Project Name Chosen- Discussion

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
kabam
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Project Name Chosen- Discussion

Post by kabam » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:59 pm

I also agree that an hour may be a bit tight for some people.  Also, some will be asleep and other will be dodging the boss to get their registrar  ;).  In the end, the Dev team is doing what they feel they need to based on legal advice and we'll need to live with it.  I just hope that noone registers any of my "non-public" (read - had an idea, registered the name, haven't gotten to the idea yet) domain names  ;D.
Michael - Vice President / Lead Developer
KABAM.net - Making Websites Work!
Author of Bookmark Us, The Flash Mod, and more.

PhilTaylor-Prazgod
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by PhilTaylor-Prazgod » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:03 pm

I think the main problem will be overlap.

In practice, if I register domain.com now and pay, that domain is not actually mine until the whole technical process is complete.  If you in 2 mins after me submit your request/sale through another registrar for the same domain name (depending on the method used to search the registry of domain names - whois) you could see the domain as still available and you could pay for it.

Then its a race to see which registrars technical implentation is quickest at hitting the central database and then the whois.

and this can cause legal issues too - I know I went through the legal issues to secure phil-taylor.co.uk from some one who had hijacked it.

So I dont think one hour is a long time - but its still better than nothing.
Phil Taylor
- https://mySites.guru - Manage Multiple Joomla/WordPress Sites In One Dashboard for Security, Audits, Backups and more....
- https://www.phil-taylor.com/

mamboart
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mamboart » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:14 pm

You are right Phil still better than nothing. In the end, it is also a bit about trust as written by some people here.
I think noone want to be published here as the one who stole the domain from another opensource member.

The reputation would be gone!
Arent we all a little joomla?

rjs

Post by rjs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:18 pm

brad wrote:
Matthew Schultz wrote: How about instead of telling them what the new name is so they can grab it just let mambo domain holders purchase the domain with the new name through opensourcematters? 10 bucks a pop or whatever, this way you can keep it secret and there's no 1 hour time factor.
We seriously considered doing this, however the time involved and the potential for mistakes/failures leading to legal ramifications (perhaps), mean't that our legal team advised us to go the way we did. We can only do our best :)
I  can buy pretty much anything. But legal ramifications? No offense brad  but some of what you write is down right meaningless. That's twice now. I gave you the benefit of the doubt in another thread.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:25 pm

Ok how about this.. you pay us to register a name.. we can't (for whatever reason). You decide to take action.

Does that make sense?

tonyskyday
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by tonyskyday » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:29 pm

Guys, the hour is a head start as a courtesy to community members who have built their own brands around the Mambo name. If you "miss" the deadline, you may still be able to register your name. Or, maybe since you are having to change domains anyway, maybe now is a good time to un-link your site name from the CMS project, to protect against future changes? (Of course, this won't be practical for all sites, but it may be an option for those who can't get registered in time.)

PhilTaylor-Prazgod
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by PhilTaylor-Prazgod » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:31 pm

rjs wrote:
brad wrote:
Matthew Schultz wrote: How about instead of telling them what the new name is so they can grab it just let mambo domain holders purchase the domain with the new name through opensourcematters? 10 bucks a pop or whatever, this way you can keep it secret and there's no 1 hour time factor.
We seriously considered doing this, however the time involved and the potential for mistakes/failures leading to legal ramifications (perhaps), mean't that our legal team advised us to go the way we did. We can only do our best :)
I  can buy pretty much anything. But legal ramifications? No offense brad  but some of what you write is down right meaningless. That's twice now. I gave you the benefit of the doubt in another thread.
I see absolutely no legal reasons why OSM need to give any pre-notice at all - so what if a domain gets registered by the wrong person, its not against the law and there is no case law that i remember saying I cant register newname-portal.com

I think the core team are giving mambo* domain holders a good heads up - but I doubt its for legal reasons!!

Too many people talk about the legal things - like Miro, how much did they spent on "Legal" things, and what "Legal things" did they buy, and how much ---- Too many people just sprout out that word without thought.
Last edited by PhilTaylor-Prazgod on Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Taylor
- https://mySites.guru - Manage Multiple Joomla/WordPress Sites In One Dashboard for Security, Audits, Backups and more....

rjs

Post by rjs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:33 pm

Brad,

No. It doesn't. I only made mention that Mambo has been around for many years and we need to take a look at the global situation. I believe we need look at the fact that Mambo and the many domains might need more time. How much? I don't know. I can register a few domains with one arm in a few minutes. I believe that many haven't had the opportunity to find out even what's going on let alone  re-register domains. It's more a question than anything.

