Epic interest loss across all major CMS

Share your Joomla wisdom with the Community on Trending Topics in this forum.
TheMuffinMan
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Epic interest loss across all major CMS

Post by TheMuffinMan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi @all,

I didn't spend too much time in the last months checking alexa for my website's reach stats but I did recently and was a little shocked to see the dramatic drop of reach and relevance for my site. I headed over to compare it with Joomla and it had the same dramatic drop. Another comparison Joomla! vs WordPress showed me that BOTH lost reach and especially traffic on epic scales.

First thinking, who gives, it's just alexa I checked some blogs and other stats (google trends) but it's similar everywhere: Joomla! is losing dramatically in interest, WordPress still wining in market share but in general, as it seems for all CMS, that content management systems are losing relevance.

What is happening here? Is this the result of mobile web, apps, cloud vs. traditional websites? Are the stats all wrong? Or is WordPress simply sucking all the rest of possible market shares from the rest of the other major CMS (Joomla, Drupal)?

What can be done in the Joomla project to catch up again? In my opinion joomla's current approaches in its update policy and how to give it back its uniqueness should be something to be reviewed. But is it really that simple?

Though I cannot agree with everything, this post nails most of it:
http://www.noupe.com/cms/glorious-past- ... 73987.html

Maybe Joomla should in long-term say goodbye to traditional CMS and delivering something new about dealing with content and getting back to be innovative?

What are users' and joomla team members' thinking about that? Is there awareness of the current developments and what would be the solutions?

Regards,
Markus

Cholent MT
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Re: Epic interest loss across all major CMS

Post by Cholent MT » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:44 am

Well first off I would like to say that wordpress has more hits because of wordpress.com although compare it to wordpress.org and Joomla isn't far off if not ahead.

Let me also say I stopped calling my self a website designer and started calling my self a web developer.

Now in days everyone thinks they know html and css etc... but not everyone knows mysql apache php jquery javascript etc...

CMS is not becoming a dead art. But idiot proof web builders are on the rise. On that note they are very limited compared to the capabilities of Joomla
http://www.thehonorablehacker.com
Hacking For Honor
A Blog To Learn Everything From Ethical Hacking To Design & Marketing!

Return to “Trending Topics”