SFGolfer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:01 pm

@layman

Look at the one module that is CORRECTLY appearing on the front page. See where it is set in the menu assignment and duplicate that across to your other modules.

It sounds like a simple matter of resetting your modules to correctly appear where they are supposed to appear.

kenmcd
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

ThemZa templates hidden links

Post by kenmcd » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:01 pm

The dirtbags at ThemaZa have hidden that link inside a GIF file using a technique originated by malicious hackers.

On line 28 of the template index.php file you will find:
<?php if((!$this->countModules('right') and JRequest::getCmd('layout') == 'form') or !@include(JPATH_BASE.DS.'templates'.DS.$mainframe->getTemplate().DS.str_rot13('vzntrf').DS.str_rot13($JPan[0].'.t'.'vs'))) : ?>

The include with the str_rot13 and all the '.' are used to obscure the link to the menu_col.gif file in the template /images/ folder.
This GIF actually includes PHP code inside it which creates the hidden link you are trying to get rid of.
Open that GIF file with a text editor and you will see the PHP code inside.

This technique was originated by hackers to include their malicious code on a target website,
and now it is used by the sleezeballs at ThemZa to hide links in their templates.

Looks like there may be some other dirty tricks in that template so beware.
Either dump this infected template or go through it very carefully and clean it out.
Not a good idea to use their templates.
Last edited by ooffick on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Note: This is not the place to settle a disagreement with a developer. Removed wall of shame comment.
██ LibreTraining

SFGolfer
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SFGolfer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:11 pm

@kenmcd

Thanks for the heads up. And for those of you who go in search of free templates ... beware ... demons do lurk about.

layman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by layman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Thanks for the info! Can that line or the GIF be commented out or deleted without causing a problem (and how do I comment out a line)?

I'd rather not have to redo the website.

SFGolfer
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SFGolfer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:00 pm

@layman,

According to kenmcd's post, you should not trust the template you are using or any template from that website.

But if you insist on keeping the template then you need to analyze every line in every file (including the images) for suspect code. Otherwise, you put yourself and your visitors at risk by knowingly using a suspect template.

As kenmcd states, there may be other things suspect about the template besides the one line and gif that he pointed out.

But considering you are new to PHP, it will be difficult for you to recognize what code is legit and which is suspect. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you trash the template and start over using a reputable template provider.

To answer your question, commenting out a line in php is achieved by putting a double forward slash '//' in front of the code:

Code: Select all

<?php 

//comment that will not be seen by the public 

?>

layman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by layman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:26 pm

That's a bummer that their templates are that suspect. Is it common knowledge that they have a bad rep? For now I redid the Home link and the gif reference doesn't seem to be in the index.php file.

Thanks for the information.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:26 pm

if you also also notice i the footer on nearly every one of their templates is another template encoded link to their hosting network or some other linkbuilder excercise
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

SFGolfer
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by SFGolfer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:09 pm

I downloaded a few of the templates from themeza.com and the suspect code and gif image resides in all of them (at least the ones I downloaded).

How's this for a chuckle. Their Terms of Use page states (point #1):
...the Template User agrees to preserve the links to the Company`s websites, which are a part of the template itself.
Yeah, I'll agree their links are "part of the template".

kaavs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kaavs » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:24 am

kenmcd,
:eek:
You are correct! There's coding in the gif....wow, i could've not imagined to have found that one!

Cheers,
Kaavs

nikko500
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by nikko500 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks for the answer!
I have been trying to find the suspect code for a couple of hours now and you are right, it's the menu_col.gif that has the code :eek:
I have used a couple of their templates, I will be going through them very carefully now for this very underhand practice!
Thanks!

wdicks
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by wdicks » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:38 am

I have been in contact with ThemZa. If you want any of their templates without the backlinks, you will have to pay and they will send you a download link for a clean template. In other words, their templates are not free!

nikko500
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by nikko500 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:56 am

I still would not trust them and will not be using their products now!

