Installation DB Syntax Error *SOLVED*

Joomla version 1.5 is end-of-life and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
midimaxum
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Installation DB Syntax Error *SOLVED*

Post by midimaxum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:34 pm

Hello,

I am having issues installing Joomla 1.5.22

After the database step of the installation, I get the following error...

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'textCHARACTER SET `utf8`' at line 29 SQL=CREATE TABLE `jos_banner` ( `bid` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment, `cid` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `type` varchar(30) NOT NULL default 'banner', `name` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `alias` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `imptotal` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `impmade` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `clicks` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `imageurl` varchar(100) NOT NULL default '', `clickurl` varchar(200) NOT NULL default '', `date` datetime default NULL, `showBanner` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0', `checked_out` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0', `checked_out_time` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `editor` varchar(50) default NULL, `custombannercode` text, `catid` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `description` TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `sticky` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `ordering` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `publish_up` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `publish_down` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `tags` TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `params` TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', PRIMARY KEY (`bid`), KEY `viewbanner` (`showBanner`), INDEX `idx_banner_catid`(`catid`) ) textCHARACTER SET `utf8`

I understand there is another post relating to this error on the boards (Here: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p=2364481), but the solution was only invloving WAMP server.

I am running Windows Server 2008, with MySQL 5.5.8 installed. I was able to install Joomla 1.6 fine, but have to go back a version because of template issues.

Has anyone else had this problem, and did you find a solution?

Thank you!
Last edited by midimaxum on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

kurchania
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Installation DB Syntax Error

Post by kurchania » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:45 pm

hi midimaxum,
check this
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 0#p2375460
you can try dpacadmin solution or my solution.

Regards
Abhijeet
abhijeet kurchania
The future depends on what you do today

midimaxum
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by midimaxum » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:20 pm

I have seen this fix before and have tried to do it, but "TYPE=MyISAM;"
nor "ENGINE = MyISAM" are to be found in either document. I tried searching with and without spaces, by individual words in the bits of code, and even looking through each line and there's nothing there. Any ideas?

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 pm

You are using a version of MySQL that no longer recognizes TYPE. I have updated a joomla.sql file that you can use to install with. Replace the file here;

\installation\sql\mysql\joomla.sql

with the updated one I am attaching.
joomla.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

midimaxum
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by midimaxum » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:52 am

Thank you so much, dpacadmin! This worked perfectly!

kurchania
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Re: Installation DB Syntax Error *SOLVED*

Post by kurchania » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:47 am

hi dpacadmin,
is it any new solution from my solution?
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 0#p2375460
just curious to know.
abhijeet kurchania

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi kurchania,
Same thing I just did the search and replace for them, some people are not familiar with the procedure.

DonPhil
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by DonPhil » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:23 pm

Poor Joomla that such a mistake happens in a stable version.
I got problems with my boss because he meant I am unable to do my work, but the mainproblem is actually with Joomla or XAMPP.

spudler_t
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Installation DB Syntax Error (not Solved for me)

Post by spudler_t » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:28 am

Hi I seem to have the same issue except I checked the joomla.sql file and I currently have the one posted here and I still get this message

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=MyISAM CHARACTER SET `utf8`' at line 29 SQL=CREATE TABLE `jos_banner` ( `bid` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment, `cid` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `type` varchar(30) NOT NULL default 'banner', `name` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `alias` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', `imptotal` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `impmade` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `clicks` int(11) NOT NULL default '0', `imageurl` varchar(100) NOT NULL default '', `clickurl` varchar(200) NOT NULL default '', `date` datetime default NULL, `showBanner` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0', `checked_out` tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0', `checked_out_time` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `editor` varchar(50) default NULL, `custombannercode` text, `catid` INTEGER UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `description` TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `sticky` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `ordering` INTEGER NOT NULL DEFAULT 0, `publish_up` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `publish_down` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00', `tags` TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `params` TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', PRIMARY KEY (`bid`), KEY `viewbanner` (`showBanner`), INDEX `idx_banner_catid`(`catid`) ) TYPE=MyISAM CHARACTER SET `utf8`

I am attempting to install on a Local Host on my computer with Vista 64 Home Premium (all Updates installed)

Apache/2.2.17 (Win32) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8o PHP/5.3.4 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1
MySQL client version: mysqlnd 5.0.7-dev - 091210 - $Revision: 304625 $
PHP extension: mysql

Server: localhost via TCP/IP
Server version: 5.5.8
Protocol version: 10
User: root@localhost
MySQL charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

I hope I have provided all the info I read about in the read before posting thread.
I really would like to get this solved as it is killing my ability to get my web site operational
I almost forgot I am using Joomla 1.5.22 Stable Full Package zip

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:45 am

You need to replace all
TYPE=MyISAM
with
ENGINE=MyISAM
in your joomla.sql file. The error says you still have some TYPE=MyISAM in your sql file.

spudler_t
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by spudler_t » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:42 am

Hmm I will look again to make sure.
Freaking Sweeet. It worked. I uninstalled everything and made sure I got the latest versions I could. I know i did that on my last file but it still had isssues.
Thanks so much you rule :)

Lanchek
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Lanchek » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:19 pm

dpacadmin wrote:You are using a version of MySQL that no longer recognizes TYPE. I have updated a joomla.sql file that you can use to install with. Replace the file here;

joomla.rar

I went through so much trouble, and the solution was so simple ;)

anyway, thank youuuu :D

doing007
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by doing007 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks, It is working for me

beenie88
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by beenie88 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:19 pm

dpacadmin/ kurchania I just want to say thank you both so much. This bug has been driving me mad for a long time and you finally helped me to fix it :) thanks so so much keep up the good work :)

Gauranga_1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gauranga_1 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:29 am

Still not working for me. I replaced the file but still get lots of errors. Is there no easy way to install Joomla on localhost? I thought the problem is with me but it seems increasingly that it is a Joomla bug.

