The Saga Continues...

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

The Saga Continues...

Post by red2678 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:29 pm

This is a response to a few of the last posts at the thread http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 8#p2373038

I am sorry, but I am sick of the PTL using the excuse that this is free software. I am sick of some of users in this forum that think just because they helped developed a view for the weblinks component, that they now feel they are part of the PTL. I am sick of being told that I cannot voice my opinion because I am not part of the PTL. I understand SQL, PHP , HTML. I have been doing it for about 10+ years now (probably longer than of users in this forum and since Joomlas conception). I understand the issues with changing the SQL tables and fields. But it does not change the fact that a bottom-up approach should have been taken to 1.6 (and future releases of Joomla). Figuring out how to get sites from 1.5 -> 1.6 (and future upgrading) should really be figured out first, then get onto the NEW ADMIN template. As many posts backup what I am saying.

This is dam joke. It is like high school. If you do not want to listen to user concerns then you should not be on the PTL. THIS IS OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE, IT BELONGS TO THE COMMUNITY. WE ARE THE ONES THAT DRIVE THE DIRECTION OF THE SOFTWARE! Not the PTL!

Leftfield
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: The Saga Continues...

Post by Leftfield » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:18 pm

red2678 wrote:I cannot voice my opinion because I am not part of the PTL.
Yes you are voicing and no-one locked your thread or warned you even you offended people in earlier discussions, am I right? Offending people is not a manner, no matter Are you right or not. Considering polite dictionary (like no caps lock) could bring more points to this discussions. Plz, be polite.
SEO & SEM Manager https://vujosevic.com/

diavolo32
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by diavolo32 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:23 pm

So, it's free software, so... if the software is a [censored], nothing happens. Oh, yes, i know, something happens, that internet is a great site for revolutions. You drive the Joomla Project in basis what you think are the best for Joomla!?, well, the risk is: people migrates... but to another CMS, man.

So, if i understand red2678, you said to him you don't have to publish a guide, tutorial, etc. to migrate to 1.6. You're sick. Be carefull. Somethings the fever rise and alucinations grows. You do the lemming thing, men. Open Code is for a community of helpers, users, a developer team, who all give big thanks for the effort of 1.6. But dont mixture things. The CMS is FOR users, that's how it works. If you were Microsoft or Apple, is a corporate decision. But these is open source. You want to everybody trust in your direction and in your thinking. No way. Maybe these things happens. Solve it. Better for Joomla!, the rest, including me, are not necessary. New people arrive always.
Sweet dreams are made of these | Joomla! )-**-(

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:08 pm

If you know sql and php you should be putting in patches for anything you want and if not accepted offer as extensions.

Also, please feel free to create a migration script. I made a personal one using mysql, it is simply not a big deal for anyone who is not afraid of phpmyadmin.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

rand486
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by rand486 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:23 pm

I am NOT a member of the PTL. At most, I've only helped to answer questions on the forums on days I'm bored.

I have to say, I'm astounded that anyone could feel so entitled to all of this.

1) Joomla 1.5 is stable. mcsmom is also correct, in that with even a small amount of knowledge in phpmyadmin, a migration is not terribly difficult.

2) Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING I've seen that came from the Joomla developers strongly indicated that it was a migration process, NOT an upgrade. Joomla 1.0 to 1.5 was the same. If you decided to trust a third party blog, or the comments of other forum members who were not contributing to the development either, then tough bananas. Next time, get your news from the source, don't build expectations on rumours.

3) Keep in mind, you're scolding volunteers, for volunteering. Not only that, but I get the feeling that most complaints are coming from people who don't know a lick of HTML/CSS/PHP/MySQL, and can't appreciate the amount of work being done. If you keep scolding them, they are less likely to volunteer, aren't they? I know I would be. Then you'll never get your migration tool.

There's nothing wrong with being diplomatic. Feel free to ask where/when a migration tool will be available. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if you expressed disappointment. But to expect ENTITLEMENT is a disgusting thing indeed. To insult the developers, calling them "sick" and arrogant - well that's even worse.

