Can I overwrite a Joomla install with a fresh copy?

Joomla versions 2.5, 1.7 and 1.6 are all end-of-life since December 31st 2014 and are no longer supported. Please use Joomla 3.x instead.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
pcmediahost
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Can I overwrite a Joomla install with a fresh copy?

Post by pcmediahost » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:31 pm

I have resurrected a site from the dead (full server backup) which has a database with Jomsocial I need to keep. Ideally, I would like to just install Joomla 3, reinstall the database and then start from scratch with all the software updated. That appears to not be an option, so I assume that means I need to get this copy up to date.

I realize some or all of the issues I am having (listed below) may not be related to the install but for piece of mind, I would like to completely refresh the joomla installation I have.

Is there a way to do this, if so how and do you think it will help?

Kind Regards,
Exhausted

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of the issues I am having:

-Joomla Update was not showing (somewhat fixed now),
- When adding FTP settings it gives me a "JFTP: :write: Bad response Could not save data. Error: Could not write to the configuration file"
- A unclickable static message "Jomsocial.com is not connected" is at the top of admin panel, though the software itself is working.
- When going to "update" in extension manager, after purging then "find updates", I only get 3 programs, none of which are Jomsocial, which I am told should be there.
- When trying to update "JFBConnect for Joomla" I get a " JFolder::create: Infinite loop detected Unable to create destination Update path does not exist Error updating COM_INSTALLER_TYPE_TYPE_." error.
- When trying to update "SourceCoast Extensions Library for JFBConnect and JLinked - Compatible with JFBConnect component 5.0" I get a "Unknown Archive type Update path does not exist Error updating COM_INSTALLER_TYPE_TYPE_." error

And who knows what other errors I have to look forward too.

Per jomsocial support, I was advised to just install a new jomsocial and it did nothing but completely break the site to the point reinstalling the home directory and SQL database would not bring back the site, so I am apprehensive about doing anything else till I know for sure the Joomla installation is fine.

Current Versions:
JV-LinkDirectory 4.6.525
Joomla! Version 2.5.11
JomSocial Version: Version: 2.2.5
JFBConnect Version: 4.2.5
My verison: Beginner
Last edited by pcmediahost on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Re: Can I overwrite a Joomla install with a fresh copy?

Post by ribo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:44 am

you must update your joomla first to the latest version of 2.5 and after to the latest version of 3x.
check here a similar issue like yours http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=710&t=853250
note: don t forget to back up before update
chat room spontes : http://www.spontes.com

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ribo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:59 am

also about versions of your extensions you must update them if they are compatible in joomla 2.5 and in joomla 3, and if they are compatible and for joomla 2.5.x and for joomla 3.x you no need to uninstall them before update to joomla 3.
first of all you must restore your site as was before. i hope that you have a back up. if you don t ask your host if they have daily back ups to give you to restore it.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:00 am

pcmediahost wrote:- When adding FTP settings it gives me a "JFTP: :write: Bad response Could not save data. Error: Could not write to the configuration file"
Is there a reason for the need of the ftp layer? This option is normally off.

Please use the Forum Post Assistant.
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=621&t=582860

Unzip the 2.5.24 full distribution package. Delete the installation folder and upload to your site.

pcmediahost
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pcmediahost » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Thank-You Ribo,

I am using Joomla! Version 2.5.11. I can update through the Joomla! Update I got somewhat working (it still is not appearing on my admin panel but the link appears in the drop down). I am just having so many issues with the installation for piece of mind I was wondering if I could just refresh the installation then upgrade, in hopes it will alleviate the current issues or future issues I am having. Then use the Joomla! Update to migrate the site and database to Joomla! 3.x. All of the extensions listed have versions 3.x compatible.

----

Thank-You Per Yngve Berg,

The majority of issues have been resolved after updating Joomla! to version 2.5.24, then overwriting it (which did have some small effect listed below), then updating JFBConnect to Version: 6.1.1. Including the ability to login to the site.

After overwriting the Joomla! installation, instead of getting the two errors:
1) "JFolder::create: Infinite loop detected unable to create destination Update path does not exist Error updating COM_INSTALLER_TYPE_TYPE_."
2) "Unknown Archive type Update path does not exist Error updating COM_INSTALLER_TYPE_TYPE_." error,

I was instead getting a "Error connecting to the server: 403 - ACCESS FORBIDDEN" for both, but this was resolved by installing the updated version of JFBConnect, Version: 6.1.1

- I am still getting the FTP settings error but the notification telling me to update the JFBConnect is gone and I was advised by JFBC that it is no longer used. Resolved also for now.

----

QUESTIONS:

- Is this equal to just installing a new installation through Fantastico and just reinstalling the database?

- If not, is there a specific file my settings are in I can just apply after installing a new installation of Joomla!?

- When I do have a clean Joomla! 2.5.x installation, do I update all the extensions to be Joomla! 3 compliant first, then uninstall them to migrate to Joomla! 3, then reinstall them? By doing so this should make them in theory work immediately, correct?

