Project Name Chosen- Discussion

A place to discuss recent announcements made by the Joomla! Core Team. Let's hear what you have to say.
jlleblanc
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Project Name Chosen- Discussion

Post by jlleblanc » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:42 am

For those of you who say more time should be allotted, here's another thing to consider: how long do you think the name can honestly be kept secret once an announcement outside the core team has been made? We would hope that everyone would play nicely and keep it a secret until the official announcement, but once you tell that many people, there are no guarantees.
Joseph L. LeBlanc: http://www.jlleblanc.com
Frontend components start here: /components/com_[name]/[name].php
Backend components start here: /administrator/components/com_[name]/admin.[name].php

cdkaminsky
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by cdkaminsky » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:11 am

leolam wrote:
d3vlabs wrote: the only domain I would be worried about is $amboportal.com since I'm not even sure if Konze got the news about OSM or $ambo Foundation for that matter.
This is definitely MFP so far on this forum  ;D :D ;D

(sorry Vavroom:: I could not let this one go ;).........)

Leo

My Favorite Post
Sorry to ask....just curious....what makes this your favorite post?  The comment that you quoted about Mamboportal or the Cowboy talk?  If it is the part about Konze..why would it be that he would not know about this.  I remember seeming something about him being away but I have not been in the community that long.....

Again just curious...

jomaco1
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by jomaco1 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:53 am

lonemamber wrote:
d3vlabs wrote:
Ughhh d3vlabs, don't you go starting that!!!  we've had enough in the couple, err, dozens of name threads!!!
but this is the fun part. This is where most can bug developers for some leakage
Can we have one letter please  ;D
Howdy Pardner, unfortunately that is the wrong thread for this. This here thread is for arguing with each other.
rjs is the real Lone Mamber!
Now, it aint like I go about implyin' you pilgrims is fictional characters now is it? ;)

Quite likely tho anyone layin' out an affected cowboy lingo could be the lone mamber, I aint denyin' that, hey even I could be the lone mamber!

Back onto the topic at hand here, good news that a name has been decided on. These times remind me of the stories told about the pioneerin' days back when pilgrims had to make a mad rush to stake their claim on the land they felt a hankerin' to make their home...

I sure hope ya'll can show some of that gallantry and respect for each other we've seen lately when the new name is proclaimed, and no-one aint hurt none in the stampede. I know, some people might think there's gold in them thar hills, but only true gold to be found out there is in the strength of this here community.

Aww, this ol' cowboy is just a softy...

Anyways, likewise I aint expectin' it to be Lone Star CMS as that jomaco1 character suggested, tho that there be a mighty fine name for an establishment. I can only hope either the name'll sound ok as "Lone *name*ber" or else the term "mamber" can go down in the fat book o' words as slang for a member of this community, Mambo or no ;)

There, that's my say on the matter, and I'll endeavour to be makin' full coverage of this eventuatin' circumstance as long as I aint catchin' some shut eye at the time.

Thankye kindly,

The Lone Mamber
Yeah, I am kind of fond of that name: "Lone Star CMS". ;) In fact, that brings up a good point. Although it is really a good name, it does not lend itself well to the garden variety $ambo-something domain. For example; LoneStarPortal.com...isn't bad, but LoneStarHut.com isn't so good, nor is LoneStarForge.net. So, you see, it is still pretty much a crap-shoot (coin-toss, luck-of-the-draw) for domains depending on what the name is.

Let's say it "is" LoneStar CMS. I would want to register something clever that goes with the name, like LoneStarSaloon.com, LoneStarCorral.com, or LoneStarHighway.com. Unfortunately, it will not work with all sites... like Allmambo.com, which would be "AllLoneStar.com". And what will we call the members...Loners? I'm sure loners.com is long gone.

So its not just a matter of quickly registering your domain with a different prefix, there's going to be a period of  time where new domain names are going to have to be created from scratch, based on the actual name. Many names will not be possible to obtain, because they are already being used (although I was quite surprised to find out that LoneStarBrewery.com is available)...and others will just have to be dropped because they won't work.

Pathos
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Pathos » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:06 am

Well one hour is short, but i guess the argumemt about keeping it a secret is also valid. In holland there could be some trouble because here registrars for the.nl names need signed documents (stupid, but its like that) and so there will be more of a speed-rush. And the time is after closing of many businesses, or next to it. Could the dev-team maybe send an email of forms that where received. I send in a form, but with the speed of things i'm now just hoping it got received and i'm on the list.... :-)
Joris van den Wittenboer  http://www.designerhosting.nl

idigital
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by idigital » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:20 am

Heheh, disregard old post, mistaken identity ;)

On-topic, let's all cross our fingers for a name we all like ;)
Last edited by idigital on Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
  . _  _ . _ . _
  || || ||| ||| |
. ||-||- ||- || |
|_|| || |||_|||_|
  http://jaribio.com

manuman
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by manuman » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:07 am

I think everyone should remmeber that we are trying to cater for potentially 100's of domain owners. They are all over the world and each have different local issues.

Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all answer.

I think we have provided a reasonable compromise, and hope that you all do the right thing.

Cheers
Shayne
Shayne Bartlett - Joomla Co-Founder
CTO/Web Architect: Elastik Limited https://elastik.space

Brett
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Brett » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:22 am

I agree totally!  A big thanks goes out to the team.
-Brett

Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom. But sharing data is the first step toward community.

MyJC
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by MyJC » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:43 am

I think it's very decent of the core to notify the *mambo and mambo* owners at all.

For owners of .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .to, .us, and .name:

If you are seriously stuck and cannot register the domain in time and you feel like you can trust me, I will be willing to act as your proxy. I will be able to get right on the Internet, I have a T3 connection and should have no problem registering the domains for you and then transferring them to you.

The following conditions apply:
  • Only the first 50 domain names requested (domain names, not persons)
  • You are listed as the owner in the whois of your domain name
  • It's OK with the core and you notify them to notify me as well as/instead of you
  • You send me an email from the domain in question and respond to my reply to same that says that if I screw up and spell it wrong, don't get it in time, or for any other reason mess up, you won't sue me - nor will you have to reimburse my registration fees
  • You reimburse the registration fees with a check, Visa or MasterCard credit card, or through PayPal within 7 days
If you would like to know more about me, you can look at my website or you can view my few posts over at the old forums (ignore the queen of england one, please). If you are really clever, you can probably figure out how to call me at home!  ;) (but please don't).

If you want to take me up on this, please let me know by email or pm ASAP. If the core has any problem with this, please let me know ASAP.

Hope this helps,

wr
"A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion." Proverbs 18:2

ispsg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ispsg » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:49 am

Seeing so many disputes on the advance notice timeline, I would say that is human nature people tends to ask for more than they needed.
No matter how much others give, one would think that it would be better if is more. So.. 1hr not enough, how much is enough? 2hrs?.. 12hrs.. 1 day.. 1 week? I think I need 1 month. You see? ???
By giving the previous domain owners the advantage over others, the whole community is placing trust on these privileged owners to be ethical and honest enough not to get other domains till the name is announced to public. It just take 1 or 2 black-sheeps to grasp domains not supposingly belong to them to stir-up chaos in this newly founded community. The attorney to the core may place some clause and rectifcation on the privileged groups of mambodomain owners to prevent domain poaching.
But, being a large community, there are always the law obliging fews and the law breakers. Fact. :-*

If we are talking about trust, ethic and fairness; no one needs advance notice anyway as no one should attempt to register newnameHut or newnameSolutions etc accept the rightful owners. Logical? Well, if only the world is perfect and everyone gets a share of Mr Bill Gate's wealth. ;D

Having said my 2 cents theory, I would predict that the next dispute would be the newname itself. Why?
Oohh.. why choose this name and not that... mine is better, mine is... and the story will go on for few pages. Hmmm... I wish I am wrong. ;)

Conclusion, as in every contest. Judges' decision is final. :-X
Last edited by ispsg on Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

d3vlabs
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by d3vlabs » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:16 am

Having said my 2 cents theory, I would predict that the next dispute would be the newname itself. Why?
Oohh.. why choose this name and not that... mine is better, mine is... and the story will go on for few pages.
what he said

ispsg
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ispsg » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:33 am

what he said
Conclusion, as in every contest. Judges' decision is final.

TomT
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by TomT » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:59 am

I'm completely stupefied about some reactions in this thread. I found it a very attentive offer of the core team to give people an early notice. But instead of saying thank you, people start complaining!?
If you don't have time to register ask a friend to do it for you. And contact the company that registered your current domain today, so they will know there is an urgency in registering tomorrow.
Please don't blame the coreteam that you are a lonely unimaganative person  ;).

So allthough I don't have a mam$o related domain, I want to thank the coreteam anyhow for this courteous gesture.
Last edited by TomT on Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aris Ntatsis
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Aris Ntatsis » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:20 am

jlleblanc wrote: ... here's another thing to consider: how long do you think the name can honestly be kept secret once an announcement outside the core team has been made? We would hope that everyone would play nicely and keep it a secret until the official announcement, but once you tell that many people, there are no guarantees.
I think this is a serious point of view.

