migrate joomla 1.5 to joomla 1.6

This board for support questions on Joomla 1.6 RC (= Release Candidate - which should NOT be used on a production server) is NO longer active because Joomla 1.6.0 has been released.

>> For Joomla! 1.6 Support Questions, please use http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=614 instead <<
free-rebel
I've been banned!

Re: migrate joomla 1.5 to joomla 1.6

Post by free-rebel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:44 pm

anyways .... users can not wait for upgrade or migrate from 1.5 to 1.6
Why ? bc. more users using 1.6 more extension for 1.6
if nobody will use 1.6, who will develope extension ? Developer need big community, that they decide to develop something really good.
Developer cannot develope extension and wait one year, when big community will migratie to 1.6, so also developer need more and more users migrate to 1.6, the same joomla developer for reporting bugs ...
So people ... do how you want, but migrade, upgrade do it anyways, but do it :pop tralala
I m Rebel ...

boomer21
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by boomer21 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Am I disappointed that I wont be able to upgrade to 1.6? Yes.
Will I compliain? No

I joined the development team about 3 months ago and helped with the last few betas and RC1. To include an upgrader in this release would overtax what resources we have to have successfully released 1.6 in a timely and efficent manner. I wish I could have helped with the coding, but I am no where near experience enough to do it, so the time I spent testing and handling the tracker issues, I think, was well spent. I cannot wait for 1.7 to come out.
JBS Member

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:29 pm

masterchief wrote:
red2678 wrote:Is that how you respond to user concerns? Seems to be the norm....
Users have a right to be concerned, and many of those concerns have directly shaped 1.6 and I've even personally coded some of them, but when you are getting something for free from someone else's efforts, you also have certain responsibilities. I don't like the fact that we don't have a core upgrade path, but we made a decision back in October '10 for that not to block the release (and we'd made numerous calls prior to that for a team to assemble to own that work). People have had 2 months to contribute to that and so far only one person to my knowledge, with very little help and to his credit, has taken up the challenge in any serious capacity. As I said, now that 1.6 is out I'll be able to allocate some time to that and hopefully others who are capable will follow suit.

So I *do* listen to user concerns but I'm less tolerant of people that are not concerned about who actually has to do the work, as long as they get it for nothing. The effort just to get 1.6 to this place was simply enormous and the migrator project is no trivial offering (to be honest, in hindsight I think the migrator side of things should always be a separate project from the main development arm, but that's something to brainstorm about another time). It's a pain in the backside we couldn't get one into core for yesterday's release, and believe me I do feel "how could I have done even more", but them's the brakes. Reasonable people, I think, can accept when you are dealing with a volunteer workforce, you aren't going to get what you want sometimes and they also realise that when they do get what they want, something else has been sacrificed to get it. No point in having a migration path if 1.6 is completely unusable.
+84

Any chance we can lock and sticky this discussion? There are lot of good posts in the discussion and it would be valuable to keep it around, however it's starting to go in circles now.
Joomla Templates created by the Wright Framework.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him" - http://www.desiringgod.org/

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully this will help someone out:
http://docs.joomla.org/Tutorial:Migrati ... Joomla_1.6

We still need a lot of community contribution. You can see some ways you can help at the bottom of the wiki.

Kind regards,
Nick

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in Him" - http://www.desiringgod.org/

severdia
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by severdia » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:48 pm

unworthyslave wrote: Hopefully this will help someone out:
http://docs.joomla.org/Tutorial:Migrati ... Joomla_1.6

We still need a lot of community contribution. You can see some ways you can help at the bottom of the wiki.
This great and shows how easy the upgrade process is. Thanks, Nick!
Author | Speaker | Mad Scientist
Author of Using Joomla from O'Reilly Media | http://www.usingjoomlabook.com/
Shakespeare and Joomla | http://www.playshakespeare.com

masterchief
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by masterchief » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:42 pm

For reference:
"Using jUpgrade to Migrate from 1.5 to 1.6"
http://www.[youtube].com/watch?v=cAufYW9SBm8
Andrew Eddie - Tweet @AndrewEddie
<><
http://eddify.me
http://www.kiva.org/team/joomla - Got Joomla for free? Pay it forward and help fight poverty.

thelostswede
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by thelostswede » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Except for the fact that it doesn't work if your database for some reason doesn't use the jos_ prefix, mine uses joom_ for whatever reason, I don't know why and it was set up with Simple Scripts about a year and a half ago, so it's not as if I could've predicted this little dilemma which is now preventing me from migrating to 1.6...

deleted user

Post by deleted user » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:28 pm

It's a work in progress to un-hard code the prefix into jUpgrade. You can manually define the prefix in the admin component's includes/jupgrade.class.php file on line 96, replacing jos with your prefix.

bzsolt
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by bzsolt » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi Guys!

