detailed step-by-step installation to integrate SMF and CPG into Joomla

Discuss the integration of Joomla! with other products. ie SMF, phpbb etc etc

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
EBG
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

detailed step-by-step installation to integrate SMF and CPG into Joomla

Post by EBG » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:21 pm

Hello everybody

Here you will find a detailed step-by-step installation instruction to integrate SMF and CPG into Joomla (embedding) where user

management is located in SMF only (automaticly same users data in all three components).

some notes before:
I was not able to install CPG to Joomla without SMF (user login kept separate). Therefore I installed all three components (this makes

sense anyway).
Installation is very easy since I know what to do. I picked over lots of hints and examples of many forums last weeks which mostly turned out to be wrong, incomplete or obsolete. Most time it took to find out if it was a death-end or not.

Please observe that all components require the (actual) newest releases. These are:
- Joomla 1.0.3 (basic CMS)
- SMF 1.1 RC1 (user forum)
- CPG 1.4.1 beta (picture gallery - newest CSV from 6th of October)

Because I was not using any CMS before this is a bottom up installation which uses a 'clean' database (if required drop all existing Mambo/Joomla,SMF and CPG tables).
If you want to upgrade/update your allready existing CMS there may be many more problems i did not care.

If your webhoster allows only 'SAFE MODE = ON' (i.e. STRATO) you will have a big problem.
In spite of this you principally will be able to install Joomla, but it will be impossible to make all kind of direct installation of components, modules, languages, themes, etc. from the backend.
In addition all workarounds by using an 'SafeModePatch' will fail because all Mambo-SafeModePatches are incompatible to Joomla and a Joomla-SafeModePatch does not exist).
But if the patch would exist it will not work, too (this is i.e. with STRATO), because the rigths of using a 'PHP FTP upload' are disabled, too (a few month ago it was enabled only in PHP5 but now disabled all versions).

Fore hard core freaks there is another way to live with 'SAFE MODE = ON': Develope the complete CMS on a local test server (with 'SAFE MODE = OFF') an then upload all files and database(s) and then debug the system relevant entries. Disadvantage: a fixed system cou can not change (without downloading/changing/uploading again). I can not recommend to try this way (I did first).

The really best way to handle the problem is to change the webhoster (as I will do)!

Anywere I recommand to install your CMS onto a local server first (I have an XAMPP installation there), because it is easier and quicker to handle. Later it will uploaded to the URL.

In the description I use 'server" (in italics) for my local server name, but if want to install directly to your webhoster you may enter your URL here.
All names in italics are depending on your webhosters guideline or on your own decision.

Maybe that there are many ways to install - the discriped is my way only - and it works with my system/webhoster. There is no guaranty that is has to work with yours, too.

I have attached this all as a Word document, too, for better printout.

OK so far - lets begin!
IMPORTANT: Please read all, before yu start installing !!!

A) JOOMLA INSTALLATION

1. If not existing create a new database 'database' on your local server (i.e. use phpMyAdmin)

2. Create a local installation directory 'joomla' on your local working PC (use always lower letters and no special characters - except '_').

3. Download all listed components from net to an separate 'download' directory
- Joomla_1.0.2-Stable-Full_Package.tar (i.e. get all from: http://www.joomla.de/)
- Joomla_1.0.2_to_1.0.3-Stable-Patch_Package.tar
- JOOMLA_german_1.0.3_stable_joomlaGTT.zip (or any other laguage file if required - english is default onboard)
I just learned, that there is a full version 1.0.3 now, too. So there is no need to do the steps of patching any longer!

4. Extract Joomla_1.0.2-Stable-Full_Package.tar to your local 'joomla' and upload the whole directory to your local server with Explorer in local net or if directly to your URL i.e. use FileZilla (as I recommend).

5. Enter your webbrowser and select 'http://server/joomla/index.php' and you will get the standard joomla installation form and continue as usual.
- If SAFE MODE is ON switch is off in your local server configuration and retry (all other recommended setting seems not to be a must).
- If any of the required directory permissions is not 'writeable' please change the rights (CMOD set to 777 - use i.e. FileZilla file/dir properties) and retry.
- Enter the database configuration (with your own parameters) where database is 'database'
- Let the table prefix be 'jos_' and 'install sample table' to YES (default).
- Enter a site name as you like (i.e. 'Test Site'.
- In last form enter any mail address (but not yours !!!, because finally this will not be your admin account - i.e.'[email protected]) and do not forget to enter a new password! Do not change any other default there.
- At last then delete the direction '\\server\joomla\installation'.

