I can't install modules/components/templates. Please Help!

Joomla version 1.0 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
bradt924
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

I can't install modules/components/templates. Please Help!

Post by bradt924 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:07 am

I am unable to install any modules, components, or templates. It keeps having the error that it can't make the directory. I tried uploading a template manually and it still won't work.

I have been looking through the forums and it seems like I have to set all of my files and folders to 777 temporarily. I tried this and nothing is working still.

on joomla, when I go to system/system info/permissions most of the things are unwritable. How can I make them writable because I think that's the problem? Is this a problem with my host?

bradt924
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: I can't install modules/components/templates. Please Help!

Post by bradt924 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:19 am

Are there any files where I need to edit the text?

Also, would upgrading to joomla 1.5 fix this problem?

Bikerdave
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Bikerdave » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:19 pm

bradt924 wrote:I am unable to install any modules, components, or templates. It keeps having the error that it can't make the directory. I tried uploading a template manually and it still won't work.

I have been looking through the forums and it seems like I have to set all of my files and folders to 777 temporarily. I tried this and nothing is working still.

on joomla, when I go to system/system info/permissions most of the things are unwriteable. How can I make them writeable because I think that's the problem? Is this a problem with my host?
If they are showing as unwriteable then you have not changed the permissions so you wont be able to install as you say. How are you changing permissions?

Using 1.5 wont sole the problem of changing file permissions.
http://www.moorweb.co.uk

Rules Stifle Creativity

bradt924
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bradt924 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:05 am

problem has been solved. I down graded the the release from like 600 or so days ago and now it works.

esa_pg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by esa_pg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:47 am

I'm sorry I'm a newbie..Here, I can see words tell me "Change your file permission", can I know where n how to change file permission? Because 've found on my installation check, my files is unwriteable *I'm sorry if I post in a wrong place". Thnx before.

Bikerdave
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Bikerdave » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:36 am

esa_pg wrote:I'm sorry I'm a newbie..Here, I can see words tell me "Change your file permission", can I know where n how to change file permission? Because 've found on my installation check, my files is unwriteable *I'm sorry if I post in a wrong place". Thnx before.
I use Filezilla FTP to up and download files to my server. I also use it t change permissions. You will need an FTP account with your server if you don't already have one and then its easy to select the file or folder and set the permission as you wish.

Changing the PHP settings is different so I suggest that you look through the site or do a search at the top of this forum screen. (Next to the link Developers)

Rules Stifle Creativity

PhilD
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by PhilD » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:56 am

There are several common ways to change directory and file permissions on the server for the Joomla files.

One way is to use your ftp program to make the changes to permissions

Another way is to use your domains file manager that is accessible from the domains c-panel (not Joomla)

Yet another way is to install a file manager component in Joomla to make the changes.

The permission problem is not a problem with your host. It is just a fact of the way the host has set up the server. Probably running php as an apache module. You will have to change permissions to 777 on certain directories and files when installing, updating, removing extensions. Be sure to set them back to 755 and 644 when done, or you will really wish you had in short order.

Bikerdave -- I don't understand the reference to changing php settings that you made unless I missed something in a post.

Directory permissions are supposed to be set to 755 and file permissions are supposed to be set to 644. Ownership of the created directory or file is determined by who actually created it (ftp user or the webserver). Elevation of these permissions settings to 777 can be done on a temporary basis on certain server setups when needed, then permissions need to be set back to 755/644 for safety.
PhilD

esa_pg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by esa_pg » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:39 am

Thanx a lot..I'm sorry for posting on solved problem :D

Bikerdave
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Bikerdave » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:58 am

PhilD wrote: Bikerdave -- I don't understand the reference to changing php settings that you made unless I missed something in a post.
When Joomla is installed, as well as setting the permissions for certain folders one has to change permission (if that is the correct word) on Register Globals, Safe Mode and Globals Emulation. Are these not php settings or am I mistaken?

On Joomla v1.0 these are presented to you on the initial pre-installation check along with the folders that need permissions changing. At some point he will need to change these settings and they are not changed by the same method as folders. I wanted to ensure that these were different and would need a different approach.

Rules Stifle Creativity

PhilD
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by PhilD » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:41 pm

Ok, I got it now.

Register Globals, Safe Mode are configuration setting variables (some call them flags) for the php software that is installed on the host server, not permission settings. Some, but not all, servers do have these variables set improperly and a person will need to change these settings if the host allows them to be changed. The variables are changed through the use of commands placed in either an .htaccess file or in a php.ini files. Which to use depends on the actual server configuration.

The correct settings are off for register_globals, and safe_mode. There are plenty of examples and discussion on both variables in the security forum. There is also information on setting the variables in the security faq's

Generally, if these variables need changing, you would use an .htaccess file to make the changes if php is being run as an apache module. an .htaccess file is recursive (acts on the directory it is placed in and all directories below that one) so the change can be made in the main .htaccess file in public_html.

If php is being run by the server as a cgi process, then you will need to use php.ini files. These php.ini files are not recursive (they act only on the directory they are placed in) and will need to be placed in every directory. There is software that will quickly do this for you. At the minimum a person needs to place a php.ini file in the public_html directory or where Joomla is installed if not in the root directory and also in the Joomla administration directory.