Nice party here. :)

Let me share my story:
Approx. 2 weeks ago (which was approx. 2 weeks after I migrated from j1 to j1.5) I got an alert email from cpanel/installatron to upgrade to j1.6. Now I knew that 1.6 is coming but... you know... That wasn't a big orgasm. Then I went to the official 1.6 page and there was not a single word about migration. :o Google wasn't much of a help neither...

I spent the last 2 hrs reading this topic and other articles and I feel much lighter (not yet floating, no) but still don't know whether there will be 1.5.23, 24, etc versions. ???

Thanks, and keep up the good work & remember war is about money, money and money. Projects are about planning planning and planning. And the last planning can be replaced by communication. :)

bests!

free-rebel
I've been banned!

Post by free-rebel » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:26 pm

bzsolt wrote:Hi Guys!

Nice party here. :)

Let me share my story:
Approx. 2 weeks ago (which was approx. 2 weeks after I migrated from j1 to j1.5)
:pop

really nice, so approx. after 2 weeks from now, you will be called ''migration profesional'' ;)
I m Rebel ...

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:47 am

bzsolt wrote: I spent the last 2 hrs reading this topic and other articles and I feel much lighter (not yet floating, no) but still don't know whether there will be 1.5.23, 24, etc versions. ???
Joomla 1.5 will continue to be supported for another year and three months :)

Tonie
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Tonie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:27 pm

Joomla 1.5 will be going into maintenance mode. This means that there will be less frequest releases, mostly used for any security issues that are found.

SageMan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by SageMan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:08 pm

davetanguay wrote:
severdia wrote:As a webhost, you shouldn't be put in the position of auto-upgrading websites. I won't tell you how to run your business, but I think it's something outside the scope of what a normal webhost normally does.
Yeah that is what I thought years ago when we started getting a lot of Joomla and WordPress sites on our servers.... but that just isn't the case anymore. When new security releases were available for Joomla and WordPress we'd inform customers of the upgrade and told them they were mandatory. 95% of customers never upgraded and we had all sorts Joomla and WordPress sites get hacked due to them still running old versions. The hacked customers were pretty much clueless as to how it happened... most ignored the notices we sent.

This not only affected their site but the entire server. The entire server wasn't hacked, but the hacked sites usually caused load issues from the hacker or got us listed on some RBLs which affected all customers on the server... so now we do consider CMS upgrades our responsibility if we can do them easily.

If you're a host and don't think it is your responsibility to keeping scripts updated, think again unless you want to deal with hacked sites and server abuse issues later down the road.
I completely agree about needing to have upgrades done by the host. I found the exact same thing... most ignore the security notices. Actually, most of my clients don't even know they are using a CMS. They just know there is a website and they can edit a page or two.

But, even the tech-savvy that can manually edit mysql tables seem to let security patches lapse.

As a responsible host, my job is to make sure the servers are secure and optimized for everyone. Since I am not a discount host, I take care of it for most sites. Those sites that have extra extensions may get a charge if the upgrade requires fixing a broken script. Basically, anything that requires me to manually fix their site for whatever reason will require a charge.

The site owners have a choice. Accept my policy of upgrades and security, or host elsewhere for much cheaper.

It is also their choice to migrate to 1.6 at this time, and the need to deal with 'broken' extensions and templates.

Brian
Brian Shea - Seven Sages Website Management
If I posted more, I could use this signature to increase my ranking in google to my websites, like GetMyFamilyName.com, and maybe Go-7s.com.

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:17 am

I just hope they are paying you Brian, because that is a lot of work!

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:49 am

unworthyslave wrote:I just hope they are paying you Brian, because that is a lot of work!
If they are just core upgrades, they don't take long at all if you use Installatron on a cPanel server. Except of course "migrations" like 1.0 > 1.5 > 1.6 but those are not security releases anyways. Migrations are left up to the customer.