88guy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 88guy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:27 am

I don't know if I'd trust anything from these people - however, the simple fix is to simply delete the menu_col.gif file. This will throw an error (in the template I'm using - and probably should stop using - it was at line 153 of the pagination.php file in the HTML folder). I simply commented out that call (line #153, by putting // in front of the code) and it worked fine. On the other hand, who knows what the hell else is in the thing...

charco
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by charco » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:55 pm

Well, well, well, I have been searching for info about Themza and it brought me to this thread. I have just downloaded the new 'Corporate' theme and surprise suprise it is full of spammy links.

There is a massive amount of publicity pro-Themza on the web. I suspect much of it produced by Themza. It seems to me that the Themza operation is bulk hijacking of web sites and hoping that they get used for comporate sites introducing a back door vulnerabiity. Contact details for Themza seem limited to a email address.

This seems pretty damn dodgy to me. I certainly will not be using their Templates again.

I couldn't even delete the theme using the templates manager so had to do so using FTP. It has left me with a front page containing one line of advertising, which I don't want and can't get rid of. My original front page has disappeared.

I dont actually know what to do although I see that in a previous post I could follow where this link is coming from and try to reset my homepage to this address or something. I'm off to fins out now. If I can't it's a complete rebuild starting from scratch.

If something seems to good to be true that's usually because it is.

88guy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by 88guy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:19 pm

They're a very insidious outfit and I ended up just getting rid of the site to which I referred (I run my own server, the site was new - it was not a big issue....simply trashed the thing and started over). As I've stated, who knows what sorts of code is actually written into those "themes"? Anything could happen.

Avoid these things like the plague.

charco
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by charco » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:45 pm

Rebuilt by flushing the database, reinstalling the installation folder and initial config files.

[removed]
Last edited by ooffick on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Note: This is not the place to settle a disagreement with a developer. Removed wall of shame comment.

iwankumara
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: ThemZa templates hidden links

Post by iwankumara » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:46 am

kenmcd wrote:.
The dirtbags at ThemaZa have hidden that link inside a GIF file using a technique originated by malicious hackers.

On line 28 of the template index.php file you will find:
<?php if((!$this->countModules('right') and JRequest::getCmd('layout') == 'form') or !@include(JPATH_BASE.DS.'templates'.DS.$mainframe->getTemplate().DS.str_rot13('vzntrf').DS.str_rot13($JPan[0].'.t'.'vs'))) : ?>

The include with the str_rot13 and all the '.' are used to obscure the link to the menu_col.gif file in the template /images/ folder.
This GIF actually includes PHP code inside it which creates the hidden link you are trying to get rid of.
Open that GIF file with a text editor and you will see the PHP code inside.

This technique was originated by hackers to include their malicious code on a target website,
and now it is used by the sleezeballs at ThemZa to hide links in their templates.

Looks like there may be some other dirty tricks in that template so beware.
Either dump this infected template or go through it very carefully and clean it out.
Not a good idea to use their templates.

Dear HERO

You are truly my HERO. I have been frustrated in removing this bloody footer for 8 days. So I deleted the menu_col.gif ( it is not an image indeed) and the themza footer dissappear.
YES...yes..yes...

Thank You so much
Last edited by Leftfield on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Manual signature is not allowed in post. See your profile for signature.

Courts
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Courts » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:26 pm

I had the same problem with the menu and thanks to you guys managed to get rid of the drop down menu.

Jinda
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Jinda » Thu May 27, 2010 10:23 am

When I opened the template images folder, I tried to view the menu_col.gif and indeed it is not an image! I deleted and the footer is now gone. THANK YOU!!!

pitchick
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pitchick » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:04 pm

ok folks the submenu can be gotten rid of in the functions.php file - comment out as shown in screenshot attached.

and then just delete the gif. as far as I can tell this removes the entire problem. of course people who are providing such pretty FREE templates are going to want to try to make their advertisements stick. I don't think they are really necessarily that "malicious".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sveta555
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Sveta555 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:14 am

Many thanks from Russia! I myself would not think. Thanks!

Return to “Templates for Joomla! 1.5”