8)
Joomla Volunteer & Certified Joomla Administrator: https://volunteers.joomla.org/joomlers/ ... is-ntatsis
Υποστήριξη και Υπηρεσίες Joomla από το https://www.onscreen.gr

Regenerate
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Regenerate » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:18 am

Offtopic:
d3vlabs wrote: the only domain I would be worried about is $amboportal.com since I'm not even sure if Konze got the news about OSM or $ambo Foundation for that matter.
Why worry about that? He hasn't been online on mambers.com for over a month now and he does nothing for the Mambo community anymore, I don't see why he would deserve to keep that name. IMHO we should be glad if anyone else has the ability to make a new M*mb*portal, but I bet the devteam has registered this name for themselves... (which is a good thing).
Last edited by Regenerate on Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Jansen
Conversion Manager, Magento e-commerce consultant
Company: userlegion.com
Twitter: @guido

TomT
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by TomT » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:13 am

This is very off topic. Mamboportal is Arthur Konze's project, so it's up to him to decide what to do with it. I have no doubt that the coreteam will respect this.

d3vlabs
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by d3vlabs » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:22 am

where is that guy anyways. he got a damn huge web site and just disappears.

d3v suspects family  :D

Matrixguru
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Matrixguru » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:10 am

thats one for The Lone Mamber to find out......

Pathos
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Pathos » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:59 am

My post about the registration proces in Holland was not mend to get a headstart over the other headstart :-) Just wanted to let the other dutch owners know about the urgence which they have to act and be prepared.I thought dutch TLD's were the only one working with signed papers that have to be send by snailmail (or when your lucky through fax or mail). So be prepared.

And i think one hour is fair. And i'm very glad we have gotten the chance at all to register our former mambo-domains.
Joris van den Wittenboer  http://www.designerhosting.nl

Regenerate
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Regenerate » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:34 am

Pathos wrote:My post about the registration proces in Holland was not mend to get a headstart over the other headstart :-) Just wanted to let the other dutch owners know about the urgence which they have to act and be prepared.I thought dutch TLD's were the only one working with signed papers that have to be send by snailmail (or when your lucky through fax or mail). So be prepared.
Sad but true. But we are prepeared (or at least I am for the dutchmambo part of it ;)).
Pathos wrote:And i think one hour is fair. And i'm very glad we have gotten the chance at all to register our former mambo-domains.
Also very true. I don't think the name would stay a secret for longer then one hour. Longer wouldn't have made sense looking at it that way...
Last edited by Regenerate on Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guido Jansen
Conversion Manager, Magento e-commerce consultant
Company: userlegion.com
Twitter: @guido

macern

Post by macern » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:06 pm

Pathos wrote: My post about the registration proces in Holland was not mend to get a headstart over the other headstart :-) Just wanted to let the other dutch owners know about the urgence which they have to act and be prepared.I thought dutch TLD's were the only one working with signed papers that have to be send by snailmail (or when your lucky through fax or mail). So be prepared.

And i think one hour is fair. And i'm very glad we have gotten the chance at all to register our former mambo-domains.
We have the same here in Norway!
But to register a .no domain, you also have to be a registered company. And to sign a paper, and this takes "normally" 2-3 days before approval.
Also this "announcement time" is off hours here in Norway, so no new domain registrations will be handled for at least 10-12 hours after the announcement of the new name.

I'm just happy I did not not register any domain names containing Mambo, as I was thinking about just before all this started  ;D

Elpie
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Elpie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:52 pm

Well, I don't have to register a new domain, but I will add my 0.02c worth in, just coz.
The owners of domains which are Mambo related in name may or may not want to register similar domains for the new name.
There is an assumption that people will either want to let their old Mambo domains lapse, or to have two sites/domains.  I know that if I had built my web presence on a mambo-something I would likely be dong a "wait and see" and would not be in a rush to start rebranding my site.  It is entirely possible (if one was a real optimist and believed in tooth fairies as well) that Miro may produce a good product.  It will be a different CMS, but may still be one which suits many people.  Template developers, for example, may find they are making templates for two CMS' instead of just one. 

While I think it is an excellent move to allow owners of Mambo domains a first-off-the-post chance to register similar domains under the new name, I think this needs to be seen as a privilege.  The OSM team didn't have to do this.

Allowing a longer advance notice is just too risky.  Trust is all very well but, even with a signed confidentiality agreement (very hard to do when you are dealing with a world-wide community and you want to make the announcement in a day or two) there is no control over the releasing of the name.  Even a signed confidentiality agreement wouldn't stop the name being leaked - it doesn't take much imagination to realise that the core team would not want to be embroiled in legal hassles as soon as the new project is officially launched.

So, I fully support the one hour window and think the OSM team are being very gracious in allowing this.

