HELP! Articles dulicating on Cat Blog menu pages

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
gnostic19
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

HELP! Articles dulicating on Cat Blog menu pages

Post by gnostic19 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:01 pm

I have been building first J site(1.6). My cat blog items are showing 2 duplicate articles on all cat blog pages. Don't remember doing anything to change this, though don't know how this kind of optional setting would be available to choose from.

http://haltom16.crmbus.com/index.php/ga ... rmits.html

all Quick Links to right have cat blog links with duplicate articles. Tech guy said he upgraded site to latest version, don't know if this has something to do with it.
Last edited by gnostic19 on Wed May 11, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnostic19
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Re: HELP! Articles dulicating on Cat Blog menu pages

Post by gnostic19 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:25 pm

i logged out as Super User and logged in as manager and submitted article and it does not duplicate. Anyone?

http://haltom16.crmbus.com/index.php/em ... ation.html

PhilOSparta
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by PhilOSparta » Wed May 11, 2011 5:19 pm

Nice work around. It's got to be a bug.
I posted the same problem about 15 minutes before you: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=615&t=619338 and found your post shortly after.

I just tried your fix and it worked. I wonder what other combinations will work.
Have you tried administrator and/or any of the other access levels?

Have you or will you be placing a bug report on this?

Thanks for your work on this one.

Regards,

Phil

gnostic19
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gnostic19 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:49 pm

PhilOSparta wrote: Have you or will you be placing a bug report on this?

Thanks for your work on this one.

Regards,

Phil

Actually, i created a new Super User account and all is ok, no duplication. I have a tech guy submitting info for me, he's the one who has been helping me out with upgrades/updates. Don't know if the database has the dups or if they are part of a buggy setting somewhere in the backend.

AdiM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AdiM » Wed May 18, 2011 11:17 am

It seems to be related to the Author of article, if there are more than 1 Contacts linked to the same user!!! This explains it all:
http://www.cmsmind.com/frontpage-articl ... ge-joomla/
I had the same problem and removing the duplicate contact solved the problem of dupkicate articles!
Best regards!
AdiM

gnostic19
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gnostic19 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:23 pm

AdiM,

that is geared towards Featured Article duplication, not the cat blog duplication article issue.

Re workaround by creating new Super User...that works in creating new articles that are not duplicated but the articles created initially that became duplicated still exist. So problem still active.

PhilOSparta
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by PhilOSparta » Wed May 18, 2011 9:38 pm

AdiM wrote:It seems to be related to the Author of article, if there are more than 1 Contacts linked to the same user!!! This explains it all:
http://www.cmsmind.com/frontpage-articl ... ge-joomla/
I had the same problem and removing the duplicate contact solved the problem of duplicate articles!
What is the frontpage but a category blog of "featured" articles? i.e. a category blog. My problem of duplicates, which also included triplicates by switching users, was fixed by following the instructions provided in the link you mention. My problem was not a frontpage, but the procedure worked for me.

Thanks for posting.
At this point, I don't know if we have enough information to generate a bug report. It would be nice to start a fresh system and create the bug in a reliable repetitive manner.

Regards,

Phil

gnostic19
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by gnostic19 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:55 pm

well scroo me, it worked.

AdiM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AdiM » Thu May 19, 2011 5:43 am

To reproduce the bug, I think this should be done:
1. create a new user USER1
2. create 2 separate contacts, both linked to the same USER1 and with the same name (different contact names might produce the bug, too)
3. create a category named CATEGORY1
4. create 1 article in CATEGORY1, with USER1 as Author, and publish it
5. publish a Category Blog for CATEGORY1
The article should appear duplicated in the Category Blog page.
Perhaps with 3 similar contacts, it gets triplicated etc.

Removing the duplicate contact (or unlinking it from USER1) should remove the duplicate article.

I suppose the category blog script is parsing the contacts list while preparing for displaying the articles, and it displays the articles for each contact linked to a user... It does not consider whether a contact is duplicatedly linked to a user or not.
Workaround suggested: while building the temporary list of articles to display, the script should not allow duplicated articles in the list.
Best regards!
AdiM

PhilOSparta
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by PhilOSparta » Thu May 19, 2011 1:46 pm

AdiM,
I followed your steps exactly on a clean system and duplicated your results.
The article published twice.

I went one step further: Create a new contact CONTACT3 and linked it to CONTACT1.
The article will now publish three copies to the blog. Again, create another contact CONTACT4 and link to CONTACT1 and the article published four times.

