Error Building Admin Menu

This forum is for general questions about extensions for Joomla! 2.5.

Moderators: pe7er, General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
JaEvans
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Error Building Admin Menu

Post by JaEvans » Tue May 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Hi,

I am trying to install Community Builder and it all installs fine with one exception. I am getting the error message "Error building Admin Menu" right above the "Installation was successful" bar. When I go to the components drop down menu in the back end there is no Community Builder tab. I heard that there may be something in the joomla/installer code that needs changing as it is not assigning a menu id to Community Builder but I don't know much about this. I did purchase a template that had a dump file which gave new josh_ files. They are called hero_ files instead and are like hero_menu etc. I am wondering if I need to delete one of these files or if the fix is in the joomla installer code itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

andventer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Re: Error Building Admin Menu

Post by andventer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:12 am

I am having the same problem. I have Joomla 1.6 stable and CB 1.4. Initially when I tried to install CB I got an error message stating that there was an error installing. This was because my upload file limit was set to 2M. I am still trying to get that sorted, by editing my php.ini file. However this not my problem.

I then followed the advise of the CB manual by unzipping the com_comprofiler.zip file and ftp the unzipped folder to com_installer folder. I get CB to install but it gives me exactly the same message as JaEvans above, namely that it is unable to build admin menus. The CB menu does not appear.

Please help.

johnnyenglish
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by johnnyenglish » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:23 am

I have the same problem, albeit one of several. After installing CB, I tried to log on with my admin account to the front end of my site but was met with an error saying

"Session expired or cookies are not enabled in your browser. Please press "reload page" in your browser, and enable cookies in your browser. Please refresh/reload page before filling-in."

After reading the suggestion to "Try CB Configuration -> Integration tab -> set anti-spoofing checks to off", I went to access the CB configuration. There of course was none. Help with either of these problems would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mardulia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mardulia » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:58 pm

I too have this problem, only with xmap. I have two site currently running on MAMP, both on 1.6.3. ONe site installed xmap fine, the other gave the error message under discussion.

I have other issue with the site lagging in displaying data changes.

Wonder if they are related.

jcnp
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by jcnp » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:14 pm

any resolution on this one?

i just installed CB and also encountered the same error.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

john

mardulia
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mardulia » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi John,

In my case it was Xmap and RsForms. In both cases there was a table that needed to be dropped in order to install the extension properly. The guys behind RSForms had a script to run in the form itself which did the trick. For Xmap, I uninstalled the extension and manually deleted the xmap table (I think it was com_xmap, but I'm honestly not sure) from jos_menu. That worked.

I'm not a coder, so sql queries mean nothing to me but the script executed by RSForms I truly think did the same thing.

Hope this helps-

A.

PS- there is a new version of 1.6 out. and 1.7 is due out soon. I don't know if either of these releases addresses the problem, but maybe.

mjh2000
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mjh2000 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:01 pm

I have installed Jomsocial 2.4 and joomla 1.7 with sh404sef and tachyon template - but using default admin template on the backend....did not change - but happening with other admin templates as well that came with joomla 1.7
When I go to the admin backend try to modify any of the menus or create a new one - the admin template breaks...can anyone help ?????

Lantau
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Lantau » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:05 am

Hi everyone,
I've had similar problems and found a work around. I'm not suggesting that you try my work around but it may help people who understand what's going on to find and fix the underlying problem.

Background I had Joomla 1.6.3 and extension Community Builder 1.4, both needed to be upgraded to 1.7. I had a lot of problems with both and eventually got Joomla to 1.6.6. In separate folder I did a clean install of Joomla 1.7 but using the same mysql database.
At one point in attempting to upgrade Community Builder (CB) I uninstalled version 1.4. When installing the com-comprofiler component of CB I got the Error Building Admin Menu message but otherwise the installation seemed to work. CB did not appear under the Administration>Components menu, as it did before I started the upgrade process. This was the same for both the J1.6.6 and J1.7 installations.

