After update to 3.2 Cannot Login new Users

Need help upgrading your Joomla! website or converting to Joomla! 3.x?

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10.
GPixels
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

After update to 3.2 Cannot Login new Users

Post by GPixels » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:39 am

Several issues happening with the Joomla 3.2 update, but the one critical one I have which is very important, is that existing users can log in the front-end, but if I create a new user in the backend, that user login doesn't work. I've made several test user accounts (registered group only) from the admin side and tried logging in but nothing happens after clicking Login....the login page just sits there.

So I am going to assume that something with the update to 3.2 has caused a problem with new registrations where if the account is created, the user cannot get past the login page (not getting logged in). Anyone else experiencing this?

toivo
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Re: After update to 3.2 Cannot Login new Users

Post by toivo » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Creating a new user in the back end and logging in worked in my test on an upgraded 3.2 running on a localhost Wamp server but failed on a site hosted on Linux. The password reset function fails "... because the verification code was invalid. User not found".

Those two are critical errors.
Toivo Talikka, Global Moderator

GPixels
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by GPixels » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi toivo...so it sounds like once the update was done to a 3.2, on a live server environment, you ran into a couple of problems in addition to what I am experiencing then?

...I agree, these are serious critical errors, especially because I run a membership based website, and if others are having these errors, it's bad for everyone.

Based on what I've been seeing in the forums, is that Joomla 3.2 is causing a lot of problems and probably should not have been released yet. Unfortunately I don't have a backup I could restore back to 3.1.x prior to 3.2 (which I already had 3 backups since the upgrade).

I will try a local setup and see if it works there, but it's odd if it does locally ( I use xampp) but not on a live server.

shadysi
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by shadysi » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi
I have experienced both problems tonight. I had a fresh installation of Joomla_3.1.5-Stable-Full_Package on which I performed update to 3.2 from Administrator.

After that new users were unable to login to frontend even if the user successfully finished confirmation process.

Other example is of "reset password" mechanism which does not work (email never comes to user).

Hope this gets fixed soon.
Br, E

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:34 pm

There have been several errors when updating ... I have successfully updated a fresh 2.5.16 to 3.2.0 and at another time the update failed. The only difference between the two times was that when it failed I had several processes running on my laptop. It is possible that something causing the update to hang corrupts the update ?

Other possibilities are that you did not update your third party extensions.

Suggest you restore using your backup and try again. You could install your backup locally and then transfer it to your live site.
http://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/
https://www.weblinksonline.co.uk/updating-joomla.html
"When I'm right no one remembers but when I'm wrong no one forgets".

larpo2
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by larpo2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:40 am

I have this problem - 3.1.5 to 3.2 - new users are created but cannot log in with the credentials confirmed in email.

I have tried enabling strong passwords in joomla user plugin but that does not fix it.

Rob-NL
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Rob-NL » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:53 pm

And another user suffering from the same problem: I can create new users, but they can not logon! Requesting a reset of the password also doesn't function well because the verification code isn't accepted.

Where to file a formal bugreport?

Rob-NL
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Rob-NL » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:41 pm

I found a workaround!

If you reset the password from out of the user management console, the password is stored correctly in the database and then the user can login again.

This requires however that you as an admin has to give in the users password again, or you have to set a new one (which is then send to the user via email).

I can not check if the user is able to reset/change his password from this point on.

Hope there will be a fix soon to solve this permanently. There is definitely something wrong here.

arthurf
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by arthurf » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:49 pm

Has there been any further progress on resolving this issue, I have tried everything suggested on the web without success. I have a backup prior to the update but put in a lot of work before the issues was identified as existing users can log in OK.
I am not hearing anything from Joomla just from extension providers.
To clarify, the password hash is not being generated correctly for new users. I can go in and put a known has i.e. admin or secret and it all works OK. Existing users are not affected.

BO-Samson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BO-Samson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Hello,

just onother user with this problem. Newly registered users can not login. Forgot passwort can not be reset.

I hope, a solution will be found fast.

Regards
Samson

TheWebSet
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TheWebSet » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:25 pm

There are several other forum threads going on currently about this issue.

This fix solves, at least temporarily, the inability for new users to log in:
https://github.com/Skullbock/joomla-cms ... 3dc393f966
The reset password functionality is still broken however.

There are many working on a solution though, as you can follow here:
http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla ... 95&start=0

Hope this helps.
"All government, of course, is against liberty."
H. L. Mencken

BO-Samson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BO-Samson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:36 pm

This workaround does not work for me. :-(

BO-Samson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BO-Samson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Sorry, does work, but strong passwords have to be acitvated of course.

mccarthy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mccarthy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Is there any update on this...I'm in the middle of a workshop where people are trying to register...its a nightmare.

BO-Samson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BO-Samson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Workaround from above should help you.

mccarthy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mccarthy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:17 pm

Not being a code person, do I change the line that's in red to the line that is in green?