I do have one whinge though - how am I going to get a decent sleep when I know that the announcement is going to be made in the middle of the night???? (Ok, 5am here - but I am not getting up that early for anything!)  ;D

NB. So, if anyone wants to take pity on me and let me know the name before I go to bed, I promise I won't tell!!!!
For Mambo assistance: http://forum.mambo-foundation.org
Open Source Research & Best Practice: http://osprojects.info

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:19 pm

Elpie wrote: I do have one whinge though - how am I going to get a decent sleep when I know that the announcement is going to be made in the middle of the night???? (Ok, 5am here - but I am not getting up that early for anything!)  ;D

NB. So, if anyone wants to take pity on me and let me know the name before I go to bed, I promise I won't tell!!!!
It's easy, Elpie, you don't have to miss out or lose sleep - leave your mobile 'phone turned on and someone can sms the new name. The "new message" alarm will wake you!

PS. Not that I'm offering!

Elpie
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by Elpie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:40 pm

lester wrote: It's easy, Elpie, you don't have to miss out or lose sleep - leave your mobile 'phone turned on and someone can sms the new name. The "new message" alarm will wake you!

PS. Not that I'm offering!
Hmmm... I would be prepared to be woken at that unearthly time in the morning ONLY if it were Brad sending the message.  That way I could feel slightly better about being woken, knowing that it was only 3am for him.  No way am I letting any of you lot who are in living time have my cell phone number!  I'm one of those people who don't believe that anyone should ever have to see two 5's or 6's in any one day!
For Mambo assistance: http://forum.mambo-foundation.org
Open Source Research & Best Practice: http://osprojects.info

iljadica
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by iljadica » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:32 pm

It is nice to have a "good" domain/brand name, but I think the content is much more valuable than the just domain name. I don't think I would be visiting NewNamePortal if somebody steals the domain name from Arthur.
Considering past events, community is very sensitive on any attempt of stealing or similar actions and I guess most of the community would react the same way. The same applies to Mambo CMS brand or better to say to NewName CMS.

Anyway, one hour ahead is fair or enough time for those who want to register similar domain names, and we can only thank to OSM team to taking this into consideration (beside other organization issues on the beginning of the new/old project)

kaizen
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by kaizen » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:38 pm

Well personally I don't care WHAT the new name is, I'm just happy my prayers were answered and a name was chosen.  This means a repository will follow soon and we can release our new component on OSM turf rather than 'somewhere else', which was number two on my worry list.  Number one - namely what to tell clients waiting in the wings - is now also resolved.

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!

:D :D
Robert Anthony Pitera
West of East, Inc. - http://www.westofeast.com - Taking technology in new directions™

web2xs
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by web2xs » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:57 pm

Congrats on chosing a name for our beloved CMS.

This makes me a happy person, as I know from experience that rebranding of any product, normally takes months/years, there are many thought process's to go through and to get it done right by the right people, is essential for a succesfull relaunch back to No1 CMS position. Well done to the core team.

As for the early bird notice, lets take what ever time we can get. You may see the bigger domains change to the new name, but you may also see a rebrand from them also, moving to more independent namings. The new name will hopefully bring new webmasters and new web services to light, from more sources than ever before. Some sites that had very large user bases are now static and have been for months, time for them to roll over and let some new blood in with the energy that a rebrand/relaunch requires.

Whatever the name and whatever permitations will be pre-registered by the core team and 3PD's, will in turn benefit us all by providing a solid platform for the community to grow and intice new members.

For the ones that have jumped ship, good luck with your new ventures.

Personally, I believe this to be a significant point in OSS history and in years to come we will look back and say "I was there, I helped in some way shape what we have today"

The King is Dead, Long Live The King.

2XS

rjs

Post by rjs » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:24 pm

Matrixguru wrote:

thats one for The Lone Mamber to find out......

I like that.

JoomlaGeek
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JoomlaGeek » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:53 pm

d3vlabs wrote: where is that guy anyways. he got a damn huge web site and just disappears.

d3v suspects family  :D
[me=GRutkowski]suspects insanity.[/me]
GeekExtreme - Technology news, rumors and reviews Yep, we're pretty geeky! - http://www.geekextreme.com

Sebastiaan
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by Sebastiaan » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:51 pm

Pathos wrote: Well one hour is short, but i guess the argumemt about keeping it a secret is also valid. In holland there could be some trouble because here registrars for the.nl names need signed documents (stupid, but its like that) and so there will be more of a speed-rush. And the time is after closing of many businesses, or next to it. Could the dev-team maybe send an email of forms that where received. I send in a form, but with the speed of things i'm now just hoping it got received and i'm on the list.... :-)
Try http://www.transip.nl they're good, no they're GREAT. They allow you to sign using a mouse-drawn version of your signature (using a simple java applet). And they're crazy cheap as well. I have 15 domains with them, including .nl ones.

vavroom

Post by vavroom » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:33 pm

GRutkowski wrote: [me=GRutkowski]suspects insanity.[/me]
Hey! I resemble that remark :o

"In an insane world, only the insane is sane" - Akiro Kurosawa :)

Return to “Announcements Discussions”