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Plain and simple, Joomla should not have hyped up 1.6 and had a release party until documentation and a core upgrade option was available. What was this release party for? To celebrate the shafting of the hundreds of thousands of existing Joomla site owners who got left out to pasture?

Yes it is free software but I feel there should be some sort of consideration taken into account for the current users of 1.5.x, such as providing an easy upgrade option. Please don’t respond to this post and say jupgrade is available since according to the posts I have been reading about, it's not worth the attempt. And I feel it is irresponsible to leave the only upgrade option in the lap of a third party component developer. An upgrade option should have been built into the core. This should have been 1st priority.

The thousands of Joomla customers we have are not going to be too happy when they discover they are going to have to fork out more money to a developer to basically rebuild their existing site in 1.6. I've already had a few support tickets from confused customers on how to upgrade. Some sort of migration or upgrade tool should have been built into the core of 1.6.

For new sites, Joomla 1.6 sounds great, but for the hundreds of thousands of existing Joomla sites out there I foresee most will not be upgrading anytime soon.

I don't recall WordPress or Drupal ever having this problem and this is not the first time Joomla has done this to the user community. Remember 1.0? It seems every time Joomla comes out with a new branch, it's a nightmare for the site owner... unless of course they are a developer. In fact we still have some customers running Joomla 1.0.x because they do not have any money budgeted to handle the Joomla "migration".

A core upgrade component should be release in the next version of Joomla 1.6.x in my opinion. If Joomla 1.6 is such an awesome groundbreaking CMS (as it was hyped up to be) it should include 1-click upgrade and/or documentation on upgrading.
CPanel Web Hosting Services http://interactiveonline.com/shared-web-hosting
Follow us on Twitter @interactiveo

rand486
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by rand486 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:51 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Every time I have seen a developer speak of 1.6, they've been clear that it is NOT an upgrade, it's a migration.

This isn't even a new idea: It was the same thing from 1.0 to 1.5, a MIGRATION, not an upgrade.

The only times I've seen the word upgrade, and that "it'll be easy", it has been people not involved in the development, making promises on the developers' behalf.

If I promise that if you're logged onto the Joomla forum tomorrow at 2 PM EST, your bank account will suddenly get a 1 million dollar deposit, is that a reliable piece of information? What if I promised that a developer told me?

Nemesiss
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Nemesiss » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Amen to the upgrade! Most of the existing 1.5 sites won't be redone to 1.6 without an upgrade option, it's the same with any software. Without a core upgrade component the forums (and any other support resource) will be flooded with requests to solve upgrade issues. I applaud all you experts that can easily migrate a site from 1.5 to 1.6, but for the rest of us a upgrade option would go a long way in avoiding mistakes that would crash our sites.

I do hope one is integrated into the new release, as I for one won't be migrating any time soon as much as I'd like to.

mcsmom
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by mcsmom » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 pm

There's absolutely no reason for 1.5 sites to migrate unless they really really need ACL in a way they didn't last week.
So we must fix our vision not merely on the negative expulsion of war, but upon the positive affirmation of peace. MLK 1964.
http://officialjoomlabook.com Get it at http://www.joomla.org/joomla-press-official-books.html Buy a book, support Joomla!.

trouble
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by trouble » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:37 pm

rand486 wrote:1) Joomla 1.5 is stable. mcsmom is also correct, in that with even a small amount of knowledge in phpmyadmin, a migration is not terribly difficult.
Joomla is supposed to be easy to use for non-computer literate people.
rand486 wrote:2) Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING I've seen that came from the Joomla developers strongly indicated that it was a migration process, NOT an upgrade. Joomla 1.0 to 1.5 was the same. If you decided to trust a third party blog, or the comments of other forum members who were not contributing to the development either, then tough bananas. Next time, get your news from the source, don't build expectations on rumours.
I've followed the development of 1.6 closely for years, because my decision to use Joomla for a charitable web site was partially on the premise that full ACL was in the development plan. I never saw any hint that there would not be an upgrade path until the betas, and then it was all rather hush hush and therefore assumed to be too late to even start planning a core upgrade tool.

trouble
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by trouble » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:38 pm

mcsmom wrote:There's absolutely no reason for 1.5 sites to migrate unless they really really need ACL in a way they didn't last week.
We needed it last week. We needed it last year. Web site development has long since stopped simply because 1.6 wasn't available.

rand486
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by rand486 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:48 pm

That's untrue. ACL extensions have existed for Joomla 1.5 for a very long time.

