Help us test the new Joomla! Brand Manual

ChiaraAliotta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Help us test the new Joomla! Brand Manual

Post by ChiaraAliotta » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:24 pm

After one year of working on the brand manual, which describes how to correctly use the Joomla! logo, we are now ready to share this work with all of you.
Along with Duke, leader of the Trademark team, and Jessica Dunbar, leader of the Marketing Working Group, we reviewed the topics of the brand manual and created a table of contents that is much more adequate for our needs than the 2005 brand manual.
The draft of the brand manual is published on [issuu].com: http://[issuu].com/joomladocs/docs/201503 ... al_basic_d

At this point, please only send us comments and feedback that are pertinent to testing the brand manual: are concepts clearly explained and illustrated? Do you need more specifications on how to use the Joomla! signature?
Further more, special help is needed on the FAQs and glossary. Those are two new parts of the brand manual that we thought were important to add. They include the most common questions people have asked us and that I found myself to answer during my year as Brand Manager.
Most of the questions you ask in our forum thread will be added to those sections, and we want to make sure that answers are clear and use practical examples if required.

We want to thank all of you in advance for your effort and help in this.
Last edited by ChiaraAliotta on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jessicadunbar
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Re: Help us test the new Joomla! Brand Manual

Post by jessicadunbar » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:20 pm

YAY it's finally here! You know I love it! I don't know what I would do without you:) Thank you so much for this Chiara, We are forever indebted to you!
Jessica Dunbar
Follow Me
Twitter : https://twitter.com/jessicadunbar/

alexred
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by alexred » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:23 pm

Congratulations Chiara and for all the teams involved, great job!
Can we download the PDF file for the manual?
Member of the Italian Joomla Translation Team

Kubik-Rubik
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Kubik-Rubik » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:28 pm

This is awesome! Thank you very much for the great work to the whole team and especially to you, Chiara!

Greetings
Cheers
Viktor

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions https://kubik-rubik.de
Former member of Joomla! Production Leadership Team, Security Strike Team and Bug Squash Team

ChiaraAliotta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ChiaraAliotta » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:28 pm

Hello Alex,
the manual is still a draft. We want to avoid you download it on your desktop and then refer to it even when the final one is published.
We may have important changes, so better wait for the final version which will be of course downloadable and available on Joomla.org along with the files of the signature in hi-res.

Chiara.

Ps. Jess thanks a lot to you and all the Marketing Working Group who has supported this endless job.

mandville
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by mandville » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:31 pm

totally personal comments,
beyond the fact your link doesnt work properly (auto censor?) and the dreadful site it was located on. give me a link i can download and actually read at my leisure.

i found the document a great piece of sales literature. loose the happy clappy quotes and the "we are the world" photographs. work on the KISS principle

wheres the section on fan art? wheres the section on disclaimers

thats not discounting the hard work thats gone in it after ten years
HU2HY- Poor questions = Poor answer
Un requested Help PM's will be reported, added to the foe list and possibly just deleted
{VEL Team Leader}{TM Auditor }{ Showcase & Security forums Moderator}

QBParis
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by QBParis » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:37 pm

Chiara and team, congratulations on a great looking brand manual! I know you put in a lot of time and effort... it shows! I love the community photos and the quotes. It is clean and polished. AND, all of Joomla will now know the difference between ® and ™ !! :-)

Brava!! :D

ChiaraAliotta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ChiaraAliotta » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:40 pm

Hello Mandville,
the link has been fixed. See message above.

Thanks for the feedback.

Chiara

219jondn
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by 219jondn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:19 pm

Would the brand manual itself be better positioned on an actual website, maybe as a section on the docs site, instead of only located in a PDF?

This would make the brand manual much more accessible, searchable, and easily reference-able for specific questions where users need pointed to specific parts of the manual.
Respectfully,
Jon Neubauer
Tweet at me @219jondn

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:38 pm

As Chiara stated
the manual is still a draft. We want to avoid you download it on your desktop and then refer to it even when the final one is published.
Hence it is not available as a pdf etc for download YET

I have emailed Chiara various small typos
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

219jondn
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by 219jondn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:41 pm

I wasn't really even talking about a PDF for download yet. I understand it's a draft - if you would read my post, this was a comment for the final version. One of the hassles with even the current brand manual is that you can't easily point people to a specific thing or place in the manual.

It would seem to me to be much more efficient to house the final version as a part of a website (and maybe as a pdf as well) where specific sections (like, say, the color palette, or the section on typography, both of which are common for questions) can easily be linked to.
Respectfully,
Jon Neubauer
Tweet at me @219jondn

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:43 pm

Ah sorry I misread your intent - you were saying you wanted it to be as a web page and not a pdf?

If so then I am 1000000% agree with you. It's content and we are a content management system so we should be using it to display our own content.

Maybe that is the plan - who knows - but I hope it is
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

coolparth
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by coolparth » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:47 am

Hi Chiara !

Thank you so much for your awesome work. Thank you for for being patient with us !

If we want to make it easy for ppl to annotate and add comments, we can consider publishing this on a platform that allows that. As Chiara said, this is a draft so the final version will ofcourse be made available on the Joomla.org site. I am assuming to start with it will be PDF but if we need a HTML version, it can be created.

Parth
Parth Lawate Director
Tekdi Web Solutions. http://www.tekdi.net
Techjoomla. http://www.techjoomla.com

JacquesR
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by JacquesR » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:24 am

Thank you Chiara for sharing this document for comment.

I suggest adding "DRAFT" (or similar) to the top of the pages of this document, to avoid miss-understanding if this draft version is shared via other channels. (the viewing app for instance facilitates sharing via twitter. G+ etc.)