How do you say... Hey everyone in the community.. We are making decisions here and I hope all of you canl hear this and have this  done by this time? Or respond by this time?

I'm just concerned about those who haven't had the opportunity to catch up to all of this. That's all.
Last edited by rjs on Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhuk
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by rhuk » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:34 pm

I see absolutely no legal reasons why OSM need to give any pre-notice at all - so what if a domain gets registered by the wrong person, its not against the law and there is no case law that i remember saying I cant register newname-portal.com
I think he was referring to the core team buying all the domains on behalf of others, not of the notification process.
rhuk
http://www.rockettheme.com - RocketTheme Template Club
http://www.rockettheme.com/aff - RocketTheme Affiliate Program

PhilTaylor-Prazgod
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by PhilTaylor-Prazgod » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:35 pm

rhuk wrote:
I think he was referring to the core team buying all the domains on behalf of others, not of the notification process.

Yeah I now understand that now I have re-read - Doh!
Phil Taylor

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:36 pm

Sorry guys... I will try to be clearer next time...

Just because it was clear to me.. :)

rjs

Post by rjs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:39 pm

It's not like this isn't going to have road bumps. Maybe even road rash. It's not easy.

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brad » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:40 pm

rjs wrote: It's not like this isn't going to have road bumps. Maybe even road rash. It's not easy.
I've got all of that.. and a head-ache... :D

rjs

Post by rjs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:42 pm

*rjs hands Brad a beer.

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:03 pm

The way I see it is that the hour's head start is for someone who owns, for example, abcmambo.com to be able to register abcnewname.com and the spirit of open source should prevail and the abcmambo owner shouldn't (we hope) be trying to cash and attepmt to register 101 possible newname domains.

I expect mambohut to register newnamehut and mambosolutions to register newnamesolutions and so on.

vavroom

Post by vavroom » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:07 pm

rjs wrote: *rjs hands Brad a beer.
rjs, try typing "/me action" :)
[me=vavroom]shows rjs how it's done ;)[/me]

Re the one hour thingey.  I'm lucky enough not to have a mambo dependant domain, so that's not an issue for me, but... I do think that one hour is a very short window.  While it doesn't take long to register one, ot ten domains, you still have to be available, near a connected computer during that window.  There will be some that genuinely cannot take the 5 minutes necessary to do that during that timeframe.  Medical appointments, on the road for business, tricky boss, etc.  But as grutkowski points out, when there's a will, there's a way, and he made a very generous offer :)

As for what is, or isn't, a legal issue, considering that the Team has been advised by actual attorneys, I think they have a good handle on that.  We may not "see" it, or agree with it, but it usualy is a good idea to follow the advice of the guys you've hired to give you advice.  IM(NS)HO...

That said...  I just *so* can't wait to know the new name...  ::)

cdkaminsky
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cdkaminsky » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:09 pm

mamboart wrote: You are right Phil still better than nothing. In the end, it is also a bit about trust as written by some people here.
I think noone want to be published here as the one who stole the domain from another opensource member.

The reputation would be gone!

very true.....if a person hijacks http://www.newnamehut.com (just using this a reference)  I personally would not use the site or do business there.....and I am sure that would be a community wide thing...someone would lose alot more getting the name (and being outed as a url hijacker) then if they just had registered something unique/new

Brett
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Brett » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:09 pm

I think the admins should contact the major mambo domain holders perhaps 2 hours before the release to all of the other mambo domain holders and then release it to the public.

EDIT: They could even send an email to the major domain holders, then the domain holders would have to send an email back to them from that domain, once the core team recieves the email and verified that the email was from whoever thay can send them the nnew project name..
Last edited by Brett on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Brett

Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom. But sharing data is the first step toward community.

PhilTaylor-Prazgod
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by PhilTaylor-Prazgod » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:23 pm

Brett wrote: I think the admins should contact the major mambo domain holders perhaps 2 hours before the release to all of the other mambo domain holders and then release it to the public.

EDIT: They could even send an email to the major domain holders, then the domain holders would have to send an email back to them from that domain, once the core team recieves the email and verified that the email was from whoever thay can send them the nnew project name..
I dont think they want to do that because they want to keep the name a secret
Phil Taylor

Brett
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Brett » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:29 pm

PhilTaylor-Prazgod wrote:
Brett wrote: I think the admins should contact the major mambo domain holders perhaps 2 hours before the release to all of the other mambo domain holders and then release it to the public.