6. Extract Joomla_1.0.2_to_1.0.3-Stable-Patch_Package.tar and upload all countaining dirs/files to your Joomla directory on the local server.

7. If you would like to do, you may install another language i.e. from JOOMLA_german_1.0.3_stable_joomlaGTT.zip using Joomla backend (but it must be version 1.0.3 !).

B) SMF INSTALLATION

1. Create a local installation directory 'smf' on your local working PC (use always lower letters and no special characters - except '_').

2. Download all listed components from net to an separate 'download' directory
- smf_1-0-5_install.zip (i.e. get all from: http://www.simplemachines.org)
- smf_1-1-rc1_update.tar
- smf_1-1-rc1_german.zip (or any other laguage file if required - english is default onboard)

3. Extract smf_1-0-5_install.zip to your local 'smf' and upload the whole directory to your local server with Explorer in local net or if directly to your URL i.e. use FileZilla (as I recommend).

4. Enter your webbrowser and select 'http://server/smf/install.php' and you will get the standard smf installation form and continue as usual.
- Database name must the same you used with Joomla !!!.
- Enter the database configuration (with your own parameters)
- Let the table prefix be 'smf_' (default as all other parameters).
- Enter a forum name as you like (i.e. 'Test Forum'.
- In last form enter the temporary admin name 'adminsmf' and any mail address (but not yours !!! and not the one you used for Joomla

before !!!, because finally this will not be your admin account - i.e.'[email protected]).
- At last take care that the file 'install.php' is deleted in \\server\smf.

5. If you would like to do, you may install another language (i.e. smf_1-1-rc1_german.zip) by extraxting and uploading into your SMF directory on the local server (but it must be version 1-1-rc1 !).

6. Extract smf_1-1-rc1_update.tar and upload all countaining dirs/files to your SMF directory on the local server.

7. Enter your webbrowser and select 'http://server/smf/upgrade.php' and you will get the standard smf upgrade form and continue as usual.
- Let the parameters on the 1st page as default
- On 2nd page select 'Delete this upgrade.php and its data files now'

C) CPG INSTALLATION

1. Create a local installation directory 'cpg' on your local working PC (use always lower letters and no special characters - except '_').

2. Download all listed components from net to an separate 'download' directory
- CPG_141_CVS_DEVEL_JOOMBLA.zip (get from http://www.joombla.com)
- german.php (or any other laguage file if required - english is default onboard. Take care that this is a reworked one, get from http://www.joombla.com in forum topic: Working and Supported Languages Here - Until CPG official release)

3. Extract CPG_141_CVS_DEVEL_JOOMBLA.zip to your local 'cpg'

4. Delete all language files in 'cpg/lang' on your local working PC except 'english.php' !!!

5. If you need foreign languages please copy i.e. german.php to 'cpg/lang'. WARNING: If you are not sure that the language file is not up to date ('my' german.php is!) you must not use it!!! Otherwise you will have some bad problems (i.e. blanc screen or empty

configuration).

6. Upload the whole CPG installation directory to your local server with Explorer in local net or if directly to your URL i.e. use FileZilla (as I recommend).

7. Check that the folder 'album' and include has CHMOD=777

8. Enter your webbrowser and select 'http://server/cpg/index.php' and you will get the standard CPG installation form and continue as usual.
- Database name must the same you used with Joomla/SMF !!!.
- Enter the database configuration (with your own parameters)
- Let the table prefix be 'cpg_'.
- I did not install/use ImageMagick (I use GD2)
- Enter the temporary admin name 'admincpg' and any mail address (but not yours !!! and not the one you used for Joomla or SMF before

!!!, because finally this will not be your admin account - i.e.'[email protected]).

9. login as  administrator (admincpg) and go to CPG configuration. You must set 'Allow new user registrations' in 'User settings' to YES.

Otherwise user from Joomla/SMF will not be able to login for CPG (later in embedded mode) !!! Then logout again.

D) SMF INTEGRATION

1. Download all listed components from net to an separate 'download' directory
- com_joomla_smf_forum_1.0.1b.zip
- mod_smf_login_1.1.zip
- both zip files are located in 'JoomlaSMFForum_1.0.1b.zip' ! (get from: http://mamboforge.net)

2. Enter your webbrowser and select our Joomla 'http://server/joomla/index.php' and login at administrator as 'admin'.

3. In the backend install the component com_joomla_smf_forum_1.0.1b.zip (installers/components/search for zip file/upload file & install/continue after success).