I then put CONTACT3 and CONTACT4 in the trash. The system continued publishing 4 copies. i.e. proof that linked users that have been sent to trash are still causing problem.
Selected status for trash and trashed the two that were in the trash. System now publishing two copies of the article. ( CONTACT1 and CONTACT2 still linked )
Removing the link from CONTACT2 to CONTACT1 eliminated the duplicate publication.

Thanks again for your analysis.

Regards,

Phil

AdiM
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by AdiM » Thu May 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Indeed, I forgot to mention that even the trashed duplicated contacts keep the bug.
Thanks for the verification.
Best regards!
AdiM

ktruhan
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ktruhan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:10 am

I see the issue now.
Is there a permanent fix for this yet?

mathisbrogers
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: HELP! Articles duplicating on Catalog Blog menu pages

Post by mathisbrogers » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi, All.
I also had this problem when I set up three different options to contact "different" people on one of my websites - website using clean install of 1.6.4. So I set all three of them to "link to Admin" and when I created a Catalog Blog for another set of articles this afternoon, I wound up with three of each of the two articles I currently have numbered one through six. It took a while since the original poster here put in "dulicating" and "Cat" instead of Duplicating and Catalog and I was looking for Duplicating Catalog Blog but after <i>three hours</i> of searching, :-[ I finally found this thread. PLEASE Spell out everything -- and spell it correctly, so we can find them in searches!! :-\

Anyway, I followed these instructions and it solved that issue.

However, it did bring up another problem. Which I will now create a new subject for.

Anyone interested, that subject link is here: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=615&t=638684

PhilOSparta wrote:AdiM,
I followed your steps exactly on a clean system and duplicated your results.
The article published twice.

I went one step further: Create a new contact CONTACT3 and linked it to CONTACT1.
The article will now publish three copies to the blog. Again, create another contact CONTACT4 and link to CONTACT1 and the article published four times.

I then put CONTACT3 and CONTACT4 in the trash. The system continued publishing 4 copies. i.e. proof that linked users that have been sent to trash are still causing problem.
Selected status for trash and trashed the two that were in the trash. System now publishing two copies of the article. ( CONTACT1 and CONTACT2 still linked )
Removing the link from CONTACT2 to CONTACT1 eliminated the duplicate publication.

Thanks again for your analysis.

Regards,

Phil

andreselsuave
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andreselsuave » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi there, I am having the same issue. I had the articles created by super users duplicated in the frontend. I changed the group of the owners and made a new superuser. However this fixes the frontend only when not logged in. When you log into any account, you get the duplicates again. T_T

I have no contacts in my website and I checked the trash was empty. I have no duplicates of the articles in the backend neither.

Can you help me please?

Thank you!

btw, using joomla 1.7

http://163.117.202.164

andreselsuave
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andreselsuave » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:07 am

I managed to fix it. I realized I had some articles in the trash, cleaning them solved the problem.

It was not trivial because a plugin (AJAX toggler) was making it difficult to empty trash:
http://blogomunity.com/support/tickets/ ... /2182.html

I have a question though:

Can you stop trashed articles from showing to logged in users?

Thank you very much

boozi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by boozi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Thank you very much for this, i was running around my tail trying to figure out what was causing this in Joomla 1.6.
whoever figured this out must have very little hair left, but he is a good man !

kurtroesand
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by kurtroesand » Wed May 22, 2013 9:04 am

This is still an issue (Joomla 2.5.11)

When you have several `Contacts` with the same name and alias and these are linked to the same `User` also with the same name and alias you will get duplicate articles in blog/category list layout.

Apparently you can link only one of the contacts to the actual user account if you don't want duplicate articles.

However, I'm unable to reproduce this behavior on a clean Joomla 2.5.11 install. The Joomla install I have issues with have gone the route from 1.5 -> 1.7 -> 2.5.x upgrades.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

- Kurt

himanshu_cool
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by himanshu_cool » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:44 pm

Thank you very much @AdiM .
Finally my duplication content not showing in site.

Thank you again..

TimBreese1
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by TimBreese1 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:59 pm

I just discovered that I had double articles and when I went to my contacts all of them were doubled as well. What is going on? When I tried to trash one of the doubled articles both were moved to the trash. What will happen when I delete one of the contacts?

I do not have doubled articles on the site itself.

I am in Joomla 2.5.11. Do I need to delete all of my contacts that I set up? There is no linked user menu that I can find.

I found any users that had multiple access abilities (I'm still not sure why Joomla made access a multiple choice) and changed them to single. I still have double articles listed in the backend.

Would this be solved by moving to 3.0?
Opera Singer and Website Producer

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”