For clarity: Is this document meant to be a guide for Joomla Project official sites & communications, or Joomla users, or both?

infograf768
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by infograf768 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:30 am

Suggest the possibility to download in one move all different logos instead of the system proposed in Google+
Jean-Marie Simonet / infograf
---------------------------------
ex-Joomla Translation Coordination Team • ex-Joomla! Production Working Group

b-ronnow
Joomla! Guru
Joomla! Guru

Post by b-ronnow » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:21 am

Hi Chiara !

Great work you and the team have put in it.
I have no further to say about it.
Best regards
Brian
-- Udvikling og opsætning af Joomla og Webshop --
http://www.jug-soroe.dk. Få et netværk af entusiaster for Joomla! og webudvikling

ChiaraAliotta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ChiaraAliotta » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:23 am

Hello all!
Thanks for your feedback.

To answer your questions: I strongly want this brand manual to be online as an interactive one (although a PDF may always exists for download). We are still evaluating the way it will be, but definitively it is in our plan not to leave it as a PDF document.
We are also evaluating the idea to have the logo in a GitHub repository for easy access and download in one move, as suggest infograph768.

I will post soon another link where you can download the draft (as Jacques suggested, I will make sure it writes draft to avoid confusion) so that you can check it. I just thought that [issuu] was a good way to share it, but it hurts the eyes check typos in that way.
I agree.

I do appreciate your enthusiasm and involvement in this.
Best regards,

formfranska
Joomla! Enthusiast
Joomla! Enthusiast

Post by formfranska » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:50 am

Chiara and all others involved,
Fantastic work! I will use this clear and orderly structure as a reference in my own work with graphic design!
I had the exact same comments as has already been aired here (and responded to):
1) The final Brand manual both online and as PDF for download.
2) Logo files: access and download in one move.
3) As long as the brand manual is a draft, pleas mark it as a draft to avoid confusion.

But guys! I'm so impressed! And I for sure can understand how much "blood sweat and tears" have gone in to this work! THANK YOU <3
Joomler in Sweden :-)
https://www.formfranska.com

cnielsen
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by cnielsen » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Great job folks! Glad to see such clarity defined.
:pop

CN

NivF007
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by NivF007 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:25 am

I agree with formfranska on all points.
formfranska wrote:Chiara and all others involved,
Fantastic work! I will use this clear and orderly structure as a reference in my own work with graphic design!
I had the exact same comments as has already been aired here (and responded to):
1) The final Brand manual both online and as PDF for download.
2) Logo files: access and download in one move.
3) As long as the brand manual is a draft, pleas mark it as a draft to avoid confusion.

But guys! I'm so impressed! And I for sure can understand how much "blood sweat and tears" have gone in to this work! THANK YOU <3
Additionally - while some to have opinions otherwise, mine is that I like the interactivity, the taglines, quotes, etc. - to me this really brings out the persona of Joomla and the community - so while I respect and understand the opinions of those who don't agree - I'm hoping this stays in.

Most of all, I'd like to express how 'blown away' I am at the fab job the team has done on this. I'm super impressed.

Hat's off and thanks to the team!

Niv

ChiaraAliotta
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by ChiaraAliotta » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:51 pm

Dear community!

Thank you for your time and your comments.
I updated the brochure with some notes (thanks Brian Teeman) and adding the DRAFT note on each page (or almost).
You can download this draft version from our Drive folder.

Looking forward to further comments or any improvement.

Please note that this is a DRAFT and it is subject to change. Please don't refer to this copy to produce artworks or other brand-related materials. A final and correct copy will be published soon.

Thank you!
Last edited by alikon on Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: bitly url

bignato
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by bignato » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Nice Job!

Duke3D
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by Duke3D » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Chiara simply does awesome work!

Just a note about where this goes from here. Several of you are asking about online and downloadable versions and the like. Please know that everything from an online version, a downloads page, downloadable designer kits and more are "In the Plan" for the implementation of this guide and have been from the beginning of this project.

For now, as the bugs are being ironed out, the team is trying to not have too many "draft versions" of these assets becoming widely shared until the content is finalized and released. It makes it so much easier on everyone if we work from and iterate one master version until we are ready to put it into Production.

Please let the team know with replies below if there are gaps they need to fill or "rules" that seem unclear. Please look at it from the Point of View of a community contributor trying to apply these rules to art you are placing on a Joomla.org page you are working on, and also as a third-party developer or web agency interested in using the Joomla wordmark and brandmark in your own marketing materials. Chiara and her team have the ambitious goal of creating one document that applies equally well in both contexts. I think she has done a brilliant job and it is time to kick the tyres. Would you or your designer have a clear idea of what is permitted or not? (Aside from licensing which does not belong in the Brand Manual.)

Everyone's input is most appreciated.

darb
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by darb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:43 am

Great!

Is there any announcement on Joomla front page with a direct link to this document anywhere so people can see it not only from this forum post? Maybe on the top Download menu link or somewhere....
ChiaraAliotta wrote:Dear community!

Thank you for your time and your comments.
I updated the brochure with some notes (thanks Brian Teeman) and adding the DRAFT note on each page (or almost).
You can download this draft version from our [drive] folder.

Looking forward to further comments or any improvement.

Please note that this is a DRAFT and it is subject to change. Please don't refer to this copy to produce artworks or other brand-related materials. A final and correct copy will be published soon.

Thank you!

AlexVega
Joomla! Hero
Joomla! Hero

Post by AlexVega » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:00 am

Hi there!

Yes, Here you have the page:
https://docs.joomla.org/Joomla:Brand_Identity_Elements

From here you can see a link called Joomla! Brand Manual 2015
or here you have the link:
http://[issuu].com/joomladocs/docs/201503 ... _basic_d/1

Don't forget to remove the characters [] from the word [issuu].

Cheers!

Return to “Joomla! Marketing and PR Team”