4. Select menu item "Components/Joomla-SMF Forum/Configuration"
- There you see some light red remarks - that has to be reworked by the following actions:
  SMF Absolute Path: change '' to 'smf'
  SMF Database Prefix: 'smf_'
- Then you should save the 1st time and look what is light red any longer.
- Maybe you must make all writeable if there is no write access possible.
- If there is no light red remark then you can patch the Patch mambo 'index.php' file and the SMF 'index.php' and 'Sources/Subs-Post.php' file by mouse click.
- Leave all other params as default.
- Then do not forget to save !!!

5. Install the module mod_smf_login_1.1.zip (installers/moduls/search for zip file/upload file & install/continue after success).

6. Select menu item "Moduls/Site Moduls"
- publish 'Joomla-SMF Login' and unpublish 'Login Form' for replacing the old Login modul with the new one.

7. Click on the 'Joomla-SMF Login' name to edit the properties:
- Change the titel as you like (i.e. 'User Login').
- save properties (even if you dit not change anything - that fost first initialisation!).

8 Leave administrator mode (logout backend).

Thats it. Click on menu item 'Forum' to open your embedded SMF.

E) CPG INTEGRATION

- com_copperminevis_1_0_joombla_com.zip  (get all from http://www.joombla.com)
- joombla_basic_template.zip

2. Enter your webbrowser again and select our CPG 'http://server/cpg/index.php' and login at as 'admincpg'.

3. Select 'Admin Tools', goto 'Bridge Manager' and click it, ckick 'Start Bridging Wizard'.
- Check 'Simple Machines (SMF)' as application to bridge.
- Set 'Forum URL' to 'http://[/i]server[/i]/smf'(no '/' at the end !!!).
- Set 'Relative path...' to '../smf/' (with '/' at the end !!!)
- Keep 'Use post-based groups?' on YES (of course!).
- Set 'Enable integration/bridging with Simple Machines (SMF)' to 'enable' and click 'finish'.
- Do NOT start the once again with 'Start Bridging Wizard' (now)!

2. In your webbrowser select our Joomla 'http://server/joomla/index.php' again and login at administrator as 'admin'.

3. In the backend install the component com_copperminevis_1_0_joombla_com.zip (installers/components/search for zip file/upload file & install/continue after success).

4. Select menu item "Components/CoppermineVis/Configuration"
- Change 'CPG Relative URL to Joomla' to '../cpg/'
- For my Installation I had to set 'Fix picture URLS? (default = no, Only if Image urls are wrong)' to YES because I could not see any picture later in CPG albums.
- Leave the other parameters as default.
- Do not forget to save.

5. Select menu item 'Menu/mainmenu/new' for creating a menue item to CPG.
- Select 'Components/Component'
- Enter a Titel for the menu entry (i.e. 'Gallery')
- Select the Component 'CoppermineVis' and save it.
- Then logout administration (backend).

Thats it. Click on menu item 'Gallery' to open your embedded CPG.

F) ONE MAIN ADMIN FOR ALL

I suppose, that you would like to have an administator account who is responsible for all three components the same?
To do this please manage the following steps:

1. Enter your webbrowser and select our Joomla 'http://server/joomla/index.php' and login as 'adminsmf'. Then goto 'Forum' item.

2. Enter the administration center with button 'admin'.

3. Click members registration and create a new account with: user name = 'MyAdmin' (your choice), email address= your real address now, Primary Membergroup = Administrator. Then press button 'register'.

4. Logout, goto Joomla, login as 'MyAdmin'. Then goto 'Main Menu' and login at 'Administrator' as 'admin' (backend).

5. Select the User Manager and click on 'MyAdmin' and change the Group to 'Super Administrator' and save it.

6 As a final step you should tryout, if 'MyAdmin' works for all three components before you may delete or disable the old temporary users.

NO GOOD NEWs WITHOUT BAD NEWs

At the end there remains a little (simple?) problem that I could not fix until now:
When a new user registers himself ('register' there will not be any entry at the 'position' field in the users profile (SMF) which descibes the user group.

In this case the new user is not accepted for CPG when logging in (no matter from where). In the CPG users list this user is still not to be found.

Only just if I enter i.e. a 'Global Moderator' in the 'Position', I will find the user in CPG and he can login at CPG, too.

I hope that there is anybody, who can fix it ?!

Good Luck
EBG (Germany)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

barrueta8
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by barrueta8 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:03 am

Last edited by barrueta8 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

navin123
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: detailed step-by-step installation to integrate SMF and CPG into Joomla

Post by navin123 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:03 pm

I've already installed Joomla and integrated gallery2 and few other components.
Can I install SMF now or will it disturb the settings?

