Joomla 2.5.2 Menu Item type select issue

General questions relating to Joomla! 2.5. Note: All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5. There are other boards for more specific help on Joomla! features and extensions.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you should use this tool to help you post.
heartavenger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla 2.5.2 Menu Item type select issue

Post by heartavenger » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:18 am

Hi
Hope I am posting in right sub-forum for this type of issue
Joomla 2.5.2 Menu Item type select issue i facing trouble with it as I am not able to select the required menu item type.
after the popup for menu item type loads , the page refreshes but with no selected type in the light blue box ???
I have tried to explain with the help of screen shots
Hope some good fella from community can help me with this issue

My specs are
PHP Built On Linux
Database Version 5.0.92-community-log
Database Collation utf8_general_ci
PHP Version 5.2.9
Web Server Apache
WebServer to PHP Interface cgi
Joomla! Version Joomla! 2.5.2 Stable [ Ember ] 5-March-2012 14:00 GMT
Joomla! Platform Version Joomla Platform 11.4.0 Stable [ Brian Kernighan ] 03-Jan-2012 00:00 GMT
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2

I have tried to use other browsers like Internet explorer and chrome also but to no avail none worked.
Joomla 1.5.25 works just fine on the same server
Its just that I wanted to upgrade but this issue :'(
Last edited by heartavenger on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heartavenger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla 2.5.2 Menu Item type select issue

Post by heartavenger » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:40 am

Forgot to mention this
I have tried re-install several times and changing site admin theme also to see if it might help as it was directed at various places in the forum ,but that didn't help to resolve my issue.

heartavenger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by heartavenger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:08 pm

so i tried error console today

Code: Select all

Timestamp: 3/21/2012 10:35:28 PM
Warning: Use of getAttributeNode() is deprecated. Use getAttribute() instead.
Source File: http://example.com/j25/administrator/index.php?option=com_menus&view=item&layout=edit
Line: 0
Timestamp: 3/21/2012 10:35:28 PM
Warning: Use of attributes' nodeValue attribute is deprecated. Use value instead.
Source File: http://example.com/j25/administrator/index.php?option=com_menus&view=item&layout=edit
Line: 0
I am getting these 2 warnings when i select a new menu item and it remains blank can you explain these to some extent 2 please
Last edited by heartavenger on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCheesley
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by RCheesley » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Have you tried updating to 2.5.3?

Ruth
Ruth Cheesley

heartavenger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by heartavenger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:26 pm

RCheesley wrote:Have you tried updating to 2.5.3?

Ruth
Yes indeed Sir
I have tried to do that too.
It might be pertinent to mention here that Joomla 1.5.25 works just fine on the same server but 1.6 , 1.7 etc also don't work . Gave the exact same error
Already tried different browsers

RCheesley
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by RCheesley » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Have you tried looking at it in a different browser? It looks like this might be a bug with Mozilla perhaps, I see a load of bugzilla reports when googling for that error.

Give it a shot in Chrome or another browser and see if the problem persists.

As a side note, you're running a fairly outdated version of PHP, you might want to consider updating that soon, many new versions need 5.3.x - recommended technical specs for Joomal! 2.5.x here: http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html

Ruth

Ruth
Ruth Cheesley

heartavenger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by heartavenger » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:02 pm

RCheesley wrote:Have you tried looking at it in a different browser? It looks like this might be a bug with Mozilla perhaps, I see a load of bugzilla reports when googling for that error.

Give it a shot in Chrome or another browser and see if the problem persists.

As a side note, you're running a fairly outdated version of PHP, you might want to consider updating that soon, many new versions need 5.3.x - recommended technical specs for Joomal! 2.5.x here: http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html

Ruth

Ruth
Thanks for the reply
I have tried Chrome ,IE 9
I could say that its not a browser issue
Also the same browser works ok for local installation on wamp server

midimoinsdix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by midimoinsdix » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Same problem !
I have tested the same website on localhost its Ok but on line on my serveur it's impossible to select the menu type.