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by red2678 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Yes you are voicing and no-one locked your thread or warned you even you offended people in earlier discussions, am I right? Offending people is not a manner, no matter Are you right or not. Considering polite dictionary (like no caps lock) could bring more points to this discussions. Plz, be polite.
You know why no one locked it or warned me, is because there was no reason too. I am being polite, so please do not be over sensitive and let me speak my mind. I have read far far worse in the forums and never see and admin blink twice. But I say one bad thing about the PTL and now I am being warned for abuse. Wow.

PS - I am going also say I am not trolling. I am speaking my mind. I do not care if anyone responds to this post. But I should be allowed to say this without fear of being banned.

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Post by free-rebel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:02 pm

btw. ... if someone have not knowledge, someone dont know something about coding, about php, html ... if someone does not develope joomla or joomla extension, if someone does not post one post in forum ------ this does not mean he is not part of joomla community.
If someone buy 3rd part of extension and if someone build website with joomla - he is part of community and he help to joomla community .. How ? he bought extension, so developer can continue develop ... so joomla its not only to be a part of core joomla cms.
Everyone who use joomla is part of this community and he can write idea, he can complain, he can explain, he can say thank you , he is one of community.
if its free or not free - does not matter ...
... joomla 1.6 already arrived, so if users want to migrate or upgrade, its normal, bc. users wants use the newest soft. and they wants to use it now, why ? bc. its ready stable 1.6

:pop
moderators please dont write me msg, that I write something agains rules ...
I write inside this topic and this topic is not about php or template, this topic is about our saga :D
I m Rebel ...

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Post by free-rebel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:26 pm

btw. for me - I can not do nothing now, bc. I only starting do build some websites with joomla, but for sure I will not do it with 1.5, but I can not do it with 1.6, so I can wait and during waiting I can rush to developer to build extensions for 1.6 :pop
I m Rebel ...

keoni
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by keoni » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:41 am

I have a live joomla 1.5 site that is rather complex and a simpler site now under development that is not live yet.

I have been looking forward to Joomla 1.6 for some time and have done a lot of reading about it. I'm definitely not an experienced user, nor do I have any programming skills. Likely just your typical Joomla rather newbie user.

I knew that it would be some time before I was able to upgrade because many extensions were not yet 1.6 compatible and also I'm going to have to wait a while for my RT templates to be updated since both are older ones. So I'm in no rush to upgrade now. I can wait.

But it is worrisome to see some people say you don't need to upgrade if you are happy with 1.5. I am happy with 1.5 BUT I also know that in time I'll have to upgrade for a bunch of reasons. What they should be saying is that you don't need to upgrade NOW in many cases.

I'm sure the term upgrade to 1.6 and and migrate to 1.6 mean the same to a lot of non-technical users. I've learned the difference just this week by reading this forum.The migrations was a surprise to me.

So I'll wait until I have all the requirements (extensions, template, stable migration/upgrade method) before I try. I'm learning this is a difficult process and it will take time to perfect the migration tools. That's ok with me also although I know it is not ok for others.

What really bothers me about the process was the poor communication the day 1.6 was released. I looked at the joomla.org site for some comments on the upgrade process but didn't see anything. I looked again because it had to be there somewhere. I found nothing. Not a word.

I think that could have been handled better. I understand the developers' relief when that day came and 1.6 was out. Joy and relief in a great new version that they had toiled on for well over a year. They certainly deserved that for the countless hours they put into 1.6. But what about the 1.5 users? They deserved a few words.

Surely there could have been a small article that 1.6 is currently available for new users only. For those of you wishing to upgrade/migrate, hang in there, we'll have more to say officially in a few days or weeks or whatever time frame. I see today that an official post finally appeared about the migration process. I'd like to see that elaborated on as there are a number of unanswered questions and perhaps misinformation on the forum.

