The best way to upgrade. is...

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
fampuero
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

The best way to upgrade. is...

Post by fampuero » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:28 am

NOT TO TRY IT, the best way o maybe the only way is :

install in a different subdir..

RECREATE ALL THE STRUCTURE, trust me you will thank me later..

then..

create a subdomain, pointing to your domain.

and BINGO!!...

brad
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: The best way to upgrade. is...

Post by brad » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:57 am

That is not going to be good at all in the long run for SEO purposes etc I'd suspect.
That being said, there is never going to be a way to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6. It's only going to be a migration.

What's wrong with your 1.5 site that makes you need to want to use 1.6 instead?

sungkhum
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by sungkhum » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:05 am

brad wrote:What's wrong with your 1.5 site that makes you need to want to use 1.6 instead?
Dude, do you ever use outdated stuff on a live site? Really? Joomla is a work in progress, it has many issues - and hopefully 1.6 has corrected some issues and made Joomla a better cms. I've never heard of anyone keeping an old version unless the new version SUCKED (like Windows Vista).

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:51 am

sungkhum wrote:Dude, do you ever use outdated stuff on a live site?
Who said 1.5 was outdated? 1.6 was just released THIS WEEK! Just because a new version of a software package is released doesn't automatically make an old version outdated. Look at Windows and Internet Explorer. You still got a lot of people using Windows XP and IE6 & 7, all of which could easily be considered outdated, especially since those software packages are off Microsoft's normal support with constant updates and now on long term support.

1.5 is going to be supported until April 2012. In fact, 1.6 I *think* will drop support before 1.5! Stick with 1.5, there is no rush to upgrade everyone's sites today.

red2678
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by red2678 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Who said 1.5 was outdated? 1.6 was just released THIS WEEK!
Wouldn't that make 1.5 an older version, hence, being outdated by the NEW version? And I am sorry everyone, this is not an OS, can we please leave references to IE/Windows out of this conversation that have absolutely no relevance.

@sungkhum I totally agree with you.

1.6 was supposed to make sites faster, more secure, offer more features, etc etc etc (see the change log ;]). That is why I want to upgrade, because they made is better. So:
there is no rush to upgrade everyone's sites today
That is your opinion. Why are you pushing in on everyone as if you know what is best for all users in this forum. I am sorry but you do, not speak for me .

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:57 pm

red2678 wrote:
Who said 1.5 was outdated? 1.6 was just released THIS WEEK!
Wouldn't that make 1.5 an older version, hence, being outdated by the NEW version? And I am sorry everyone, this is not an OS, can we please leave references to IE/Windows out of this conversation that have absolutely no relevance.
Technically, 1.5 is the older and outdated version by virtue of release of a new version. But that doesn't mean that it will disappear immediately. 1.0 sites are still out there. And yes, I know this isn't an OS, but quite honestly, it's the easiest comparison to come up with on the fly.
red2678 wrote:1.6 was supposed to make sites faster, more secure, offer more features, etc etc etc (see the change log ;]). That is why I want to upgrade, because they made is better.
I know this, I spent over half of the beta period fixing bugs, testing features, and helping to make 1.6 better ;-) I also understand that people want to upgrade because of these new features. I'm not trying to tell anyone NOT to upgrade, and if it sounds like I am, then I apologize.
red2678 wrote:
there is no rush to upgrade everyone's sites today
That is your opinion. Why are you pushing in on everyone as if you know what is best for all users in this forum. I am sorry but you do, not speak for me .
I'm not trying to push in like I know best. I speak my own opinion, and it will differ from your's or anyone else's on this forum. All my statement is saying is that just because 1.6 is out doesn't mean that everyone needs to upgrade now or their site is going to go offline. As one of those who spent quite a bit of time working on 1.6 while in Beta, I want to see people use it. I've been beginning my own work on migration for my own site as well. But I firmly believe that if you're trying to upgrade just because 1.6 is the new shiny toy, then you need to double check your priorities.

onajunket
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by onajunket » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:58 pm

mbabker wrote:But I firmly believe that if you're trying to upgrade just because 1.6 is the new shiny toy, then you need to double check your priorities.
I want to play with the new toy. I played with 1.5 and loved it....but now that 1.6 is out and offers more features (something simple as Meta in categories), and the redirects...and being able to move away from inferior and bulky extensions (e.g., SEO ones..not naming any)...that new toy is looking better and better. But when do i get to play with it? who knows? but the other kids get to play with it, the ones that haven't been with joomla for two years...

boo hoo...joomla has denied me for being loyal.... :'(

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Download it. Play with it. Nothing is stopping you from making it work. You want your data though, and the cool extensions. That part, we can't give you yet.

The point I'm trying to make, and probably failing miserably at, is that just because it is new does not mean you absolutely have to upgrade today. If the features that are present in 1.6 are items that your site needs, and you can go without a bulk of the extensions available for 1.5, then by all means, get your site running on 1.6. The most reliable migration method right now is to manually do it, and nobody wants to hear that as an answer. Nobody wants to hear that the core team elected not to include a migration method either. jUpgrade is available, but it has its issues and isn't reliable.

I'm kinda eager to migrate myself. I might be able to do so myself using information in jUpgrade and manually applying the changes. I have two extensions on my site though that I'm not aware of a 1.6 ready version. So, I'm holding off for now.

goslingcools
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by goslingcools » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:33 am

Joomla 1.5 is as stable, with all (tested) components, modules & plugins developed for it, as it gets!

Joomla 1.6 has just been released. I'll wait at least 6 months before using it on live sites. ;-)
Gosling Cools | COBIZ webdevelopment | http://www.cobiz.nl

unix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by unix » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:34 am

goslingcools wrote:Joomla 1.5 is as stable, with all (tested) components, modules & plugins developed for it, as it gets!

Joomla 1.6 has just been released. I'll wait at least 6 months before using it on live sites. ;-)
6 months? or 2 years!?
Software is like sex, it's better when it's free!

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 2.5”