K2 items to Normal Article Content

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! version 1.5.x.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
johnjbloomfield
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

K2 items to Normal Article Content

Post by johnjbloomfield » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm

I am preparing to upgrade a 1.5 site that has all its content in K2 instead of the default article manager.

We wont need K2 in the new site because of the improvements to the Article management in Joomla 1.6

I am comfortable with the upgrade process and have everything I need lined up except does anyone know a simple way to take the K2 content and move it in to the standard article manager?

K2 has a tool to do it in reverse i.e transfer article to K2 but I want to go the other way.....sure I can't be the only person to have this issue?

I'm looking at about 500 articles here so would prefer not to spend a day or more hitting ctr+A, then ctr+v

Here's hoping someone can help

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: K2 items to Normal Article Content

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:36 pm

K2 articles are stored in the table jos_k2_items. Use a sql query to copy them to jos_content.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO j16_content (title, alias, catid, published, introtext, fulltext)
  SELECT title, alias, catid, published, introtext, fulltext
  FROM jos_k2_items ;
You have to investigate which fields to bring over. Probably best to copy directly from K2 to the J1.6 content table and copy all categories first.

johnjbloomfield
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by johnjbloomfield » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi Per

Thanks very much for that I was hoping to bring them in to Joomla 1.5 first, so that I can uninstall all non standard components etc and then run the upgrade following the Joomla recommended procedures with contents still in situ.

Can you advise what the query would be for Joomla 1.5 I don't know much about SQL queries and don't want to assume that I just change the 6 to a 5

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:41 pm

The problem is that in 1.5 you have to make sections, while both K2 and J1.6 have nested categories.
The query will be the same except you have to add a section.

johnjbloomfield
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by johnjbloomfield » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:06 pm

Ah right didn't think I can run the upgrade without installing incompatible add ons first

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:17 pm

1.5 to 1.6 is not an upgrade, but a migration. Are you going to use Jupgrade or spUpgrade?

Jupgrade will install 1.6 in a new directory leaving 1.5 intact. The 1.6 will have the database prefix "j16". Move the K2 articles after that jupgrade have installed J1.6.

The "jos_" and "j16_" is just the database prefixes that Joomla was installed with.

johnjbloomfield
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by johnjbloomfield » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:55 am

I was just going to use the Jupgrade migration tool as that is the one recommended on wiki

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 1.5”