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:31 pm

[* spam *] wrote:
But it is worrisome to see some people say you don't need to upgrade if you are happy with 1.5. I am happy with 1.5 BUT I also know that in time I'll have to upgrade for a bunch of reasons. What they should be saying is that you don't need to upgrade NOW in many cases.

People have been saying you don't need to upgrade now. I know lots of forum posts have said you don't need to upgrade now, but recommend instead to wait for when migration makes sense and works for your specific situation, be that waiting for extensions, waiting for a migration tool that you like, or waiting for a site to be at a point where migration makes sense. Some won't have to migrate at all, but instead may need a total overhaul of a site and start from scratch with 1.6. It depends on the site in question as to what is best for that site individually.

1.5 will be supported for 15 months. That gives lots of time (over a year) to make decisions as to when and how to migrate, and lots of opportunity for the options available for everything to improve. The community keeps contributing to make Joomla! better for everyone. That is the way FOSS works.
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:56 am

red2678 wrote:This is a response to a few of the last posts at the thread http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 8#p2373038

I am sorry, but I am sick of the PTL using the excuse that this is free software. I am sick of some of users in this forum that think just because they helped developed a view for the weblinks component, that they now feel they are part of the PTL. I am sick of being told that I cannot voice my opinion because I am not part of the PTL. I understand SQL, PHP , HTML. I have been doing it for about 10+ years now (probably longer than of users in this forum and since Joomlas conception). I understand the issues with changing the SQL tables and fields. But it does not change the fact that a bottom-up approach should have been taken to 1.6 (and future releases of Joomla). Figuring out how to get sites from 1.5 -> 1.6 (and future upgrading) should really be figured out first, then get onto the NEW ADMIN template. As many posts backup what I am saying.

This is dam joke. It is like high school. If you do not want to listen to user concerns then you should not be on the PTL. THIS IS OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE, IT BELONGS TO THE COMMUNITY. WE ARE THE ONES THAT DRIVE THE DIRECTION OF THE SOFTWARE! Not the PTL!
Ok...so what have you done with your 10+ years to help the community?
Joomla Templates created by the Wright Framework.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him" - http://www.desiringgod.org/

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by red2678 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:51 am

I have used it and been part of a larger piece of the pie for a few years now. I am part of the groups of thousands of people that sell website based on this software. I have told hundreds if not thousands of people about it. I have helped it grow. I have shown people in these forums how to use it and in my own customer base, as well as just about anyone that asks me about web design, gets Joomla explained to them. I have stood by it when it goes thought massive change. One of my first CMS sites was built with Mambo (it’s still live but I dare not post the link ;] ), then onto 1.0 then to 1.5.

We are the largest part of this pie. The devs are there to build what the community asks for. That is what any software developer tries to do (please his target audience). Make no mistake I have nothing but respect for the sacrifice of their personal time. However, I will not have my opinion muffled because I do not hold a title. We are the community. We are the project.

And here is the result, posted today :]
•Migration to the July 2011 release - We are planning to implement a site importer in this release that will allow you to import your data from either Joomla! 1.5 or Joomla! 1.6.
And This
•As per the Development Strategy, we intend to manage change much more carefully moving forward. This, combined with our shortened release cycle means that upgrades and migrations will go a lot smoother.
Read Here: http://community.joomla.org/blogs/leade ... uture.html

I bow out. Please close this thread.

~Red

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:32 am

red2678 wrote:I have used it and been part of a larger piece of the pie for a few years now. I am part of the groups of thousands of people that sell website based on this software. I have told hundreds if not thousands of people about it. I have helped it grow. I have shown people in these forums how to use it and in my own customer base, as well as just about anyone that asks me about web design, gets Joomla explained to them. I have stood by it when it goes thought massive change. One of my first CMS sites was built with Mambo (it’s still live but I dare not post the link ;] ), then onto 1.0 then to 1.5.

We are the largest part of this pie. The devs are there to build what the community asks for. That is what any software developer tries to do (please his target audience). Make no mistake I have nothing but respect for the sacrifice of their personal time. However, I will not have my opinion muffled because I do not hold a title. We are the community. We are the project.