Work Around. Mardula's post and the jos_menu comment gave me an idea. I searched the database using phpmyadmin and found a table j16-menu. (I think jos_ got changed to j16_ on upgrade to Joomla 1.6) In this I found an entry for com_comprofiler which is the CB component. I compared this with another Administration>Components menu item that I knew was working. The only difference was a missing id from the com_comprofiler entry. I found the id from Administration>Extensions Manager:Manage and manually entered it into the mysql database. The Community Builder entry was now on the Administration>Components menu but not the CB sub-menu. Another run of the CB installation completed without errors and sub menu is now working.

As I said, this is a workaround for my particular problem and I hope it helps someone else.
WARNING: backup before messing around with the mysql database.

Good Luck,
Lantau
Regards,
Lantau

Radair2002
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Radair2002 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:42 am

I had the same mistake and this was the solutiion. The ID was missing in the Menu Table.

Thanks a lot for answering my question before I was able to post it :)

URL Removed
Last edited by imanickam on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the URL posted

eimaj42
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eimaj42 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:04 am

+1 @Lantau thanks -- that worked for me too!

I also have a hard-coded max upload size of 2M and the local install required a pile of permissions updates on the Linux server filesystem, which were fixable, but I still had the same menu error :-( Updating the DB field and reinstalling from the local file for the 2nd time gave no "Error Building Menu" error and the full CB menus now appear under Components :)

[this is with CB1.7 on a new install of Joomla 1.7 on LAMP: Apache2, MySQL5.0.26, PHP5.2.5]

sonofabio
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by sonofabio » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:16 pm

I have the same problem but with joomla 1.7.
I've installed JCE and Akeeba Backup.
This is the code:

Code: Select all

* Error building Admin Menus
        * Component Install: DB function failed with error number 1044
          Access denied for user 'xxxxx'@'localhost' to database 'xxxxx' SQL=LOCK TABLES `oj032_assets` WRITE
          SQL =

LOCK TABLES `#__assets` WRITE
Any ideas?

serikm
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by serikm » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:43 pm

sonofabio wrote:I have the same problem but with joomla 1.7.
I've installed JCE and Akeeba Backup.
This is the code:

Code: Select all

* Error building Admin Menus
        * Component Install: DB function failed with error number 1044
          Access denied for user 'xxxxx'@'localhost' to database 'xxxxx' SQL=LOCK TABLES `oj032_assets` WRITE
          SQL =

Any ideas?
I found it out that this happens because of file permissions.
Download and install Akeeba Admin Tools and fix file permissions.
https://www.akeebabackup.com/software/admin-tools.html

clw854
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by clw854 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:50 pm

August 22, Error building Adminsitration Menu Joomla 1.7, WHAT IS THE SOLUTION????

clw854
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by clw854 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 pm

id MISSING IN MENU TABLE?

azocchi
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by azocchi » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:48 am

I have the same problem on Joomla 1.7

NO MISSING ID on jos_menu table

NO MISSING ID = 1 on jos_menu table

Components won't copy files to the server or add entrys to jos_menu table, but only create the other tables they need.

Error building Admin Menus

Stucked on that for days now... please help!!

mboomer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mboomer » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:51 pm

I have a clean install of joomla 1.7
I used a clean db for the install

I got the error but managed by following a few links to get to the akeeba control panel and actually take a backup.

I can find no mention of akeeba components in the j17_menu table

I've no idea how to fix this...anyone else found a solution.

mboomer
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mboomer » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:35 pm

I did find a way to resolve this, I did an install of Joomla 1.7 with the sample data and that fixes the problem for some reason.

chrisyork
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chrisyork » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:37 pm

This appears to be a REAL PROBLEM for sites that migrated to 1.6 before it reached 1.6.5?

ANY component that I try to upgrade results in this issue - the component is installed and functions, and if you happen to know the URL you can access it, but that is REALLY NOT ON for production use.

It looks like the menu items are deleted when trying to upgrade the component. I have tried with 1.6.3, upgraded to 1.6.5 and even 1.7 - the same thing happens. Each time the entry (or entries) in jos_menu are removed.

[RANT ALERT]
Lots of people have been asking the component developers why their component is not working, but it appears that the problem is more likely a CORE fault.

I have built another site from scratch using 1.7 and this situation doesn't occur. My migrated site is complex so I cannot rebuild it from scratch. It looks to me like we've been duped into using 1.6 and then left hanging out to dry (I found one reply to a post on this forum that simply say 'end of life 1.6 August 2011'!) while everyone rushes past 1.7.

