Cache causing duplicate Virtuemart products to appear

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
gchancy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Cache causing duplicate Virtuemart products to appear

Post by gchancy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:17 pm

I am running Joomla 1.5.2 and Virtuemart 1.1. Legacy mode is enabled. The site loads slowly, so I would like to use caching. When I enable the system caching, the Virtuemart pages develop a problem. The first product's information prints for all subsequent products. The same thing occurs when using the caching plugin.

I posted this over at Virtuemart, and the developers over there said to turn off caching. In essence, their attitude was that it is a Joomla issue. With caching off, the VM pages do render just fine. However, caching would really improve the performance of what is a slow site at this point.

Any suggestions for a fix that will correct this?

Thanks,

Glen

Cukker
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Cache causing duplicate Virtuemart products to appear

Post by Cukker » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:04 am

I have also this problem.
I can fix that for this time :

in the www/cache/ are vm_31247265f28e5ac616c230743990f79e files...
Change the attributume to 222 ( all of categories files)

Cukker
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Cukker » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:11 am

Not working for long time:(

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Let's look at this logically... Cache works fine in the core of Joomla... A 3pd component breaks when cache (which it needs to use) is enabled. And it's a core issue???

Keep in mind, that unless the cache plugin is enabled, Joomla forces NO CACHING on 3pd extensions UNLESS they specifically use it... A core issue? ha...
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

gchancy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gchancy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:37 pm

Hello -

While I appreciate your points, it isn't especially helpful. Multiple of us use Joomla because the combination of Joomla's CMS ability with the VM shopping cart is a great combo. Unfortunately, I've backed off using J 1.5 because I ran into this issue, and also I can't get SEF to work either.

Geoff
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by Geoff » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:49 pm

mod note: moved to components
Unfortunately, I've backed off using J 1.5 because I ran into this issue
It's a VirtueMart issue and should be taken up with them. There are other shopping carts extensions available such as Freeway.
Backup, backup, backup!
The "Master" .htacess file by Nicholas http://snipt.net/nikosdion/the-master-htaccess

ircmaxell
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by ircmaxell » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:56 pm

gchancy wrote:Hello -

While I appreciate your points, it isn't especially helpful. Multiple of us use Joomla because the combination of Joomla's CMS ability with the VM shopping cart is a great combo. Unfortunately, I've backed off using J 1.5 because I ran into this issue, and also I can't get SEF to work either.
Well, it is helpful in one sense. It's not a core issue... So posting about it here is not going to get you help (sorry, we fix problems in our product). You may want to get the developers of the "great" VM to tackle the issue instead of passing blame...

I don't find any other 3pd components blaming us for caching issues... Furthermore, if it's really a core issue as VM says it is, why don't I see a detailed bug report from them listing how they came to the conclusion that it's our "bug"?

Ok, so you have issues with SEF... Why havn't I seen any information from you about that? We arn't mind readers... We can only fix what people give us enough information about to duplicate...
Anthony Ferrara - Core Team - Development Coordinator - Bug Squad - JSST

http://moovum.com/ - The Bird is in the air! Get Mollom Anti-Spam on your Joomla! website with Moovur...
http://www.joomlaperformance.com For All Your Joomla Performance Needs

gchancy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gchancy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:06 pm

Relax. I've been developing core systems applications for 15 years. I understand where you are coming from. If the core Joomla team developed a shopping cart system, then I'm sure I would use it instead. I don't think this is a core Joomla issue. I posted over here hoping that there would be someone in the community might have an idea how to fix this. I don't like the VM attitude of 'just turn off caching.' Good performance isn't really an option.

As for SEF, I reviewed the documentation on how to use SEF URLs in 1.5, and never managed to get them working. So, for subsequent projects (three of them so far), I reverted back to using J 1.0.15

I could have done something wrong, or perhaps there really is a problem. Regardless, J 1.0.15 is working great for me and all the sites I build for the time being. I will do more sites in 1.5, of course, and if I have a SEF problem then on that service pack I'll let you know.

AmyStephen
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by AmyStephen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:34 pm

Glen -

It is impossible to guess someone's attitude. I am certain you misunderstood the developers at Virtuemart.
gchancy wrote:I posted this over at Virtuemart, and the developers over there said to turn off caching. In essence, their attitude was that it is a Joomla issue.
I'm not certain what documentation you read, but a bright high school student wrote this for the community and it has been the answer to a number of people's problems. If you have trouble configuring SEF URLs, again, use the Joomla! forum linked to in this document and provide the diagnostics requested. I am confident the community will be able to assist.

I don't mean this the wrong way, Glen, but using Joomla! 1.0.15 instead of 1.5, or using WordPress or Drupal, instead of Joomla!, is okay. Joomla! is provided freely for those who find it useful and it is maintained and enhanced by those who wish it to be even more useful. Join us!

Kind regards,
Amy

Sulpher
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Sulpher » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Sorry, but let's talk about problem directly.
I have noticed the same cache problem in VM 1.1.2 in both Joomla! platforms - 1.0.15 and 1.5.8, so I don't think turning cache off is a proper way. Anybody knows how to solve the problem with cache in VirtueMart 1.1.2?
Templates for Kunena, JComments, AcyMailing & ZOO Apps - https://www.roundtheme.com
Joomla! extensions provider - https://www.norrnext.com

Eugene Sivokon - follow me @sulpher

ngisdesign
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ngisdesign » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:05 pm

gchancy wrote:I posted this over at Virtuemart, and the developers over there said to turn off caching. In essence, their attitude was that it is a Joomla issue.
To make your claim credible, please include the VM forum thread. Otherwise, you just made it up which is not a good practice.
Sulpher wrote:Sorry, but let's talk about problem directly.
I have noticed the same cache problem in VM 1.1.2 in both Joomla! platforms - 1.0.15 and 1.5.8, so I don't think turning cache off is a proper way. Anybody knows how to solve the problem with cache in VirtueMart 1.1.2?
Edit components/com_virtuemart/themes/default/templates/browse/included/browse_layouttable.tpl.php and browse_notables.tpl.php, look for this line:

echo $this->fetch_cache( 'browse/'.$templatefile .'.php' );

change it to:

echo $this->fetch( 'browse/'.$templatefile .'.php' );
Virtuemart Joomla Templates

http://www.vjtemplates.com

donkassim
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by donkassim » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:58 pm

thanks ngisdesign
it worked for me

tstaples
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tstaples » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:46 pm

that file didn't have that line in it for me.... I have the same problem... I'd love to turn on caching in my global config but every time I do, virtuemart goes to hell

tstaples
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tstaples » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:47 pm

hey guys... I switched over to the default template provided by VM and this problem went away for me. I had some other template (which i liked) that i was using.. but my guess is that somewhere in that template it's calling cache... Switched over, and now I can switch on all the joomla caching I want without any issue.

mperez
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by mperez » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:20 pm

I had also Virtuemart 1.1.4 and vm_white template, and the same issue. I have switched over to the default tamplate and it also has solved the issue.

snw
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by snw » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Since we're talking about non-default templates, the exact line may vary...

Just search all files under /browse/includes for instances of "fetch_cache" and replace it with "fetch".

That worked for me.

:)

72dpi
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by 72dpi » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:50 am

Hi All,

I can confirm this same problem, and removing the fetch_cache with fetch fixes it.

Our problem seemed associated with Joomla cache/wamp apache cache on a windows server.

A big thanks to all who contributed to this thread and for Google to give search results high rankings ;)

You guys seriously rock, thanks again.

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”