Globals Emulation is a setting in the Joomla configuration.php file that when enabled will emulate the php variable register_globals. The emulation setting is included for compatibility reasons. Some very old extensions did need globals emulation or register globals set to on. This is not needed (nor is it safe security wise) nowadays and should be unchecked so it is set to set to off or zero.
PhilD

Bikerdave
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Bikerdave » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:13 pm

Your description of how to change the php configuration settings sounds very complicated and its not how I am able to do things.

My Host server http://www.servage.net has a Control Panel which has radio buttons for PHP Safe Mode, PHP Safe Mode GID and PHP Register Globals for each of my sites which I change from on to off or vice versa as required. It takes a few hours for the changes to take place but that's no problem. I have never used .htaccess or modified php.ini files and don't seem to have a problem.

In Joomla v1.012, to change Global Emulations I use Filezilla to download the globals.php file from the site root directory and using Notepad, I change the 1 to 0 and then upload back to the site. I am sure that I read this was the way to do it somewhere in the Joomla help/tutorials. However in v 1.015 there is a setting you can change under Global Configuration so even easier.

Rules Stifle Creativity

PhilD
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by PhilD » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:05 pm

All hosts are different in how their business model is, so if you can change the settings from your hosting accounts control panel, then that is the easiest way. However, most hosting services do not give domain accounts this option and the person desiring to change these settings for their account must use either the .htaccess file or the php.ini files to make the changes. It is actually a very simple change to make through either .htaccess or the php.ini files, though the actual commands to place in the files differ between the two.

That is the way I make changes to my configuration.php file. I have a local copy, make changes and upload the changed copy overwriting the one on the live server.
PhilD

nuwud
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by nuwud » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:45 pm

I am having issues with a stubborn customer who doesn't want to give up her prepaid hosting and the hosting company doesn't want to play ball when it comes to changing Safe Mode from On to Off and Register Globals from On to Off. The php.ini and htaccess files won't work either!

Last install wouldn't allow any installs of mods, plugins, components, or templates. :(

Deleted everything from server, got new db and trying again. Any clues?
Thanks,

Nuwud Order

pinkynetnet
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pinkynetnet » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:12 pm

I got a problem with installation modules in joomla 1.5.11...

by trying to install it with the "Upload Package File" option i receive message:

Warning! Failed to move file.

Unable to find install package

by using "Install from Directory" i get message:

Please enter a package directory

and with "Install from URL":

Warning: file_put_contents(/home/*****/public_html/tmp/mod_******.zip) [function.file-put-contents]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/*******/public_html/libraries/joomla/filesystem/file.php on line 298

I tried do install it via ftp too, but i can't see the module in the modules list in joomla...

i would be grateful if somebody help me...

EDIT: Problem soved... i have added 777 permissions in the modules, components and plugins folders...

2kmegs
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by 2kmegs » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:13 pm

PhilD
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by PhilD » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:57 pm

pinkynetnet,
I hope you put the permissions back to 644/755 after you were through installing. If not you will be hacked in short order.
PhilD

joshua333
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by joshua333 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:59 am

Hey PhilD,

I'm having similar problems. But I'm not sure which permissions to change on which folders so I can't install or what change to make to the htaccess file. Thanks in advance.

caninecomp
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

can't find package directory

Post by caninecomp » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:45 pm

What is a package directory and how do you install so joomla can find for installation of template?

shazlan325
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: I can't install modules/components/templates. Please Hel

Post by shazlan325 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:18 pm

i have similar problem. i need to install component aicontactsafe.

error msg * JFolder::create: Could not create directory
* Warning! - Failed to move file

i already change the permission to 777, but nothing differents. please help me... :(

and also i did change on configaration.php

var $log_path = '/logs';
var $tmp_path = '/tmp';

but still same error.

leonardojpv
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by leonardojpv » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:49 am

Hi dude! It's been almost four months since the last time you posted but since I see no reply to your last post, here's my humble contribution. I had the same problem. You have to read the error messages you get carefully. They actually tell you what to do. They tell you what directory or file is inaccessible, and those are the ones you have to work on.

When you upload a plugin installer you may need to chmod several folders to 777. Google 'CHMOD' if you don't know what that is. Make Google and Wikipedia two of your best friends. If you don't know exactly what kind of plugin you're installing, you might solve the problem by setting the following folders' permission to 777: components, modules, plugins and tmp (including all their subfolders). If you're installing a template it might be enough to chmod the folder 'templates' only. Most of the servers use cpanel nowadays. if that's your case, access yourdomain.com/cpanel. Click on File manager, and there you'll see where to click to change permissions on specific folders. If not, use an ftp client (i.e. filezilla or fireftp for firefox) and change permissions. If you're not familiar with ftp clients, google 'ftp' and get reading right away!!!

Never forget to set permissions back to 755 after you're done. If not, you'll be a little rat in party of hungry snakes.

I hope to be useful 'cause this is the first time a post in a forum and I'm not a native english speaker. Regards from Venezuela!

worldwideAPI
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by worldwideAPI » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:27 am

JFolder::create: Infinite loop detected
Warning! Failed to move file.

i have that error problem on citydent-duesseldorf.de

dunno what to do, i usally more things to add but module/component installation falis....

jcleger
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jcleger » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:27 am

Had the same problem this morning.

When I downloaded the template, it was automatically unzipped and then the Joomla template uploader wouldn't recognise the template file.

To make it all work fine, I zipped the downladed template file again and surprise: it all worked fine!!!

Return to “Installation - 1.0.x”