I dont think they want to do that because they want to keep the name a secret
Sure, but I am only talking about the most major ones.  I am sure that arthur from mamboportal.com won't tell.  Just people like that.
-Brett

Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom. But sharing data is the first step toward community.

rjs

Post by rjs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:30 pm

Thanks Vavroom... That red glared like the dickens at me...  ;D

d3vlabs
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by d3vlabs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:33 pm

i love it how there are so many posts and everyone is beating around the bush with the domain questions :-\

where are the

"does it rhyme with $ambo?"
"are there any copyrights associated with it?"
"is it Tango?
questions

the only domain I would be worried about is $amboportal.com since I'm not even sure if Konze got the news about OSM or $ambo Foundation for that matter.
Last edited by d3vlabs on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vavroom

Post by vavroom » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:34 pm

Ughhh d3vlabs, don't you go starting that!!!  we've had enough in the couple, err, dozens of name threads!!!  ;D

rjs

Post by rjs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:35 pm

d3vlabs wrote: i love it how there is so many posts and everyone is beating around the bush with the domain questions :-\

where are the

"does it rhyme with $ambo?"
"are there any copyrights associated with it?"
"is it Tango?
questions
Howdy Pardner, unfortunately that is the wrong thread for this. This here thread is for arguing with each other.

No. This thread is for discussing the newly given date for those whom have a domain factored on the mambo trade.

d3vlabs
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by d3vlabs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:41 pm

Ughhh d3vlabs, don't you go starting that!!!  we've had enough in the couple, err, dozens of name threads!!!
but this is the fun part. This is where most can bug developers for some leakage
Can we have one letter please  ;D
Howdy Pardner, unfortunately that is the wrong thread for this. This here thread is for arguing with each other.
rjs is the real Lone Mamber!

On the serious note, this is not a such large issue. as long newname.com itself is registered, the previous owners of the site can always come up with a new name for their business. They will have to re-brand anyways with the name change and logos to reflect the name change. I'm susprised the CORE team is actually doing something to help these owners, since they are under no obligation or responsibility whatsoever. However this goes really well with the spirit of a truly Open Source Community after all. I'm pretty sure the $ambo____.com owners are really thankful for this regarding some whining that I see in this thread.
Last edited by d3vlabs on Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjs

Post by rjs » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:47 pm

d3vlabs wrote:
Ughhh d3vlabs, don't you go starting that!!!  we've had enough in the couple, err, dozens of name threads!!!
but this is the fun part. This is where most can bug developers for some leakage
I somehow knew this would happen my new fangled friends. Well there ya have it all ya varmits.  ;D
Last edited by rjs on Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

lonemamber
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by lonemamber » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:12 am

d3vlabs wrote:
Now, it aint like I go about implyin' you pilgrims is fictional characters now is it? ;)

Quite likely tho anyone layin' out an affected cowboy lingo could be the lone mamber, I aint denyin' that, hey even I could be the lone mamber!

Back onto the topic at hand here, good news that a name has been decided on. These times remind me of the stories told about the pioneerin' days back when pilgrims had to make a mad rush to stake their claim on the land they felt a hankerin' to make their home...

I sure hope ya'll can show some of that gallantry and respect for each other we've seen lately when the new name is proclaimed, and no-one aint hurt none in the stampede. I know, some people might think there's gold in them thar hills, but only true gold to be found out there is in the strength of this here community.

Aww, this ol' cowboy is just a softy...

Anyways, likewise I aint expectin' it to be Lone Star CMS as that jomaco1 character suggested, tho that there be a mighty fine name for an establishment. I can only hope either the name'll sound ok as "Lone *name*ber" or else the term "mamber" can go down in the fat book o' words as slang for a member of this community, Mambo or no ;)

There, that's my say on the matter, and I'll endeavour to be makin' full coverage of this eventuatin' circumstance as long as I aint catchin' some shut eye at the time.

Thankye kindly,

The Lone Mamber
http://www.lonemamber.com -The Lone Mamber

rjs

Post by rjs » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:21 am

Well heya pardner, that tookya one mean time gettin around these here parts to set the ole record straight that this here cowboy ain't that there gosh dern lone mamber. Reckin ya were a watchin us roamin these here prarires lookin for any a those there miro varmits.

Nice to see ya. Keep up the good work.

vavroom

Post by vavroom » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:26 am

[me=vavroom]'s head looks back and forth between rjs and lonemamber and gets a severe headache...[/me]

Guys, cut it out!!!! :)

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:41 am

d3vlabs wrote: the only domain I would be worried about is $amboportal.com since I'm not even sure if Konze got the news about OSM or $ambo Foundation for that matter.
This is definitely MFP so far on this forum  ;D :D ;D

(sorry Vavroom:: I could not let this one go ;).........)

Leo

My Favorite Post
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

Return to “Announcements Discussions”