I've followed lots of advice since starting my site with Joomla at 1.5.4 and always managed to keep updating, but it looks like I've put my site into a dead end by migrating to 1.6.3. I have members joining and articles added almost every day so the work involved in building from scratch is not viable - and I don't want to lose the hard work of high rankings with Search Engines.

I would be very grateful if someone can help with this - I may be able to play with SQL to reinstate the menu entries from my backup of 1.6.3, but this is not a SOLUTION... and will not work in the long term.

Please don't leave us scratching around for work arounds on an issue as fundamental as being able to update existing components - something needs to be fixed so that we can evolve - that's a Darwinian problem for Joomla...
[/RANT ALERT]

Many thanks and heres hoping to a smiley resolution.

deserthighway
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deserthighway » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:22 am

I am having the same problem and am not sure what to do. I tried using Admin tools to repair everything and reinstall. Right now I just tried re-installing this for the third time and still get the "Error Building Admin Menus."

In my Joomla Extension Manager screen, there are now three separate entries for com_comprofiler. I disabled the first two before attempting this third and most recent install, but when I try to uninstall them it just fails and says to remove them manually and I don't know how.

I've been busily building my Joomla 1.7 site from the ground up for several weeks now and this is the first extension I've run into that's broken anything.

:(
chrisyork wrote:I would be very grateful if someone can help with this - I may be able to play with SQL to reinstate the menu entries from my backup of 1.6.3, but this is not a SOLUTION... and will not work in the long term.
Do we know that this clearly a problem with Joomla, or is it something with Community Builder itself?

chrisyork
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chrisyork » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:26 am

deserthighway wrote: Do we know that this clearly a problem with Joomla, or is it something with Community Builder itself?
Well, on my site ANY component that I try to install or upgrade gives me this error. So, Akeeba backup (search their forum for instances of this problem!), Kunena forum, Phoca download...

That's why I THINK it is a core problem. And that's why I've come to this forum having looked at a number of other places.

As for your problem, I haven't heard of this happening on a 'virgin' 1.7.0 site before, so that is a bit of a worry. I have a feeling that it won't uninstall Community Builder because it hasn't properly installed it - did you manage to complete 'step 2' of the the installation? If not, you need to manually open the page (your domain)/administrator/index.php?option=com_comprofiler which will trigger this installation step - then you might be able to uninstall (and incidentally you can continue to use Community Builder 'manually' by typing this address each time...)

Otherwise you'll need to get under the bonnet of the MySQL database and remove reference to it in the tables (but I don't know which tables need to be 'purged', sorry).

So that's another case... still no support available from the Joomla team. We'd love you to help us fix a problem that you introduced, some might say in a rush to release...

deserthighway
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by deserthighway » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:35 am

My site is not a fresh 1.7 install, I've had it up and running a few weeks and have several extensions installed. I was trying to use Community Builder in conjunction with Kunema forum, which I had just installed fresh an hour or so before (successfully).

I did try removing the comprofiler entries via My PHP Admin but that didn't seem to have any effect.

I also posted on the Community Builder forums about this, the relevant thread there is: http://www.joomlapolis.com/forum/146-ge ... nus#176069

Dicci
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Dicci » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:40 pm

I think I have found a solution for this problem "Error building Admin Menu" when installing a module or component. In my case I experienced it when an installation was disrupted and then started again that this error showed. After reading a couple of forum posts I figured out that I had to delete ALL entries related to that module/component in the #_menu table. After doing that and reinstall of the module/component the error disappeared and the missing menu entry appeared.

So use your phpMyAdmin edit your #_menu table and carefully delete only entries related to the module/component creating this problem, then reinstall it and everything should be fine.

chrisyork
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chrisyork » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:22 am

Dicci wrote:So use your phpMyAdmin edit your #_menu table and carefully delete only entries related to the module/component creating this problem, then reinstall it and everything should be fine.
Thanks for this. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me - it doesn't appear that any components will insert values into #__menu table, whether there is an existing entry or not. So each component I try to upgrade 'disappears' from the Admin menu.

My only workaround so far is to update the component (and get the 'Error building admin menu') then manually insert an entry into #__menu table... Not great, but it seems to work...

