Category dropdown in editor not showing all published categories

General questions relating to Joomla! There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.
mikomak
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Category dropdown in editor not showing all published categories

Post by mikomak » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:53 pm

Hi all,

First off, let me just say this is a great cms - I've been playing with it for a couple of days and it really is amazing.

I am having just one problem however and after trying to get it working for a day I can't seem to crack it. I searched on this forum but didn't see a solution.

Here it is - I have a few categories that are published and do appear on the frontend however they do not appear in the category drop-down for the editor.

I am using JCE now but I had the same problem when using TinyMCE. Only a couple of categories appear like News and Latest News.

I'm guessing there must be a setting so that anyone using the editor has access to the categories in the dropdown but I can't seem to find it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
MikoMak

JulianD7
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Category dropdown in editor not showing all published categories

Post by JulianD7 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:53 pm

I am having a similar problem. I can't however get any categories to dropdown at all. I installed WysiwygPro and it was working great for an evening. Today I go in and the categories will not drop down. I uninstalled WysiwygPro (ouch!) andreverted back to JCE but problem remains. Hmmm any one else havingthis problem?

dhuelsmann
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: Category dropdown in editor not showing all published categories

Post by dhuelsmann » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:19 pm

Create a new menu link to your submit news Using the Submit content selection, then select the section in which you want that submit content to apply. All of the categories for that section will then be available.

Regards

Dave
Regards, Dave
Past Treasurer Open Source Matters, Inc.
Past Global Moderator
http://www.kiwaniswest.org

arwizard68
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Category dropdown in editor not showing all published ca

Post by arwizard68 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:22 pm

After poking around because i had the same problem that i just could not resolve and none of the posts were helping I finally found what was causing my problem.

In my case it is obMassSecCat - Mass Sections and Categories. But I am sure that the problem is not just with this plugin.

When a new category or section is created if it is not clean in the database it will break the script however the error handling of joomla will not break the page.

In my case the repair was relatively simple.
Search and replace in the actual table XXX_categories and XXX_sections for offending additions.

in the case of obMassSecCat it will add a "-" (hyphen) to the end of some of the aliases or a "\r" to the aliases. You should look for any escaped characters other than "\'" (escape apostrophe) because generally speaking all other escapes are going to break the script (with some odd exceptions). The simple method to do this is through myphpadmin.

Create a backup copy of the tables, export the tables which will give you a text file. save that text file to you local hard drive and open it with NotePad. Find all hyphens that are at the end of the line by searching for -' (hyphen apostrophe) and replace with nothing.

then search for \r (backslash) and replace with nothing
then search for \n (backslash) and replace with nothing

scan through the file and see if anything else looks out of place if so replace it or fix it.

Then simply import the data back into myphpadmin.

just a note... before importing the data check the top of the file to insure that there are no line feeds at the top. (sometimes notepad does this for some reason).

Happy hunting... and hope this helps someone.

Return to “General Questions - 1.0.x”