3.1 upgrade missing 'Tags' menu item in admin interface

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
danscott
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

3.1 upgrade missing 'Tags' menu item in admin interface

Post by danscott » Sun May 19, 2013 8:46 am

Hi,

I updated to 3.1 a while back and encountered a few problems which I fixed. I still have a problem though. The 'Tags' menu item is missing from the admin interface. I went through the MySQL upgrade script and found the line which adds the menu item:

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO `j30menu` (`id`, `menutype`, `title`, `alias`, `note`, `path`, `link`, `type`, `published`, `parent_id`, `level`, `component_id`, `checked_out`, `checked_out_time`, `browserNav`, `access`, `img`, `template_style_id`, `params`, `lft`, `rgt`, `home`, `language`, `client_id`) VALUES (23, 'main', 'com_tags', 'Tags', '', 'Tags', 'index.php?option=com_tags', 'component', 0, 1, 1, 29, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 0, 1, 'class:tags', 0, '', 45, 46, 0, '', 1);
However, I already have a menu item with ID 23. It's one of my front end menu items. Should these items have a different ID range? Will it be a problem if I just use the next available ID?

Thanks,

Dan

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: 3.1 upgrade missing 'Tags' menu item in admin interface

Post by leolam » Sat May 25, 2013 2:14 pm

Go to Extensions>Manage>Database and hit the FIX button

That should resolve

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

danscott
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by danscott » Sun May 26, 2013 12:21 am

Hi,

The problem was far more severe than that. I've already run the fix database command - it reports no problems.

The menu item is still missing.

Dan

leolam
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by leolam » Sun May 26, 2013 2:43 am

[quote="danscott"I've already run the fix database command - it reports no problems[/quote]Purge Cache (both) and go Extensions Manager > Discover and hit the Discover button again and see what it tells you.

Leo 8)
Joomla's #1 Professional Services Provider:
#Joomla Professional Support: https://gws-desk.com -
#Joomla Specialized Hosting Solutions: https://gws-host.com -

danscott
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by danscott » Sun May 26, 2013 7:26 am

Hi,

Still no luck. Is the database patch script generated automatically? If it's not, then it's never going to work for me. The primary key ID conflicts with an existing entry.

Thanks for the help,

Dan

jokerunited
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jokerunited » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:46 am

I have the same problem. I tried everything is told before but the problem is still there.

Does anybody have the solution?

Any other things y can try?

Thank you for everything and sorry for my english.

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:30 pm

The id for backend menuitems is irrelevant. Just installed a clean J311 and id for tags is 471!
Find out whether you have a menuitem with title like "com_ta%". Does it have a value other than 0 in component_id? Find the id in #_extensions for tags and put that in component_id.

Or run SQL:
UPDATE #__menu
SET component_id = ( SELECT extension_id from #__extensions WHERE element = "com_tags" )
WHERE title = "com_tags";
Change #_ to your own prefix. It should update 1 row. Otherwise the menuitem is missing. Just add it removing id in the fieldlist and 23 in the valuelist.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

jokerunited
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by jokerunited » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Thank you, i solved it!!

the solution, changing the parameter of com_tags entry in _menu table manually with theese values!!!

also looking in _extension table ang changing some wrong values.

Thats great, thank yo again.

danscott
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by danscott » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Excellent! Working for me now, too.

Thanks,

Dan

Benjiw
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Benjiw » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:34 am

leolam wrote:[quote="danscott"I've already run the fix database command - it reports no problems
Purge Cache (both) and go Extensions Manager > Discover and hit the Discover button again and see what it tells you.