I have also tried on different browser (IE - Firefox - Chrome and Safari)
Joomla version 2.5.3
Php version 5.3.0

tomk105
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by tomk105 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:27 pm

I had a similar problem with one of my J1.5 sites I migrated to J2.5 using Jupgrade component. I don't remember for sure whether or not the "Single Article" showed up in the Menu Type window. But when I then clicked on the Menu item from the front end I would get a server error (I think it was 500).

I finally fixed my problem by just overlaying all of the Joomla Code (except configuration file) on the problem site with the Joomla files from a fresh installed J2.5.2? installation.

After that I could select a single article for a menu, and it would populate the menu type window and would work.

Note another problem the migrated site had was the Contact Categories didn't migrate with the contacts, and I had to reassign them before Contact Us type menus would work.

Hope that helps.

heartavenger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by heartavenger » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:52 pm

midimoinsdix wrote:Same problem !
I have tested the same website on localhost its Ok but on line on my serveur it's impossible to select the menu type.

I have also tried on different browser (IE - Firefox - Chrome and Safari)
Joomla version 2.5.3
Php version 5.3.0
I was thinking its because of my PHP version but since you are facing this on php 5.3.0 also then I guess we really need a dev or experienced user to give us suggestion
tomk105 wrote:I had a similar problem with one of my J1.5 sites I migrated to J2.5 using Jupgrade component. I don't remember for sure whether or not the "Single Article" showed up in the Menu Type window. But when I then clicked on the Menu item from the front end I would get a server error (I think it was 500).

I finally fixed my problem by just overlaying all of the Joomla Code (except configuration file) on the problem site with the Joomla files from a fresh installed J2.5.2? installation.

After that I could select a single article for a menu, and it would populate the menu type window and would work.

Note another problem the migrated site had was the Contact Categories didn't migrate with the contacts, and I had to reassign them before Contact Us type menus would work.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply but in my case its a totally fresh installation and no error 500 or anything like that . as evident from screenshot the menu item remains empty
Hope some good Dev or helping user will help figure out the issue ..hopefully soon
:)

midimoinsdix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by midimoinsdix » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm

I my case it is also a fresh install. No migration. No 500 error.
The problem concern only the select type menu which one does not select in the type menu.

heartavenger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Joomla 2.5.2 Menu Item type select issue update

Post by heartavenger » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi please anyone understands what this means
I get this error when i repair the joomla database

• database_test.fcb7o_finder_tokens
    note : The storage engine for the table doesn't support repair

database_test.fcb7o_finder_tokens_aggregate
    note : The storage engine for the table doesn't support repair

Any help will be appreciated

midimoinsdix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by midimoinsdix » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi, I have solded my problem by changing the configuration of the Php.ini

Some Disable functions prevented the creation of the item.
I have attached a print screen of the configuration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

heartavenger
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by heartavenger » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:29 pm

midimoinsdix wrote:Hi, I have solded my problem by changing the configuration of the Php.ini

Some Disable functions prevented the creation of the item.
I have attached a print screen of the configuration.
I am n Linux shared hosting
I dont thin i have any option to configure php.in

I have attached a screen shot of my actual setting any idea which setting to change or what can be done
php settings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

midimoinsdix
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by midimoinsdix » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:40 pm

I am sure that one of the disable function your hosteur active in the php.ini is the problem you have to solve.
For the moment I have asked my hoster to delete all function. The configuration is on "none" (See the new file which oen has solved the problem).
If your hosteur don't give you the possibility to modify the php.ini , you can also create a new one and put it in the root of your website. Try to search how to create it in the forum I think you can find some post about this.

Concerning the function I haven't find which one create the problem ? You can compare your configuration with mine... I have not enough experience to know about that.

Good luck ;)

Befuddled
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Befuddled » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Same problem here. Our project has come to a complete stop (on an active site). Does anyone have a work-around?

