textarea tag in JCE

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
rchapman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

textarea tag in JCE

Post by rchapman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:18 pm

When I have textareas in the editor, when I edit the same article afterwards, JCE cuts off everything after the first end-textarea.

Other than remaking all my textareas into some other tag... is there some easy option to tell the JCE editor not to... notice other end-textarea tags?

~ross

confudler
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: textarea tag in JCE

Post by confudler » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:58 pm

I'm having the same problem. It appears you cannot nest <textarea> so the browser and the editor window at the first </textarea> it encounters - the one in your content.

The strange bit is that this only occurs (for me) when editing from the frontend. So, there must be fix but it probably involves the core code.

In the meantime, I'm looking for alternatives.

rchapman
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by rchapman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:01 pm

I have two alternatives. One which I'm using less and less is 'iframes'. Not to be hard on iframes, but using them messes with your template feel in joomla and adds unnecessary arrows and slider bars. But it is a solution to have your form in an iframe window.

Alternate to this is my current solution, which is Jumi, a plug-in for joomla which allows you embed php code into your articles. I therefore embed a php file which is the form itself.

The issue with both of these is not being to edit your forms in the joomla editor window. Luckilly, I'm the only user who needs to do this, or we have such a small staff they can ask me to make changes.

This might help, or there's a real answer out there somewhere. I scoured for a week, then went with embedded forms.

~ross

grympel
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by grympel » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:08 am

After a few hours of comparing frontend and backend code I believe I've found the solution!

In the backend I found this line:
JFilterOutput::objectHTMLSafe( $row );
It prepares the content for use in forms, converting html markup into >

To add this to the frontend editor simply add this to the 3rd line of form.php:
JFilterOutput::objectHTMLSafe( $this->article );

form.php can be found here:
/components/com_content/views/article/tmpl/form.php

Best would be to copy this file to:
/templates/YOUR TEMPLATE/html/com_content/article/form.php
so you don't edit the core file.

Hope this helps :)

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”