Problem with accents in a specific template

General questions regarding the use of languages in Joomla! 1.5.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Renegade_Mtl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Problem with accents in a specific template

Post by Renegade_Mtl » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi all,

Having a problem with a specific template, I got it from template monster.com

My accents are not showing in the module names( ex. latest news) and in the top menu and in article names... but the content of the articles are fine... all accents showing

Now ive been trying everything around the web, from re-making my database, (yes its utf8_general_ci)

Joomfish is installed. and working perfectly (for article content anyways)

Now for the hell of it, i did some test, like in the the "Latest News" I renamed it, "Actualités"...

It shows up as " Actualis " skipping the é caracter completely... now if I switch over to Bees or the joomla default... all the accents ARE SHOWING !

So its obviously template related...!

I tried adding define iso bla bla... seemed to only give me errors and the page did not load... know since its only template bases, hell there must be only a handfull of files... theres got to be a way to fix this..

Also downloaded textwrrangler for mac... opened each adn every file, they are all utf8. no BOM...

I give up ! any ideas?

Willing to trade the template for the fix... this might not be in the norms but hell template monster did not want to help their customer so ...

thanks
8)

http://osc4.template-help.com/joomla_29716/#

this is not my site, but its the actual template running so it might give you guys an idea..

Renegade_Mtl
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Problem with accents in a specific template

Post by Renegade_Mtl » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Ok, well I suprised myself by finding the FIX to this problem, I hope to help others in the futur....

Ok well, Ive always thought that you could NOT have fonts that were not verdana times arial etc if the language was not flash bases, this using normal system fonts...

BUT using this generator :
http://cufon.shoqolate.com/generate/

You upload your font, and make sure to add all the latin caracters, I even added éàèç etc manually in the form to make sure it would be there... I decided to give it the family name "Aller"

Then you click generate.. is gives you a file called FONTNAME-font.js

Now to make this work you need to have 3 files...

1. cufon-yui.js (the engine I guess)
2. fontname.font.js (the font you used, in my case it was Aller_400.font.js... 400 is the font em size)
3. cufon-replace.js (this is called to replace the fonts in the joomla site)

ex. of cufon-replace.js

Code: Select all

Cufon.replace('h3, .article-title-text, .componentheading, .menu-nav li a, .copy, .slogan_top', { fontFamily: 'Aller', hover:true })

Now i imagine you must delclare all theese new scripts in the templatedetails.XML
and probably call it in the index.php somehow.. check the cufon site for details as I suck in JS.

I had this in my index file :

Code: Select all

<script src="<?php echo $path ?>/scripts/cufon-yui.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo $path ?>/scripts/Aller_400.font.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo $path ?>/scripts/cufon-replace.js"></script>
Well thats that...

Hope this helps someone else... might not be clear but i did my best...
:D

addy digit
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by addy digit » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:45 am

Just a quick thought - you've probably solved this problem already but what about designing a custom single.php file that doesn't call the header and footer files? Duplicate your single.php file, strip the code out that you don't want to use, rename it simple_single.php or what ever and go from there.

marcofloriano
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by marcofloriano » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:02 pm

I did all the cufon generating thing, and have replace the old font with the new one generated in the site.

Still not working.

Trying to find another solution, probably after generating the font and replacing it, must be something more to do.

Thanks anyway.

Return to “Language - Joomla! 1.5”