Joomla 2.5.4 Stable 2-April-2012
Disable Functions = None
PHP version 5.3.5-1ubuntu7.7
Upgraded from Joomla 1.5.25 to 2.5.4

Only upgrade issue: had to insert jimport to /helpers/system.php file for warp template.

We're stumped.

Befuddled
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Befuddled » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Problem solved (for us at least)
Firefox - Content - Enable JavaScript - Advanced - Raise or lower windows (should be checked on). We also created an Exception for localhost under Block pop-up windows.

It seems firefox Javascript default permissions are too restrictive by default. Perhaps firefox should adopt the less restrictive permissions of IE? (/sarcasm off)

debruer
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by debruer » Thu May 24, 2012 11:11 am

Thanks Befuddled,

Worked for me too BUT ... not immediately, i had to Ctrl-F5 my admin-page to load the actual page, not the cached one and only then this beautiful modal window with all menu-item-types appeared §;-)

So, dear all, it's NOT a browser-issue or rather, it IS but only in the sense that you have to configure the javascript-options in each of them... Complicated or what?

greetings, eric the viking (from Belgium though)

polpaulin
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by polpaulin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:01 am

same problem here with Joomla 2.5.6
Warning: Use of getAttributeNode() is deprecated. Use getAttribute() instead.

same with firefox, chrome, opera, safari

polpaulin
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by polpaulin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:07 am

still not working for any browser

gaz8587
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gaz8587 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi,

I have a working site on 1.5.26 which I am trying to upgrade to 2.5.6
I have the same issue with 2.5.6 with the Menu Item Select being blank after selecting a 'menu item type'.

I looked at my localhost (Joomla 2.5.6) site PHP settings, and saw the 'Disable Functions' set to 'none'.
I looked at the hosted (test) site PHP settings, where I was trying to setup 2.5.6 and saw the 'Disable Functions' set to numerous things (attached).

Contacted my hosting provider and they are moving my site to a newly created server, hopefully with 'Disable Functions' set to 'none'.

Will post again once they have moved it....fingers crossed.

Garry

gaz8587
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by gaz8587 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi,

My hosting provider natro.com have now moved my site to a new server.
And......my 2.5.6 test setup now works.

I asked them if they could tell me what was different between the old and new, all they could tell me was this, "Both servers have php 5.3 version and apache version, but the new server is based from 64 bit operating system, old was 32 bit operation system".

So, I am still no wiser as to what caused the original problem.
The 'Disabled Functions' list is now longer, containing the following:
exec, system, passthru, shell_exec, escapeshellarg, escapeshellcmd, proc_close, proc_open, ini_alter, dl, popen, popen, pcntl_exec, socket_accept, socket_bind, socket_clear_error, socket_close, socket_connect, socket_create_listen, socket_create_pair, socket_create, socket_get_option, socket_getpeername, socket_getsockname, socket_last_error, socket_listen, socket_read, socket_recv, socket_recvfrom, socket_select, socket_send, socket_sendto, socket_set_block, socket_set_nonblock, socket_set_option, socket_shutdown, socket_strerror, socket_write, stream_socket_client, stream_socket_server, pfsockopen, stream_set_timeout, disk_total_space, disk_free_space, chown, diskfreespace, getrusage, get_current_user, set_time_limit, getmyuid, getmypid, dl, leak, listen, chgrp, link, symlink, dlopen, proc_nice, proc_get_stats, proc_terminate, shell_exec, sh2_exec, posix_getpwuid, posix_getgrgid, posix_kill, ini_restore, mkfifo, dbmopen, dbase_open, filepro, filepro_rowcount, posix_mkfifo, putenv, geoip_open, sleep

I can provide a complete PHP Information file (from System Information) if anyone wants to compare what their setup is, against my now working setup.

Garry

Return to “General Questions/New to Joomla! 2.5”