With core upgrades, you can do a server-wide upgrade within WHM > Installatron.

1 server takes about 1-2 hours but it is well worth it in my opinion. We've had to deal with far less hacked sites on our servers due to the sites running old versions of open source scripts like Joomla and WordPress.

Yes sites still get hacked due to customers using old third party Joomla extensions (amongst other reasons like weak passwords, local computer viruses, etc) but by keeping up with the core upgrades for free, it has decreased the numbers of sites that hacked.

We had previously tried to inform customers that they were running old vulnerable scripts and gave them a chance to upgrade. We offered to do core upgrades for $25 upgrade fee and that we would proceed with the upgrade in 2 weeks if we didn't hear back from them. We tried this approach, but 95% of customers didn't even respond to the support ticket we opened requesting them to upgrade or approve the $25 upgrade fee.

We waited 2 weeks, performed the upgrades and invoiced them $25.

Most of those customers were pissed, never paid the $25 and canceled their hosting account.

We have found keeping up with the core upgrades for customers (for free) has made our customers happy and decreased the amount of sites that get hacked.

We consider it a valued added service other shared hosting providers do not provide.

I'm not sure how the larger hosts handle core upgrades of open source scripts, but my prediction is they leave it up to the customer. This leads me to believe they have more hacked sites per server in a given year than a host that does offer free core upgrades.
CPanel Web Hosting Services http://interactiveonline.com/shared-web-hosting
Follow us on Twitter @interactiveo

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:10 am

The larger hosts I have worked with leave it up to the customer, yes.

One issue of updating all the accounts via whm is if they had modified any of the core files (which they shouldn't have, but a lot of people still do frequently), all of modification will be lost.

Another issue is that some 3rd party extensions can break with newer version (although rare).

Have you ever encountered any such issues to date? Just curious ???

davetanguay
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by davetanguay » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:45 am

unworthyslave wrote:The larger hosts I have worked with leave it up to the customer, yes.

One issue of updating all the accounts via whm is if they had modified any of the core files (which they shouldn't have, but a lot of people still do frequently), all of modification will be lost.

Another issue is that some 3rd party extensions can break with newer version (although rare).

Have you ever encountered any such issues to date? Just curious ???
We've only had 2 customers complain (of about 2,600) in regards to keeping their scripts upgraded so we whitelisted them from our "process".

Also during the Installatron server-wide upgrade it does a backup of each individual install before it upgrades them. We also do daily, weekly, monthly and a remote backups so we can restore data if the upgrade causes problems.

I wouldn't say a lot of people change the core files. I would say very few do. With the thousands of Joomla upgrades I have done via Installatron in the past year we've only had those 2 complaints. All other installs didn't have any problems.

The majority of Joomla users we host are not modifying the core files.
CPanel Web Hosting Services http://interactiveonline.com/shared-web-hosting
Follow us on Twitter @interactiveo

Nick Savov
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by Nick Savov » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:56 am

That's pretty cool to hear! :)

aftertaf
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by aftertaf » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:04 pm

I am impatient to test 1.6, but mostly use Joomla! for virtuemart, which is in 2.0 beta so won't be usable/compatible for my needs for a while.

As soon as there's a 1.6 compatible version out, i'm going to
-backup my existing...
-inplace test-upgrade with jUpgrade (which is you read the docs leaves your 1.5 functional and gives you a subfolder to test away)
-do the virtuemart upgrade on 1.6, while my 1.5 is still working....
-test, test, test.

This is how open source goes. I have learned to live with my frustration that features are 'missing' or weren't considered necessary. Someone else thinks its needed and makes it exist by writing it.
The best service we can do to thaks all these manhours that bring us joomla!, the extensions, etc,etc... is test them and give back feedback.
This is how things get improved.

I'm not judging anyone, but please don't whine : if you're technically able to, test and test away.
David

jrkahrhoff
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by jrkahrhoff » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Great thread! I appreciate all the perspectives - thanks for sharing everyone!

I will wait for some of the extensions to come up to speed, but I love how 1.6 looks and feels! Great job Joomla!!

I am bookmarking this thread;)

John

Return to “Joomla! 1.6 RC Support [closed]”