Basically I am looking for an easy way to install Joomla on localhost. I will be teaching a Joomla beginners class at college where students can install and run a Joomla localhost installation from their USB stick. I am not particularly hung up on XAMPP. Any local Apache server will do, however, I have the feeling things will be not much different with WAMP I suppose.

Another alternative might be to install JumpBox and run the installation from there. Anyone had any experience with this? They want ones credit card details though and one can unsubscribe within 15 days and will not be charged. It sounds a bit complicated to ask absolute beginners students to go to that length when teaching a course.

Anyone has any idea for installing Joomla manually on in local environment which is easy to set up. Any help in this would be much appreciated.

Gauranga

mandingueiro
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by mandingueiro » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks, worked like a charm!
dpacadmin wrote:You are using a version of MySQL that no longer recognizes TYPE. I have updated a joomla.sql file that you can use to install with. Replace the file here;

joomla.rar

Gauranga_1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gauranga_1 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi

Doesn't work! I can proceed through all the installation screens but after removing the installation directory I get literally hundreds of errors.

What to do???

PS Your joomla.rar is not showing as downloadable file. I have seen this solution before and downloaded the file but it doesn't work. Maybe you can attach another instance of this joomla.rar and I will try again.

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:57 pm

The file still downloads, I just tested it. The errors could be because you are using Xampp which leaves error reporting on by default.
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 0#p2415410
Also set Display_Errors to off in the php.ini file.

I still recommend WampServer2.0i as it has an older version of php and MySQL and does not have the ENGINE issue or the strict error/warning issue, an older version of Xampp will not have these issues either.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wampser ... e/download

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/f ... ows/1.7.1/

Gauranga_1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gauranga_1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:39 am

dpacadmin

Thank you so much for all your support. I have finally cracked the problem. I had to do the following:

Edit the php.ini and turn off display_errors as you suggested. By default it is turned on as you said.

Edit/replace joomla.sql and write ENGINE=MyISAM instead of TYPE=MyISAM.

Both these steps made Joomla go properly through the installation process and installed it properly on localhost.

Overall I am much surprised that such problems could occur in a stable Joomla package. This is certainly a problem for non-developers as myself. Developers will more easily bypass these obstacles as they have a lot more knowledge about databases, php etc. In any case I am happy I managed the installation. This would not have been possible without your and others help. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart. I should have asked for help much earlier instead of spending so much time trying to solve the problem on my own. Altogether I have learned some important lessons for which I am grateful.

Gauranga

dpacadmin
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by dpacadmin » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:18 am

Glad to hear you were able to sort it out :)

ozstar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Installation DB Syntax Error *SOLVED*So

Post by ozstar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:28 am

I too chose the latest of all the programs from Wamperserver to Joomla 1.5.22 but have spent hours trying to get them to work. I even chnaged the phgo back to 5.2. instread of 5.3 which I know is a problem with older scripts.

So where does the problem lay..

Is is Joomla not compatible to the latest Wampserver or is it Wampserver not compatible to the latest mySQl or php or something else. It should be set as a sticky as it seems so many are in trouble here.

Thanks

oz

Gauranga_1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gauranga_1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Oz

To me it appears that Joomla is not compatible with the latest MySQL version. This makes it incompatible with the later XAMPP or WAMP versions which both use the latest MySQL.

Gauranga

Gauranga_1
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Gauranga_1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:22 pm

I got this today. It sheds some light onto the problem:

"Well I would not blame Joomla on this. There is a bug entry on the Joomla tracker for this and it is specially related to mysql 5.5 – and a really very small percentage of people are using mysql 5.5 . I think that with Joomla 1.5.23 everything will be back to normal."

Gauranga

ozstar
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by ozstar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks guys. But is there a 23?

Is that not 1.6?

I have changed back to wamp 2.0 but still got the problem.

Changed the joomla.SQL file but now can't change name of or delete the instalation folder.
It say it can't find the index.pup file .

It is driving me nuts just trying to getgoing with joomla.

Thanks again guys

Oz

indrajitch
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by indrajitch » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:14 am

Folks -

Have a look at these two threads:

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=429&t=583829
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?p ... 6#p2408936

you might get a solution.. it did solve mine !

-Indrajit

kurchania
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by kurchania » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:24 am

hi ozstar,
Thanks guys. But is there a 23?
Is that not 1.6?
joomla 1.6 is different species and joomla 1.5 is different species.huge difference in both framework
Is is Joomla not compatible to the latest Wampserver or is it Wampserver not compatible to the latest mySQl or php or something else. It should be set as a sticky as it seems so many are in trouble here.
mysql change its syntax in recent mysql from type to engine.
I have changed back to wamp 2.0 but still got the problem.
wamp 2.0 have normal installation process and you don't need to update joomla.sql for wamp2.0
It say it can't find the index.pup file .
It is driving me nuts just trying to getgoing with joomla.
you need to rename installation folder first.or be more specific about your problem
abhijeet kurchania

krentzis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by krentzis » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:25 am

check the /administrator after applying this solution.

it has hundreds of errors and warnings!!!!

any solution to that please?

kurchania
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by kurchania » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:38 am

abhijeet kurchania

hobbis
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by hobbis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:01 pm

@dpacadmin Thank you very much for you solution. Very helpful :)

@kurchania Also many thanks for your contribution.

Cheers

brevetee
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by brevetee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:45 am

Thanks guys... the .rar file worked for me.
Chris.

Return to “Installation 1.5”