"Please input a file for upload" - Error uploading images.

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
petethevolcano
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

"Please input a file for upload" - Error uploading images.

Post by petethevolcano » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:51 am

After installing the "Content Attachments" plugin we were unable to upload any image using the Article Manager or Media Manager. The error we get is: "please input a file for upload".

Here all the plugins that we have installed (in order of installation):

1. "JoomlaPack"
2. "EventList"
3. "Simplest Forum"
4. "Very Simple Image Gallery"
5. "Content Attachments"

Additional facts that might make a difference:
TinyMCE 2.0 editor is enabled. XStandard Lite 2.0 was also enabled, but is now disabled.

CustomTB
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: "Please input a file for upload" - Error uploading images.

Post by CustomTB » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:51 pm

OK... Not sure if this will help but I was having a similar problem and stumbled upon the answer that I haven't seen mentioned anywher. Maybe this will help your or someone else.

I Did a fresh install... everything worked... added a few things.. made some changes... uploads didn't work and I got joomla error "Please input a file for upload".

Looked around everyone said turn this off, turn that off, etc. Nothing Worked.

I finally pieced it together with virtuemart. I couldn't upload there and I had to change my site from xxx.com to www.xxx.com

It was because I had done a rewrite so that pages were always www. The site had to match.

But just changing to www.xxx.com didn't work for joomla, only virtuemart.

For Joomla I had to take off my rewrite script thus allowing xxx.com or www.xxx.com. Then everything seems to be working (even ajax)

So, long way of saying check you didn't make any "illegal" redirects or rewrites.

I Just figure this out so I'll have to explore other options for rewrite and can't help there.

The one I used was:

RewriteEngine on
rewritecond %{http_host} ^nullifly.com [nc]
rewriterule ^(.*)$ http://www.nullifly.com/$1 [r=301,nc]

Anyone have a better suggestion?

petethevolcano
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by petethevolcano » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Cool - thanks for the reply.
I solved the problem by changing the site address in my configuration file. In our case we had changed our domain name and not updated the config file.
:)

JordiGuilleumes
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JordiGuilleumes » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:36 pm

I just solved this annoying problem a little bit easily. Simply editing the configuration.php file and filling the empty parameter $live_site with the complete path where my CMS is installed, e.g.:

var $live_site = 'http://www4.mysite.edu/myaccount/joomla_15/';

I don't know why this parameter does not appear in the "Global Configuration" screens of the Joomla site backend. So it must be changed manually.

JComeskey
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JComeskey » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks Jordi! That is what I needed!

I had added a rewrite rule to the .htaccess file for a site hosted at godaddy (because they seem to consistently screw up the www.domain.com versus domain.com issue). But I forgot to update the live_site variable with the www.

So as a result, the media manager was not working correctly. This fixed it.
RESIST Theocratic Police-State Feudalism!!

sheiksumon
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sheiksumon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:17 am

Same problem face me then i check my configuration file root path then problem solve.
Salekuddin Sheikh Sumon
Joomla Developer

yop
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by yop » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:14 am

JordiGuilleumes wrote:I just solved this annoying problem a little bit easily. Simply editing the configuration.php file and filling the empty parameter $live_site with the complete path where my CMS is installed, e.g.:

var $live_site = 'http://www4.mysite.edu/myaccount/joomla_15/';

I don't know why this parameter does not appear in the "Global Configuration" screens of the Joomla site backend. So it must be changed manually.
thanks to you, this is really help... i thought it's because the server php version problem or anything like that, but it's work well after i edit configuration.php and type the right live site, especially it's because i already edit my htaccess to my site so that everything will go to www.domainname.com
Please read forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

logicom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by logicom » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:02 am

I have the same error, and did what Jordi suggested but still get error 'please input a file for upload' when trying to upload MP3 through media manager.

Any other suggestions?

thanks,

JComeskey
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JComeskey » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:29 am

Did you set mp3 as an approved file type in the global configuration?

logicom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by logicom » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Yes, as well as: Flash Upload enabled, then disabled. Also tried various file permissions for the Images and Stories folders - 777, 755 and 775 - but it still doesn't work. In the Global Config, I tried both FTP Enabled and Disabled. Global Config - System -Media setting has MP3 and mp3 as a legal extension.

Seems to work fine on files of 15 mb but not on 90 mb, and yes global config has max file size to allow the 090mb.

thanks,

JComeskey
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JComeskey » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:05 pm

logicom wrote:Seems to work fine on files of 15 mb but not on 90 mb, and yes global config has max file size to allow the 090mb.
Oh, well you left out a big part of the story here!!

You are probably running into PHP upload limits (set outside of Joomla). You will probably need to FTP files that big directly onto the server.

logicom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by logicom » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:14 pm

That's most likely the problem. I am new at all this. What is the step by step process to FTP the files? I have Filezilla and use cpanel.

thanks,

JComeskey
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JComeskey » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:53 am

logicom wrote:That's most likely the problem. I am new at all this. What is the step by step process to FTP the files? I have Filezilla and use cpanel.

thanks,
1. Use your hosting cpanel to set up an FTP account for your site hosting account.
2. Enter your FTP path, username, and password (from step #1) into Filezilla to make a connection between your local machine and the server.
3. Drag and drop files from your local machine into the desired folder on the server.
4. Go grab a snack and watch Duke vs WV, because 90MB is gonna take awhile to transfer...

logicom
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by logicom » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:42 pm

After connection in Filezilla to the server, the remote site directory has no files to select/search, just / , nothing in the drop down either. It says empty directory. What did I do wrong?

thanks,

JComeskey
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JComeskey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:43 pm

logicom wrote:After connection in Filezilla to the server, the remote site directory has no files to select/search, just / , nothing in the drop down either. It says empty directory. What did I do wrong?
Not really sure. My guess would be that when you created the FTP connection, you have the ability to specify a particular directory. Any chance that you connected to an empty directory?

Is your Joomla installed in the root directory? Is your FTP connection pointed to the root?

masood786
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: "Please input a file for upload" - Error uploading ima

Post by masood786 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:57 am

Check post_max_size value in php.ini file.

liamhanks
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by liamhanks » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Just wanted to share this as it may help others. I was also getting the error "Please input a file for upload". After playing around with things a little bit, I discovered that removing my site's URL from the $live_site parameter actually got it working; as opposed to the suggestions here which are to put your site's URL into this parameter. It seems to be a combination of what is set in configuration.php, and your .htaccess that allow the media manager upload function to work or not.

Cheers

deKuyper
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deKuyper » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Hello, I have the same "Please input a file for upload" error. After I fixed the live_site name in configuration.php, I managed to upload one image and then got the same error again. What else can I try? I do not quite understand what in .htaccess file can be modified as well?

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”