What is this release for?
There are several goals for this release:
- To allow advance testing of sites and custom extensions so that site administrators and developers can report any problems before the final release.
- To raise awareness that the end of the current development cycle is fast approaching.
- To allow testing of the upgrade from version 1.7 to 2.5.0.
This RC1 version of Joomla 2.5 is not suitable for production sites. It should be used for testing only.
When is the final release due?
Joomla 2.5.0 GA (general availability) is due to be released on 24 January 2012. The planned milestone after this date are:
- 24 February 2012 - Joomla 1.7 reaches end of life and is no longer supported
- April 2012 - Joomla 1.5 reaches end of life
- September 2012 - Next version of Joomla is released
How do I upgrade to Joomla 2.5?
Upgrading from Joomla 1.7 to Joomla 2.5.0 will be very easy. Most users can use the automatic update or install the update archive using the Extension Manager: Install option.
If you are using Joomla 1.5 then you will still be required to migrate your site using the jUpgrade component.
What happens to Joomla 1.7?
Joomla 2.5 is the direct upgrade for Joomla 1.7. Joomla 1.7 will be supported for critical security issues only for a period of one month after the release of Joomla 2.5. After that time, only Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 2.5 will be supported by the Joomla project. Note that Joomla version 2.5 is a long-term-support (LTS) release and will be supported for at least 18 months.
What’s new in this release?
See Full Announcement: http://www.joomla.org/announcements/rel ... eased.html
Download here: http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... ge_id=6227
To report bugs, please use the official Bug Tracker!
Discuss the Release: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=689752