Response time issues

Discussion regarding Joomla! 1.5 Performance issues.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Security and Performance FAQs
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
upmm019
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Response time issues

Post by upmm019 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi, I have version 1.5.18 joomla, with community builder 1.2.2, and AEC 0.14 hosing on a deluxe GoDaddy hosting account.

I am having very sporadic load/response times and I'm wondering if there is any tools out there that I can load to the site to help me see where the slow down is occuring.

GoDaddy is saying that it's not the server.

They gave a canned response of:

Code: Select all

Thank you for contacting Online Support.

I was unable to duplicate any slowness on your web site at this time. In shared hosting environments, there can be times when the load spikes and causes a site to load slower than normal, this is something that cannot be entirely avoided using shared hosting.

You can make modifications to your site that improve performance. Some of these changes are easy to manage while others might take some time to figure out.

Here are four things you can do to speed up your site:

GZIP Compression

Smaller pages load faster, regardless of your Internet connection speed. You can make your pages smaller by compressing them with GZIP. For more information about GZIP and our hosting, see Compressing Web Pages for Faster Load Times.

Image Sizes

If you use HTML to make large images small, a site visitor still needs to download the larger version. If you need a small image, don't use HTML to do it—shrink it in an image-editing program instead.

Scripting

You can edit to say more with less. A good programmer does the same thing with code. If the code on your site is inefficient, it impacts your site's performance. There isn't a quick fix for bloated code, but if you're using GZIP and you've reduced your image sizes, analyze your code to make your site even faster. One way to make a database-driven site faster is to use a database index to improve the speed of data retrieval.

CSS

Cascading style sheets are great for formatting the look and feel of your website. If your style sheet contains a lot of styles that aren't being used, you are forcing browsers to download things they don't need. If you're trying to maximize performance, trim your CSS files and remove anything that's unnecessary.

In most cases, slow performance on a database driven web site is the result of too many database connections being made by the site code or the database itself needing to be optimized. I recommend that you review the code for the site to ensure that it is making as few connections as possible in order to retrieve the data, and that those connections are being closed properly.

You can also optimize the database tables from within in the phpMyAdmin interface provided with the hosting account.

How To Optimize MySQL Database Tables in phpMyAdmin:

• Click Hosting under My Products on the left
   • Click the Manage Account link for the hosting account which holds the database
   •  Click MySQL under Databases
   •  Click Open Manager for the database you wish to optimize
   •  Click the database table to be optimized on the left side of the screen
   •  Click the Operations tab
   •  Under Table maintenance, click Optimize table

NOTE: The Optimize option may not appear for every table. If it does not, that generally means the table is already at maximum optimization.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.
I'm not sure where I should go/try next in trying to figure out this slow response time

azunoman
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Re: Response time issues

Post by azunoman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:53 pm

how about a url so we can check you page loads, .js, etc. etc...

There are a few things you can do on a godaddy shared server...else nobody would ever upgrade to vps or dedicated....that's why we moved all our joomla sites off shared to a minimum of a vps server so we could use mod_expires and mod_deflate, as an example.
Retired IBM 360/370 Assembler TPF Systems Programmer

upmm019
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by upmm019 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:15 am

site is
http://www.palosrc.com

What is mod_expires and mod_deflate?

This is just a hobby site, with minimal funds so I'm doubtful of the expense to move to a dedicated server.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:11 am

azunoman
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by azunoman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:58 pm

I'd suggest getting yslow (a firefox addon). This will grade your site by cateogory with help on how to do so.

Here is an example htaccess that will enable mod_expires...is checks for the module and if present set's up a fairly nice mod_expires for your site. The values can be changed as you like.

