Should Joomla! have an option to install its own web server

Relax and enjoy The Lounge. For all Non-Joomla! topics or ones that don't fit anywhere else. Normal forum rules apply.
Bjorg
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Should Joomla! have an option to install its own web server

Post by Bjorg » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:07 am

Setting up a web server can be a daunting task.

Would it make sense to include something that is truly needed in order to run your favorite CMS?

Would it not save a lot of time, to have a web server option with Joomla! that included a free DNS
to those with dynamic IP’s?

All thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Should Joomla! have an option to install its own web server

Post by dizzi » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:17 am

I think your first sentence says it all :). The Joomla! developers are busy enough with the CMS to devote any time to such a demanding undertaking. The myriad of possible server configurations means that there can not really be no "one-size-fits-all" solution. Admittedly a broad setup can be a useful starting point for users to customize to fit their own purposes. However I just think that some aspects of website development/administration should be left to users. The benefit is that, encourages research, skills acquisition and an appreciation for vital aspects of site administration such as security.
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:07 pm

i am just wondering if you are on about something like the jumpbox application http://demo.joomla.org/jumpbox.html
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

Bjorg
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Bjorg » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Jumpbox, although interesting, would not be the concept of the topic, as intended.

Wouldn’t a CMS option, to make a local installation of Joomla!, on a persons personal computer
with a general server setup (without all the bells and whistles), and a provided DNS that is free
of charge, bring about more new user’s to the actual Joomla! arena?

Simply stating that sooner or later, a number of CMS’s will provide their own generic server
as an option (if not standard), why could not Joomla! be the first, as the leading open source CMS?

dizzi
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by dizzi » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:02 pm

I may be wrong but I don't think that most users who deploy CMSs are keen on setting up their own servers. The majority will happily shell out a monthly fee on a shared hosting solution allowing their hosting providers to deal with server headaches. It may not be the ideal option but there are advantages.

Those who require more power or control may opt for a VPS or dedicated solution. As I see it and again I may be wrong, users (a.k.a geeks) who are able to set up and configure a server will probably avoid a generic offering from a CMS.
Freedom of expression ... some may try to suppress it but they can never take it away ...
There is no problem a good miracle can't fix.

Bjorg
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Bjorg » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:29 pm

Correct, this is the exact reason for the topic.

From a beginners standpoint, if the tools were readily available to deploy a Joomla! site
it would greatly enhance the user experience, eventually leading to a web host, should the traffic increase...

Consider this a stepping stone thru the inevitable process, to a normalized Joomla! setup
allowing a better understanding of those steps justifying the additional costs associated with web hosting.

Could only see a problem with domain name registration...

Return to “The Lounge”