Joomla on Windows???

This forum is for issues with installing Joomla! 2.5 (All 1.6 and 1.7 releases have reached end of life and should be updated to 2.5.) on IIS webservers.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
foXXXi
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Joomla on Windows???

Post by foXXXi » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:24 am

Guys, a client of mine sent me this link: http://www.microsoft.com/web/joomla/
I have never in my life used Joomla on a Windows server.
Could you tell me what the system requirements are? Do we still need to run Apache?

It seems that they are only allowed to run stuff on Windows.. Nothing else..
Also, would the components/modules etc work the same way? ie are modules/components built for certain platforms or will they work on both?
Last edited by humvee on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as resolved
Samantha Prinsloo
Creative Designs
Website Designer, Graphic Designer
http://www.creative-designs.co.za

smpleader
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Re: Joomla on Windows???

Post by smpleader » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:29 am

Joomla can run with IIS easily, ( with php installed, of course )
Let try and feedback with error appear, so we can understand what the problem in the real ( window environment )

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:32 pm

[Mod note: Moved from Installation Forum to IIS Installation Forum; ]
To help you, in the future, find the correct forum for your topic please read the Which forum to post your question that I have put together.
smpleader wrote:Joomla can run with IIS easily, ( with php installed, of course )
Let try and feedback with error appear, so we can understand what the problem in the real ( window environment )
I can easily point you at a lot of people that would disagree with that view, smpleader!!

@foXXXi
The minimum technical requirement that is different from normal technical requirements (although stated on the same page) is that the IIS server must be at least IIS 7 or better.

You should also see the first thread by me in this forum for details on some issues, some solutions and a number of links dealing with common issues that arise.

If the client also insists on using MSSQL then the potential issues are significantly increased as Joomla has only recently added this to the compatible database servers and not all the wrinkles have been ironed out yet.

You have two main choices for installing and organising/administering the Web server - either use of the Microsoft Web Platform installer or the use of Zend Server CE which will recognise what is already installed on the host server hardware and only add the additional requirements. But this all depends on what technical/server support you are actually going to get.

If you are having to set up a local testing server for the purpose of developmental testing then I personally would suggest Zend Server CE but I am sure others would have their own opinions. (You will obviously need a Windows OS with at least IIS 7 on it already (Vista Professional or 7 Ultimate, or a spare Windows Server 2008 lying around) just be careful how you configure IIS to run when you already have Apache installed.

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by toivo » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:53 pm

If running on Windows is the main requirement, you can also use the Wampserver bundle, available from http://wampserver.com/en.

My first reply had disappeared when this topic was moved to the IIS subforum.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

foXXXi
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by foXXXi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:19 am

Thank you all for your responses! They are highly valued!
I am going to try and convince my client to stay on Unix.. I dont want them to be a test dummy :)

@Humvee - my apologies for putting the question in the wrong spot.. I didn't know what IIS was haha! :) I'm totally useless when it comes to any windows platforms!
Samantha Prinsloo
Creative Designs
Website Designer, Graphic Designer
http://www.creative-designs.co.za

humvee
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by humvee » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:49 am

foXXXi wrote:Thank you all for your responses! They are highly valued!
I am going to try and convince my client to stay on Unix.. I dont want them to be a test dummy :)
That is still where the greatest Web support exists not just in Joomla but 70% approx of all servers.
@Humvee - my apologies for putting the question in the wrong spot.. I didn't know what IIS was haha! :) I'm totally useless when it comes to any windows platforms!
Not a problem. If they won't stay put you know where to come in the future ;)

Return to “Joomla! 2.5 on IIS webserver”