How can I use Joomla's Authentication syst to build my appls

General questions relating to Joomla! 1.5 There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
ozzy1000
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

How can I use Joomla's Authentication syst to build my appls

Post by ozzy1000 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:06 pm

I am trying to write my own authentication system or use a free PHP Login System with Admin Features like the one here. http://evolt.org/node/60384 .

An idea popped up my head...about using Joomla's Authentication system to build my own custom applications. I don't want to wrap my application around Joomla but rather just use joomla as my authentication system and take advantage of the different user levels it has. I must also tell you that I am already using Joomla for my site.

For example, I want users to login using Jooma and submit data through some Data Submission Form that stores data in MySQL. I don't know exactly how this will work but I am assuming that I will have to be able to grab the user's information in some form so that the newly submitted data will be associated with a particular user.

Has anyone done something like this? The only thing I found so far is this article "How to create a stand-alone application using the Joomla! Framework" http://docs.joomla.org/How_to_create_a_ ... _Framework
But this doesn't really tell me much.

Please help. I hope that someone is already done something like this.

Oz

dbzeroone
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: How can I use Joomla's Authentication syst to build my appls

Post by dbzeroone » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:04 am

Joomla can handle this easily. There are many extensions that allow you to create custom forms and have the data write to the database. Fabrik comes to mind first. Check out all of them here:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... back/forms

ozzy1000
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ozzy1000 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:07 pm

dbzeroone, Yes, this is great.

I installed it in a few minutes. Was able to create the pre-configured contacts form, this is great.
However, here is my question. Doe is allow you to create complicated types of form? Eg. http://www.americancorporateservices.co ... /27000.jpg

I am trying to write a program similar to Electronic Medical Records software.
Here is a real scenario. There 3 hospitals, lets call it Hosp_A, Hosp_B, and Hosp_C. They are located in different parts of the USA.

Now, Hosp_A logins into joomla and submits patient data through the Fabrik Form for five patients, patient1, patient2,...Patient5.

Hosp_B does the same. And so Hosp_C.

The question is, how will the data be associated with each Hostpital(A,BandC)?
I am not even sure if Fabrik Form can handle it.

That's why I originally thought that I could just use Joomla's authentication system to authenticate users through jooma and somehow merge the two together.

I wish they had a Joomla EMR Component

Thanks for reading and for any input you can give.

Oz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dbzeroone
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dbzeroone » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:28 pm

Hopefully I'm not oversimplifying this in my head...

You could make a dropdown that would allow the user to select which hospital they're with OR...

You could put identical forms on 3 different pages. Hospital-A logs in and can only see the form on page A. Hospital-B logs in and only sees the form on page B, etc. As far as they know, there's only one form, but based on their login, they get directed to their specific version of the form.

The forms could have a hidden field that would write to the database on submission. Hospital-A, Hospital-B, or Hospital-C. That way the user doesn't know of the other hospitals because they're not asked to choose which one they're reporting from. The form would automatically send along the hospital ID behind the scenes.

Your database could then be easily sorted based on A, B or C.

Oh, and yes. Fabrik can make very complex forms like the example you showed. You will likely have to do some custom coding to get the layout exactly how you want it, but that'll be easy stuff (Tables, CSS, etc)

ozzy1000
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ozzy1000 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:54 am

To discover I guess I will have to play around a bit more with this module. Maybe your approach does work, its worth giving a try. My only concern is that we'll be handling lots of hospitals...and creating creating separate form for each might be the way to go. But I will check it out.

you said that it allows you to create complicated 'very complicated forms'. I might be missing some additional plugins b/c I could not figure out how to make complex forms.
I installed the Fabrik 2.0. Do i need to install any additional plugin? Where is the documentation?

thanks for your help.

Oz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pollen8
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by pollen8 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:23 pm

id go with having a fabrik table that records the hospitals and then a database join element in your patient form that links into the hospitals table.
There are some free tutorials on the fabrikar.com site - otherwise the documentation (along with a load of other stuff) is available to subscribers
aka

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 1.5”