Leo 8)[/quote]

This worked for me, thanks Leo :)

njwjf
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by njwjf » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:55 am

I did an upgrade from Joomla 1.5 to 3 and the menu table was completely missing the com_tags entry

I created it manually using the sql quoted aboive as a guide:

INSERT INTO `j30menu` (`id`, `menutype`, `title`, `alias`, `note`, `path`, `link`, `type`, `published`, `parent_id`, `level`, `component_id`, `checked_out`, `checked_out_time`, `browserNav`, `access`, `img`, `template_style_id`, `params`, `lft`, `rgt`, `home`, `language`, `client_id`) VALUES (23, 'main', 'com_tags', 'Tags', '', 'Tags', 'index.php?option=com_tags', 'component', 0, 1, 1, 29, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 0, 1, 'class:tags', 0, '', 45, 46, 0, '', 1);
A few things to note.

id is auto-generated - so you don't put a value in for that.
component_id has to be looked up in the exntensions table
lft and rgt were tricky. What I decided was that they had to be consecutive and not already used in the menu table. I ended up with 207 208 as the next available numbers in my table.
Everything else I used as above

After that the Tags item appeared in the back-end menu

Just hope I didn't break anything

dalewj2
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by dalewj2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:13 pm

I did the above SQl statement in my database then discovered and installed tags and the entry appeared. From what i have read it looks right in the DB.

But when i add a tag in an article i get an error (no error listed jsut the words error). When i go in and ad a new tag by hand i get this

Error

Save failed with the following error: exception 'UnexpectedValueException' with message 'TagsTableTag::_getNode(1, ) failed.' in /home/kennywal/public_html/jconsult/libraries/joomla/table/nested.php:1459 Stack trace: #0 /home/kennywal/public_html/jconsult/libraries/joomla/table/nested.php(755): JTableNested->_getNode('1') #1 /home/kennywal/public_html/jconsult/administrator/components/com_tags/tables/tag.php(181): JTableNested->store(false) #2 /home/kennywal/public_html/jconsult/administrator/components/com_tags/models/tag.php(330): TagsTableTag->store() #3 /home/kennywal/public_html/jconsult/libraries/legacy/controller/form.php(692): TagsModelTag->save(Array) #4 /home/kennywal/public_html/jconsult/libraries/legacy/controller/legacy.php(722): JControllerForm->save() #5 /home/kennywal/public_html/jconsult/administrator/components/com_tags/tags.php(22): JControllerLegacy->execute('save') #6 /home/kennywal/public_html/jconsult/libraries/legacy/component/helper.php(355): require_once('/home/kennywal/...') #7 /home/kennywal/public_html/jconsult/libraries/legacy/component/helper.php(335): JComponentHelper::executeComponent('/home/kennywal/...') #8 /home/kennywal/public_html/jconsult/administrator/includes/application.php(165): JComponentHelper::renderComponent('com_tags') #9 /home/kennywal/public_html/jconsult/administrator/index.php(70): JAdministrator->dispatch() #10 {main}
lost in tag-less land

fleischwolf
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by fleischwolf » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:43 pm

If you have an entry for the menu item in your #_extensions table, but not in your #_menu table, drop the respective row in the #_extensions table and "discover" (as per leolams instructions above) the tags component.
Regards, fw.
Problem solved? Please add [SOLVED] to the thread title! -> http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=432&t=509319

sovainfo
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Post by sovainfo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:47 am

@dalewj2 Too bad you did both, especially if done in that order.
Next time trying to fix something follow this order:
- Extension manager->Discover with Install for extensions discovered
- Extension manager->Database with Fix for missing structural changes
- Using statement of *.sql in administrator/components/com_admin/sql/updates/mysql in phpMyAdmin

Don't do too many things in a row before verifying it resolves your problem.
Failed updates might require old files to be deleted, see cli/deletefiles.php.
Issue with migrating? Include logs/joomla_update.php in your report!
Blank screen? Verify pagesource for HTML code (javascript error)
Installation failing on populating database? Install with set_time_limit(0)
Document your customizations!

shiftCase
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by shiftCase » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:38 pm

fleischwolf wrote:If you have an entry for the menu item in your #_extensions table, but not in your #_menu table, drop the respective row in the #_extensions table and "discover" (as per leolams instructions above) the tags component.
PERFECT!