Header unset Cache-Control:
Header unset Expires:
Header unset Pragma:
Header unset Keep-Alive:
Header unset Connection:
# 1 YEAR
<FilesMatch "\.(ico|pdf|flv)$">
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=29030400, public"
</FilesMatch>
# 1 WEEK
<FilesMatch "\.(jpg|jpeg|png|gif|swf)$">
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=604800, public"
</FilesMatch>
# 2 DAYS
<FilesMatch "\.(xml|txt|css|js)$">
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=172800, proxy-revalidate"
</FilesMatch>
# 1 MIN
<FilesMatch "\.(html|htm|php)$">
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=60, private, proxy-revalidate"
</FilesMatch>
<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresDefault A60
ExpiresByType image/x-icon A2592000
ExpiresByType application/x-javascript A604800
ExpiresByType text/css A604800
ExpiresByType image/gif A2592000
ExpiresByType image/png A2592000
ExpiresByType image/jpeg A2592000
ExpiresByType image/jpg A2592000
ExpiresByType text/plain A86400
ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash A2592000
ExpiresByType video/x-flv A2592000
ExpiresByType application/pdf A2592000
ExpiresByType text/js M2592000
ExpiresByType text/html A60
</IfModule>
Here is a mod_deflate file, again according to your server avail. of the mod_deflate module.

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript
  AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript
  DeflateCompressionLevel 1

DeflateFilterNote Input input_info
  DeflateFilterNote Output output_info
  DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio_info
  LogFormat '"%r" %{output_info}n/%{input_info}n (%{ratio_info}n%%)' deflate
  CustomLog /var/log/httpd/deflate_log deflate
</IfModule>
use the yslow tool to see the affects of your changes.

Another great (really great) tool can be found at http://www.webogroup.com/ it works...

jake46a
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by jake46a » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:08 pm

This also may be due to AEC looking for the IP address, godaddy servers can sometime be slow with this. There is a switch in AEC Settings, on the expert tab, Log Host IP, set it to NO.
Freelance Support and Services
http://www.websgold.com/

upmm019
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by upmm019 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:35 pm

jake46a wrote:This also may be due to AEC looking for the IP address, godaddy servers can sometime be slow with this. There is a switch in AEC Settings, on the expert tab, Log Host IP, set it to NO.
Jake I don't see that option... verson 0.14

jake46a
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by jake46a » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:12 pm

upmm019 wrote:
jake46a wrote:This also may be due to AEC looking for the IP address, godaddy servers can sometime be slow with this. There is a switch in AEC Settings, on the expert tab, Log Host IP, set it to NO.
Jake I don't see that option... verson 0.14
Sorry Aec Settings, Customize Tab, Log Host with IP: NO
Freelance Support and Services
http://www.websgold.com/

azunoman
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by azunoman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:52 pm

if you can at least get header_expires working either through the .htaccess I provided earlier or via webo, you site is going to ALWAYS load slowly. you have 0 mod_expires headers...

I'ts a nice site...and something that I am also interested in, that is why I am posting here again of what you need to fix....

anno1404
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Godaddy canned response is against the law

Post by anno1404 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:09 pm

The message a representative sent me:

"Thank you for contacting Online Support. We would not be able to guarantee the site will work faster. If you have optimized the coding of your website to run things as fast as possible then it should be faster. I was unable to duplicate any slowness on your web site at this time. In shared hosting environments, there can be times when the load spikes and causes a site to load slower than normal, this is something that cannot be entirely avoided using shared hosting. I apologize for any inconvenience. "

this was in response to the server continuing to give a 500 - Internal Server Error

I tested this same webpage with web pulse:

http://www.websitepulse.com/tests/ba27d8f7153e0169.html and got a 500 - Internal Server Error

If customer service representatives are being trained to lie to customers that their is no error when there is an error, that is against the law.

If you had a customer service representative tell you that they could not replicate this error, and you know it is a lie, contact your states attorney general and file a complaint.

Since Godaddy is located in Scotsdale Arizona, also file a complaint with the Arizona Attorney General.

http://www.azag.gov/consumer/complaintformintro.html

Return to “Performance - Joomla! 1.5”