Curiously (and is this an indication of the problem?) when I then try to reinstall the component for a second time (so equivalent to upgrading to a new version of the component) that manual entry in the #__menu table gets deleted... So is there something in an installation script that is breaking (given that this happens with EVERY component I've tried to update, I think its a core problem).

Can ANYONE help? I've had to freeze my site at 1.6.3 and can't take advantage of any updated components thanks to this 'FEATURE' of 1.6

Thanks in advance...

chrisyork
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by chrisyork » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:43 am

I'm going CRAZY with this problem. I've tried a number of things, and NOTHING works...
#1 I have create a fresh site from 1.7.2 with no sample data. I add components and everything works fine. I have then 'attached' that install to my existing database (which I have updated by upgrading every step from 1.6.3 to 1.7.2). Then when I try to install any component IT BREAKS! By which I mean it deletes the entries in #_menu

#2 I have compared the structure of both databases (hopefully there is a word document attached, showing the comparison) - I can't see anything except for the data type for 'access' having changed from tinyint(3) to int(10) in #_menu.

#3 I have emptied the content of my new database and (using phpmyadmin) inserted the data from the old database. No changes to structure, and the site appears to work as expected. Then when I try to install any component IT BREAKS!

#4 I have uninstalled components before trying to update - I get another 'related' error saying that it could not delete admin menu... Even if there wasn't an entry!

#5 I have exported the contents of #__menu prior to update and then after installing a component (or upgrading it) I import that to overwrite the compromised file. This 'works', but means that I can't ever add any new component, because I would need to do it manually!

I know that developers out there know this is a problem:

http://groups.google.com/group/joomlabu ... fa70b29e4d

and even in joomlacode's tracker (although they apparently abandoned looking into this!):

http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... m_id=23674

COME ON GUYS within JOOMLA. There's lots of folk struggling with this and no FIX, just some vague arm-waving and sloping shoulders. I'm trying REALLY HARD to help myself and anyone else, but someone broke it, so please FIX IT or tell us how to fix things. I'm losing confidence in Joomla...

If I've done something dumb, then just tell me what it is, I'll apologise for wasting everyone's time (including my own) and then we can all live happily ever after...

I'm gonna have to look elsewhere for a different CMS if I can't get this sorted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krolyat
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by krolyat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:30 pm

I am also having this problem with a fresh install of Joomla 1.7 and Virtuemart 2.

This is really annoying.

andmcq
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by andmcq » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:00 am

Hi All
Can I please throw my hat into the ring with this one.
Instead of upgrading from Joomla 1.5.3 to 1.7 I have started a fresh build on 1.7.2 in a sub directory as a development site. Install seems to work fine then when trying to install a component I get - yes you guessed it:
Error building Admin Menus
Component Install: DB function failed with error number 1044
Access denied for user 'my_DB_username'@'%' to database 'my_DB-name' SQL=LOCK TABLES `mfxju_assets` WRITE
SQL =

JFolder: :delete: Could not delete folder. Path: /services3/----path to------/administrator/components/com_jce/tables
JFolder: :delete: Could not delete folder. Path: /services3/----path to------/dev/administrator/components/com_jce/models
JFolder: :delete: Could not delete folder. Path: /services3/----path to------/public/dev/administrator/components/com_jce/includes
JFolder: :delete: Could not delete folder. Path: /services3/----path to------/public/dev/administrator/components/com_jce/classes
Failed deleting .nfs0000000001573ac50000a35c
As I haen't much to lose with this I have cleared the directory about 4 times and the database, triple checked all the correct files were uploaded etc and still no luck.
It must be a core error as I am hitting this problem with any comp!
HELP-HELP-HELP

Minimera
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Minimera » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:31 pm

@joomla apprentice:

I have the exact same problem. Have you got a solution?

Thanx!

accession
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by accession » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:01 pm

i had the same issue
lots of techies leave half useless help, so here is my fixed
stolen from one of the above and explained for dummies:

>>>This typically only happens if you attempted to install any version of CB other then 1.7 then try to install 1.7. Results in corrupt menu database rows and won't allow CBs to create.