And here is the result, posted today :]
•Migration to the July 2011 release - We are planning to implement a site importer in this release that will allow you to import your data from either Joomla! 1.5 or Joomla! 1.6.
And This
•As per the Development Strategy, we intend to manage change much more carefully moving forward. This, combined with our shortened release cycle means that upgrades and migrations will go a lot smoother.
Read Here: http://community.joomla.org/blogs/leade ... uture.html

I bow out. Please close this thread.

~Red
So in your 10+ years of experience with "SQL, PHP , HTML" that's what you have done? Sounds like you have just been eating the popcorn :pop I am really not trying to be offensive here! My main point is instead of complaining about not having enough popcorn, start popping it.

Once again, no disrespect intended! ;)

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him" - http://www.desiringgod.org/

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by red2678 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:36 am

ROFL....sure buddy anything you say ;)

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:48 am

8)

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by red2678 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:22 pm

So, I just have to say it, I do not understand. In order for anyone to say anything about Joomla they must have developed some portion of it? Is that your logic? I have built over 60+ websites using Joomla. That is not enough for me to say something? You are saying I need to actually build a portion of Joomla...That is the lamest thing I have ever heard! There are a few core developers for Joomla. Sure the community can post bugs and try to post fixes. But if every Joe Dev built portions of Joomla code, there would be no continuity, no cohesion, different coding styles, etc, etc, etc, etc.

So let’s see. Maybe there are 10 actually core developers (I really don’t know the actually #)
But there are over 1,000,000+ websites currently using Joomla. So I wonder how many developers that is, hummmm lets say 100,000.

See I am part of the larger group. We are the ones that drive the directions of the CMS. Whether I built portions for it or not is irrelevant. We are the "end users." If we stop using the CMS there would be no one to dev for.

So please do not discount my position just because I have not developed for Joomla. I use it. I tell people about it. That is what the devs should want. People telling other people about how easy and user friendly Joomla is. But I am not sure that was happening. There was a lot of negative backlash from the lack of a core migration utility. And I am not alone. There are hundreds of people that were very upset about that decision. The posts in this forum will prove my point. The community spoke up and the PTL is now saying they will try to make migrations more smooth (see my above post). That is how open source software gets developed. The people who use it, but cannot develop, should have an equal voice in the development phase (equal to the ones that develop it). Why would the former's opinion be worth less? They are the majority.

You cannot expect everyone that voices an opinion to develop for Joomla first. Most of them can’t. That is why they use a product like Joomla (do you not understand that?)That is it. I am done…
Last edited by red2678 on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jenny
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by Jenny » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:47 pm

red2678 wrote:The people who actually use it are the ones that get speak up, not the ones that develop it.

**Un-subscribed***
You honestly think that the people that contribute in all areas of the project don't actually use Joomla? That the people on the development teams and production team don't actually use Joomla on a daily basis? And now you are saying those that contribute to development and those on the Dev Team and Production Team aren't allowed to speak up?

You have to be joking I think. Not one bit of that statement makes a lick of sense.
Co-author of the Official Joomla! Book http://officialjoomlabook.com
Marpo Multimedia http://marpomultimedia.com

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by red2678 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:10 pm

I can’t get away from this thread....@Jenny you are absolutely correct! I had not yet had my coffee and have edited my post to reflect what I was trying to say.

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Jenny wrote:You honestly think that the people that contribute in all areas of the project don't actually use Joomla? That the people on the development teams and production team don't actually use Joomla on a daily basis? And now you are saying those that contribute to development and those on the Dev Team and Production Team aren't allowed to speak up?

You have to be joking I think. Not one bit of that statement makes a lick of sense.
I don't think that is what he was trying to say. Of course the dev team uses Joomla for projects.

His response was in regards to the many posters on this thread that shot down any end-users who were voicing their opinion. red never complained about anyone voicing their opinion. Just because a person is only an end-user and not on the dev team, this doesn't mean they can't voice their opinion.

Yes the dev team uses Joomla as well but I think his point was that there are hundreds of thousands more end-users than there are people on the dev team. For the end-users to be called whiners and to be continuously belittled for voicing their opinion is downright childish and unproductive.

End users should be able to voice their opinion without be ridiculed or patronized.