JohnLFox
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JohnLFox » Mon May 09, 2016 5:16 am

I have the same problem with the 'Tags' not showing in Components menu in 3.5.1.

I am new to this so I don't understand how to do the SQL or the other suggestions quoted here.

Tried these and they did not work for me.

"Go to Extensions>Manage>Database and hit the FIX button"
"[quote="danscott"I've already run the fix database command - it reports no problems[/quote]Purge Cache (both) and go Extensions Manager > Discover and hit the Discover button again and see what it tells you."

Need help please!

njwjf
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by njwjf » Mon May 09, 2016 5:37 am

JohnLFox wrote:I have the same problem with the 'Tags' not showing in Components menu in 3.5.1.

I am new to this so I don't understand how to do the SQL or the other suggestions quoted here.

Need help please!
You have to update the database. This requires you to use a 'database front end' of some sort to edit the relevant table in the database. For example in my web hosting I have access to PHPMyAdmin, which lets me edit the tables.

JohnLFox
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JohnLFox » Tue May 10, 2016 11:40 am

[/quote]

You have to update the database. This requires you to use a 'database front end' of some sort to edit the relevant table in the database. For example in my web hosting I have access to PHPMyAdmin, which lets me edit the tables.[/quote]

Okay, I understand how to get into the PHPAdmin. What tables must I look at and change?

JohnLFox
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by JohnLFox » Tue May 10, 2016 12:02 pm

Worked it out! Thanks guys!

jgress-
Joomla! Ace
Joomla! Ace

Post by jgress- » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Thank you @danscott. This worked great for me and I appreciate your post.
Jenn :)
Co-author Using Joomla, Second Edition (migration/upgrade included) http://www.usingjoomlabook.com
Find a Joomla User Group (JUG) near you http://community.joomla.org/user-groups.html

myPhone
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by myPhone » Sun May 20, 2018 10:42 am

fleischwolf wrote:If you have an entry for the menu item in your #_extensions table, but not in your #_menu table, drop the respective row in the #_extensions table and "discover" (as per leolams instructions above) the tags component.
+1, thanks for this tip! Using Discover and the Database Fix options were not resolving the problem for me. But dropping the "Tags" record from the extensions table allowed Joomla to reinstall it via the Discover option, and now the Tags component appears in the admin menu. Clean fix, and very simple.

I also dropped the pkg_weblinks menu item that has been handing around for a while. :)

Tom6293
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Tom6293 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:07 am

@danscott, sovainfo, njwjf

Thanks for your very helpful posts. My website suffered from the same problem and I was hesitant to tweak its database because I only started to "Joomla" 2 years ago. Anyway, it turned out that the corresponding "com_tags" entry in <prefix>_menu was completely missing. Therefore
  1. I determined the highest rgt value used in my <prefix>_menu. It was easy to find that value looking for "Menu_Item_Root" (ID=1). In the SQL command given below, that value then became the new lft and that value + 1 became the new rgt.
  2. I ran the SQL command:

INSERT INTO `<prefix>_menu` (`menutype`, `title`, `alias`, `note`, `path`, `link`, `type`, `published`, `parent_id`, `level`, `component_id`, `checked_out`, `checked_out_time`, `browserNav`, `access`, `img`, `template_style_id`, `params`, `lft`, `rgt`, `home`, `language`, `client_id`) VALUES ('main', 'com_tags', 'Tags', '', 'Tags', 'index.php?option=com_tags', 'component', 0, 1, 1, 29, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', 0, 1, 'class:tags', 0, '', <lft>, <rgt>, 0, '', 1);

Note, in this command you will have to replace the placeholders <prefix>, <lft> and <rgt> by corresponding values that apply to your database.
  3. Afterwards I edited "Menu_Item_Root" (ID=1) in <prefix>_menu and increased its rgt value by 2, so that all menu itmes including the new menu item would be enclosed by "Menu_Item_Root" (ID=1).
As a result, I now recovered the "Components ->Tags" menu in the administrator backend of my website.

Regards
Tom

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”