BO-Samson
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by BO-Samson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Remove: if ($userPluginParams->get('strong_passwords') == 1)
and replace with: if ($userPluginParams->get('strong_passwords', 1) == 1)
After that you have to activate strong passwords. Than registration will work, but it will not be possible to change forgotten passwords.

mccarthy
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by mccarthy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:46 pm

Thank You! what do you mean "activate strong passwords" can't seem to find that setting? thanks

TheWebSet
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by TheWebSet » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:32 pm

mccarthy wrote:Thank You! what do you mean "activate strong passwords" can't seem to find that setting? thanks
Extensions >> Plugin Manager >> User - Joomla! >> Strong Passwords=Yes
"All government, of course, is against liberty."
H. L. Mencken

eboyce
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eboyce » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:31 am

I just installed a fresh copy of 3.2, registered a user through the front end, activated, logged in, logged out, and submitted a password reset, receiving the email and verification code. When submitting the code:

I get the "Your password reset confirmation failed because the verification code was invalid. User not found" error.

I tried creating a new user through the admin panel and had no problem logging in with the new user.

This is with a completely untouched, successful install of Joomla 3.2 ...

I guess the password reset function is simply broken?

eboyce
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by eboyce » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:47 pm

I created a new thread for just the broken password reset function problem and the solution provided (part of the next patch, i guess) worked really quickly, changing a single line of code:

http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 5#p3106625

Garamond
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by Garamond » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:12 pm

I must say, and this is a little off topic, but Joomla seems more and more bloated. They keep adding nifty features but forget the 'small' but important things.

Thumbs down on 3.2. Do NOT upgrade!

Alart
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Alart » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:00 am

I am having the same issue. While testing Mosets tree login. after registration the user is directed via email to a blank page. Then unable to login because of this Joomla! 3.2.0 bug. I have been working on a solution for the past 3 days so I a little relieved that it is a bug. However I hope someone has reported this.

bugfree
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bugfree » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:02 am

I have just upgraded from 3.1.5 to 3.2.0 and ran into this issue, that obviously is plaguing j3.2

I determined for myself that joomla user creation was not storing the password (correctly, if at all) after inserting the password again via backend and it worked.

after installing PayPlans (plugin) I then turned ON strong passwords (but left 2 Factor Auth 'off') and it works.
New accounts are created and the user can log in directly.

monica webmage
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by monica webmage » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:06 pm

Enabling both new plugins has worked for me (Two factor auth, and strong passwords). I did not disable two factor auth otherwise I would get locked out of the website. I don't like the "secret key" box that now appears for user login at the front end so I have hidden it with CSS. Not sure if there is another way to hide it so the CSS will have to do for now.

Cebby
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Cebby » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Why on earth would this be released with such an enormous error. Do you mean to say in all the testing done, not one person went through the user login process?

Not having the "secret key" form field easily shut off is another gross oversight.

I'm sorry I updated...

hecares
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by hecares » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:44 pm

I still can't get new users to be able to register. Its been almost 2 weeks and we have a nonprofit site for anyone victimized by abuse, trafficking and bullying internationally. Our site is http://www.removingchains.org
Help?!
The error we get when someone new registers is;

Error
Password too long. Please select a password with 55 or fewer characters

I tried the Bo-Samson link and did all it said here;
http://alterbrains.com/blog/100-joomla- ... m-solution
But it did not help us. Help?! I don't even know how to revert back to 3.1x so if someone can give me a link how to do that I will gladly do it!
Blair Corbett, Ark of Hope for Children

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:05 pm

hecares wrote:... I don't even know how to revert back to 3.1x so if someone can give me a link how to do that I will gladly do it!
It is called reinstating a backup ... you did back up the site before updating ... yes ?

hecares
Joomla! Intern
Joomla! Intern

Post by hecares » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:16 pm

Webdongle,

"It is called reinstating a backup ... you did back up the site before updating ... yes ?"

I am a non-profit director that helps abused and victimized people. I am forced back into website work due to our website guru dying 3 weeks ago without considering the implications it would have on us.
No I do not know entirely what I am doing but when I am told by Joomla to update our site to the latest "stable" release I had this odd trust thing happen within me. So, no there is no backup because our our sites automatically backup every other day, but we don't have HostGator store backups on our VPS that are 2 weeks old because we cannot afford the impact it will have on an increased hosting plan. So since we had no clue there was even a problem until at least 10 days later, the 3.1x backups are automatically purged and gone.

PS; "It is called.." really? Was that needed?

Webdongle
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Webdongle » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:08 pm

I am sorry to hear of your circumstances but it really has no bearing on problems with your site. And does not entitle you to preferential treatment for your posts on this forum. If you want specific help perhaps post a request on http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=177 someone may be willing to fix the site free of charge.

As for trusting an update ... backing up a site is for many reasons that are not related to the quality of an update. And keeping a copy of the database and files locally does not use server resources.

For future reference http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions ... ackup/1606 is a free extension that is easy to use. and will save manually backing up the site on localhost.
hecares wrote:...
PS; "It is called.." really? Was that needed?
It was a 'matter of fact' answer so yes it was. It tells you that
  1. Someone bothered to answer your question
  2. That I only know of that solution because I would have most likely put other solutions had I known of any

Return to “Migrating and Upgrading to Joomla! 3.x”