You don't have to be on the dev team to contribute, so people stop asking stupid questions like "What have you don't for the dev team lately?". Everyone has their role in this project, including end-users. You don't have to contribute directly to the dev team to voice your opinion on the project.

A project that doesn't listen to their end-users is doomed to fail.

I know I for one have done plenty for this project and feel I have been belittled, ridiculed and patronized for my opinions on the "migration" path.

Obviously the dev team has listened according to the recent post at The Path Forward: Migration and the Future
Last edited by davetanguay on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPanel Web Hosting Services http://interactiveonline.com/shared-web-hosting
Follow us on Twitter @interactiveo

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by red2678 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:15 pm

@davetanguay

Bro you and me are on the same page!

+1

Thanks,

Red

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Post by free-rebel » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi ''blogers'' ;)

I think every post in forum, everyone post if its nice or use ''bad'' words its developing also ...
Bc. every noise, every word here in community develop joomla.
Does not matter if somebody write about php and htacces or somebody write how he is not satisfied with something, all these are like ''vote'' for something in joomla's future.
So be friendly, be polite ... we are on the same boat ... great boat called Joomla 1.6
... time for coffee :pop
I m Rebel ...

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:25 pm

red2678 wrote:So, I just have to say it, I do not understand. In order for anyone to say anything about Joomla they must have developed some portion of it? Is that your logic? I have built over 60+ websites using Joomla. That is not enough for me to say something? You are saying I need to actually build a portion of Joomla...That is the lamest thing I have ever heard! There are a few core developers for Joomla. Sure the community can post bugs and try to post fixes. But if every Joe Dev built portions of Joomla code, there would be no continuity, no cohesion, different coding styles, etc, etc, etc, etc.

So let’s see. Maybe there are 10 actually core developers (I really don’t know the actually #)
But there are over 1,000,000+ websites currently using Joomla. So I wonder how many developers that is, hummmm lets say 100,000.

See I am part of the larger group. We are the ones that drive the directions of the CMS. Whether I built portions for it or not is irrelevant. We are the "end users." If we stop using the CMS there would be no one to dev for.

So please do not discount my position just because I have not developed for Joomla. I use it. I tell people about it. That is what the devs should want. People telling other people about how easy and user friendly Joomla is. But I am not sure that was happening. There was a lot of negative backlash from the lack of a core migration utility. And I am not alone. There are hundreds of people that were very upset about that decision. The posts in this forum will prove my point. The community spoke up and the PTL is now saying they will try to make migrations more smooth (see my above post). That is how open source software gets developed. The people who actually use it are the ones that get speak up, not the ones that develop it.

You cannot expect everyone that voices an opinion to develop for Joomla first. Most of them can’t. That is why they use a product like Joomla (do you not understand that?)That is it. I am done…

**Un-subscribed***
Yeah, that is mostly what you are about isn't? Just have to complain and not seek to understand. You start by saying you do not understand, then go into your rant, and then unsubscribe from the topic? Real mature...

My point is that you need to quit boasting about your 10+ years of "SQL, PHP , HTML" experience and acting like you own the place. Nothing is owed to you! So what if you have built 60+ websites using Joomla? Do you know what that equals? It = "I have greatly profited commercially from a free cms, which not only is free to me, but has saved me hours, weeks, and months of work, that I likely could never do on my own anyway."

Yes, the community can post patches and they can also release 3rd party extensions on the JED for others to use as well. Let me take a wild guess and say that with your 10+ years of "SQL, PHP , HTML" experience you haven't done much of that, have you?

I am not discounting your position. I am discounting your complaining. I am not part of the development team either. I am solely part of the community. In fact, I am just a Joe Shmo, that hardly knows anything about HTML, PHP, and SQL and certainly don't have 10+ years of "SQL, PHP , HTML". I would have loved to have a migration script as well...and so would have the developers from what I have read.

Furthermore, this: http://community.joomla.org/blogs/leade ... uture.html

is not a result of your complaining, so quit "bowing out" and claiming your supposed result. Those things were all planned long before you started complaining.

Once again...I am not part of the development team and I am solely part of the community...so please don't act like you are the voice of the community.

8)

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:29 pm

And now I see you have resubscribed to the topic :eek:

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”