Why cant I directly install smf_1-1-rc1_install.zip instead of upgrading???
http://www.mangaloreworld.com
Lots of components & Modules used.

EBG
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by EBG » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:42 pm

Hello barrueta8,

I have not any problems to show the forum in the main body because my selfmade template is for 1024x728 now..

Did you already hide all other modules when entering the forum?
I tried to use it with standard 'solarflaire' and 'madeyourweb' and there was enough place for the forum in spite of their small size.
Another way would be to make the template(s) greater (1024) - thats what I would prefer.

You know if there´s a way to have...?
Sorry, I can't give you any answer - I don't know.

hello navin123,

the reason why I had used the upgrade is very simple.
I had not found the download of the complete zip version but only the upgrade.
I see no problem to use the smf_1-1-rc1_install.zip.

Best regards EBG

dvukmir
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dvukmir » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:44 pm

Hi EBG

I have problem with SMF Database Prefix: it says it should be smf_

Where can I find that file?

Thank you for the post and your help.

Dave

shamrox
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shamrox » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:31 pm

When I try to install the bridge component via the COM installer, I browse for the zip file and click Install, it always gives me this message.

Another component is already using directory: "/home/content/k/l/u/klub0kustoms1/html/cms/components/com_smf/"

And then won't install. Any ideas what's wrong or how to get around this?

dvukmir
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by dvukmir » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:41 pm

Connect with FTP to your server and remove in folder components smf folder then try to install again.

Dave

shamrox
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shamrox » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:16 pm

Ok, i did that, and yet I still get that same error.
Ideas?

baladeva
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by baladeva » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:57 pm

D) SMF INTEGRATION

- mod_smf_login_1.1.zip
- both zip files are located in 'JoomlaSMFForum_1.0.1b.zip' ! (get from: http://mamboforge.net)
i dont think that we can get a joomla component from: mamboforge.net

josey
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by josey » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:11 am

has anyone done this step-by-step with:

joomla 1.0.7
SMF 1.1.rc2
cpg 1.4.3

using joombla.com's coppermineVis 1.3?

i tried and lose functionality with coppermine when trying to access the config area from admin login after coppermineVis 1.3 is installed.

i also get this message at the top of smf page:
Notice: Constant WIRELESS already defined in ...public_html/forum/index.php on line 98

thanks for any feedback.

bendiga
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bendiga » Wed May 10, 2006 6:47 pm

All I'm trying to do is integrate SMF into Joomla.  I keep getting the same error:

"Constant WIRELESS already defined in..."

Can't anyone tell us how to fix this?

digerati
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by digerati » Thu May 11, 2006 3:52 am

This thread is marked NEW ??? WTF this is old!

Update this SHiznat!

Look:

- mod_smf_login_1.1.zip

Where in the hell can I find that at?
Guess what I cant cause its outdated and old and mamboforge doesnt exist.

higherauthority
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by higherauthority » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:17 am

So if I understand this correctly they need to use the same data base right?

dzoni
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by dzoni » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:51 am

digerati wrote: This thread is marked NEW ??? WTF this is old!

Update this SHiznat!

Look:

- mod_smf_login_1.1.zip

Where in the hell can I find that at?
Guess what I cant cause its outdated and old and mamboforge doesnt exist.
Every thread that contains posts you haven't read yet is marked NEW, but you're right, this one is totally obsolete.
NOOP
200 Zzz...

floatingworld
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by floatingworld » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:30 pm

A question about this method of integrating coppermine gallery. Doeas it allow for the use of the Coppermine mod pack?

Thanks!

Aaron
http://www.mygreenhosting.com Greenhouse Gas/ Carbon Free Joomla Web Hosting!
http://www.floatingworld.ca ; - Joomla project management and support

saple007
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: detailed step-by-step installation to integrate SMF and

Post by saple007 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:59 am

navin123 wrote:I've already installed Joomla and integrated gallery2 and few other components.
Can I install SMF now or will it disturb the settings?

Why cant I directly install smf_1-1-rc1_install.zip instead of upgrading???
Just now before joining this forum, i tried and somehow it failed.. So i joined this forum to look for solutions. I see you also have same issue ...

stevegd
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: detailed step-by-step installation to integrate SMF and

Post by stevegd » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:35 pm

Does anyone have a open-source, free bridge that works? I tried the one built into the 1.4.2 Coppermine but could not get it to work. The instructions / docs for Coppermine do not describe the steps adquately (specifically) enough to make it useful.

Return to “Integration & Bridges - 1.0.x”