Kind Regards,
Jeff
Last edited by pcmediahost on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:54 am, edited 11 times in total.

pcmediahost
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pcmediahost » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:54 pm

UPDATE: (for anyone interested in the results)

I found this related post earlier about someone who accidentally deleted some folders. In it the "Joomla Master" states: "Upload in binary mode with ftp all files and folders (not the installation folder!) and overwrite. That should resolve this"
http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=622&t=852665

*I was not sure if I should update to the current Joomla! (2.5.24) install first, so I did before overwriting the files.

RESULTS:

- Joomla! 2.5.24 did overwrite itself and I still have site and site-admin access.

- It did not overwrite my site's overall settings.

- It also however did not seem to fix any issues I was having.

- It did not seem to affect my extensions, except on the errors listed earlier.
Now instead of getting:

"JFolder::create: Infinite loop detected unable to create destination Update path does not exist Error updating COM_INSTALLER_TYPE_TYPE_." and the "Unknown Archive type Update path does not exist Error updating COM_INSTALLER_TYPE_TYPE_." error, I now get a "Error connecting to the server: 403 - ACCESS FORBIDDEN" on both.

This was resolved however by updating the JFBConnect to Version: 6.1.1

pcmediahost
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pcmediahost » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:58 pm

Okay, well everything still works okay, but I am noticing that my backup is much bigger in size now, like 500+ MB, when before it was only 160 MB or so and the site's responsiveness is slower.

At first I thought maybe my backup included other backups in it, but I had deleted all my prior backups and it still is around 500+ MB. The only other thing I have done besides overwrite my Joomla install and updgrade it, was install Ijoomla Installer and overwrite my JFBConnect extension and add the FPA assistant. None of those softwares were over 10mb in size (most much smaller).

- Does a sites size on the server affect its responsiveness on the internet?
- Would overwriting the Joomla install cause the increase in file size?
- If so why so much?
- If it is Joomla are there any files I can delete?
- Should I reinstall the backup before overwriting the Joomla install and just not overwrite it?

Kind Regards,
Jeff

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ribo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:06 pm

pcmediahost wrote: - Should I reinstall the backup before overwriting the Joomla install and just not overwrite it?

Kind Regards,
Jeff
if you have a back up of your site as it was before it s better to restore it. after that update first to the latest version of 2.5 , back up again and after update to the latest version of joomla 3 with the right way(uninstall joomla 2.5 extensions , disable remember me system plugin , update) this is update, no overwriting. after update install the joomla 3 extensions you need

plaja
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by plaja » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:10 pm

Thx, you help me more

pcmediahost
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by pcmediahost » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Thank you,

Do you have any idea why my sites contents would suddenly grown in size like that. It is not likely related to overwriting Joomla, is it?

ribo
Joomla! Virtuoso
Joomla! Virtuoso

Post by ribo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:48 am

i don t know exactly why your site is grow in size. the only folder you can see if it is very big is the tmp. if you overwrite by ftp in j2.5 the j3x files maybe will be bigger but not so much. any way this is not the right way for update. it s good every time you want to update to create back up by your shelf but also i use automatic back up by my server and i did n t faced such an issue

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:09 am

Check temp and cache folder.

pcmediahost
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

(resolved) Can I overwrite a Joomla install with a fresh cop

Post by pcmediahost » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Thank you Ribo and Per Yngve Berg for your help.

As I was reading all of this, I could see how little I knew of Joomla. Kind of entertaining considering I still don't think I know very much. Per Yngve Berg, I see that I did not answer your question. The FTP setting was on for no other reason, than I just didn't know what they hell I was doing. :) The size issue I believe was fixed by the freelancer, I think it was partially those folders mentioned and I remember right the server was adding something called core records or something like that to my server space.

What I learned, was yes if you follow the instructions on how to overwrite your files, you can overwrite them with a fresh clean install, will it fix any issues you are having, well it didn't really for me, but it was comforting to know that it was a fresh install (maybe there was something that was overwritten or code that was uploaded when the FTP was not in binary or something, that could have caused undiscovered issues). I was ultimately able to slowly go through the upgrade process, first with Joomla, then with each extension (which was the pain in the butt part, as each extension can also have different ways to upgrade within that version of Joomla, before it is ready for Joomla 3.x).. but I did cheat a little (well maybe a lot) as well. I ultimately went on to UpWork.com and paid a freelancer about $225 as there was a database that was not created with Joomla, that needed to be implemented as well. It is usually not that much, you can find someone to fix small problems for $20- $40. I think most jobs are around $100, but just ensure you have a list of everything that has been bugging you, made out, so that you can throw it on them and get everything resolved at once.

I am now running the most recent version of Joomla, have JVLinkDirectory with my old database from 2002, Jomsocial, JSocialChat, JFBConnect (love this software, lets people login with FB and all that, plus keeps the member profiles implemented with all extensions I have on the site, all in one sign in)EasyBlog, and probably one the best extensions on Joomla, Akeeba for backups. Not only do they have a great free extension, there support answers many of the general questions you could be having with your site, it if was just recently reinstalled or if you find yourself without access.

Hope this helps someone.. :)

Return to “Installation Joomla! 2.5”