>>Please run the below queries directly on your database then reinstall CB 1.7.
explained: go to your hosting cpanel (control panel (where you setup your emails etc))
find phpadmin
click on your database (joomla_jo1xx)
the 2nd tab op top should be SQL
(this is like a command prompt for us windows users)
simply copy each line below (I did one at the time, you might be able to do both)
and paste it into the window and hit go
it'll ask you of you want to do, say yes

DELETE FROM `jos_assets` WHERE `name` = 'com_comprofiler';
DELETE FROM `jos_menu` WHERE `path` LIKE '%comcomprofiler%';

no reinstall com_comprofiler and the admin menu is there.
worked for me

pronoya
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by pronoya » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:34 pm

SOLVED

I upgraded my site from 1.5 to 1.7. Ran into this problem adding Ninja RSS feeds.

OK, after MUCH research, it appears the problem lies in the #_MENU table. The table must have an entry with ID 1 as the Menu_Item_Root. If that is missing from the table, the Joomla API spits out this error. I found this here:

http://seoj.info/error-building-admin-menus-joomla-17

The author explains and provides the fix.
"That one little small error is very nasty one: "Error building Admin Menus" - Don't tell me about it, I have been looking at it for weeks and I finally pissed off and decided to look at what's going on behind the scenes.

The long story short: Joomla! has now entered all backend items in the table #__menu. For some reason, there is an entry with ID 1 that is Menu_Item_Root. If this doesn't exist for some reason (some quickstarts of Joomlart for example don't have it), the API of Joomla! brings that error."

How to solve? Open your phpMyAdmin and execute the following query, by renaming #__menu with your actual prefix (i.e. "jos_menu"):

INSERT INTO `#__menu`
VALUES ( 1, '', 'Menu_Item_Root', 'root', '', '', '', '', 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 0, 0, '', 0, '', 0, 281, 0, '*', 0 ) ;
I did this and ALL my "Error building Admin Menus" went away. Hope this helps.

--Daniel
http://www.pronoya.com
Please read the Forum rules regarding signatures: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=65

chrisyork
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

[SOLVED] Re: Error Building Admin Menu

Post by chrisyork » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:49 am

BRILLIANT!!!!

This fixed worked a treat - how you found that when my extended conversation with Mr Google didn't flush it out I'm not going to worry.

Anyway I tried this AND IT WORKED.

Actually, I tried something a little different, which was slightly easier. I took a look at the #__menu table using phpmyadmin and found that I did have an entry called 'Menu_Item_Root' - it was numbered 9999 - all I did was change the number to 1 (which is what is required). AND NOW I DON'T HAVE THE ERROR BUILDING ADMIN MENU problem any more.

So I would like to suggest to the moderators and administrators of the Joomla forum and documentation, PLEASE put this as a sticky somewhere - it is so simple yet unleashes the power of 1.7! What a frustrating waste of time that was. A simple bit of documentation explaining that there must be a Menu_Item_Root with an id=1 would have been extremely useful in the changelog - or maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

Once again the power of the community beats everything.

THANKS Daniel!!!

pronoya wrote:SOLVED

I upgraded my site from 1.5 to 1.7. Ran into this problem adding Ninja RSS feeds.

OK, after MUCH research, it appears the problem lies in the #_MENU table. The table must have an entry with ID 1 as the Menu_Item_Root. If that is missing from the table, the Joomla API spits out this error. I found this here:

http://seoj.info/error-building-admin-menus-joomla-17

The author explains and provides the fix.
"That one little small error is very nasty one: "Error building Admin Menus" - Don't tell me about it, I have been looking at it for weeks and I finally pissed off and decided to look at what's going on behind the scenes.

The long story short: Joomla! has now entered all backend items in the table #__menu. For some reason, there is an entry with ID 1 that is Menu_Item_Root. If this doesn't exist for some reason (some quickstarts of Joomlart for example don't have it), the API of Joomla! brings that error."

How to solve? Open your phpMyAdmin and execute the following query, by renaming #__menu with your actual prefix (i.e. "jos_menu"):

INSERT INTO `#__menu`
VALUES ( 1, '', 'Menu_Item_Root', 'root', '', '', '', '', 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 0, 0, '', 0, '', 0, 281, 0, '*', 0 ) ;
I did this and ALL my "Error building Admin Menus" went away. Hope this helps.

--Daniel
http://www.pronoya.com

Return to “Extensions for Joomla! 2.5”